Weh No Su

GRRRR.3521

So if theres a version of Napui Quarters in the expansion that old dude with the hat should be there and when you got the "Closer to the Stars" title on he should tell you he remembers your ancestor. Then he should tell you to go talk to an Adept. I would like that because im a nerd.

Ok thanks.

• Like 9

It would be neat to see something in-lore play out in the game that transcends time.  Nahpui Quarter could contain something like that.  

Obviously the overarching development is done, so too late to ask for this.  Just hoping something like this is in there.  

1 hour ago, Konjo.4981 said:

A lot of players (including me) use the same character name they used in the original Guild Wars. So they are still (role)playing the same person/character.

This is also why I don't think something like the OP's  suggestion would play out like that.  Also, there are 4 other species now, not just humans.  

I'd still like to see a character who has a perspective beyond the constraint of time.  Hopefully AreaNet put something like that in the corner of a map somewhere for us to discover.

Given that there are still people attempting ascension in the Crystal Desert, it's not too unlikely that Arenanet will also do something about We no su.

Maybe there will still be people trying to get closer to the stars.

But I do not want to see something like humans being treated as descendants of the first game's heroes, even with a Hall of Monuments connecting the accounts. My characters in GW2 are not descendants of my characters in GW1, as they didn't have children.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

No need to ruin thing any further just so nostalgia addicts can get their fix. Ugh, who am i kidding? Of course they'll do it. It's Cantha again just for the sake of nostalgia, for crying out loud!

Well no, look how they turned Shing Jea into a mix of  a paint pot and an alien planet so they're not that keen on respecting the original game.

Edited by radda.8920
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Konjo.4981 said:

A lot of players (including me) use the same character name they used in the original Guild Wars. So they are still (role)playing the same person/character.

To me this is a good illustration of why it's so difficult for developers to include things like this in the game. I'm using several of my GW1 character names in GW2, but none of them are supposed to be the same person.

One (my human ranger) is the descendant of all my GW1 characters, the others are totally unconnected people who happen to have the same names, purely because I liked the names and wanted to keep using them.

So they can't even do something like trigger bonus dialogue only if you have a GW1 account linked and the same character name on that account because if the resulting dialogue references the two being related it would be wrong for Konjo and if it references them being the same person it would be wrong for me. To fit all the variations players might have it would have to be something incredibly vague like "Hmm...your name seems familar, have we met before?" at which point they may as well just save some trouble by putting the line in for everyone and let each player interpret it however they choose.

Also we've already had several GW1 characters reappearing in GW2, including Ogden Stonehealer and Koss who could both be unlocked as heroes (meaning they were part of your party whenever you chose to use them) so they should definitely remember your characters if they were the same or had the same name, and neither says anything about it. To me it would be very strange if they didn't do that with reoccuring story instances and then did it with someone who briefly appeared in one mission.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, GRRRR.3521 said:

So if theres a version of Napui Quarters in the expansion that old dude with the hat should be there and when you got the "Closer to the Stars" title on he should tell you he remembers your ancestor. Then he should tell you to go talk to an Adept. I would like that because im a nerd.

Ok thanks.

1) The location of the Weh no Su trials canonically moves around.

2) Suun is mortal, and his title of Oracle of the Mists passes on to successors (in Factions, Chiyo was training to become his successor, but she'll be long dead too).

3) I don't think the charr, norn, asura, or sylvari PC are descended from the GW1 PC. However, there's a chance of more "familiar soul" commentary should we visit Tahnnakai Temple and talk to Togo's or Vizu's ghosts.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

To me this is a good illustration of why it's so difficult for developers to include things like this in the game. I'm using several of my GW1 character names in GW2, but none of them are supposed to be the same person.

One (my human ranger) is the descendant of all my GW1 characters, the others are totally unconnected people who happen to have the same names, purely because I liked the names and wanted to keep using them.

So they can't even do something like trigger bonus dialogue only if you have a GW1 account linked and the same character name on that account because if the resulting dialogue references the two being related it would be wrong for Konjo and if it references them being the same person it would be wrong for me. To fit all the variations players might have it would have to be something incredibly vague like "Hmm...your name seems familar, have we met before?" at which point they may as well just save some trouble by putting the line in for everyone and let each player interpret it however they choose.

Also we've already had several GW1 characters reappearing in GW2, including Ogden Stonehealer and Koss who could both be unlocked as heroes (meaning they were part of your party whenever you chose to use them) so they should definitely remember your characters if they were the same or had the same name, and neither says anything about it. To me it would be very strange if they didn't do that with reoccuring story instances and then did it with someone who briefly appeared in one mission.

There are means to let the player make this choice, though.

