ArenaNet Studio Update: July 2021

1 hour ago, Raizel.1839 said:

Who is him? Someone famous here?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Colin_Johanson

Colin was pretty much the public face for Guild Wars 2 for years. He departed the company in 2016 to work for Amazon Studios and to, "be closer to his family." This generated tsunami-level speculation and drama on the boards at the time.

Edited by Ardenwolfe.8590

Welcome back Colin and Josh!

I'll be honest, this post started for me with someone in my WvW guild mentioning that in-game dx11 support will be coming and subsequently linking me the article. It just got more amazing from there.

Most importantly, besides the nitty gritty details provided on content and goals, I will say that I am very happy with the active and lively return of former developers to the studio. Any person who has worked in bigger companies and switched from one to another knows what a good sign it is that employees actively return to a former employer.

Pair that with the past mentions that many developers enjoy/ed working at Arenanet, it seems to confirm that there is a healthy work environment at the studio. That alone is a GREAT outset in a day and age where the more common industry news is the opposite, so from that angle I really hope this to be the case. Happy developers are good developers and happy/good developers is good news for us players.

As far as the delay of the expansion, unfortunate but not entirely unexpected. Let's hope this works out for the best and let's look on the bright side of having a hopefully amazing expansion to start us into 2022.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1

The future looks promising.. 
Welcome back to Colin and Josh!
If I have to be honest, I do kinda hope some more old names will eventually return to the game.
I'm personally thinking of Josh Foreman.. He could give us more of his amazing, frustrating jumping puzzles, his lovely hidden places (Like the secret strawberry patch in Diessa Plateau)  and.. more important.. More worlds in ... SAB. Something a lot of people have asked for as well 😉. Though I believe he's currently focusing / busy with his own project, which I think is amazing too. But I'm just saying if he or any other talents that we've 'lost' would return, I'd be very happy.
Of course the current team is doing a great job! 2019 wasn't easy.. on top of that came covid and still we did receive content, perhaps not as how people had imagined it or what they had hoped for, but at least the game didn't come to a full stop due to it all.

I'm honestly glad that we have to wait a bit longer on Cantha, and I do hope that the longer wait will be noticeable in how the end result of the expansion will be. I'm happy to read that finally WvW is getting the love it deserves, I just hope you guys aren't too late.. And I hope that with the improvements you've mentioned that former players will return as well.

I do have a long wish list for the future of things I'd like to see improved or changed.
People are talking about housing. I'd say yes to that.. Only if it's done like it is in ESO.
I had this crazy idea once.. that dungeons could become more interesting again if they'd become guild halls / player houses in the end once you've done all paths (+ a 100g). Repeating the dungeons would still give you the tokens and with the tokens besides the armor styles, you could also buy furniture, which you could use in all the guild halls (or player houses). This idea came to my mind after the living story chapter that contained Caudecus Manor. With Caudecus gone.. it would be the perfect house for the 'Commander'.  *Hint hint wink wink*  Upgrades could contain unlocking the different levels in the house, the ground floor, first floor and the basement, the gardens etc.
Of course this is just a crazy idea, but for me personally it would make me spend more time again in game.

And this of course goes for all the dungeons, Ascalonian Catacombs would be a great place for Necromancers to live in...

I know it will be very unlikely that this would happen of course and as I said two times before, it was just a crazy idea of mine 🤪But I just felt like I had to share it none the less.

Anyway!

Once again:

Welcome back Colin and Josh! No pressure but..: Make us proud players of this amazing game again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mmm, not liking the push back into 2022 because that can easily mean a 2022 Spring or Summer release…👎 but other than that, I’m curious to see everything we’ll be getting in the trailer and hoping the ‘pushback’ is worth the wait….

Additionally, here’s hoping they keep up with the communication on the forums.

