Do WvW have any back story? Why are we fighting?

Hadi.6025

With Alliances being mentioned and possibility of feature content, do World Vs. World have a back story? I know its in the part of the Mist's but... what is this all for? What is the meaning to all of this? I've murdered so many men and women and i've seen countless deaths my self. But i ask my self... What does this all mean? All this fighting? All this pain... Why are we here? What does this all mean? 

lol... 

Hoping they add some backstory to WvW in the future or at least tie Elder dragons or Heroes like Logan Thackery or Aurene to WvW maps. Would be cool to see them as Tower Champions or Defenders of Stone Mist Castle. Maybe even tactivators or something. Instead of Airships maybe see Aurene drop down and blow her dragon breath on all the enemy players or something. And give servers an allegiance to one of the Elder dragons. And have like monthly competition rewards or something. I don't know just throwing the idea out there.

• Confused 1

Honestly doubt we'll get more past "it's the mist, fight for your afterlife" or something. 

But I'm having a good laugh at the idea of Logan as Keep lord, say at Bay, and keeps running around so no one can catch him, like a racing track around inner bay. And everyone hating him even more. And wherever poor Braham got placed, would get constantly bombed, it would be a grand selling point for pve players "Come to WvW to kill Braham!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

Honestly doubt we'll get more past "it's the mist, fight for your afterlife" or something. 

But I'm having a good laugh at the idea of Logan as Keep lord, say at Bay, and keeps running around so no one can catch him, like a racing track around inner bay. And everyone hating him even more. And wherever poor Braham got placed, would get constantly bombed, it would be a grand selling point for pve players "Come to WvW to kill Braham!"

So we are putting braham on red bl, then watch as all three servers take turns kicking his face in because no one wants to defend him....😆

1 minute ago, Lightning Xv.8705 said:

So we are putting braham on red bl, then watch as all three servers take turns kicking his face in because no one wants to defend him....😆

RedBL, Middle map event, gather cores to unleash the giant lazer on top of Braham mounted in the electric chair on top of the ruins! Bonus points to whoever gets to zap him!

Life in Tyria is miserable, full of incompetent leaders and ungrateful people that make you, the ex-commander of the pact, do errands daily before they'd even sell you anything. And you would pay them anyways!

It also has Brahm. Between that and the dragons and kitten destroying the world and the idiots that lost Lion's Arch to Scarlet, turning it into a soulless abomination with sky high rents, it's just not a great place to live anymore.

And so people thought, "why can't I just stab half these people or drop a meteor on them to make the plot half as long?"

That's why they moved to the Mists.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Haha 1

We don't even get new music or any aesthetic from new releases. There's no ambient mention of WvW in other parts of the game. WvW is disconnected from the rest of the game and it's no substitute for any kind of open world on it's own. There is no story or any purpose related to the rest of the game in WvW. Tyria doesn't care. 

7 hours ago, Hadi.6025 said:

Hoping they add some backstory to WvW in the future or at least tie Elder dragons or Heroes like Logan Thackery or Aurene to WvW maps. Would be cool to see them as Tower Champions or Defenders of Stone Mist Castle. Maybe even tactivators or something. Instead of Airships maybe see Aurene drop down and blow her dragon breath on all the enemy players or something. And give servers an allegiance to one of the Elder dragons. And have like monthly competition rewards or something. I don't know just throwing the idea out there.

That implies both Logan and Aurene are dead in the main story. Just saying. Everyone in WvW outside the spawn area are dead - including the player, technically speaking, but since the player is already immortal, death is just an annoyance and thats why its so easy to return to Tyria.

Not that I mind you wanting to kill Logan. Quite the contrary, I approve.

• Like 1

ties to the Crusades. If the Christians win, they build Churches. If Muslims win, they build Mosques. either can convert existing say Mosques that became war booty to Christians to Churches or smash them down.

or what if the Crusades was just a grandoise plan to build Churches and Mosques? and those Temples are adorned with secret messages for the future events? what if the Crusades were just a precursor to a much epic events that will unfold?

or maybe it's all about the timing even. right place and right time to attack.

perhaps that's the moral lesson of wvwvw.

