9th Birthday Disappointment [Merged]

3 minutes ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

Why do any of you care? I could concievably make a character as extra storage. It'll eventually be 9 years old and i'll get the birthday rewards for having a naked bank character which i never use for anything else. Free stuff is free.

They been giving us veterans some pretty neat stuff, only to go down into a huge dissapointment with a title that was already awarded for those that have done a challenge mote Raid and only 1 color per year, more useless teleports to friends and a different implementation of the birthday blaster that no one used, but instead of it being a cake per character it is the primary account unlock instead of a cool armor, chair or something more original then something that already was done before on the second year.

Like i understand if you are not fussed about it, everyone can feel differently about it, and frankly that is entirely fine, but when it comes down to it, this birthday is just a remix of older content done slightly different, and that is a bit of a kick in the face, i wouldnt have minded if it was original new stuff that didnt excite me or others, but this isnt that...

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, DarkNighT.7319 said:

They been giving us veterans some pretty neat stuff, only to go down into a huge dissapointment with a title that was already awarded for those that have done a challenge mote Raid and only 1 color per year, more useless teleports to friends and a different implementation of the birthday blaster that no one used, but instead of it being a cake per character it is the primary account unlock instead of a cool armor, chair or something more original then something that already was done before on the second year.

Like i understand if you are not fussed about it, everyone can feel differently about it, and frankly that is entirely fine, but when it comes down to it, this birthday is just a remix of older content done slightly different, and that is a bit of a kick in the face, i wouldnt have minded if it was original new stuff that didnt excite me or others, but this isnt that...

I guess they're planning for the future, since giving nothing special is easier than giving something special. Cutting corners and all that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I personally think that the Cake is a better reward ( when fixed) then the 8y amulet + infusion. 

Who needs an asc. Amulet and a karma infusion after 8 years? 

But I agree with the rest. Pretty "meh" 

Anyone with a lot of alts, like myself. I very much appreciate the amulet.

They really should have had an ascended accessory, back, or weapon in the anniversary box.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm glad it won't be my 9th birthday yet, so I can at least look forward to my next one. This all sounds pretty disappointing. 

Replicated title also seems...well just bad...lazy even. Did they not look to see that the title already existed? I was hoping to see awesome screenshots of a new armor or weapon skin set or something.

Hopefully Anet will be like, "We regret to say that the 9th birthday package had a bug and birthday dyes for individual characters were forgotten and the account weapon/armor skin chest wasn't included. We're sorry for shocking everyone and ruining a bunch of people's birthdays. Also we fixed the buggy cake feast." lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Sovari.7246 said:

Yeah. Just opened mines very bare bones, was feeling spoiled by nice gifts by the previous years it almost feels like anet met someone new and I got the reject gift that was thrown together last night

That's the best description I've seen so far of what the gift seems like.

"Nine years is a long time, and I think we should start seeing new people..."  😆

Edited by Lyssia.4637
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I’ll definitely be using the cake for casual PvE play, although I wish my low level chars could activate it.  Another plus is it lasting 30 minutes and being able to share it with other people. So I’m happy with the cake. However it could have been improved by allowing us to add it to our novelty section instead of taking up an inventory slot. 

The dyes, or dye rather, was a big disappointment. I really look forward each year to unlocking new dyes on all my birthday char’s.   

And the cake should apply if I accept it even if I have another food buff going. If I accept it it’s because I want it instead of what I have. 

No new armor skins, a repeated title and skimping on the dyes made the 9th birthday feel like it was an afterthought. 

Edited by Just a flesh wound.3589
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I was so disappointed I went straight to forms to say something about this.... but it all already listed why don't we have a choice of dyes???? are they trying to keep the prices high so we cant afford them anymore and why don't we get our pick of last years dyes? I don't want this crappy choice of dye's,  I don't like any of them and we can only get 1 for the whole account for the whole year .... I just want to say W....T....F.... and a feast of delectable birthday cake again wtf.... 1 weapon skin unlock that looked like trash something I would never buy or get which turned out to be another disappointment.... You guys dropped the ball on this one this year and it's all bad.......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I was thinking of buying the 9th Anniversary Supply Drop even if it was a bit underwhelmed and I wasn't sure about the new mount tickets but after this lack luster one, I changed my mind. I just cannot, we seem many unique skins on the gemstore, but for ingame rewards, seniority it's just disappointing even the previous years stuff was a bit horrible, the chair had some horrible facial animation on certain face styles in some races, it was bad for me but I could ignore it, but this year is even worse.
I just don't get it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I thought about making a topic on this earlier, but I'm glad I held off, because it seems the voice is firmly in the negative on this 9th birthday idea.

I guarantee that if I'd have made this thread and spoke what I thought about it (largely what most people had to say on the first page), I'd be slammed as being an entitled little kitten or something.

Yes, we get that free stuff is free, but 9th birthday... your OLDEST veterans... it should have Quality stuff in there. And yes, this does indeed seem like a rather shortsighted afterthought than something which had care and attention given to it.

