"Legendary" Black Lion Set [Merged]

4 minutes ago, hugo.4705 said:

This is a real legendary set, even the arts if they need: https://www.reddit.com/user/Achromant/ let's stop arguing, a set with all weapons looking the same without unique heroes story behind isn't legendary.

Those are just sick, love that artists work, and another studio is going to be using his weapon designs. Shame anet missed out on that, they woulda been really cool to have.

• Thanks 2

I get it.  Legendaries with unique looks might feel more legendary, but they're honestly a pain to create a cohesive look with right now.  Especially if you prefer cold colors over warm colors.  We've got red/orange/purple more than covered, but blues and greens are in short supply!  If anything, I wish all the legendaries had a matching set of weapons.  For example, yeah, I could use Predator, but a H.O.P.E. based rifle would incorporate blues and avoid the overuse of the fire motif.  Do I want a serious looking shortbow that isn't better suited in, again, a flame based color scheme?  I have no options, but a H.O.P.E. based one would work.  

What about a celestial look?  Yeah, we have Dusk, Dawn, and Eternity, as well as Astralaria and arguably that scepter Meteorlogicus, but that's still just three weapon types.  Three.  Of 16(19).  And this is probably the larger pool of shared design concepts, second being the "joke" weapons Quip, Dreamer, and Moot.  You want to match your legendary weapons with plant themes?  Better equip Kudzu in both your weapon slots, then, because you're SOL.

"Oh, but you can reskin them!"

That defeats half of the point of getting a legendary in the first place!  You lose out on the sound effects, the footfalls, and any aura they might possess by reskinning them. 

So, yeah, while I can somewhat understand conceptually the idea of legendaries being totally unique in appearance from one perspective, I also don't see a reason why they can't be a sort of legendary pantheon of weapons.  It would certainly make having a cohesive look comprised of legendary weapons a heck of a lot easier.

Edited by Elan.7523
  • Like 1

Was a themed set what I was expecting? No. Hoping for? No. 

Do I like it? Thus far, yes. Our characters are entering a new era. We (outside of the deep sea dragon) ended the cycle. Replaced one Elder Dragon with a benevolent one, by becoming their champion and redirecting the entire flow of Tyrian history. Such a feat is worthy of ‘legendary’ status- our personal Elder Dragon gifting us with a weapon to defend the people of Tyria with, created with the magics she absorbed from the death of three others of her kind, as well as freeing a continent from a Lich and literally killing a god, only the second (third? Did Abaddon kill the insectoid god or just depose him similarly to Grenth/Dhuum? Idr…) time that has ever happened. 

I’d even be ecstatic if they made it part of a quest line, apart from the main story of EoD (to keep the ‘legendary’ aspect, I would like it to NOT be a part of the main story, meaning everyone would have one just for going through the quests- the two ways I see this going would be making it free, which would be rather irritating, or making you have to sink a few thousand gold into completing a story quest, which would be even more irritating)

And none of this, by any means, suggests that we’ll never get more legendaries again. Introduce more, please! But this ONE change is nothing to proclaim ‘the is sky falling’ over

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elan.7523 said:

I get it.  Legendaries with unique looks might feel more legendary, but they're honestly a pain to create a cohesive look with right now.  Especially if you prefer cold colors over warm colors.  We've got red/orange/purple more than covered, but blues and greens are in short supply!  If anything, I wish all the legendaries had a matching set of weapons.  For example, yeah, I could use Predator, but a H.O.P.E. based rifle would incorporate blues and avoid the overuse of the fire motif.  Do I want a serious looking shortbow that isn't better suited in, again, a flame based color scheme?  I have no options, but a H.O.P.E. based one would work.  

What about a celestial look?  Yeah, we have Dusk, Dawn, and Eternity, as well as Astralaria and arguably that scepter Meteorlogicus, but that's still just three weapon types.  Three.  Of 16(19).  And this is probably the larger pool of shared design concepts, second being the "joke" weapons Quip, Dreamer, and Moot.  You want to match your legendary weapons with plant themes?  Better equip Kudzu in both your weapon slots, then, because you're SOL.

That defeats half of the point of getting a legendary in the first place!  You lose out on the sound effects, the footfalls, and any aura they might possess by reskinning them. 

