Swimsuits; The Gold Standard [Merged]

Swimsuit Poll!  

388 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Anet should add the Faren and Kasmeer swimwear outfits from Southsun?

• Yes.
    • Si.
    • Ja.
    • Sí.
    • No - Sike, just kidding, of course they should.

5 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

2) someone on their team who is in charge has some strange lines they draw about skin exposure (would fit with the invisible feet being such a super rare item and the starborn outfit being a black lion chest/statuette exclusive)

If this is the case, I want to talk to this person. I just want to talk to them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

If this is the case, I want to talk to this person. I just want to talk to them.

Lol, me too. I feel like there was this period with western MMOs where they were less weird about outfits that show skin, but also were in some cases biased toward female versions of outfits vs. male, with the female ones showing skin where male ones didn't (you can see some remnants of this trend in older armor in this game). And then I'm not 100% clear on what happened after, but my impression is a lot of people complained about it ceaselessly in more than one game and instead of making male and female outfit skimpiness equal, they started doing this thing of dressing everybody in frocks (ok, I'm being hyperbolic saying frocks, but it's like more than one game started consciously avoiding the issue entirely by making outfits that didn't show skin at all).

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I'm convinced it's either:

1) something about the difference in their rigs for armor weight is holding them back

2) someone on their team who is in charge has some strange lines they draw about skin exposure (would fit with the invisible feet being such a super rare item and the starborn outfit being a black lion chest/statuette exclusive)

I can't think of any other reason. They are pretty shameless about making money otherwise.

Somewhere way back in the depths of this very long thread (which I am glad to see back on page one) I linked a bunch of outfits that demonstrate ArenaNet has not gotten more conservative about showing skin over time. Outfits released 2019ish had more skin showing than previous sets, most notably in the male armor.

I think our recent slate of more conservative looks is due to a goal of handling the inspiration for Cantha in a respectful, authentic way. It lines up with how the music went back to the drawing board after it was too contemporary fantasy sprinkled with an Asian sound and was reworked to actually draw from authentic Korean instruments and composition.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Somewhere way back in the depths of this very long thread (which I am glad to see back on page one) I linked a bunch of outfits that demonstrate ArenaNet has not gotten more conservative about showing skin over time. Outfits released 2019ish had more skin showing than previous sets, most notably in the male armor.

I think our recent slate of more conservative looks is due to a goal of handling the inspiration for Cantha in a respectful, authentic way. It lines up with how the music went back to the drawing board after it was too contemporary fantasy sprinkled with an Asian sound and was reworked to actually draw from authentic Korean instruments and composition.

Huh. I don't want to hunt through the thread, so I'll have to take your word for it. I do wonder what metric you're going by though. Like just pure coverage vs. not, or certain types of styles. I've looked through outfits in the past in wardrobe and struggled to find ones that seem notably skimpy to me, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me to what degree.

25 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Huh. I don't want to hunt through the thread, so I'll have to take your word for it. I do wonder what metric you're going by though. Like just pure coverage vs. not, or certain types of styles. I've looked through outfits in the past in wardrobe and struggled to find ones that seem notably skimpy to me, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me to what degree.

Elona introduce some Arabian like outfits that exposed chest and/or midriff on male armor. Tasteful, not skimpy, but significantly more skin than the norm for male outfits.

Eve’s prophecy outfit doesn’t show a ton of skin, but is notable in that they didn’t significantly alter it from the female version, and it is definitely not conservative in its design.

Thise are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Due to this thread I went and spent some time looking through skins and when they were launched to see if I could see a trend, and my conclusion was that they’d actually gotten less conservative in design overall, especially with male armor, since female already had skimpy options at launch.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Elona introduce some Arabian like outfits that exposed chest and/or midriff on male armor. Tasteful, not skimpy, but significantly more skin than the norm for male outfits.

Eve’s prophecy outfit doesn’t show a ton of skin, but is notable in that they didn’t significantly alter it from the female version, and it is definitely not conservative in its design.

Thise are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Due to this thread I went and spent some time looking through skins and when they were launched to see if I could see a trend, and my conclusion was that they’d actually gotten less conservative in design overall, especially with male armor, since female already had skimpy options at launch.

Good to know. All the less excuse they have then lol.

• Confused 1

I still argue that IF there is a ban on new skin-showing or sexy outfits and armors it would have only been within the last three or four years that it would have been implemented, well after PoF.  Eve's seems to be like the last one, and it has the distinction of being directly based of a classic preexisting design...also its actually kinda tame imo.

• Confused 1

This is right up there with why don't they give more hair choices? It's like anet doesn't want to earn crazy money on simple things and instead focuses on another recolor of the skyscale with lightning bolts coming out of it and charges $30 for it.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Good to know. All the less excuse they have then lol.

Do check the Masquerade Armorset on any race and gender, specially the leggings part. It's really revealing from the front or the rear depending on the race, specially under the skirt, underwear is even more skimpy than the default naked model.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, narwhalsbend.7059 said:

How long has it been since Southsun now, ten years? Don't get your hopes up.

You've got Four Winds again in another month, and past that, back to another year of waiting.

Nah, there’s also the dream of a Wintersday vacation to warmer climes. Summer in December would be fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Is it a game rating issue?  Is there a country where this game would become rated Mature if player characters had swimsuits?  
  If Anet released a Leotard as an outfit would that pass? I mean sure a leotard happens to look like a one piece swimsuit, but a leotard is a legitimate piece of athletic clothing.  Gymnasts, Ballet dancers, figure skaters, ect all can wear leotards and it is accepted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Is it a game rating issue?  Is there a country where this game would become rated Mature if player characters had swimsuits?  
  If Anet released a Leotard as an outfit would that pass? I mean sure a leotard happens to look like a one piece swimsuit, but a leotard is a legitimate piece of athletic clothing.  Gymnasts, Ballet dancers, figure skaters, ect all can wear leotards and it is accepted.

China maybe? Anything remotely interesting is banned there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Hard to imagine that’s the case when players can wear Sorcerer’s, Winged, Feathered, and Masquerade.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1