I just hope they can learn from this, and that whoever in Anet approved this birthday gift gets a right bollocking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Well maybe the 9th birthday is underwhelming because we'll get a free legendary for the 10th-"big number"-birthday next year  😉

27 minutes ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

woulda been nice too choose at LEAST a mount skin of choice with a voucher

Well that's really a good idea, 10 times better than dyes.

Edited by Raizel.1839
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Well, it's not *completely* free, one has to have kept a character around for nine years.

I'm not exactly disappointed.  But I'm far from excited.  I had hoped the Aurene dyes would be in this gift as I still have two of those to collect.  And if I hadn't read this thread, I too would have been expecting to unlock all the new dyes in short order as I happen to have 5 launch characters plus another made just a few months later.

I think the negative reactions and let down feelings aren't from being mad about the "free gift" being less than wanted, but from expectations based on a years-long pattern now broken.  This is the first time since dyes started showing up in birthdays that we haven't gotten unlocks of our choice of valuable rng drop dyes.  Sure there's a little bit of "last year I had 37" in that, but also some of Lucy yanking away the football.

• Like 4

The rewards for the birthdays were done a long time ago, I don't think EoD had any impact on it being lackluster this time around.

I just don't really know what they could add. They don't really want to add insane rewards to a glorified participation trophy and it's been a long time since they were added. Nobody playing this long needs an infusion, amulet or something of the sort. 10th year is the big one, if that doesn't have something insane in it it will be extremely disappointing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I notice a couple of posts saying don’t be disappointed by a gift or by free stuff

this is good advice for gifts given to you by friends and family. ANet is neither. It is a corporation giving something to its customers. If a corporation spends time and money giving something to its customers then it wants to know if the customers are happy with the gift. Otherwise they will continue and waste time and not reach the goals they wanted. 

Corporations need feedback from their customers, both positive and negative. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Free stuff is free. Yeah, I bought the game and expansions so techically it's not free.

Bit disappointed with the dye kit being achie reward. To choose only 1 from 6 possible when I want to have all the colors!
I also hope they fix the birthday blaster buff overriding the cake feast duration.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SeaMonsterGuy.5032 said:

After last years gift I was really hoping Anet had turned a new leaf and started caring about the player base again. I guess I was wrong. This really was a final straw for me, if EoD doesn't live up to its promises even a little bit, I don't think I can keep supporting this company.

I'm a little more hopeful since full development effort seems to have been directed at EoD. But given previous speculation regarding removal of Canthan district from DR at launch, NCSoft, and other things, I am worried something gets really messed up in Cantha's portrayal in GW2. In Factions it was very much a unique mixture of East Asian cultures and architecture.

But yeah, so far things have been extremely rocky post-Season 4. Build Templates, IBS, and now this. I don't know what's going on over there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

I notice a couple of posts saying don’t be disappointed by a gift or by free stuff

this is good advice for gifts given to you by friends and family. ANet is neither. It is a corporation giving something to its customers. If a corporation spends time and money giving something to its customers then it wants to know if the customers are happy with the gift. Otherwise they will continue and waste time and not reach the goals they wanted. 

Corporations need feedback from their customers, both positive and negative. 

And with that in mind, the gifts basically function as a loyalty rewards system.

As such, suddenly going from novelty chairs, full dye packs per characters, and armor skins to... a single dye per account that looks likely to be automated for the next six years really doesn't support their "the best is yet to come, this is not the last expansion, we are going to listen more to our players" message.  As it stands, the gift does rather scream the impression that the developers are bored and moving on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just like others have echoed, I think in combination with other things it's another on the list that's having older players lose confidence in the company. Gifts have always been a tradition in GW and GW1 gifts were automated after the game's dev cycle was ended. It's obviously not the case for GW2 with an expansion coming along but us older players don't really feel like investing money into a company/game that might not be around in a couple years. All signs seem to point at EoD being a Hail Mary with how IBS got axed. I dunno man, I probably would have been less salty if the cake had 9 candles. Sounds ridiculous but that lack of care/attention to detail alongside the title duplication shows a real lack of polish Anet used to be known for

Edited by Kalocin.5982
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Valandil Dragonhart.2371 said:

I thought about making a topic on this earlier, but I'm glad I held off, because it seems the voice is firmly in the negative on this 9th birthday idea.

I guarantee that if I'd have made this thread and spoke what I thought about it (largely what most people had to say on the first page), I'd be slammed as being an entitled little kitten or something.

Yes, we get that free stuff is free, but 9th birthday... your OLDEST veterans... it should have Quality stuff in there. And yes, this does indeed seem like a rather shortsighted afterthought than something which had care and attention given to it.

I just hope they can learn from this, and that whoever in Anet approved this birthday gift gets a right bollocking.

You are allowed to show your dissatisfaction, I hope we can all be civil and hopefully anet will do something, just like they did with the lunar new year festival rewards. But this was clearly a let down.

• Like 1