ArenaNet Studio Update: July 2021

7 minutes ago, Ayrilana.1396 said:

You do realize that is about as likely to be representative to what it’ll look in game as the loading screen artworks do for their respective maps. 

this is the first time that I have recoiled in disgust while looking at a guild wars 2 screen

they confused shing jea with the planet of little green men from outer space

why change a perfect landscape to goose poo green? we can be original without destroying a landscape.

they did a wonderful job at elona and yet it has changed a lot ...

8 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

its been like 260 years surely it could have changed right?

Edited by radda.8920
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

5 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

So what is that mesmer holding in the blogpost a dagger?

To me it looks more like they're holding a spear. The tip at the bottom and her left arm holding the back end of the spear.

Two daggers is obviously more likely, but the fact that the other dagger is blending into the silhouette and you can't make out the tip of the other dagger makes me think that it's more likely a spear. It also looks like the staff of the spear continues up behind her right hand though I suppose it could just be an extra long dagger. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Pretty disappointed that the expansion was planned to come out so late to begin with, much less the delay. But plenty to focus on in real life in the meantime.

Excited to have Colin back. I know a lot of people were upset with him during Heart of Thorns but that expansion is what really drew me into the game. Looking forward to learning more in July and finally being able to use the armory in a couple weeks.

• Confused 2

Well I'd have to say that the delay isn't a huge surprise, the current return to LS 2-5 event kinda told us that already but I'm disappointed that we'll be spending 6+months more in recycled content. 

I'm curious to see what the returning Devs bring back with them. I hope that the expansion brings exciting new content and a good roadmap for the future of gw2 after the expansion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, radda.8920 said:

there is enough to be toxic, they transform my favorite environment of guild wars  1 (shing jea) to change it into a cartoon of my little pony ...

my god, this green, this is terrible to see.

I think you remember Shing Jea Island much different than it actually was...

https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/5/5a/Shing_Jea_Island.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

I think you remember Shing Jea Island much different than it actually was...

https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/5/5a/Shing_Jea_Island.jpg

https://twitter.com/that_shaman/status/1411084972379750400

yes totally different, the colors are darker in gw1, the green was sober, it did not attack your eyes .In this screen, it's a kind of fluorescent pissy green that stings the eyes

Even the roofs of buildings, I find it really bland ...

afterwards it may be an image of a non-definitive decor and that it will be different when the extension will be released, in this case it would be excusable but turn the magnificent monastery into this thing ...

what reassures me is that I'm far from being the only one to think so, just go for a ride on reedit

in general, the environments are really the quality of  arena.HOT and POF had just magnificent maps with suitable colors but now I'm a little afraid, I admit. Wait and see.

Edited by radda.8920
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

34 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

Well I'd have to say that the delay isn't a huge surprise, the current return to LS 2-5 event kinda told us that already but I'm disappointed that we'll be spending 6+months more in recycled content. 

I'm curious to see what the returning Devs bring back with them. I hope that the expansion brings exciting new content and a good roadmap for the future of gw2 after the expansion.

This. I'm fine with a delay, but having more filler until then is bad.

Other than that, I'm stoked.

4 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

yes totally different, the colors are darker in gw1, the green was sober, it did not attack your eyes .In this screen, it's a kind of fluorescent pissy green that stings the eyes

afterwards it may be an image of a non-definitive decor and that it will be different when the extension will be released, in this case it would be excusable but turn the magnificent monastery into this thing ...

what reassures me is that I'm far from being the only one to think so, just go for a ride on reedit

in general, the environments are really the quality of  arena.HOT and POF had just magnificent maps with suitable colors but now I'm a little afraid, I admit. Wait and see.

You're living in the past. Most games go for vibrantly cartoony over the bland dark fantasy of yesteryear.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

Because Reddit has a reputation for being objective and rational?

Yes its brighter, but thats not a bad thing. You and I guess a few other individuals don't like it. Not a big deal. You'll get over it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

You're living in the past. Most games go for vibrantly cartoony over the bland dark fantasy of yesteryear.

it was not the case in HOT and POF, I find that the environments even if they could be colored, were sometimes dark and never fluorescent ... Yes I admit that cantha entirely in this style, that would be unplayable for me

Until now, the rest of the game does not seem '' cartoony'' to me, not like this screen.

6 minutes ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

Because Reddit has a reputation for being objective and rational?

Yes its brighter, but thats not a bad thing. You and I guess a few other individuals don't like it. Not a big deal. You'll get over it.

a little more than this forum, I think yes

Edited by radda.8920
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

I don’t like the EoD environment either, I think it is extremely vibrant colour-wise, which does not remind me of GW1 version at all. Like, the disparity is too brutal to be realistic.

