9th Birthday Disappointment [Merged]

33 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

I think it would be okay if the dye wasn't once-per-account, that's what ruins it for me.

Yea. That's basically my position. Like, why remove my multi-dye unlocks as well as limiting the pack to just this year's new ones?  Is there some kinda pixel scarcity goin on over there? Feels like an oversight, hopefully to be corrected. Very much not the style of Anet up to this point. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

I am VERY disappointed in the dye being one per account. I keep lists of all the birthday dyes and mark the ones I am looking forward to getting, and every character that has a birthday roll around gets a dye!

This is a big let-down that I can only unlock one! Surely this is a coding mistake. All the characters that have reached their ninth birthday should get the birthday chest.

I am sad. Sad quaggan is sad.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Rogue.8235 said:

You are consistently making assertions.  What you claim to be factually true is an assertion yet to be proven.  Again, these are personal opinions disguised as empirical truth. 

I never asserted that anything has more quality than anything else.  I'm stating that these things are not comparable and identifying your assertions

No amount of flavour text you write is going to change the fact that people who genuinely see this as lower quality and the majority of them are disappointed by it. 

You can write "assertion" as many times as you want as well, but believe it or not I never actually asserted anything, ANet made those expectations of better content as anniversary/age progresses, not me. That was their design between 1st to 8th Anniversary. I didn't force that fact in any way, shape or form, that's what's been happening on a default basis and it's been around since the first game. As I said before at most, you would be doing as much assertion as possible since you're attempting as much as possible to force what you believe towards others, myself included. And you even asserted that my statement was an assertion despite it being a simple observation of what ANet as done throughout the years that I have never once influenced or forced on others. 

But hey, I'm not about to lose sleep over it. I'll leave you to your devices, if you see quality in it, that's on you, but people here have voiced their opinions, as well as those that I've spoken to in the EU server.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Question for those with the Feast of Delectable Birthday Cake:

Unlike the Birthday Blaster the wiki says that the feast is Account Bound, but there are numerous posts saying it can't be used on alts (which imo is the most likely place to find value in it). What prevents the new feast from being used on lower level characters/alts? Can it only be used by characters that are 9+ years old? Can it only be used by Lv80s?

Even if the Feast is not a particularly good 'unique' gift I'd keep an account bound Birthday Blaster around just for its occasional use when leveling alts. Meanwhile I dispose of my actual Birthday Blasters because I value an inventory slot on each character more than I do the blaster.

IMO this is just the next red flag that Anet has shown.  They have completely lost touch with what makes MMOs awesome and what keeps players coming back.

I'm guessing they wanted to subvert our expectations.....  thanks Anet.  I really want to spend more money on gems now

Edited by wickedkae.4980
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

No amount of flavour text you write is going to change the fact that people who genuinely see this as lower quality and the majority of them are disappointed by it. 

The majority of people are disappointed?  You seem to be thinking that you are stating a fact.  This is not a fact.  

You can write "assertion" as many times as you want as well, but believe it or not I never actually asserted anything, ANet made those expectations of better content as anniversary/age progresses, not me. 

Okay I get the problem here.  You don't know what assertion means.  That is the only way to explain how you claim that you never asserted anything IMMEDIATELY followed by an assertion.

So, an assertion is a confident and authoritative statement of fact.  What I am pointing out is that the things you are stating as fact are not facts.  These are your own personal opinions, not objectively true statements.

Right, so an objective statement is a statement absent of any personal bias, personal opinion, or any emotion.  It is the basis upon which one can derive factual truths.

Again, I am pointing out how the "facts" you state are merely your own, personal, subjective opinions.  They are not reflective of the player base at large.

That was their design between 1st to 8th Anniversary. I didn't force that fact in any way, shape or form, that's what's been happening on a default basis and it's been around since the first game.

You state you didn't "force" any facts, to which I believe you mean assert.  You then assert an opinion as fact in the very next sentence.  It is not objectively true that they have created an expectation in general, only true that they created an expectation that you have.  Again, you can only speak for yourself, not anyone else.  How do you know everyone else has this same exact, specific opinion as you?  

As I said before at most, you would be doing as much assertion as possible since you're attempting as much as possible to force what you believe towards others, myself included. And you even asserted that my statement was an assertion despite it being a simple observation of what ANet as done throughout the years that I have never once influenced or forced on others. 

