Are you satisfied? In GW2

I would like to quote a real business case to illustrate the importance of satisfaction to the user.

In 2015, WeChat Red Packets cooperated with Spring Festival Evening, and users increased from 4.5 million users to hundreds of millions of users in one day. In 2016, Ali took 269 million yuan to win the qualification for cooperation in the Spring Festival Gala of the Year of the Monkey. What? Is to push the Alipay red envelope.

How is it done? It also proposed a concept called "collecting five blessings, divided into two hundred thousand cash." You must also have the impression that a bunch of people have gathered the four blessings, and the last one is dedication.

Let's take stock of the numbers, Alipay issued a total of 820,000 dedication. And how many of the users are gathered together? 790,000.

There is no concept in listening to this. We throw two more data out, how many users are participating in this event? At least it is unlikely to be less than 20 million, and what is the total number of users of Alipay? 400 million users.

We talked about it in the first lesson. What is cool is to be satisfied. The feeling of being satisfied is cool, and it is uncomfortable not to be satisfied. I am full of anticipation, I have worked hard for a long time to collect blessings, and I have gathered four of them. The last one is not collected, and it is definitely not good.

How high is the unsatisfactory rate of the Alipay red envelope in 2016? Alipay spent 269 million to advertise, if 20 million users participate in Alipay to grab the red envelope, the unhappy people are greater than 96%. If it is said that its 400 million users have participated in the red packets, the unhappy rate is 99.8%.

When you spent dozens of hours in Guild Wars 2 and got hundreds of treasure chests, when you clicked on the mouse a few hundred times, you got a lot of rubbish, and the new skin was placed in the gem store. This is why GW2 is unhappy.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was, until this infusion tease with the zephyr supply chests. It was disheartening to spend so much RL money trying to get an infusion. ANY infusion. Has changed my outlook quite a bit and made me realize just how much money I’ve been throwing at this game with nothing in return. Going to be a free loader here on out. It’s not worth the financial investment.

To be honest I'm not really sure what your post is trying to say, by the last part I'm getting the impression it's to do with bad loot?

Anyhow, I'm very satisfied. Overall the game and expansions have cost maybe £100ish, and out of that I've had thousands of hours of fun, entertainment and enjoyment in the game. So pretty satisfying I'd say!

@alberte.2685 said:~SNIP~Your post made absolutely no sense what so ever, why do I care about two Chinese businesses that have absolutely nothing to do with this game...nothing you said is even remotely comparable. Satisfaction in GW2 is something that is different for every single individual user, I'm quite satisfied as it is...each individual player has their own definition of what makes them satisfied, you do not speak for everyone, only yourself.

@Rysdude.3824 said:I was, until this infusion tease with the zephyr supply chests. It was disheartening to spend so much RL money trying to get an infusion. ANY infusion. Has changed my outlook quite a bit and made me realize just how much money I’ve been throwing at this game with nothing in return. Going to be a free loader here on out. It’s not worth the financial investment.

Instead of putting that rl on lootboxes which they are rng and you know it. Why didnt yiu instead turn them into gokd or something and buy the item directly from another player?

I must admit that the rewards are putting me off. Both the general nature of the reward system and the specific rewards leave me without much sense of satisfaction.

Thousands upon thousands of generic drops useful only for salvage to sell or give to others without anything of note or interest.

Vendor rewards such as in the current festival that require you to spend gold as well as the event currency to acquire the weapon skin. If you have to pay for it, it is not a reward IMO.

Then there is the general trend for overdesigned nature of so many of the skins. Over the top, excessively flashy, and generally oversized. All a matter of personal taste of course, but so much emphasis on this bigger/bulkier/flashier = better aesthetic with few alternatives introduced as part of the reward system means I am left with huge stockpiles of various map currencies that I wont spend.

So, I can find fun in the play but am almost always left with an empty feeling when considering the rewards.

Truthfully, no and the reason i truly started to be dissatisfied is when ANet themselves made a little stream of them playing GW1.