So, yeah, while I can somewhat understand conceptually the idea of legendaries being totally unique in appearance from one perspective, I also don't see a reason why they can't be a sort of legendary pantheon of weapons.  It would certainly make having a cohesive look comprised of legendary weapons a heck of a lot easier.

That would require them making a lot of legendary sets. Which, at this point, is something some people hope for, but without much basis for it.

Notice, btw, that in all the examples you provided, with gen3 approach you would get exactly 0/16 options. So, worse than with the cases you already mentioned as bad.

2 hours ago, Elan.7523 said:

That's exactly the solution suggested to anyone that doesn't like the gen3 approach. Yeah, i also think that it doesn't really help that much.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Confused 1

• 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

How cool! We will have variants on each weapon for all Elder Dragons and journeys connected to unlock those! 😍

These are great news! 🤗

I'm still a bit sceptical here, especially in regards to projectile based weapons. If I get e.g. the Primordus pistol than it better shoots out some fire based projectiles with matching sound effects (which is already something the short bow, at least in its current state, did not have).

• Confused 1

On 7/27/2021 at 9:38 AM, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

Seriously... 16 weapons that look the same? How is that different looks wise from a Black Lion Skin set?

And you try to put this on the level of things like Predator, Xiuquatl, The Shining Blade or Twilight....
edit: or Chuka and Chumpawat! Shooting Tigers is bad kitten!

At the other end of the spectrum is the view that anything at all is better than, "Predator, Xiuquatl, The Shining Blade or Twilight....or Chuka and Chumpawat!"

• Confused 3

So essentially, it's not 16 Aurene Legendaries

It's 96 Elder Dragon Legendaries total, potentially up to 112 if we count DSD

16 Core (Aurene)
16 Risen (Zhaitan)
16 Mordrem (Mordremoth)
16 Branded (Kralkatorrik)
16 Destroyer (Primordus)
16 Icebrood (Jormag)
And possibly another 16 "Abyssal" (just making that up right now, we don't know DSD's minions yet) for the last Elder Dragon.

So they've basically created what can be collectively known as the "Legendary Elder Dragon Armaments". With a total of 96-112 weapons overall.

And they all have their own auras and effects based on the Elder Dragon they are conjuring. They all share the same base design, but they are also very unique in terms of their overall appearance as they take on the characteristics of the respective Elder Dragon.

Welp, they definitely went above and beyond on this one. That definitely turned the perspective on why the Aurene Legendaries was a collective appearance rather than different weapons with different lores and appearance. 

• Like 9

The least they could have done is give us new UW weapons. Pls Anet, recycle the rifle and staff skin and maybe change the base design a bit, something to make a spear somehow. UW weapons have been left out with gen2, if you have to chose the easy route with gen3, include UW weapons to give people a choice.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

16 Core (Aurene)
16 Risen (Zhaitan)
16 Mordrem (Mordremoth)
16 Destroyer (Primordus)
16 Icebrood (Jormag)
And possibly another 16 "Abyssal" (just making that up right now, we don't know DSD's minions yet) for the last Elder Dragon.

So they've basically created what can be collectively known as the "Legendary Elder Dragon Armaments". With a total of 96-112 weapons overall.

And they all have their own auras and effects based on the Elder Dragon they are conjuring. They all share the same base design, but they are also very unique in terms of their overall appearance as they take on the characteristics of the respective Elder Dragon.

Welp, they definitely went above and beyond on this one. That definitely turned the perspective on why the Aurene Legendaries was a collective appearance rather than different weapons with different lores and appearance. 

As I read this I thought "Well this is escalating quickly"  and that's a good thing!