Okay, so I am stating that you are authoritatively stating a fact.  If I am wrong in my assertion, then you admit that you are, indeed, not stating facts.  In which case, you agree with me that nothing you say has any objective truth because they are not facts.  This is what I've been calling you out on this whole time.  You keep thinking you are stating facts when it's an opinion.  And everytime I quote you it's about what ArenaNet "did" or what "the majority" of players expect.  I don't know how many different ways I can tell you that these are not true, or at the very least you provide zero evidence proving they are true.

But hey, I'm not about to lose sleep over it. I'll leave you to your devices, if you see quality in it, that's on you, but people here have voiced their opinions, as well as those that I've spoken to in the EU server.

I think I'm an owl.  Some people, an extremely small percentage of the entire player base, has voiced their opinions in this thread.  The number of people you spoke to is a tiny percentage of the entire player base.  You cannot, in any way, claim to know what the majority of the player base thinks.  You cannot state that ArenaNet built up expectations within the player base.  You can only state that you and those who reported the same thing to you are disappointed with unmet expectations.  No one else.

Further, there is a systemic problem in these forums where people seem to think that opinions are factual evidence or facts in themselves.   Facts are objective, of which opinions are not, by definition.

Anyways, in short, you twice stated you made no assertions immediately followed by an assertion.  

Ann assertion is a statement of fact made with authority.  I'm calling your statements assertions because you seem to think that they are evidenced-based statements of fact to which there is no evidence.  

Also of note, I really dislike the new dyes.  too bright.

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Rogue.8235 said:

-Snip-

Dude, I'm not about to go into a textwall of nonsense at this point just because you can't accept that people genuinely dislike the 9th anniversary gift. And you really need to learn to use the word "assertion" right, because it seems like you have no understanding of it at this point and just using it as an ad hominem... Ima leave it as it is and just ignoring you next time. 

Edited by ChronoPinoyX.7923
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Glacial.9516 said:

Question for those with the Feast of Delectable Birthday Cake:

Unlike the Birthday Blaster the wiki says that the feast is Account Bound, but there are numerous posts saying it can't be used on alts (which imo is the most likely place to find value in it). What prevents the new feast from being used on lower level characters/alts? Can it only be used by characters that are 9+ years old? Can it only be used by Lv80s?

Even if the Feast is not a particularly good 'unique' gift I'd keep an account bound Birthday Blaster around just for its occasional use when leveling alts. Meanwhile I dispose of my actual Birthday Blasters because I value an inventory slot on each character more than I do the blaster.

It is an account bound feast but requires level 80 to use.  Good for wandering without wasting other foods but not good for leveling.

• Thanks 1

I'm not typically the type to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I would like to mention that our NINTH birthday gift is WORSE than an item that you can buy for 2 silver.  

At minimum the droppable food should be ascended quality and last for 1 hour once consumed (it only lasts 30 mins) and grant 50 or 60 all-stats. Yes, I know that the crafted food only gives 45 all stats, but for something that is supposed to be a reward for playing so long, I don't think giving it a little extra oompf is asking too much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Personally? I like the cake, I often run around without a food buff so a good food buff that is almost permanent will be quite useful to me. Could have been something else cooler but otherwise I think its cool. 

It's the same buff from the Birthday Blaster that we got from the second birthday gift. We already had an unlimited amount of this buff.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

The food item: could have slightly higher stats, but is okay when the bug is fixed.
The Karma: nice, but we need more things to spend Karma on. It's junk currency for most of us who have been playing so long?
The dye: bad. Nice colours, but once-per-account is not very nice.

Alternate suggestions: give us a EOD unlock. A nicer fishing rod or something? As it is the rewards are fairly disappointing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Gifts before were kinda meh, especially last year.  This year has something actually useful rather than an ascended amulet I don't need and some sort of obnoxious infusion I'll never use.

FYI: I liked the last year's gift a lot more. Especially the enrichment since I love the effect.

• Like 5

Well, I won 1K in sandstorm flush hand yesterday so that'll do nicely for my anniversary 🙂

But seriously though, it's a birthday gift, in a game, the fact that Anet even does this in their game is pretty remarkable, but to go around and expect something substantial and complain about a free gift, well I'm calling these threads rude and entitled...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

The majority of people are disappointed?  You seem to be thinking that you are stating a fact.  This is not a fact.  

Okay I get the problem here.  You don't know what assertion means.  That is the only way to explain how you claim that you never asserted anything IMMEDIATELY followed by an assertion.

So, an assertion is a confident and authoritative statement of fact.  What I am pointing out is that the things you are stating as fact are not facts.  These are your own personal opinions, not objectively true statements.

Right, so an objective statement is a statement absent of any personal bias, personal opinion, or any emotion.  It is the basis upon which one can derive factual truths.

