End of Dragons = End of GW2?

The fact that GW2 appears for Steam could also be a bad sign. We already know that most other NCSoft games generate more money and Anet is under pressure to make more.

So, I can't deny that this title makes me fear that this could be the total ending story for GW2, and that this game will slowly switch to life support afterwards.

What do you think guys and gals?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They already answered this

@Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

@Forbidden Virtue.1089 said:Does this mean after this expantion it's over? That the story is done?

No, this does not mean the end of the story. I'm not going to give you spoilers, but all of our Living World seasons have been building toward this. We've been working on this for a long time. In the meantime, we’re having lots of fun reading all your ideas about where the story is heading. Speculate away!

@Teratus.2859 said:When the Elder Dragon story does eventually end I hope there'll be more adventures in this world before another game is considered.I hope you are right!

@Teratus.2859 said:We really don't need a gw3 anytime soon.Well, I don't think that GW3 will ever happen. Creating a complete new MMORPG with all the content isn't that cheap and would be a high risk. In addition, it's not necessary because GW2 is not as restricted as GW1. So it wouldn't make sense to make GW3.

@Teratus.2859 said:When the Elder Dragon story does eventually end I hope there'll be more adventures in this world before another game is considered.We really don't need a gw3 anytime soon.

I want to agree on this, but I find myself unable to, due to the poor optimization of the game's engine. I mean i'm not expert so I can't judge, but its known that GW2 is strugglign to keep up with the technologies, having a lagging game with even potent computers.Nonetheless, I don't desire gw2 to end anytime soon and I believe it won't. People shouldn't panic thinking the game will close until there is an official statement. FOr the time being, continue to support the game and it will live for more years.

Its unlikely, they'll probably try to make at least ten years like GW1. So still a few years left to go.

And after that it'll just be on life support, and won't be shut down completely. Remember, there'll be a decade's worth of content for new players joining the game to experience, even without any new updates.

You have to look at it from more than just a veteran's perspective. Players joining the game now will be playing it for years still, before they even begin to finish all the achievements and masteries, mounts, Legendary weapons, armor & trinkets and such.

The game's on rocky ground right now but also far from over.

I expect it to be the last expansion. I assume all 6 dragons will be dealt with by then. There will be 1, 2 or maybe 3 LWs. I do not think there will be any additional paid content after next expansion.

I do not think we will have a WoW situation, where the game keep going. I think it will be similar to GW1. By 2025 or so we might have GW3, on a new engine, with a new in game era.

It was always obvious that after the dragon story the story would still progress. Dragons are fine, but in the long run I personally feel like it was a big waste of potential when it comes to world building. Everything right now is so heavily centered around the dragons when actually tyria has a big history of guilds, gods and many other things we haven't seen much of in GW2. Imagine killing the last dragon and bang - the story is over and the game goes into maintenance. Just doesn't add up to me.

@Wolfb.7025 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:When the Elder Dragon story does eventually end I hope there'll be more adventures in this world before another game is considered.We really don't need a gw3 anytime soon.

I want to agree on this, but I find myself unable to, due to the poor optimization of the game's engine. I mean i'm not expert so I can't judge, but its known that GW2 is strugglign to keep up with the technologies, having a lagging game with even potent computers.Nonetheless, I don't desire gw2 to end anytime soon and I believe it won't. People shouldn't panic thinking the game will close until there is an official statement. FOr the time being, continue to support the game and it will live for more years.

Gw2 is poorly optimized though I doubt the lag issues are because of that, the game has always had poor optimization but this lag issue is fairly recent for the game.Many of the maps it occurs on so often have been around for a good while now and didn't have this issue a few months back.

I have a feeling the current condi meta in WvW is a big player in the lag since almost all the lag spikes i've dealt with have been at peak WvW times.My theory is that that there is just so much going on in WvW that servers are off loading data onto others to compensate for it.. thus slowing down other areas of the game.I'm no developer though so it's at best just a guess..