The FIRST thing i saw when i checked the stream was a character actually DUAL WIELDING, using both weapons to attack rather than the current "dual wielding" mechanic only for Thieves that merely changes their 3rd skill. This made me want to search on info on GW1 and........i just can't believe how many things i feel GW1 did right and GW2, for whatever reason, changed or removed.

I always wondered why people wanted Spears and Scythes in the game so badly, it's because there's entire classes in GW1 based on using them. There was a gigantic amount of skills, huge customizable builds [without even counting the subclass] and they all have a solid focus [Marksmanship is focused on Bows, of which there were 5 different ones, Beast Mastery is focused on the pet, Illusion Magic was focused entirely on Mesmer Hexes, which were removed/reworked in GW2 although Livia uses them, Dagger Mastery focused entirely on Assassin/Thief in GW2's Dagger abilities, etc]. Compare that to GW2 where the traits just seem to be all over the place with no rhyme or reason.

Then there's the subclass system GW1 had. It allowed you to have complete access to another class' skills and add them to your builds [although you don't really have access to the profession's main attribute], this meant you had a huge amount of freedom to do insane and/or wacky builds. GW2 instead added the specializations in HoT and PoF, which are nowhere near the same and are extremely limiting thanks to how traits work.

How can a company that did so many things correctly in GW1 end up changing and removing a lot of them in the sequel? Even PvP, in all of its forms, seems to have been better in GW1 than anything we've had here.

Yeah, the rewards are lackluster. There's tons and tons of things to do but no real incentive to bother with most activities. Generally I log in just for dailies and time gated crafting then move on.

Fortunately, there's always something to look forward to every couple weeks. There's a few Desert Racer mount skins I dig, and will be farming the hell out of everything for a month or two until I can afford them.

Am I satisfied with GW2? When I answer honestly, I have to say, "No."

• PvP does not interest me.
  • WvW is only intermittently fun, but is way too heavily dependent on server participation to truly present a balanced playing field except seemingly by accident.
  • Instanced PvE is not my cup of tea due to meta play and the attitudes of some. I understand the attitudes and support their right to play as they want, I just don't want to play that way.
  • Large scale world PvE is a headache-inducing blind-fest. If the game had an effects slider, this gameplay element would be appealing. As it is, doing more than one event means dealing with the effects on my health.
  • I DC in story instances way too often, and boss fights with quasi-raid mechanics annoy me. Also, the NPC's leave me cold for the most part.
  • That leaves exploration, which offers limited replay possibility and the least reward in the game after maybe WvW.

Why am I still playing? I'm even less satisfied with the state of the MMO genre as expressed in every other MMO I've tried. I'd rather, seemingly, level a new character (14th or 15th, lost count and don't care enough to look) in GW2 than level a first character in other MMO's.

It's possible I was spoiled by the original Guild Wars. If ANet had made that game with a Z-Axis, an open world and quasi-action combat, GW2 would have been amazing. When ANet announced they would no longer support GW in favor of GW2, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, GW2 fell -- for me -- too far from the tree.

Partially, but that's why I think GW2 will never be a main game for me. I like it from time to time but there are a number of annoyances that I listed in other threads. I do get that they need to sell skins via the Gem store but I think by comparison the Gem store is fairly reasonable. It's a necessary evil for a game without a sub, because like it or not, but ArenaNet do have bills and salaries to pay.

I really wish the leveling experience wasn't so boring though. There is a reason why this game gives you tomes to skip levels and birthday items that raise a character to level 50 instantly. I have one character that's not 80 yet and instead of playing her, I am collecting tomes on my main to push her to 80 with tomes. I also don't feel like playing my alts because of some of the annoyances this game has like bosses with way too many HP (making fights long and boring) and particularly the high level maps being aggro-heavy which I find a shame because it disallows me to just travel through them more leisurely and take in the scenery. In low level maps I can kill the mobs quite quickly and that makes it a lot less annoying to me, so that's really the experience I prefer.

