ArenaNet Studio Update: July 2021

2 minutes ago, Raizel.1839 said:

Who is him? Someone famous here?

He's the guy that swung a sword, and swung a sword, and swung a sword again!

AKA the game's hype man and director from launch through HoT, the man with a million watt smile.

• Like 5

so, leaving the koolaid aside...

to noone's surprise they are running way behind schedule and have to delay the expac.

great, so that means  IBS was awfully mutilated for.....nothing

and we all are gonna have to endure months  after months of absolutly nothing new, farming the same maps for the million-th time

all while everybody else is having fun in FF14, ESO, WoW, Lost Ark, New World and many other direct competitors which managed to actually stick to their goals for the next months

good lord, this is gonna be real rough, how many people is GW2 going to lose to other games? and can it afford losing them? arent we already barebones?

Edited by Konrad Curze.5130
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

Well, I must admit, I liked that post. Moving the release of EoD does not trouble me in the least. We don't need a half finished release like HoT again.

WvW news? Good! Alliances coming? Hm... I belong to the few who think that alliances will fix nothing. But hey. Lets see.

And the move to d11! Good! Would have prefered Vulkan, but you can't have everything. 

• Like 3

If I would have to provide commentary, I would say an external benchmark similar to what FFXIV provides would go a long way in helping prospective players determine if their PC setup is the problem.

Right now many of the complaints people have about the client are because they have not turned down settings and think that this is a GPU-bound game when the majority of MMOs are not.

With the return of Josh Davis and a timeline for Alliances testing, it brings back hope for the competitive side of the game.

P.S. Welcome back Colin! Full speed ahead for hype train 😆

---

Just now, makiftasova.6209 said:

Why not Vulkan?

I mean, i know there are things like DXVK exists, but why not switch to Vulkan and keep more possibilities open?

Vulkan is supported by pretty much any GPU (for nvidia pretty much every GPU since Kepler, and for AMD since GCN). It recently got its ray tracing support, and pretty much supported on every single OS in the market today (including Android since 7.0 and Apple devices thanks to MoltenVK)

If I had to guess it is probably easier to port from DX11 to DX12/VK than to go from DX9 to DX12/VK?

DX12/VK both require proper memory management as they are lower level APIs.

Edited by Infusion.7149

6 minutes ago, Konrad Curze.5130 said:

to noone's surprise they are running way behind schedule and have to delay the expac.

and we all are gonna have to endure months  after months of absolutly nothing new, farming the same maps for the million-th time

all while everybody else is having fun in FF14, ESO, WoW, Lost Ark, New World and many other direct competitors which managed to actually stick to their goals for the next months

good lord, this is gonna be real rough, how many people is GW2 going to lose to other games? and can it afford losing them? arent we already barebones?

Yeaaahh...I Don't mind waiting, it's not like my life revolves around the game, but I do think that this whole thing was a slap to our face.. Remembering the first teaser we got, I wouldn't doubt it if the expac was just being started upon, instead of any progress having been made already. That may be why Champions was gutted and now we are bound to a content drought till early 2022, which may be anything from January till March.

Anyway, we shall see how the game survives until then. You can't have the hype for an expac last for a year and a half with just a post every 6 months or sum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

We’re actively working on upgrading our engine to DirectX 11, and we expect to be able to roll it out in an opt-in beta later this year

Why not Vulkan?

I mean, i know there are things like DXVK exists, but why not switch to Vulkan and keep more possibilities open?

Vulkan is supported by pretty much any GPU (for nvidia pretty much every GPU since Kepler, and for AMD since GCN). It recently got its ray tracing support, and pretty much supported on every single OS in the market today (including Android since 7.0 and Apple devices thanks to MoltenVK)

5 minutes ago, Konrad Curze.5130 said:

That's the negativity that will not help at all.
The game has plenty of content for 3 years of playing ( for new players that join nowdays so we will not lose the new players for sure). only veterans are on the bad spot. 
Also WoW lost a lot of players who joined gw2 recently and many wow streamers that abandoned wow  are promoting gw2. Stop being negative . The announcement today was the best possible announcement, dx11 ( like guaranteed  longetivity for the game as new engine will open opportunities for more developement) and wvw  rework( for veterans that might be really refreshing). Also knowing that the EoD expansion will be delayed is good as it might be way better than expected after all. The fact that it is delayed doesn't mean that they are not working on it since IBS got dumped.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Owatatsumi.5038 said:

That's the negativity that will not help at all.
The game has plenty of content for 3 years of playing ( for new players that join nowdays so we will not lose the new players for sure). only veterans are on the bad spot. 
Also WoW lost a lot of players who joined gw2 recently and many wow streamers that abandoned wow  are promoting gw2. Stop being negative . The announcement today was the best possible announcement, dx11 ( like guaranteed  longetivity for the game as new engine will open opportunities for more developement) and wvw  rework( for veterans that might be really refreshing). Also knowing that the EoD expansion will be delayed is good as it might be way better than expected after all. The fact that it is delayed doesn't mean that they are not working on it since IBS got dumped.