Best news! Especially "Our new leadership team views WvW as a cornerstone mode of Guild Wars 2, and it will be a focus of ours going forward.". I believe those general tech upgrades can be huge for the game if you can pull it off. Alliances!  WvW tears of joy. So hyped, love your work on this game. Feels like your management has gotten some huge clarity here. Openness like this is really important for us players and very refreshing. Expansion delay will make the expansion better for us players in the long, so I really don't mind. It can give them more time to spread the good message to potential new players and previous players.
Chooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Chooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Edited by Loke.1429
  • Thanks 1

Well I'll hold my applause regarding Colin's return for now, everyone deserves a second chance just not sure if it is the right move for GW2. I am thrilled there is finally some concrete news on the when and soon possibly the what! I haven't played in months and am genuinely starting to feel the urge with these announcements.

I will surely do the killjoy but I express what I feel ...

This screen destroyed my slight hype, shing jea it was never that kind of  fluorescent land  like wow, it's just disgusting.

No kidding what is this green goose crap that stings the eyes. And in fact the vibe of the fractal, that was exactly what we're going to have here.

I have so much the image of the cantha of guild wars 1 which remains quite sober, dark even creepy during practically all the campaign of guild wars faction, that I will quickly be disillusioned if this continent is transformed into Polly Pocket.

And the worst is the return of Colin, the guy who destroyed the first years of guild wars with his totally boring LS1 ...

I hope that the announcement of the 27th will make me change my mind.

yes sorry I risk being on edge when we talk about cantha it's all my childhood 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Confused 9

2 hours ago, Konrad Curze.5130 said:

so, leaving the koolaid aside...

to noone's surprise they are running way behind schedule and have to delay the expac.

great, so that means  IBS was awfully mutilated for.....nothing

and we all are gonna have to endure months  after months of absolutly nothing new, farming the same maps for the million-th time

all while everybody else is having fun in FF14, ESO, WoW, Lost Ark, New World and many other direct competitors which managed to actually stick to their goals for the next months

good lord, this is gonna be real rough, how many people is GW2 going to lose to other games? and can it afford losing them? arent we already barebones?

You could do what i do and not play till we get meaningful ingame additions, like in 2 weeks? In 3 and a half weeks we will be shown some elite spec gameplay likely so i will use that to justify playing to get the legendaries for the especs i like.

Also, you say the delay is a bad thing but you know whats much worse? Releasing between or on top of wow, ff14 or nw. Gw2 is absolutely not in place to compete with Endwalker.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

I will surely do the killjoy but I express what I feel ...

This screen destroyed my slight hype, shing jea it was never that kind of  fluorescent land  like wow, it's just disgusting.

No kidding what is this green goose crap that stings the eyes. And in fact the vibe of the fractal, that was exactly what we're going to have here.

I have so much the image of the cantha of guild wars 1 which remains quite sober, dark even creepy during practically all the campaign of guild wars faction, that I will quickly be disillusioned if this continent is transformed into Polly Pocket.

And the worst is the return of Colin, the guy who destroyed the first years of guild wars with his totally boring LS1 ...

I hope that the announcement of the 27th will make me change my mind.

yes sorry I risk being on edge when we talk about cantha it's all my childhood 🤣

It is okay to compare gw1 with gw2 designs but it is not okay to be that toxic. Not many people will take you seriously when you are being that negative

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Owatatsumi.5038 said:

It is okay to compare gw1 with gw2 designs but it is not okay to be that toxic. Not many people will take you seriously when you are being that negative

there is enough to be toxic, they transform my favorite environment of guild wars  1 (shing jea) to change it into a cartoon of my little pony ...

my god, this green, this is terrible to see.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

13 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

there is enough to be toxic, they transform my favorite environment of guild wars  1 (shing jea) to change it into a cartoon of my little pony ...

its been like 260 years surely it could have changed right?

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, radda.8920 said:

You do realize that is about as likely to be representative to what it’ll look in game as the loading screen artworks do for their respective maps. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1