Is anyone really looking forward to...more Aurene?

Aodlop.1907

I love Aurene. She has her flaws but she is not even 5y old. Give her some room to grow. 

Braham. Yeah..... 

Taimi had her deus ex machina moment but that was a long time ago. I think she's OK currently. 

Marjory and kasmeer. 

Can you guys just get married? I like the 2 lovebirds but after such a long time, maybe a next step in the relationship is needed.

Rytlock.... It never clicked for me with him. 

I guess showing emotions is a good thing but it rather have a bog standard old War Veteran who teaches you how to get kitten done. 

That's why I love Canach. 

He gets kitten done. He is useful. 

Canach is the opposite of Braham for me. 

• Like 13
  • Confused 1

I dont mind Aurene honestly, shes certainly not the worst character they introduced as a focal point of the story. Cough, Kormir, Cough.

Taimi and Braham can go. Marj and Kas can get old fairly quick when together, but i enjoy them alot more when seperate. Rytlock is good, i hope Cressia stays around. Canach is awesome but i like that they havent over used him. Rox staying with the Olhmakan was a nice way to end her involvment.

I hope Zoijja makes a return, but i doubt she will.

And if Mai Trin is on our side? Thats a win win right there.

They do need a steady cast of characters for the story. But i have a feeling this story will be the end of some characters: Rytlock, Aurene, and Taimi are up on that list of "wont be surprised if they die"

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, artharon.9276 said:

No not really, had enough of Aurene. They should bring in something equally if not more successful character, imo they missed that chance with Balthazar. I would say yes to his offer when he asked me to become his champion but never had that chance.

Which, would make you the villian. The "Pact Commander" who we play as through the story isnt our character, so what we would do doesnt matter much. They are the force for good in the game.

Which is why most people who do roleplay, myself included, disregard the entire story. It isnt our characters story. Amana Firehide never killed Zhaitan, the pact commander did. My Priory Arcanist, Ember Wandertooth never went into Mordremoths mind, the pact commander did.

Once you remove your character from the story and play it as if you are playing someone elses it gets alot better. They cant cover all the choices players want to make in game.

Edited by Dante.1763
grammar fixings
  • Like 8

Just now, Dante.1763 said:

Which, would make you the villian. The "Pact Commander" who we play as through the story isnt our character, so what we would doesnt matter much. They are the force for good in the game.

Which is why most people who do roleplay, myself included disregard the entire story. It isnt our characters story. Amana Firehide never killed Zhaitan, the pact commander did. My Priory Arcanist, Ember Wandertooth never went into Mordremoths mind, the pact commander did.

Once you remove your character from the story and play it as if you are playing someone elses it gets alot better, they cant cover all the choices players want to make in game.

Yes, all these things are commander's story indeed. tbh, I find it really hard to role play in gw2 due to lack of emotes and rp friendly things like a housing system, imo much easier to do it in lotro and eso.

Anyway, I gave that example, there's more to it,

what if commander accepted balthazar's offer, learned more about why he really gone mad and we somehow had a chance to empathize the craracter? 

wouldn't it be cooler if you fought balthazar to help him to get back to his senses? then as the story goes he understands glint's vision and sacrifices himself to give his remaining power to Aurene willingly? 

of course this is just my half kitten story telling, they could have still painted Balthazar as a jerk, I just find him way too disconnected. I had absolutely zero feelings when PoF story ended.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I just assumed with the story being about the dragon cycle and how we can stabalise or maybe even repair the damage we've done by killing so many of them that Aurene would be central to the story. I didn't think there were any other likely possibilities. But yes I'm interested in what's going to happen, her part in it and what will happen with the water dragon (I may be reading too much into it but the trailer makes it seem like the water dragon might have been working with some Canthans, but I don't know yet if they'll be our allies or enemies).

I also think Aurene is an interesting character, mainly thanks to the odd combination of being relatively young even by human standards and having the ability to see the future and the knowledge gained from absorbing other dragons magic, it's an interesting contrast of lots of knowledge and information and relatively little personal experience to interepret it.

I understand a lot of people don't like the idea of their character playing a secondary role in the story and want to see themselves as The Hero who is always the central figure in events, but I think it's more interesting and makes much more sense for an MMO when your character is just one of many playing a role in current events and someone else is the focal point.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, artharon.9276 said:

Yes, all these things are commander's story indeed. tbh, I find it really hard to role play in gw2 due to lack of emotes and rp friendly things like a housing system, imo much easier to do it in lotro and eso.

Anyway, I gave that example, there's more to it,

what if commander accepted balthazar's offer, learned more about why he really gone mad and we somehow had a chance to empathize the craracter? 

wouldn't it be cooler if you fought balthazar to help him to get back to his senses? then as the story goes he understands glint's vision and sacrifices himself to give his remaining power to Aurene willingly? 

of course this is just my half kitten story telling, they could have still painted Balthazar as a jerk, I just find him way too disconnected. I had absolutely zero feelings when PoF story ended.

I dont think it would be cool or fun. For one thing i play a Charr and i already hate being forced to work alongside him, not to mention the stupid oath they use for the Shining Blade.

