Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Gameplay and Elite Specializations [MERGED]

I think part of me is a bit concerned about how many weapon skills are being added. Its feels like one of the more significant ways to mix up how a class plays. Hammer on Scrapper and Greatsword on Reaver felt new and changed how the class played a lot.

I've been using the same offhand weapons on Mesmer and Necro for a long time and i was never a huge fan.

I'd just love it if they doubled down on it a bit and gave mesmer offhand daggers and ... I dont know with necro, i haven't actually seen what they have yet. An engineering kit a bit like engineer for their offhand that throws healing elixirs and grenades around would be pretty amazing.

Same with guardian, i like main hand sword a lot but im just a bit bored of it tbh. I really like the very small amount i've seen of the class but 2 weapon skills feels a bit of a weak start.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Caid.4932 said:

I think part of me is a bit concerned about how many weapon skills are being added. Its feels like one of the more significant ways to mix up how a class plays. Hammer on Scrapper and Greatsword on Reaver felt new and changed how the class played a lot.

I've been using the same offhand weapons on Mesmer and Necro for a long time and i was never a huge fan.

I'd just love it if they doubled down on it a bit and gave mesmer offhand daggers and ... I dont know with necro, i haven't actually seen what they have yet. An engineering kit a bit like engineer for their offhand that throws healing elixirs and grenades around would be pretty amazing.

Same with guardian, i like main hand sword a lot but im just a bit bored of it tbh. I really like the very small amount i've seen of the class but 2 weapon skills feels a bit of a weak start.

maybe look at the post just before yours its main hand pisitol.

Find it odd that spellbreaker could get dual dagger but neither mesmer or necro can get dual their weapons this expansion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

maybe look at the post just before yours its main hand pisitol.

Find it odd that spellbreaker could get dual dagger but neither mesmer or necro can get dual their weapons this expansion.

The concept of warrior rely around the fact that the are weapon masters, they can wield all main hand weapons in the off-hand. This is why they got dual daggers in PoF while other classes don't (Me too would like it :c)

On 8/9/2021 at 11:56 AM, VocalThought.9835 said:

Is it just me or is anyone else just not that excited about the next elite specializations?

I think the Virtuoso looks bland compared to the previous elite specializations. I'm not sure if it was the demo, the demo's outfit, or the skills animations. I think that presentation killed my hype.

Im not excited because they havent shown any of the classes i play the most. Ele/thief/ranger.

My 4th is Mesmer, but, And a big but here, i dont even use the two other elite specs because im lacking the armor combos to make them decent. Maybe if Virtuouso is a power build, maybe.

Quite impressed with the look of the new Mesmer and Necromancer Specs. One thing does concern me though. It appears so far that both specs have over the top spell effects. If this trend is replicated on the other specs, I wonder what effect it will have in large scale fights/events. Its bad enough now!

On 8/7/2021 at 4:11 AM, Zuldari.3940 said:

well i guess paragon is off the shelf for guardian, then maybe warrior gets paragon.

Paragon was Nightfall, not Factions - that ship has sailed past us a long time ago.

Hmph, I see they really tried to go for "something new" with such force that we can forget about any of the wonderful professions from GW1 for good. 😥 No Monk elite spec for the Guradian... 😭

So far, I am not thrilled with the new elite spec previews. I see a lot of visual clutter and character-hopping incoming. WvW will be "fun." :classic_wacko:

5 minutes ago, Faridah.8431 said:

Interesting. Hope they will have a more detailed video on skills/traits and such. Also the virtues.

What for? We will be able to try them out in a few days. Also, there is the next Live Stream tomorrow:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/youre-invited-to-the-first-elite-specialization-beta-event/

Edited by LadyEden.7519

On 8/11/2021 at 3:54 PM, VocalThought.9835 said:

Look what was next to my pillow this morning. 

I havent even bother to look before but this is just the necro stealing elixirs (making them cause self conditions instead of boons) and pistol from the engineer, lol.

Well on the upside the harbinger will presumably be nerfed to the ground because purity of purpose.

• Haha 2

Hi all,

with the new trailers of the upcoming elite specs I am always impressed how Anet manages to include their system mechanics into the world building, like e.g. the new Willbender are the empress guards or in the last expansion the spellbreaker are former sunspears who have broken the top of the spears to avoid persecution from jokos army. But unfortunately that is mostly only to be found in text and trailers (which most player will never know about) and rarely in the game itself. So I hipe that they could add a little bit of a storyline per Spec (not much maybe 1/2 hour to an hour) that explains ingame what this specs is all about (lorewise) and how our character comes to learn that specific skillsets.

I think the best way to include that is in the Elite Specs Collection (you know the one where you get the ascended weapon) if that returns. So instead of doing random things to unlock the parts necessary i would suggest to craft a little storyline that explains why youre character is suddenly trained by the elite guardians of the canthanian empress. The tasks itself can still be to do certain events, hearts, jumping puzzles etc just that they are now connected by a story. Like how for the achievements from "a star to guide us" the various activities on the map where connected by an overarching story.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I havent even bother to look before but this is just the necro stealing elixirs (making them cause self conditions instead of boons) and pistol from the engineer, lol.

Well on the upside the harbinger will presumably be nerfed to the ground because purity of purpose.

I still want to know what they are going to do with the Harbinger Shroud that the scourge can get.

1 hour ago, Gomes.5643 said:

I think that is a good start - but a little bit more story then one NPC i would prefer.

Yeah they should totally incorporate that into the lore...

Like a necromancer who's sister is lost to the mordrem and takes up the greatsword that her sister's spirit flows into and becomes a reaper.

Or a guardian who's ranger mother dies so her takes up her long bow to hunt dragons?

Maybe they could have one of the established characters chase his sword into a portal that leads to the Mists and have him come back as a Revenant.

Shame they never thought of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Yeah they should totally incorporate that into the lore...

Like a necromancer who's sister is lost to the mordrem and takes up the greatsword that her sister's spirit flows into and becomes a reaper.

Or a guardian who's ranger mother dies so her takes up her long bow to hunt dragons?

Maybe they could have one of the established characters chase his sword into a portal that leads to the Mists and have him come back as a Revenant.

Shame they never thought of it.

That makes three Elite Specs out of how many in total? :classic_wink:

19 hours ago, Dante.1763 said:

Im not excited because they havent shown any of the classes i play the most. Ele/thief/ranger.

My 4th is Mesmer, but, And a big but here, i dont even use the two other elite specs because im lacking the armor combos to make them decent. Maybe if Virtuouso is a power build, maybe.

Never heard of the power chrono build?

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Power_DPS

13 hours ago, Faridah.8431 said:

I still want to know what they are going to do with the Harbinger Shroud that the scourge can get.

You do know that Scourge and Harbinger are two different elite specs and, as such, they can't both be used? Equipping three elite specializations would totally break the character, even without conflicting mechanics change.