Isn't that person's negativity justified though? It's not even that negative tbw from my personal interpretation. It's some good questions from someone who may value the game, as I would probably consider/ask those things myself. 

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I can't believe that a post that started with an announcement of a delay ended with a huge smile on my face, feeling excited like a little kid! So incredibly excited to see Colin back!

For someone like me, for whom this game is like home, this news is so fantastic. Can't wait to see what comes next. Thank you all 🤗

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome home Colin and Josh!

21 minutes ago, VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig. said:

And the move to d11! Good! Would have prefered Vulkan, but you can't have everything. 

Same here ;(

Great News anyway!
The hype train is ON FIRE 💥💥
Lets go bois!

Edited by kanemi.4903

1 hour ago, hugo.4705 said:

Waiting for screenshots other than shing sea or monestaries.

I know. I want to see Kaineng City.

As to the delay, I think it could be positive, but I've rarely seen delayed games come out well. Usually indicates underlying issues. Cyberpunk 2077 delayed multiple times and look at how that went. But perhaps could be as benign as that being a better release time for them vs the holidays where it will have stiff competition.

That said, I'm going to be cautiously optimistic and see what they show at the end of the month. Hope whatever we get was worth how IBS was massacred.

Edited by Faridah.8431

• ArenaNet Staff
1 hour ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

This post was indeed rather surprising. Also much needed communication from them, hopefully that keeps up in the future.

That's the plan! 

1 hour ago, kurosy.1384 said:

is that a clone dagger mesmer spec? :0

It's great to hear some news, can't wait for the live!

Only 25 more days! 

43 minutes ago, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

Take all the time you need to develop, but be sure to communicate with us in the meanwhile. Very hopeful for the future, if not outright hyped. You can deliver when you want, and we believe in you.

Thank you for this. We're excited for the future and plan to keep talking with you about what we're working on as we go!

31 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

I just want to take a moment and say delaying eod was ABSOLUTELY the best call.

Also dx11 is hype, having back Colin and grouch is hype, aliances beta is hype, mesmer spec tease is hype. This is the kind of communication that we needed.

Thanks for your support! 

22 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Anyway, we shall see how the game survives until then. You can't have the hype for an expac last for a year and a half with just a post every 6 months or sum.

I understand your reservations and you're right about needing more frequent communication than the cadence you mentioned, so I can confirm for you that we have much more than that planned for the rest of 2021. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

I understand your reservations and you're right about needing more frequent communication than the cadence you mentioned, so I can confirm for you that we have much more than that planned for the rest of 2021. 

Appreciate the feedback.Can't wait for what's to come then!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

That's the plan! 

Only 25 more days! 

Thank you for this. We're excited for the future and plan to keep talking with you about what we're working on as we go!

Thanks for your support! 

Thanks for improving the communication part. really. Being honest even with stuff that community might not like too , would be ideal. If the priorities change someday, please be honest and open with us and I am sure that people will be more than understanding.
Thanks once again and I hope the communication improves more and more each time.

• Like 1

• ArenaNet Staff
1 minute ago, Skyroar.2974 said:

@Fire Attunement.9835Could we get more elite spec artwork teasers before the 27th? They are vague enough to not spoil much, but have just enough to create hype and keep us busy with speculation.

It will be on the 27th, not before, but I'll point you to this part of today's announcement: "new trailer, feature reveals and information, news about elite specialization beta events, and details about the story, characters, art, event design, and more."

We have a few other things here and there to keep you busy until then. It'll be here before you know it, I promise!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

We’ve got a new trailer, feature reveals and information, news about elite specialization beta events, and details about the story, characters, art, event design, and more.

Very curious about that event design thing, i wonder if it means changes for event design as a whole or specifically for EoD content. Players don't talk about it and i don't know if it even bother playerbase at all, but i think event system got some issues over years. Too much focus on meta-events, ussually same rewards for all regular events non-dependant on event type, how participation work etc. It all ended with players completely ignoring some types of events, completing regular events not being/feeling rewarding, leeching problems and meta-train mentality of playerbase. Maybe i see here too much, but hope for a change means a hope for a possibility of improvement.