But I don't get involved much in endgame because it's too grindy for my tastes, so I can understand some frustrations there. I just stay away from that. If I ever saw a legendary weapon I liked (and so far I'm underwhelmed luckily), I think I'd rather buy it than do it myself. Simply because the path to get there is too long for me to even consider it. To me it's the balance of effort versus benefit and I think that that is the general issue I have with GW2 actually. The effort is always higher than the benefit it seems. And with effort I don't necessarily mean challenge (although that sometimes is the case as well) but mostly the length of the process.

Part of it is my own doing though. I'm not big on guilds and mostly solo. That makes this game a lot harder but I don't play this game often or long enough to build up relationships and that is at least in part my own choice. I will say though that the game being more boring and annoying than it needs to be, is the biggest reason why I never play for more than a couple of months when I do play.

As someone here said, GW2 just fell short of GW1 for me as well, but beyond that when I judge GW2 on its own merits, these are the main grievances I have. Too much aggro, too many lengthy and tricky processes. PoF is definitely a step up as far as processes (masteries for example are much more accessible than in HoT), but I just tire of the constant running away from aggroed mobs or fighting them which takes longer than it should. That's just my view of course but that's why this game is less enjoyable to me, in spite of the positives that are also there.

@Gehenna.3625 said:Partially, but that's why I think GW2 will never be a main game for me. I like it from time to time but there are a number of annoyances that I listed in other threads. I do get that they need to sell skins via the Gem store but I think by comparison the Gem store is fairly reasonable. It's a necessary evil for a game without a sub, because like it or not, but ArenaNet do have bills and salaries to pay.

I really wish the leveling experience wasn't so boring though. There is a reason why this game gives you tomes to skip levels and birthday items that raise a character to level 50 instantly. I have one character that's not 80 yet and instead of playing her, I am collecting tomes on my main to push her to 80 with tomes. I also don't feel like playing my alts because of some of the annoyances this game has like bosses with way too many HP (making fights long and boring) and particularly the high level maps being aggro-heavy which I find a shame because it disallows me to just travel through them more leisurely and take in the scenery. In low level maps I can kill the mobs quite quickly and that makes it a lot less annoying to me, so that's really the experience I prefer.

But I don't get involved much in endgame because it's too grindy for my tastes, so I can understand some frustrations there. I just stay away from that. If I ever saw a legendary weapon I liked (and so far I'm underwhelmed luckily), I think I'd rather buy it than do it myself. Simply because the path to get there is too long for me to even consider it. To me it's the balance of effort versus benefit and I think that that is the general issue I have with GW2 actually. The effort is always higher than the benefit it seems. And with effort I don't necessarily mean challenge (although that sometimes is the case as well) but mostly the length of the process.

Part of it is my own doing though. I'm not big on guilds and mostly solo. That makes this game a lot harder but I don't play this game often or long enough to build up relationships and that is at least in part my own choice. I will say though that the game being more boring and annoying than it needs to be, is the biggest reason why I never play for more than a couple of months when I do play.

As someone here said, GW2 just fell short of GW1 for me as well, but beyond that when I judge GW2 on its own merits, these are the main grievances I have. Too much aggro, too many lengthy and tricky processes. PoF is definitely a step up as far as processes (masteries for example are much more accessible than in HoT), but I just tire of the constant running away from aggroed mobs or fighting them which takes longer than it should. That's just my view of course but that's why this game is less enjoyable to me, in spite of the positives that are also there.

I agree with you but other games do not really have masteries, I think the best leveling systems of any mmorpgs where everquest 1 and 2, you had awesome leveling experiences and the alternate advancement systems that let you get new abilities for your class and special passives and bonuses, I can maybe see gw2 doing this if they become more endgame focused, maybe they will become more of a pve focused game and I think that is perhaps for the best. To be honest pvp gets boring quickly with no real risk reward anyways we are getting ready to see some more unique pvp mmos coming out in the future. Anyways getting elites and masteries is pretty decent in my opinion, I can overlook the negative as gw2 offers so many more positives.

@"Ephemiel.5694" said:The FIRST thing i saw when i checked the stream was a character actually DUAL WIELDING, using both weapons to attack rather than the current "dual wielding" mechanic only for Thieves that merely changes their 3rd skill. This made me want to search on info on GW1 and........i just can't believe how many things i feel GW1 did right and GW2, for whatever reason, changed or removed.