But hey this is what it is, least they feed us new elite specs and other content. You must have noticed already in 2012 that GW2 has kinda goofy aesthetics in comparison to GW1 which was a design masterpiece. It’s just a different fantasy, I focus on the combat and exploration - these are the strong parts of GW2

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Thanks 1

For my part I also find Shing Jea much too fluorescent, I hope that the totalitarian, windy, foggy, "Lovecraftian" atmosphere will be present in Cantha's maps. We can't wait for the 27th, in order to be clear. I still have expectations on Largos, and an upstream bet from Sayeh Al Rajhid. For the specialization, it makes me think "quickly" of the NOVA in Black Desert Online, which might be nice, if it's a dagger.  Personally, I don't mind that it's postponed as long as it's not for nothing, and they significantly improve the expansion.

It would be a big middle finger for players not to include Tengus and Largos (along with Tetyos Chambers) in the expansion.

I keep my fingers crossed for a Warlock for the necromancer. (Summoner of demons and use of Asian talismants ! )

Edited by rylien.3824
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Me = on and off - but mostly off - long time player. Been around since launch and while GW2 never quite hooked me, I've always kept an eye on it.

I find the language of this post to be potentially promising and that maybe there is a future for me with this game as more than just an on and off or even just regular casual player. 

ArenaNet was founded with the goal of pursuing innovation by focusing on solving player problems first. Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 are direct results of this pursuit. It’s essential that this player-first approach is at the heart of everything we do going forward.

Today we’ll be sharing some important updates about our upcoming expansion, Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons™, the live game, and some changes we’re making to realign ourselves with the ideals that shaped the Guild Wars franchise from the very beginning. I believe that the best is yet to come for Guild Wars 2.

This is an implied admission that they lost this focus on players to the game's detriment and are now course correcting. 

For what it's worth, this is my player perspective and suggestions.

1) Love Sylvari unreservedly. Absolutely everything about them. I have no criticism other than that I'd love to see more plant / leafy type armour options. What's there is spectacular but it's a tiny drop in the ocean of GW2 fashion. In fact, the reason I'm playing this Dragon Bash event is to get the Summer Light and Spring Warmth weapon skins.

And while it didn't immediately catch my eye, I grabbed the Holographic Leaf skin for my ranger and love that thing. Still not enough to play my ranger but that weapon skin makes him feel more authentic.

2) The biggest turn off - at launch - and reason I didn't get into group content was your initially doing away with trinity. I love playing healers and there was no room for me here. With HoT you reversed that bad decision and introduced dedicated healers like the druid elite spec and revenant's Ventari. Hooray. Though for other reasons I stopped playing and never got to enjoy that reversal.

3) The Mastery System. I hate it. This is essentially forcing players to play every part of the game - or be permanently and irrevocably kitten with an effectively under max level. Crazy. Stupid. Wrong.  It's great to offer players lots of different ways to enjoy the game like open world, jumping puzzles, dungeons etc., and fine to offer achievements for those, but transparently punishing players for not playing all of them is one of the worst game design decisions I've ever seen.

Seemingly your intention was driven by internal greed. You wanted to force players to at least play all those different things enough to get those mastery points to ungimp themselves, and hoped that they'd enjoy them and play and spend more. But it's far more likely that you just drove players away.

I have nowhere near max and don't really care that all of my "xp" is just being farted away into the void at this point. I'd rather pointlessly fart away that xp into the void than force myself to jump through all your little hoops.

4) Elite specs are another huge mistake and were the key reason I didn't buy PoF. It wasn't a hugely expensive expansion and has been on sale many times. But the elite specs were just a massive slap in the face that I didn't want to give you any of my money for it.

To my eye it seems like these are all again driven by internal greed. Instead of creating elite specs for players of those professions to enjoy, you're cramming other profession mechanics into them in the hope of making each profession more appealing to players of other professions.

Revenants

In the HoT pre-release media revenant seemed like one of the answers to my prayers. A non-cooldown based profession other than thief, which thematically isn't to my tastes at all. While the reality turned out to be only a half answer to my prayers because they had cooldowns on weapon abilities and weapon swap, at least their at launch legends seemed to be mostly free of them.

Except for the herald elite spec. Super disappointing that their incredibly cool looking dragon magic abilities were all on cooldowns but at least you could theoretically ignore those and just use the toggle buffs.