Edited by alcopaul.2156
  • Haha 1

I believed I read something like the Mist is the parallel universe of our world aka multiverse
Which is why are we all walking the same path of commander in our story mode but has multiple routes of different alternate realities (achievements) from one and other. 
And we are fighting for our existence of our being by grouping up allies of ourselves with same ideology and against "enemies" that have different of beliefs/philosophies.

However in war, there is no right or wrong as lies often conceived itself as justice to protect its own interest. Hence our war in the mist never ends.....

11 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

That implies both Logan and Aurene are dead in the main story. Just saying. Everyone in WvW outside the spawn area are dead - including the player, technically speaking, but since the player is already immortal, death is just an annoyance and thats why its so easy to return to Tyria.

Not that I mind you wanting to kill Logan. Quite the contrary, I approve.

Wait, in WvW, dead people are fighting each other?

And how is the player immortal (besides the obvious "it's a game answer"), is there a lore reason for it?

And who are the other players then?

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

And how is the player immortal (besides the obvious "it's a game answer"), is there a lore reason for it?

In Tyria when you die your soul goes to The Mists. Those that worship the human gods get 'processed' by Grenth and those that served their deity well get sent to their deity's region of The Mists. In general though The Mists is a place where fragments of reality coalesce into semi permanent realms that are often on repeat.

If you play FotM, there is a overarching story to them and the NPC's in the lobby and those that you encounter in certain fractals that play into this theme, the Mistlock Sanctuary hub that you can purchase with a lobby pass also has NPCs that follow that theme.

Tyria also exists as a multiverse. Each of our servers is one of the multiverses. There are versions where the Pact Commander was actually evil (see one of the Asuran character story lines).

So TL;DR: It's Tryia heaven, but you don't actually have to die to go there, and unless its in a region where a powerful being can hold together regions of it as one distinct place it will be random as hell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Veprovina.4876 said:

Of course they are dead. The player literally dies in the main story as well and comes back because he/she is... well, immortal. Thats why its the one special exception that can die and die and die and come back every time.

I would argue that a "normal" person that dies in the mists is just as dead in Tyria, thus cannot return to Tyria. But in the mist they remain as something in between. Guards, lords, etc. They're dead many times over yet there they are, again and again. A living person can enter the mists and exit, but if they die there... you get the idea. Its not lore, its just logic. Anet can easily prove me wrong - an entity in the mists that has died over and over thats not the player, brought out into PvE and gone from WvW.

Who are the other players? I dont understand the question. We're you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

lol yea i thought the same thing

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Of course they are dead. The player literally dies in the main story as well and comes back because he/she is... well, immortal. Thats why its the one special exception that can die and die and die and come back every time.

I would argue that a "normal" person that dies in the mists is just as dead in Tyria, thus cannot return to Tyria. But in the mist they remain as something in between. Guards, lords, etc. They're dead many times over yet there they are, again and again. A living person can enter the mists and exit, but if they die there... you get the idea. Its not lore, its just logic. Anet can easily prove me wrong - an entity in the mists that has died over and over thats not the player, brought out into PvE and gone from WvW.

Well if you mean when the player died in POF when Balthazar killed you . But WvW existed before the player actually died in that. And he's saying also who are the other players we're fighting? Aren't they the commander as well? maybe from a different universe lol. Are we all just fighting our selves from different universes lmao. That's some freaky stuff. 

4 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

In Tyria when you die your soul goes to The Mists. Those that worship the human gods get 'processed' by Grenth and those that served their deity well get sent to their deity's region of The Mists. In general though The Mists is a place where fragments of reality coalesce into semi permanent realms that are often on repeat.