Again, I am pointing out how the "facts" you state are merely your own, personal, subjective opinions.  They are not reflective of the player base at large.

You state you didn't "force" any facts, to which I believe you mean assert.  You then assert an opinion as fact in the very next sentence.  It is not objectively true that they have created an expectation in general, only true that they created an expectation that you have.  Again, you can only speak for yourself, not anyone else.  How do you know everyone else has this same exact, specific opinion as you?  

Okay, so I am stating that you are authoritatively stating a fact.  If I am wrong in my assertion, then you admit that you are, indeed, not stating facts.  In which case, you agree with me that nothing you say has any objective truth because they are not facts.  This is what I've been calling you out on this whole time.  You keep thinking you are stating facts when it's an opinion.  And everytime I quote you it's about what ArenaNet "did" or what "the majority" of players expect.  I don't know how many different ways I can tell you that these are not true, or at the very least you provide zero evidence proving they are true.

I think I'm an owl.  Some people, an extremely small percentage of the entire player base, has voiced their opinions in this thread.  The number of people you spoke to is a tiny percentage of the entire player base.  You cannot, in any way, claim to know what the majority of the player base thinks.  You cannot state that ArenaNet built up expectations within the player base.  You can only state that you and those who reported the same thing to you are disappointed with unmet expectations.  No one else.

Further, there is a systemic problem in these forums where people seem to think that opinions are factual evidence or facts in themselves.   Facts are objective, of which opinions are not, by definition.

Anyways, in short, you twice stated you made no assertions immediately followed by an assertion.  

Ann assertion is a statement of fact made with authority.  I'm calling your statements assertions because you seem to think that they are evidenced-based statements of fact to which there is no evidence.  

Also of note, I really dislike the new dyes.  too bright.

Jfc.

One of the educationalists has arrived. It never takes long.

Why do people show up in these threads to remind people that what they're presenting are opinions.

This is a gaming forum, on the Internet, the very fabric of its existence is opinion. And most of it is wrong, of course.

Except, in this case, I think the majority of people posting on this thread agree with OP. So, one might say that the assertion, that most people agree with the OP, has a certain ring of empirical truth to it.

I'll wait with baited breath for the next lecture concerning legitimate sample sizes, statistical significance and robust methodology.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Rvannith.8364 said:

The food item: could have slightly higher stats, but is okay when the bug is fixed.
The Karma: nice, but we need more things to spend Karma on. It's junk currency for most of us who have been playing so long?
The dye: bad. Nice colours, but once-per-account is not very nice.

Alternate suggestions: give us a EOD unlock. A nicer fishing rod or something? As it is the rewards are fairly disappointing.

Not that i disagree that the gift is..dissapointing, i dont even have mine yet(deleted my early start character so i get to wait 90 days.), but hey not looking forward to it now either.

Been playing since launch and i need Karma. If i could take yours i so would! i need at least 3-5 million(probably more like 6) of it to finish getting all the stuff i dont have unlocked and thats before i look into getting the obi shards for my next legendary(which i also dont have).

11 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

First point, this thread is not necessarily reflective of the player community in aggregate.  In addition, most opinions here are repeats without substantive addition to the originally presented subjective ideas on the first half of the first page.  Next, forums are a vocal minority as evidenced by the less than 1% of people that actually had more legendaries than the armory can handle.  Further, the opinions on this thread are not factual, they are the opinions of the countable number of posters in this thread who can only speak for themselves.

I'm voicing a counter-opinion because I personally disagree and I don't want anyone thinking this is  unanymous, or even majority, opinion.  It is a majority in this thread only.

/disclaimer

The problem is that a sizable portion of the player base would have found this useless.  You're arguing for what is good for you, not everyone.  I have a lot of alts and have no use for ascended gear, therefore not all players would find it useful. I personally vote for the absence of ascended gear in future birthdays.

The dyes are unique and unobtainable anywhere else, the birthday cake is an infinitely reusable feast which I cannot find an equivalent of anywhere.

The guaranteed unlocks aren't new to birthday gifts, thus point is conceded.

Disagree on being kicked in the face.  Further, I feel positive about the birthday cake feast (video games have never excited me, nor movies, tv shows, or any other form of leisurely entertainment).  

I'm glad we're not getting dyes that I can already get in the game.  I like the luminious weapon skins and the guaranteed unlocks are just bonuses for me.  It helped me with weapon collections I planned on starting, so that was useful.  I don't think they dropped the ball.