Then there was renegade, crammed to the gills with cooldowns. Not only did all but one legend utility use them, but it also introduced 2 F skills with cooldowns. Ugh. All by itself enough to hate them, but also awful in other respects. Building and consuming stacks of some-ridiculous buff. Double ugh.

I don't think revenant was ever intended for players like myself who don't love cooldowns. Rev was intended to be something between thief and other professions, which many thief players might not touch. Get them to enjoy rev and maybe they'll play other profs too. Or that's what you hoped...

Other Professions

I'm super not a fan of cooldown driven combat so not hugely into other professions, but there are some things I enjoy about others and PoF seemed to poop on all of them.

Engineers being free of weapon / kit cooldown is one of the things I love most about the base prof. Not a big fan of them visually though. Steampunk is not to my tastes. If I could apply plant or Asura styles to them it would substantially increase their appeal.

So theoretically Holosmith could have been very much to my tastes. Except it arbitrarily throws in a 6 second cooldown for kits. Probably to match the unnecessary 6 second cooldown for photon forge deactivation. Accordingly instead I just see them as engineers minus their best feature.

What was your goal? Get engineers to accept weapon swap cooldown and suddenly they'd stop minding that limitation of every other profession, and possibly play them? 

Same story for ranger. They're barely nature themed as it is. They're fighters with a pet. Minus pet, aka Soulbeast, they're nothing to me.

Elementalists were not exactly the same story. Weaver at least tried to appeal to an existing ele playstyle. But as it happens not the one I prefer. Manically swapping attunements / weapons / legends as often as possible is another one which makes me go Ugh.

PoF - because of its elite specs - just sucks joy out of the game.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7

I've been a pessimist for the last 4 years, seeing this game go down in what felt like a giant fire. Been around since the beginning, so it felt like something precious was being taken from us. However, THIS post alone, is giving me hope. Welcome back old homies, we missed ya.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thank you for the delay Anet.

No i'm not making that as a sarcastic or snide comment here.
I am genuinely relieved, grateful and happy to hear that End of Dragons is being delayed until next year.

I've made no secret about my feelings for the finale of IBS.. and how much that negative experience has.. for want of a better word, devastated a lot of my enthusiasm and faith in Guildwars 2 as a game..

Gw2 maybe riding a high point atm with a new expansion coming and all this new/old stuff going on in the game and more that's coming, but as a long time player of this franchise I personally feel that I have never been at more of a low point for this game than I am currently.

I feel extremely bitter atm towards things that can be seen as rushed and unfinished.. and probably my biggest concern about End of Dragons after that IBS finale is that it will suffer a similarly disappointing end.
Another rushed and ruined dragon, another botched storyline that ignores established lore, another expansion that just didn't deliver on the big content dump so many of us have wanted since this game came out.. and worst of all, a region of the world that some of us have been itching to re-discover for almost a decade!! ends up being a boring, disappointing experience to explore.

To hear that End of Dragons is being delayed genuinely makes me feel better about the game and it's future.
It shows me that you Anet, care enough about this game enough to say "we need more time" which after that IBS finale is something that I really, really needed to hear, it's restored at least a little of my lost faith in Gw2.

So again, thank you.. genuinely, and if it turns out when 2022 rolls around that you still need more time to work on End of Dragons to make it the best it can be.
Then please delay it again instead of releasing an unfinished "good enough" quality expansion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, that's all pretty big and exciting news. I just hope that people don't all freak out, etc on the first round of bugs or missteps or general issues that will no doubt happen with such a range of big changes.

There will be bugs and problems and Anet will need some time to mange and work through it all, tho no doubt more live beta testing will help and is a great step in the right direction. As is communication, even if it can be a bit tricky in an ever changing game development environment.

With this announcement in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if EoD turns out NOT to be the last expansion for GW2. To do an engine upgrade means to put serious resources into renewing a game. It does not seem likely that ANet would upgrade the game at this point just to call it quits after EoD. That's serious wasted potential. I suspect someone somewhere in the bowels of the company is starting to muse "well we can put another continent here, or maybe create new worlds that the players can portal to, or......".

• Like 3

This sounds very promising. A lot of precise info on a lot of things that people wanted to see in the game. Expansion being delayed a bit is good as well - the new story achievements for the older stuff ... will have a lot of people replaying that stuff + it will be interesting for new players. After that we then have more festivals and some "free" time (people hungry for new content will cry but you can't satisfy everyone) - for everyone to get "ready" for the expansion.

Alliances and DX11 were stuff that has been requested a lot. Looking forward to the alliances thing.