2 hours ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

16 Core (Aurene)
16 Risen (Zhaitan)
16 Mordrem (Mordremoth)
16 Destroyer (Primordus)
16 Icebrood (Jormag)

It depends on the way you count. I see 16 different designs, one for each weapon. And the I see seven different skins for the base model. As they have shown with the greatsword, they all look alike in form but differ in texture. All greatswords/pistols/dagger will look alike adn all aurene/mordremoth/bubbles weapons will look alike. It's not as diverse as "ZOMG APPROX 100 NEW LEGENDARIES" makes it sound.
It is an interesting approach however, especially the "journey to upgrade/infuse your weapon" part sounds like it could be a good long term goal...which is totally undermined by the legendaries being tradeable on the TP...oh well...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pros-

6 different designs per weapon. Seemingly different death blows depending on attunement. No masteries required for crafting

Mega ultra awful very bad no good con-

sellable on TP. this is a regression. Just… ughhhhh

overall happy at these different skins. Very sad that you can credit card warrior your way to them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, lokh.2695 said:

It depends on the way you count. I see 16 different designs, one for each weapon. And the I see seven different skins for the base model. As they have shown with the greatsword, they all look alike in form but differ in texture. All greatswords/pistols/dagger will look alike adn all aurene/mordremoth/bubbles weapons will look alike. It's not as diverse as "ZOMG APPROX 100 NEW LEGENDARIES" makes it sound.
It is an interesting approach however, especially the "journey to upgrade/infuse your weapon" part sounds like it could be a good long term goal...which is totally undermined by the legendaries being tradeable on the TP...oh well...

Unlike the other Legendaries that only have one iteration, these ones are the most diverse from my perspective. You have 6 iterations of a single Legendary weapon. Yes the base form is the same, but the fact that there's enough difference in both characteristics and special effects makes it one of the most diverse Legendaries thus far. The only thing that comes even remotely close with 3 designs is Eternal, all others only have one singular design and that's it. 

As for the issues regarding the TP part, I do agree that they should really consider it as being account bound instead. Unless we get multiple copies of them like we do BLC skins, I see no reason to have them be sold on TP. I think it's best that we have a poll/feedback thread to address that issue in particular because ANet literally gave no reasoning behind it being in TP. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Not only does it have the QOL benefits but each elder dragon variant has its own draw effect, aura, footsteps and death animation. Pretty rad when you add up all the work that had to go into that. This is a LEGENDARY release that is both quality and quantity. I've never wanted to make a legendary weapon because the theme was way too specific. This style could appeal to a wider scope of the community and I commend them for it. I know it has for me which is why this will be my first earned legendary!

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

The least they could have done is give us new UW weapons. Pls Anet, recycle the rifle and staff skin and maybe change the base design a bit, something to make a spear somehow. UW weapons have been left out with gen2, if you have to chose the easy route with gen3, include UW weapons to give people a choice.

Indeed. I doubt adding 3 more designs (with only spear being really unique, as they could have used slightly changed staff and rifle designs for tridents and harpoon guns) would have been such a massive work increase to make it impractical. And them actually trying to joke their way out of it was not in good taste at all.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Contrary to what some ppl think, they are just 16 weapons. Once you get the base, Aurene Black Li... ouch, sorry, I mean... legendary(?) weapon skin, you can do a couple of achievements to get its color variants.

These weapons lacked personality before and they still lack it, after we know that the "variants" will be a color change.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

Wallet warrior or not, this is the reality of todays world of gaming. Something will be encouraged to be monetized, such as making it tradeable.

If for example you think the first half of gen2 legendaries or legendary raid armor is significant enough to see it as worthy, there is contradiction for those. The other half of the gen2 legendaries that require precursor achievement grinding, can all be bought with gold from swiping because they're tradeable materials. Gatekeepers of raid content infest the LFG with selling runs, who's to say that there isn't someone out there right now, charging their credit card to convert into gold to buy first spot in the raid carries they need?

The whole thing is just players worrying so much about their ego, when clearly a big portion of the game is heavily influenced by the usage of gold that can be swiped by anyone. That's just the nature of a game that pushes the cash shop interface whilst being buy to play, which isn't sustainable by itself.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, Brycar.2651 said:

Hmmm. No mention of deep sea dragon theme. I assume it will be announced after launch?

Logically, since each variant, in this legendary's lore is, is the filtered magic from an Elder Dragon, we can conclude for now that the DSD dragon is not dead since no other dragon received any of its magic. Pending any new reveals of course. I'm sure they are waiting till after EOD because if we got the DSD variant now that'd be a spoiler. We actually might never get a DSD variant if we don't kill it as well in the story.

• Like 1