Path of Fire Material Storage — Guild Wars 2 Forums

You now can upload images from Tumblr and Imgur, in addition to YouTube and Instagram. Please see this thread for more information.

Path of Fire Material Storage

With the arrival of Path of Fire, many new materials and components will be added to Material Storage. But for a handful of items, we've specifically decided not to start with them in Material Storage, and instead to add them to the storage system later. Why? Well, at the launch of Heart of Thorns, we noticed a peculiar behavior: most players will deposit first when clearing their inventory, and then proceed to take actions like salvaging, opening chests, or, crucially, putting items on the Trading Post. This tended to mean that before a player will post an item on the Trading Post, they'll wait to accrue a full stack in their Material Storage. During the early period of Heart of Thorns, this significantly contributed to the early expense of flax, which was abundantly available but, for the most part, was "warehoused" in the banks of players.

In an experiment to see if we can combat the early steep price of a handful of materials, we will launch Path of Fire without those items being depositable. Once we are comfortable with the supply and price—which we believe should become apparent in weeks, not months—we will add them to material storage.

We know how important inventory space is to players, and we take seriously how much of your time is spent playing versus managing your play. Hopefully, this decision will help ensure a steady supply of materials to the market, without unduly burdening your bags.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Fansite and Guild Relations; In-Game Events

Tagged:
<<134567

Comments

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭

@TexZero.7910 said:
    I'd honestly prefer you didn't as saving materials is natural because the recipes are often hidden away.

If you wanted to try something to curb anything have material supply be generous and recipes be visible instead of forcing players to use storage slots on this experiment because what's more likely to occur now is people will just hold the materials in storage spots/characters until they can be deposited making the entire point of this announcement a waste.

I don't know, I could see it working on players like me.

I do exactly what Gaile described - open inventory, deposit materials, then sort everything else and I know there's been times before when I've been digging through the bank for stuff to sell to raise some gold and I've been surprised by a large collection of a valuable material. It barely even registers when I pick it up (there's a good chance I'll never even see it if it's not in the first bag) and I'd never normally see what it's worth because it's not there when I open the TP.

Whereas if those materials can't be deposited they'll still be in my inventory when I open the TP, so I'll see what they're worth right away and because I have to move them manually into the bank there's a good chance I'll have at least a rough idea of how many I have. If I find I have 'a lot'* of a valuable material there's a good chance I'll decide to sell some now, on the basis that I can get more just as easily if I need it later. (Or even easier if the price drops by then.)

*'A lot' is a deliberately vague term - for cooking ingredients I tend to keep at least 50 of each ingredient but for Lodestones, Cores etc. it's 10 and for gemstones its 25.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation (EU).

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair."

• Heisenberg.1482Heisenberg.1482 Member
    edited September 18

How many items/inventory slots are we talking about? If it's just a few then I won't mind. I usually don't look forward to selling stuff on the TP which is why I let materials pile up (usually between 400-500) before selling.

Edit: I'd sell more often and enjoy it more if I didn't get so OCD about getting the optimal selling price for everything all the time. Maybe I'll have to work on that.

• Lunarlife.5128Lunarlife.5128 Member ✭✭
    edited September 18

Thanks for giving us the heads up on this!

• Ojimaru.8970Ojimaru.8970 Member ✭✭✭

Thank you for the heads up and early explanation!

• Charrbeque.8729Charrbeque.8729 Member ✭✭
    edited September 18

@TexZero.7910 said:
    I'd honestly prefer you didn't as saving materials is natural because the recipes are often hidden away.

If you wanted to try something to curb anything have material supply be generous and recipes be visible instead of forcing players to use storage slots on this experiment because what's more likely to occur now is people will just hold the materials in storage spots/characters until they can be deposited making the entire point of this announcement a waste.

The supply is generous if you count all players as a whole. If the supply was generous for an individual player, there would be no need to buy them on the trading post, which would make them worthless to sell.

The problem is - as Gaile point out about flax seeds, and other devs have mentioned in the past - is that for some items, there is already plenty of supply in the game. For one reason or another some players are hoarding tons of them in their banks instead of selling them.

I get what Gaile is saying: they hope to encourage players to sell the new items in the trading post so the prices don't start and stay sky high, because eventually players will complain about the prices being too high and demanding more ways to get it and ArenaNet won't be able to do anything because a lot of supply already exists in the game.

Edit: I guess you could say I'm a bit of a hoarder myself. I do always eventually sell off all my materials I don't need. Usually when I actually need gold for something. It's easier to sell them all at once instead of selling everything the moment I get them.

• @killermanjaro.5670 said:
    If these will stay in our inventory for a while as not depositable then I'll most likely just let them build up to a stack each time before selling anyway, rather than listing 5-10 each time in the knowledge that I'm just going to have to do it again shortly after.

This may be the case, but many people (at least I'm in this group), have a larger Material Storage now because of the ability to buy expansion (up to 2000). So for some people this will still be of large excess. It's also more likely that some people will sell immediately in order to fully free up their space. Everyone's different though.

• Ulion.5476Ulion.5476 Member ✭✭

The player that horde their crafting mats are end game crafters. I know that whatever legendary is in PoF I will try to make. I will also, try to craft some of the new cosmetic items. I will not sell much of the new PoF mats. The newer players and casual in GW2 will be the ones that like this change and hopefully it will do as A-net expects.

• Blue.1207Blue.1207 Member ✭✭
    edited September 19

DRASTIC EDIT: WOW YOU CANT EVEN DELETE COMMENTS ON THIS NEW FORUM

• Preyar.6783Preyar.6783 Member ✭✭
    edited September 18

People are complaining about an experiment that will at most take up a few bag spaces of your inventory for a few weeks unless you're hoarding. I for one am excited to see if this changes anything. I usually sell new stuff I get when they get in the gold range of TP selling and don't really care for hoarding unless I actually need the item.

Collect All The Things!

• Any chance we can get a list of which materials this will be?

• Fluffy.1932Fluffy.1932 Member ✭✭

I'm actually pretty happy about this. One thing I learned in HoT is that it is much better to sell mats right away when the demand is high, and then buy them later once the price has stabilized. This'll make it much easier to enact that plan because I won't be accidentally depositing my mats all the time.

<<134567
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.