Fix PVP with one change, how would you do it?

aaron.7850

20 hours ago, Daishi.6027 said:

Give Helseth cmc's job.

I don't understand the rational behind the belief that players that are good at the game (having a high elo or whatever metric you want to measure as them being "good" players) would actually be good at balance.

You do know that Cmc was a former ESL player right?

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

I don't understand the rational behind the belief that players that are good at the game (having a high elo or whatever metric you want to measure as them being "good" players) would actually be good at balance.

You do know that Cmc was a former ESL player right?

You assume that's my rational.

I believe Helseth has a fundamentally better grasp on what is and isn't balanced, what is healthier for PvP, and is less likely to pander to scrubs who refuse to deal with and learn mechanics. Meanwhile to paraphrase cmc on teapot's channel he goes: "We don't always make good balance, it's okay; maybe we'll do better next time."  Without a hint of irony that "next time" is so insanely long and far off, and odds are no; They wont do better "next time".  Then in the same breath points out how it would actually be possible for them to do "true balance" but it wouldn't be fun, which fine. I get that; But that also implies a certain level of awareness of what is and isn't a disparity, how to fix it, and that they intend to intentionally preserve the disparities; even if it means bastardizing and gutting class diversity. Helseth seems like he genuinely does not want to allow class bias, or pandering to bads that are making the game as non-competitive as possible (for the sake of increasing PvP population numbers), to influence balance. I think if we had that we'd actually have a scene that matters and something people could get invested in.

I didn't include it in my initial post since the topic said "1" thing, But if I could pick more: the balance discord would be disbanded, and maybe Karl Mclain would lose his role and any authority on class design.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The most bang for the buck, brainlessly simple thing would be to cut the amount of boons and condis in half. Some could be combined, other simply removed. I don't remember asking for more boons and condis, do you? They kept adding more in anyway. 

Another idea that I toyed around with in the past is to completely remove all healing skills and decrease damage by 30-50%.  

Edited by mistsim.2748
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Daishi.6027 said:

You assume that's my rational.

I believe Helseth has a fundamentally better grasp on what is and isn't balanced, what is healthier for PvP, and is less likely to pander to scrubs who refuse to deal with and learn mechanics.

Except there is no proof that he actually has a "better" grasp on what is and isn't balanced, what is actually healthy and whether he panders to scrubs, or to any group of individuals for that matter.

Cmc is a former Esports player...like Helseth and in this way they have similiar background in terms of knowledge base of the game...so again i don't understand this idea that Helseth has any more knowledge then Cmc. Your rational, is therefor based on their difference in personality...rather then their knowledge base. How is that rational? 

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Except there is no proof that he actually has a "better" grasp on what is and isn't balanced, what is actually healthy and whether he panders to scrubs, or to any group of individuals for that matter.

Cmc is a former Esports player...like Helseth and in this way they have similiar background in terms of knowledge base of the game...so again i don't understand this idea that Helseth has any more knowledge then Cmc. Your rational, is therefor based on their difference in personality...rather then their knowledge base. How is that rational? 

You clearly have never heard them both talk at length for years and their views on the game. There is no hard line proof because the alternative hasn't happened, but there is more than enough there to make inductive reasoning possible and cogent. Them having a similar background is irrelevant, and I'm not comparing their Personality I'm comparing their Balance Philosophy which is the exact same reason why I feel the way I do regarding Karl. If you think it's an assessment of personality then that is why you cannot understand.

If you doubt that there is a clear distinction go look through all of their streams or being hosted as guests with talks on this subject for years. Otherwise you are simply ignorant of their philosophies and how they would impact the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daishi.6027 said:

I'm not comparing their Personality I'm comparing their Balance Philosophy.

Right, you say this but...a hypothetical novice in gw2 can also have the same balance philosophy, so would you feel that this hypothetical person is also just as qualified if not more so then Helseth?

Just as an example, imagine you have Bronze level Helseth and Legendary level Helseth. You are saying here, that both are qualified for the position because they share the same balance philosophy?

If the answer is yes, then okay I made a mistake in targeting you and your rational on your post.

If the answer is no...then your rational isn't based on their balance philosophy, but their performance as a player in the game.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Right, you say this but...a hypothetical novice in gw2 can also have the same balance philosophy, so would you feel that this hypothetical person is also just as qualified if not more so then Helseth?

Just as an example, imagine you have Bronze level Helseth and Legendary level Helseth. You are saying here, that both are qualified for the position because they share the same balance philosophy?

If the answer is yes, then okay I made a mistake in targeting you and your rational on your post.

If the answer is no...then your rational isn't based on their balance philosophy, but their performance as a player in the game.

The answer is yes. Their performance is irrelevant.

Although there is something to be said for those having experience lending a certain level of credibility to their understanding of the game, and that shouldn't be ignored. However, it is hypothetically possible for the bronze player, or even a completely detached non PvPer who just happens to be a prodigy at developing good pvp games; to be objectively correct about the games balance, and even know how to fix it from the ground up. But it is far more unlikely for a bronze player to have the same understanding.

Edited by Daishi.6027
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Daishi.6027 said:

However, it is hypothetically possible for the bronze player, or even a completely detached non PvPer who just happens to be a prodigy at developing good pvp games; to be objectively correct about the games balance, and even know how to fix it from the ground upBut it is far more unlikely for a bronze player to have the same understanding.

So long as the rational isn't based solely on the fact that Helseth is a good player, then the belief in electing Helseth over somebody else is at least logical to a degree.

I only find it somewhat odd to shout out Helseth in particular...when there are probably more people out there that exist, with much more knowledge about game design, and about balance in games, that are much more qualified...even if they don't play Gw2.

For the record, I don't know Helseth's balance philosophy...even though I've listened and watched most of his video's a while back, I've never actually heard him state any particular philosophy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

So long as the rational isn't based solely on the fact that Helseth is a good player, then the belief in electing Helseth over somebody else is at least logical to a degree.

I only find it somewhat odd to shout out Helseth in particular...when there are probably more people out there that exist, with much more knowledge about game design, and about balance in games, that are much more qualified...even if they don't play Gw2.

For the record, I don't know Helseth's balance philosophy...even though I've listened and watched most of his video's a while back, I've never actually heard him state any particular philosophy.

Helseth is an old school master meaning is anti cheese teacher....something not really welcomed by the GW2 community and the devs by extension 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Precisely

What does being good at a game have to do with being good at game design?

Edit:
For the one that reacted with "confused", please elaborate.

Game design is a very intricate thing. Again, being good at a game has absolutely nothing to do with being good at game design.

Edited by XxsdgxX.8109
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

Here is mine

Close official forum as nothing good ever comes from listening the biased community, base balance on factual data and no some deep emotional drama 

Most of the balance opinions come from the PVP discord and more precisely the supposed top players.

The forum doesn't have much say, at best it shows what is most probably overperforming in some manner, even though people tend to not pinpoint what exactly makes it OP. The forum is a barometer on how something is working, cause you can't tell me that people weren't correct that Scourge was broken at the start of POF. 

Also kittening spreadsheet gaming balancing is stupid, it is one of the reasons WoW currently is in the dumpster, so lets not repeat the mistakes of others shall we.      

Edited by Vancho.8750
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1