It's true that GW1 had dual wielding, but (a) only daggers could be dual wielded and (b) daggers had to be dual wielded - you couldn't wield just one. The dual wielding was very well implemented, though, with dagger skills being completely designed around it, with main hand/off hand/dual attacks.

That said, I do agree that GW1 did a lot of things better, and while I understand why some of them were removed (e.g. Signet of Capture - that just wouldn't work with the open world format), others I have no idea.

The find the whole premise to be a loaded question by the nature of modern players. Summed up, "nothing is good enough". And anything that is won't be good enough for long. We demand change, and lament it happening. This is too hard, this is too easy. Something goes too far, something doesn't go too far enough. Games which are considered "best game ever" at launch, only die out within 3 months. People want the benefits of emergent game play, but hate the fact other players can have any control over the environment. We've even gotten to the point where a lot of players want a game with an MMO format, except for all the "Multiplayer" aspects of it.

To condense what I think the OP's source material is trying to say (which is essentially a "loot boxes suck" article), people don't like being unhappy. And when people don't get what they think they wanted, they are unhappy. But where its screwing up is using numbers to explain a high failure rate as the root of the problem, when consumer psychology of it shows the mere illusion of a possible success is enough to disregard the fact that a probable success is unlikely. Even when we know the odds are terrible, we'll still try anyway if theres something we want that is marginally more valuable then the cost of entry. People are unhappy, because they tried to beat the odds, and didn't. But when we see someone else succeeds, it fuels the delusion we can get similar results if we just keep trying.

OP is mad becaue he gets a lot of trash loot. But if you sat down and did the math, statistically thats what you'll be seeing the most. Even if the real odds are hidden, its possible to estimate those odds given enough samples (which is what most game communities will do, in their efforts to influence the odds). So really what hes saying is "People didn't know the odds, and thats the hosting party's fault"; but I'd argue its people assuming certainty in the face of "uncertain uncertainty". (insert Jin Rummy Unknown Unknown's rant)

I guess I don't understand posts like this. If you aren't enjoying playing the game, then why are you here? There are a great many games out there to choose from, so perhaps one better satisfies you? I've taken some long breaks when I've gotten burned out, and still take short breaks to play Civ 6 or something else when the mood strikes me.

For me, the loot is fine. There is that "anticipation" that something shiny may drop, and gold/mats/achievements earned if not so that you can get one another way.

I am not satisfied, that's why I no longer play the game and just check in on the forums now and then. I love the combat and polished feel of the game but as a pvp person I hate how dull and lackluster the pvp scene is. I'm tempted to go try Guild Wars 1 as I hear the pvp was better done in that game.

@Ryou.2398 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:Partially, but that's why I think GW2 will never be a main game for me. I like it from time to time but there are a number of annoyances that I listed in other threads. I do get that they need to sell skins via the Gem store but I think by comparison the Gem store is fairly reasonable. It's a necessary evil for a game without a sub, because like it or not, but ArenaNet do have bills and salaries to pay.

I agree with you but other games do not really have masteries, I think the best leveling systems of any mmorpgs where everquest 1 and 2, you had awesome leveling experiences and the alternate advancement systems that let you get new abilities for your class and special passives and bonuses, I can maybe see gw2 doing this if they become more endgame focused, maybe they will become more of a pve focused game and I think that is perhaps for the best. To be honest pvp gets boring quickly with no real risk reward anyways we are getting ready to see some more unique pvp mmos coming out in the future. Anyways getting elites and masteries is pretty decent in my opinion, I can overlook the negative as gw2 offers so many more positives.

Yeah, the masteries at least in PoF are quite fun to do. I still don't have nearly enough mastery points in HoT because I really don't want to do the things it takes to get those and some of the masteries require like 8 or 10 points so it's definitely out of my reach. GW2 does have a fair number of positives and I am more positive about the game today than ever before. I just wish that a lot of things weren't such a drag to do. If some of these things were quicker and less annoying I'd enjoy the game a lot more.

Archived