Who is lord Faren and why is he half naked a lot ?

aandiarie.7195

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a human noble who wants to help save the world and believes he's a much better fighter than he actually is. He also considers himself a bit of a ladies man, but as far as I remember he's never shown to have much success, the best he ever seems to get is polite refusals.

He's first introduced in the human noble personal story, he's your characters friend (like Andrew and Petra for human commoners and Quinn for street rats). When bandits kidnap a bunch of people he's the one guy who volunteers to help you get them back. He brags about being the top pupil of Swordmaster Bongo the One-Eyed (it's later revealed that his parents paid for the title) and as far as I remember he's about average in combat, no better or worse than most NPCs.

He keeps popping up periodically after that, either deliberately - he volunteered to join the soldiers from Divinity's Reach when they agreed to support the Pact's assault on Mordremoth - or by accident - he was kidnapped by Scarlet when she attacked Divinity's Reach because he happened to be standing need the Queen when she attacked.

As for why he's so often naked there's a variety of reasons in-game. In Southsun he was on holiday on the beach, in HoT I think he lost or damaged his clothes in the crash and then decided he was going to live off the land and dress kind of like the hylek. And at the end of PoF he's apparently working on his tan...at night...inside. He's not the brightest bulb in the box. I get the impression someone at Anet thinks he's attractive and wants excuses to show him off.

(There's also been mention in-game of a rare Lord Faren calendar, but we've never seen it.)

@Danikat.8537 said:He's a human noble who wants to help save the world and believes he's a much better fighter than he actually is. He also considers himself a bit of a ladies man, but as far as I remember he's never shown to have much success, the best he ever seems to get is polite refusals.

He's first introduced in the human noble personal story, he's your characters friend (like Andrew and Petra for human commoners and Quinn for street rats). When bandits kidnap a bunch of people he's the one guy who volunteers to help you get them back. He brags about being the top pupil of Swordmaster Bongo the One-Eyed (it's later revealed that his parents paid for the title) and as far as I remember he's about average in combat, no better or worse than most NPCs.

He keeps popping up periodically after that, either deliberately - he volunteered to join the soldiers from Divinity's Reach when they agreed to support the Pact's assault on Mordremoth - or by accident - he was kidnapped by Scarlet when she attacked Divinity's Reach because he happened to be standing need the Queen when she attacked.

As for why he's so often naked there's a variety of reasons in-game. In Southsun he was on holiday on the beach, in HoT I think he lost or damaged his clothes in the crash and then decided he was going to live off the land and dress kind of like the hylek. And at the end of PoF he's apparently working on his tan...at night...inside. He's not the brightest bulb in the box. I get the impression someone at Anet thinks he's attractive and wants excuses to show him off.

(There's also been mention in-game of a rare Lord Faren calendar, but we've never seen it.)

There is mesmer from HoT LS that made copy of Lord Faren. I think he is quite popular, even among the white mantle :P

He's comic relief.

IMO he's not that funny, but I like how we have one character who has not made a couple appearances and has then been forgotten (like almost everyone we meet in the core GW2 storyline), nor follows our character around everywhere all the time (Taimi and her super friends). There are a few NPCs like that in the game, mostly part of the Divinity's Reach nobility (the queen, the countess, Faren, and so on).

@kurfu.5623 said:

@Cynz.9437 said:Many things can be said about Lord Faren. But in short he is a delusional gentleman and noble :)Why he is naked? Ever heard of fan service? :D

Cool! Does that mean that we will also have female characters running around shirtless as well?

Do you not recall our first meeting with Kasmeer Meade?

@kurfu.5623 said:

@Cynz.9437 said:Many things can be said about Lord Faren. But in short he is a delusional gentleman and noble :)Why he is naked? Ever heard of fan service? :D

Cool! Does that mean that we will also have female characters running around shirtless as well?

Honestly, female armor skins show off so much skin in this game that they might as well be topless.

Because male sexualization is fine but as soon as it happens to da gurlz everyone loses their shit.

I don't mind it of course, but the double standards are HILARIOUS as always.

Lo and behold as the triggered sjws are now gonna point out that kasmeer also was in a bikini at one point and also has a bikini mini. NO other female character would appear in underwear in the middle of a story instance like Faren. But it's ok, live and die by your double standards.

@Danikat.8537 said:As for why he's so often naked there's a variety of reasons in-game. In Southsun he was on holiday on the beach, in HoT I think he lost or damaged his clothes in the crash and then decided he was going to live off the land and dress kind of like the hylek. And at the end of PoF he's apparently working on his tan...at night...inside. He's not the brightest bulb in the box. I get the impression someone at Anet thinks he's attractive and wants excuses to show him off.

You missed one. In LS1 when Scarlet "ends up" with him in her custody, he ends up in his undies too. If I recall correctly, she had him in a cook pot. And there was a line about "fancy panties" or "manly panties" that made me laugh so hard, I cried.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:He's rich, you know.Also he's one of the most meaningless characters I've ever seen in a game, right after those shiny kitten in Kingdom Hearts II in the Underworld tunnels leading to Hades.

Wait... the plural of ball is censored? Wow, we've come far as a "intelligent" race!

He's not meaningless, I would actually say he is one of the bravest characters in the game, he is always putting himself in harm's way to help another. He isn't the brightest but his heart is in the right place.

@LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

You missed one. In LS1 when Scarlet "ends up" with him in her custody, he ends up in his undies too. If I recall correctly, she had him in a cook pot. And there was a line about "fancy panties" or "manly panties" that made me laugh so hard, I cried.

Yup. That "manly panties" line was my favorite part of that entire LW section.

Also, Faren was the judge of the Tyria's Fanciest Cat Competition. He robbed Chauncey von Snuffles III of his deserved title!

@chronometria.3708 said:Faren is actually our version of Bruce Wayne. He appears to be rich, useless fop but in fact is very likely the character who sends us all those secret messages in the story and who saves the world from the shadows.

Yep. I've thought for years that he is E, in proper Scarlet Pimpernel fashion. The old forum discussions on it are gone except in the archive but here's the current one: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/8307/speculations-on-e/p1 (in which the focus is on Faren as E but other opinions are welcome as well).

@chronometria.3708 said:Faren is actually our version of Bruce Wayne. He appears to be rich, useless fop but in fact is very likely the character who sends us all those secret messages in the story and who saves the world from the shadows.

It's worth pointing out that he survived the jungles of Maguma on his own, unarmored, with nothing but a sword. That's a place that broke trained and armed solders in groups.

There's clearly something going on with him, he's better than he acts.

@Palador.2170 said:

It's worth pointing out that he survived the jungles of Maguma on his own, unarmored, with nothing but a sword. That's a place that broke trained and armed solders in groups.

There's clearly something going on with him, he's better than he acts.

Or maybe he just has The Dark One's own luck. ;)

Archived