Contrarily, this is the first birthday gift that actually had something functional and useful.  The others just take up inventory space or fill out the wardrobe just to fill it up.  It's refreshing to get something that can actually be used regularly.

Correction, only you feel this way as that is all you know for certain.  Don't speak for us veteran players, because we all don't share the exact same opinions, nor do we all share your specific opinions.

Don't try to pass off your opinion as a majority for the sake of hyperbolic presentation.

Counterpoint:

Keeping a character for a game you already bought has no additional cost.

The dyes given this year are unobtainable anywhere else, which leads to...

Giving the same dye kit gifts over and over again will ultimately be useless.  Players will, at some point, already have the dyes unlocked and will receive an account-bound dye they cannot use.  What you're suggesting is not sustainableSee Queen Jenna Mini; see also experience scrolls not being used by veteran players without an available character slot.

The 9th birthday gift has quality stuff in it.  Most importantly, it has something functional that I can actually use regularly.  There isn't a lesson ArenaNet needs to learn.

I left the first half of the post  alone as that was a purely emotional statement.  

Not all players who were looking forward to the birthday gift is disappointed.  Don't pass off a personal opinion as a generalized opinion shared by the community as that would be unnecessarily hyperbolic.  You don't know everyone's opinions so you can't speak to that.

Gifts before were kinda meh, especially last year.  This year has something actually useful rather than an ascended amulet I don't need and some sort of obnoxious infusion I'll never use.

I feel we are celebrating it as well as prior years.  Every birthday gift is something some people like and some people don't.  Seems par for the course.

Just in case you didn't know, karmic enrichments can be obtained for 10 laurels.  However, the only other method is Koda's Warmth, which seems very grindy.  If you already knew that... well all I have to say is that I approve of the wholesale slaughter of WvW players!

unless it's me.  don't kill me.  pretend i'm not there.  even when i'm stabbing you in the face.

What expectation?  All prior birthday gifts had unsustainable content.  Example is the dye packs, eventually you'll have them all and then what?

I don't think they missed the target.  I got birthday stuff on my character's birthday, including something actually useful to me.

These are.... oddly specific.

Anyways, it doesn't seem that way to me.  I got birthday stuff on my character's birthday.  It didn't feel like it lacked thought to me.

They couldn't keep doing this.  It's not a sustainable model that can last in perpetuity.

You're getting married and buying a house, and you think playing the game is a commitment? If you think the 9th year birthday gift is a let down, wait until you deal with tax liens, mortgages and fluctuating valuations,  property insurance games, marriage in general, etc. etc. etc.

Good luck to you.

Now if you don't actually prioritize life in this manner, then I'm calling you out on the hyperbolic statement.

What unspoken agreement?  The birthday cake is useful, And the dye selection isn't a universal disappointment.  You can only say it's a disappointment to you.  

It was birthday themed stuff for my character's birthday, with not useless stuff.  Prior birthday gifts did have useless things, as in I had no use for them at all.  This does have proper forethought.

Prior birthday gifts were unsustainable, as in they could not continue on that trend in perpetuity.  

What you seem to be alluding to is just more of the same instead of something new.

Okay That's it for now.  Too much to cover in this thread and not enough time.

Overall, lots of people trying to give the impression that their personal opinion is somehowthe majority opinion, which they can't know.  Lots of hyperbole in an attempt to lend emphasis, and in some cases credence, to the opinions. 

To the Confused reactions:

I'm attempting to expose instances of hyperbole and fallacious assertions.  If you lack the literary skill to understand what I typed, PM me and I can help you understand critical thought.  

Otherwise, let me know what words you don't seem to be understanding.

Everyone loves a post dissection.... not.

For the record, I didn't bother reading your onslaught of quotes, as the message really does get lost when undertaking such a hefty number of viewpoints in one post.

They balls'd it up, and it needs fixing. That's the type of sentiment the thread was created with, and what the overwhelming majority of people here have come to echo. Now it's Anet's chance to deliver.

Sorry to wax metaphoric here, but do you really wanna go swimming against this tide?

Edited by Valandil Dragonhart.2371
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Not that i disagree that the gift is..dissapointing, i dont even have mine yet(deleted my early start character so i get to wait 90 days.), but hey not looking forward to it now either.

Been playing since launch and i need Karma. If i could take yours i so would! i need at least 3-5 million(probably more like 6) of it to finish getting all the stuff i dont have unlocked and thats before i look into getting the obi shards for my next legendary(which i also dont have).

Wintersday daily orphan runs will give you a ton of it. As long as you won't be spending it on presents.

• Like 1