I don't think they have the funds or manpower to create GW3 so i cannot see them ending their cash cow anytime soon, pretty sure steam is just another way of adding to the playerbase.. Although i do feel that blocking existing accounts was a mistake but time will tell on that.

I do not think GW2 is ending anytime soon.

I'll leave this here.

Quote from Anet:

No, this does not mean the end of the story. I'm not going to give you spoilers, but all of our Living World seasons have been building toward this. We've been working on this for a long time. In the meantime, we’re having lots of fun reading all your ideas about where the story is heading. Speculate away!

The only thing that will kill the game is players going on and on about 'the game dead' when its not. It's a terrible meme and I hope people stop doing it.

It isnt the end imo. Maybe last expac but the story can continue with LWsKralk menthioned his mother in the last episode of LW4. And there is this Cycle thing in the game. I think the cycle means 1 elder dragon (the core orb in ommads machine) gives birth to 6 other elder dragons (the other orbs around the core with difrent colors representing the magic of that dragon) and these dragons exist and consume magic and live untill they are all dead. Once dead a new "Mother" gives birth to 6 other elder dragons and repeats the cycle.In the last trailer u hear this:A:You know it doesnt have to be this way.B: they need meI think the part which says it doesnt have to be this way is said by kuunavang and is saying that person B doesnt have to die ( person B=deep sea dragon) and B says they need me ( it means i have to die so the cycle could kinda get repeated? By aurene)This is my opinion tbhThey wont end the story here probably

@"crepuscular.9047" said:Very unlikely, noticed they added the tagline "The Cycle is Reborn"? this is the very first time they had added a tagline to a release.

That is likely referring to the cycle of the elder dragons and how they awaken every so often. Now the elder dragon cycles will come to an end and a new series of cycles will take their place.

my theory: the Sea Dragon has already been dealt with by the peoples of Cantha; Kuunavang is a minor dragon so i'm going to assume she isn't either of the ones portrayed in the logo; the "mother" who is likely talking to Kuu. in the trailer isn't a dragon at all, she's maybe a "goddess" or a Spirit of the wild, or a Titan... maybe even something else altogether, coming from only the devs know where - and she'd be the bridge to future lore after the EoD storyline is over.The question then remains, who are the yin-yang dragons? they are Primordus and Aurene. Assuming Jormag will be killed at the end of the Saga, those 2 are the only real two dragons worth of battling it out at the end of times.. or the end of their race :P let's remember Prim. comes from the depths (dark) as opposed to Aurene, the dragon of light - this dichotomy placates the very notion of yin-yang perfectly. Prim was the first elder dragon to awake and has been supposedly absorbing all the magic and power that Aurene has now, only he was already elder before she was even born so... who wins, who dies out of the two and how, I won't risk guessing.. maybe they'll just kill each other off? but Aurene is the great-granddaughter of the "mother" so maybe that'll come into play... everyone's guess.

edit: actually... haha, thinking back on the previous logos I think it's safe to assume the one surfacing in a wave is actually the Deep Sea Dragon - the visual clue is too strong to be ignored. As to the other one... considering what Arcaniaxs.4519 referenced about Omadd's machine, Primordus is the more logical choice, since Aurene wasn't even around back then.

Even if it's the End of Dragons, due remember there's still the little issue over the fact that in Dragonfall, we have parts of the freaking Mists leaking into Tyria. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Tales of-ish story where we gotta contend with the fact that because of the dragons being gone, it caused such disruption that the Mists and Tyria are being squished together.Which would be interesting because if Eir and Snaff are in the Mists....Scarlet Briar, Caudecus and quite a few others we've 'wronged' will be there too.

@Randulf.7614 said:They already answered this

@Forbidden Virtue.1089 said:Does this mean after this expantion it's over? That the story is done?

if they mention about all the LS build toward this. that mean it could relate to Primordus on the 3rd expansion. i really want to know how they going to end the story. we still got 3 elder dragon left.