For another Balthazar wasnt even a god at that point, just roided out on bloodstone magic. He would have burned Tyria down in order to kill the dragons. He went mad because the other gods didnt want to intervene. Frankly they shouldnt have even touched on the Human gods.

which, is why i dont play through the story as my story. None of it, outside of the very beggining is personal before you join the pact is personal. It all becomes the pact commander after that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

With the title of the expansion, I kind of hoped she'd leave us alone for a while, but nope. She's central to our journey - again.

It's getting old. I wish War Eternal didn't happen.

War Eternal is my favorite GW2 episode, to be honest. It's one of the few times the devs managed to do everything right (including a well-rounded and - most importantly - well-executed story, which we rarely get).

Aurene's ascension isn't the problem, it's what the devs made of it. First we had Taimi being the one solving all the big problems for us with that annoyingly modern Asuran technology ("Yawn!"), now it's Aurene having all the answers for us through her Elder Dragon's insight and magical abilities ("Double-yawn!"), both leaving us in the boring role of the Executioner.

If they manage to change that in EoD by giving us back the role of the adventurer, explorer, discoverer and problem-solver, that would make a huge difference.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well... Aurene has to feature in the story...

... in order to die 😉

Thinking of my favourite book series "Stormlight Archive" by Brandon Sanderson... maybe Aurene could end up as a part of the 3rd gen legendary weapon, same way the Spren embodied the shard blades there. So not only are the legendaries themed after her, but Aurene's end is that she becomes part of her Champion's favoured weapon.

Edited by Dondarrion.2748
  • Sad 1

I am indifferent to Aurene. I could easily live without her, but if she is there, she is there. I just don't like the idea of this super-potent being, who is a friend with the commander, but is not doing squat in order to save the world. It all lies on our shoulders anyway. She has too much story presence, but almost no impact on it. For instance Braham lost Eir, I was fighting side by side with both of these and I could relate to the relations that they had with each other and me. But Aurene is almost a godly creature. I have no idea what she wants, needs, does or eats.

I wouldn't mind if at the EoD Aurene would start going mental and just go killing everyone and everything around her. And in trhe end we would have to deal with her like we have been dealing with all these super-powerful beings sowing destruction. 😄

10 minutes ago, RagiNagi.1802 said:

I am indifferent to Aurene. I could easily live without her, but if she is there, she is there. I just don't like the idea of this super-potent being, who is a friend with the commander, but is not doing squat in order to save the world. It all lies on our shoulders anyway. She has too much story presence, but almost no impact on it. For instance Braham lost Eir, I was fighting side by side with both of these and I could relate to the relations that they had with each other and me. But Aurene is almost a godly creature. I have no idea what she wants, needs, does or eats.

I wouldn't mind if at the EoD Aurene would start going mental and just go killing everyone and everything around her. And in trhe end we would have to deal with her like we have been dealing with all these super-powerful beings sowing destruction. 😄

Well, we know she eats Joko. 😛

But in Lore, elder dragons eat magic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm rather ambivalent to Aurene herself as a character, its rather the possibility that Anet might make her the "One Dragon to balance the All" and kitten that I dislike.  I want to see the final answer to the Elder Dragons and their place in Tyria and the All be something more interesting and better fitting to the established world-building than that.

Not really sure why this has become a "what side characters I like and dislike" as well, but I generally don't strongly dislike any other the current existing team and have no desire to see anymore of the die.  That said, I think having a break from Braham and Rytlock is a good idea and they can bring Rytlock back when the current writers can get a better handle on his previously established personality and mannerisms.  One of the things that turned me off of IBS really early on what how off Rytlock behaved, even taking the stories circumstances into consideration. 

I'd also like Canach's old VA back.🤬

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, RagiNagi.1802 said:

I am indifferent to Aurene. I could easily live without her, but if she is there, she is there.

Yeah , i really enjoyed her stoy in HoT and the season after that hunting Balthazar. We saw her being "born", we helped her and learned with how to deal with the problems in the world, but thats it. Now every time something come out... Aurene calls... like... we hav so much on the world that the writers can focus and go deeper showing us a little more of the factions and races instead putting the dragon in the mid cosss, surpriiiise...  is UwU and ppl like her and thats make the content better and we can put cosmetics about her in the shop.

I remember the White Mantle arc and oh boy... that was sick. I think more content like this is what make a story great, other aurene uwu things are just lazy writers ideas.

Aurene, now that she is her own character and actually able to do something, has become a much better character than when she was just our dog that attacked when we pressed a key at the right time and did absolutely nothing else.

She will continue being a character, especially as we find a way to deal with the remaining dragon and the fallout of magic. After that I am assuming we will deal with other things anyway and Aurene is relegated to just watching over the world.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

For one thing i play a Charr and i already hate being forced to work alongside him

It didn't stop another charr to set him free for a burning sword though. Sylvari's religious view appears to be correct, Kormir made it clear that god title is overrated, and mortals have enough power to deal with anything.  And Balthazar's story is crâp. 🤷‍♂️

• Confused 1

I like Aurene and I’m glad she’ll be in the expansion. I just want to feel like I have a powerful elder dragon ally that’s actively helping me/dragon’s watch, which didn’t really feel like the case in Icebrood Saga. Not saying she’s gotta be perfect or can’t make mistakes, but the passivity felt very much like the devs couldn’t decide what to do with her. Making her more active in EoDs would be a good change of pace.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1