For instance, to give an example people know, there's the "will Amnoon accept protection from the Sunspears, Joko, or remain neutral" choice in Path of Fire, which influences some later story steps and dialogue around Amnoon. They can give players agency of whether they consider a particular character to be descended from a GW1 character or not by having a moment early in the storyline where GW1 events are mentioned, and if you're playing a human character, you get an opportunity to say something along the lines of "one of my ancestors was involved in that." Choosing that option can then influence how other NPCs respond to the character and other minor nods to choosing that background for your character.

Now, I know they haven't done it before, but that doesn't mean that they can't improve going forward.

On 8/8/2021 at 6:49 AM, Konjo.4981 said:

Descendants for me 😄

Cept for my rev, he's a reincarnation of my Gw1 main.. which is why he's a Rev lol

On 8/8/2021 at 5:49 AM, Konjo.4981 said:

I am not curious how did you justify human living for over 250 years in your rp....

While my GW2 guardian has same name as my gw1 warrior I had him to be descendant (not same person 😉 ) and I even wanted to mark that by expanding the name to show his heritage, but all of alterations I could invent were too long for character limit....

The only one I pretend is same person, is rev, but that is basically because revenant lore + my headcannon on what happened to my pvp-only rit in between the game just screamed to do it.... Aaaand rev is still pretty much pvp only character xD

That sside I would love Weh No Su to still be a thing (maybe even required story step during eod?) in gw2 cantha.

3 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

If Livia can, so can the Hero of Ascalon!

if Magi Malaquire can live for a thousand years, why not the Hero of Nightfall?

Livia had Scepter of Orr to make it happen, didn't hear the story of that "Magi Malaquire" 😉

I am not going to mind someone's head cannon for doing that just asking how they are trying to justify it... probably mostly to see if they even bothered to think about that ^-^'

• Like 1

my main character is not from Tyria, she just helps out , after gw1 she returned to her homeworld, now for tyria 250 years have passed, not for her, and she returns after a request for help.

but it would be nice if we get a question early in the story about

"ancester",

"similar soul"

"same character" or

"unrelated at all",

to give other dialogue options later in the story

5 hours ago, Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:

my main character is not from Tyria, she just helps out , after gw1 she returned to her homeworld, now for tyria 250 years have passed, not for her, and she returns after a request for help.

So basically Narnia, but in Tyria? 🤔 interesting approach.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:21 AM, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Livia had Scepter of Orr to make it happen, didn't hear the story of that "Magi Malaquire" 😉

I am not going to mind someone's head cannon for doing that just asking how they are trying to justify it... probably mostly to see if they even bothered to think about that ^-^'

Malaquire's an NPC in Lion's Arch. There are pieces of dialogue, particularly in the final War in Kryta instance, that imply he's over a thousand years old.

Or maybe just crazy.

The ghosts in the Eye of the North (Hall of the Monuments) already recognizes the "worthiness of your soul" regardless of your race. So, I don't think you need to be a direct descendant to trigger any mention of being connected to an spiritual ancestor. Still, I wonder what the Ministry of Purity would think about it or how they could reconcile it given that all Emperors are Weh no Su too since the reign of Chang Hai. Could they think humanity is the highest spiritual form that all worthy beings reincarnate themselves into? 

On 8/8/2021 at 4:30 AM, GRRRR.3521 said:

Ok thanks.

And tell u how ur acestor F* up Elona by awakening Joko...

17 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Abaddon bringing about Nightfall is what released Joko.

no, we the players released joko, to learn how to traverse the sulfurous wastes.

offcourse this was to stop varesh and abaddon, but we the player released joko and then did not put him back because 'we made a promise not to do that if he told us how to traverse the sulfur'

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:

no, we the players released joko, to learn how to traverse the sulfurous wastes.

offcourse this was to stop varesh and abaddon, but we the player released joko and then did not put him back because 'we made a promise not to do that if he told us how to traverse the sulfur'

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Storyline_of_Nightfall#The_Road_to_Vabbi

"After this, a disruption happens in the Jahai Bluffs that consumes Kormir and throws her into the Realm of Torment, but at the same time, it frees Palawa Joko, the infamous undead lord who tried to invade Elona centuries ago, from his prison. While the Sunspears are saddened by Kormir's disappearance, the appearance of Palawa Joko is a great opportunity, for if anyone knows how to cross the sulfurous lands of the Desolation, it would be him. "

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Palawa_Joko

"Centuries later, Turai Ossa's descendant, Warmarshal Varesh Ossa, attempted to summon the dark god Abaddon and bring about Nightfall. The weakening of reality freed Joko, who fled to the Sulfurous Wastelands after being disturbed by Spearmarshal Kormir of the Order of the Sunspears, who had dreamed that the Sunspears must travel to the monument to Joko's defeat to see what awaited them there. Being buried and bound for so long had cost Joko all of his power, however, so he was easily caught by the Veldrunner centaurs shortly after his attempted escape. "

• Like 1