If you play FotM, there is a overarching story to them and the NPC's in the lobby and those that you encounter in certain fractals that play into this theme, the Mistlock Sanctuary hub that you can purchase with a lobby pass also has NPCs that follow that theme.

Tyria also exists as a multiverse. Each of our servers is one of the multiverses. There are versions where the Pact Commander was actually evil (see one of the Asuran character story lines).

So TL;DR: It's Tryia heaven, but you don't actually have to die to go there, and unless its in a region where a powerful being can hold together regions of it as one distinct place it will be random as hell.

kitten, if that's so, LS4 was a colossaly missed opportunity to have Kralkatorrik as a WvW "boss" where you fight each other and Kralk as he tries to devour the realm you're on.

Hire me Anet, i have so many good ideas!

That would have been epic!

Also, about FotM... Dessa can't leave "the lab" right? I think i remember that part. She and everyone in it is dead right?

Also, i loved the fractals event this year, it made it seem like a tourist destination lol.

4 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

So the Mist warrior recruiters in town are asking people to die basically so they can go and fight in the mists?

What about portals? The ones in LA? Anyone can enter them, does that mean they die if they do?

Or do they die after they leave spawn?

Or is anyone alive until they're first slain in the Mists and then well, unless you're "the commander", tough luck? 😛

I'm reading too much into this, i know, but i always found the lore of this game very interesting.

1 minute ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

kitten, if that's so, LS4 was a colossaly missed opportunity to have Kralkatorrik as a WvW "boss" where you fight each other and Kralk as he tries to devour the realm you're on.

Hire me Anet, i have so many good ideas!

That would have been epic!

Also, about FotM... Dessa can't leave "the lab" right? I think i remember that part. She and everyone in it is dead right?

Also, i loved the fractals event this year, it made it seem like a tourist destination lol.

Not necessarily 'dead' she is an echo. The real Dessa may or may not be dead, but it is somewhat implied that she is.

So the Mist warrior recruiters in town are asking people to die basically so they can go and fight in the mists?

No. Living people can visit the mists. We did all the time in GW1 when we went into the Domain of Anguish, Fissure of Woe, and the Underworld. Even the Hall of Heroes was where we fought in the mists as living people.

What about portals? The ones in LA? Anyone can enter them, does that mean they die if they do?

See above.

Or do they die after they leave spawn?

See above.

Or is anyone alive until they're first slain in the Mists and then well, unless you're "the commander", tough luck? 😛

I'm reading too much into this, i know, but i always found the lore of this game very interesting.

You are. The Mists are both a place where the dead go when they die but also a place where the living can visit under specific conditions/entry points. It all in the original GW1 lore.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Not necessarily 'dead' she is an echo. The real Dessa may or may not be dead, but it is somewhat implied that she is.

No. Living people can visit the mists. We did all the time in GW1 when we went into the Domain of Anguish, Fissure of Woe, and the Underworld. Even the Hall of Heroes was where we fought in the mists as living people.

See above.

See above.

You are. The Mists are both a place where the dead go when they die but also a place where the living can visit under specific conditions/entry points. It all in the original GW1 lore.

Thanks for the clarification! 🙂

Tyrian afterlife sounds nice, you get to just pop in a portal and see what it'll be like, and maybe visit your loved ones.

(i know it's not that simple, just joking)

2 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Thanks for the clarification! 🙂

Tyrian afterlife sounds nice, you get to just pop in a portal and see what it'll be like, and maybe visit your loved ones.

(i know it's not that simple, just joking)

Yeah and as we saw in Dragonfall, they can cross over to our side under specific conditions as well, but don't because of reasons.

Honestly, once they become mist beings they probably gain an expanded awareness and understand that their place are in the Mists and purposefully do not cross over unless absolutely needed as we have seen in the story. That and they probably cannot cross over for long anyway. I think the only reason we say some of them for so long in Dragonfall is that it wasn't really that long, and we were standing on portions of the god's realms so they most likely functioned as something of an anchor for them.