New Fishing and Skiff Video......

They just don't seem to understand the issue with this expansion thus far.....

I was thinking their fishing would be something unique and exciting, much like their mounts in PoF. If you told any other MMO community, "We are getting mounts this expansion" they would think that's absurd. The things you right click, get a 2 second cast bar, and double your movement speed. That's not an expansion feature. However, GW2 mounts were so much more than that.

I was thinking fishing would be the same, that there would be so much more.

But todays video....it literally looks like you right click, fish, and get a fish in your inventory......

And the skiffs just look like a new mount...basically a multi person skimmer.

They REALLY need to show something off for this expansion because thus far the only expansion worthy features are maps and specializations....just seems so much less than we got in HoT and WAY less than PoF.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

I was thinking their fishing would be something unique and exciting, much like their mounts in PoF. If you told any other MMO community, "We are getting mounts this expansion" they would think that's absurd. The things you right click, get a 2 second cast bar, and double your movement speed. That's not an expansion feature. However, GW2 mounts were so much more than that.

But todays video....it literally looks like you right click, fish, and get a fish in your inventory......

They REALLY need to show something off for this expansion because thus far the only expansion worthy features are maps and specializations....just seems so much less than we got in HoT and WAY less than PoF.

I would judge anything that was shown only like animations we dont know about the mechanics of either fishing and skiff and untill we get unedited gameplay we wont know how involved their take on it is.

That being said animation wise it looked ok, skiffs on the other hand looked way to floaty, so much for for tge polish mounts got in pof.

• Like 4

I'll gladly wait for more information, but that video showcased some pretty serious glitches and animation problems and implied that fishing is going to be a gathering node. People who want fishing in GW2 don't want a gathering node. They don't want to go AFK while their inventory fills up with salmon. If you're going to open this video talking about swinging a pickaxe at an iron node like it's any sort of engaging activity, then I already don't want this.

Fishing, as I see it, is meant to be a low-impact minigame with occasionally harder mechanics when a rare or crafty fish bites the line. It's supposed to be a relaxing activity that's rewarding in the same way going for a nice hike is. Maybe you take the easy trail and just admire nature, maybe you take the steep trail and engage in leg day - your choice. I wouldn't want to press [F] to hike and I don't want to press [F] to fish.

12 minutes ago, Luclinraider.2317 said:

It's fishing ...it's not exactly thrilling in any game.  Also it's still half a year away, it's just a teaser.  Unfortunately they can't make your mouse and keyboard mimic the authentic feeling of reeling in a trout or bass.  Perhaps if they had some mosquitoes...

The whole game has WoW vibes, it's really hard not to in the mmo genre.  Hopefully they will add some more effects to the skiff, etc.

• Like 1

Disappointed that the video showed absolutely nothing about the fishing mechanics. Assuming there are actual mechanics.

Although part of the disappointment is undoubtedly due to expectations set elsewhere. I just finished watching the Genshin Impact preview which did show off how fishing will work there. On the other hand that is for content getting released in a week while EoD is months away so it is not exactly a fair comparison.

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

It's fishing.  Fish-ing.  How much more exciting can it be? 

i think thats point? ANET has done amazing things at making mechanics their own, mounts for example, are imo done better here than any other game.

But if fishing is just fishing(especially the boring part of it.), and i really hope its way more than that, makes me wonder why its a "major" expansion feature.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dante.1763 said:

i think thats point? ANET has done amazing things at making mechanics their own, mounts for example, are imo done better here than any other game.

But if fishing is just fishing(especially the boring part of it.), and i really hope its way more than that, makes me wonder why its a "major" expansion feature.

because they have nothing else to offer

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Not a very good trailer. It doesn't show off if they did something unique with fishing beyond it being boring idle gameplay.

If it turns out that's all it really is then I don't consider it a new feature. It's just no different than clicking on rocks to gather, something we already have. 

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1

Well, one thing that I am looking forward to is all of the new chef recipes. There was a few seconds in the video where they said that chefs can use fish to make some "delicious seafood dishes". Okay, now I want wasabi and pickled ginger, and I want a wild king salmon sashimi dish with wasabi and pickled ginger 😛 

Edited by Embered.5089
  • Haha 1

After taking a break from WoW recently and seeing the incredible work they've done with mounts here (I believe this is the gold standard for mounts in MMO's IMO), my expectations are very high for Skiffs and professions like fishing. 

I expect a very deep system with fishing especially since it's being advertised as a core feature to the expansion. What do I mean by deep system? Well for starters I expect:

- Being able to craft specific bait to catch certain types of fish. The more rare the fish, the more rare and difficult it should be to craft the bait.

- Being able to craft specific poles which varies depending on the "water type" and/or fish type. Stronger fish should require a stronger pole. 

- Being able to play a minigame in 3 stages - casting / waiting / reeling.

- Casting's minigame should include a mechanic where I can control how far I can cast. Casting would  matter because it would help determine what type of fish I could successfully reel in. A short cast for example could yield me smaller fish but a longer cast could yield larger fish that would require more reel time.

- The waiting minigame would be the "play on the reel", so I could slowly reel my bait across the water to bait fish.

- The final minigame would be the "hooked a fish now reel" which should be both dependent on my mouse movement AND keys. My mouse should control the sway of the reel in 3 dimensions (side to side, up down) and my keys should control the "reeling it in" or "giving it some slack" by easing on the reel if I feel I'm going to loose the catch. 

There should also be a skill line associated with fishing (think FFXIV) where you can learn skills like mastery to better improve your chances to reel some very rare fish or even be successful at fishing. 

Bottom line, my expectation is that fishing is a very involved and fully fleshed system and nothing like WoW. 

Edited by Marikus.1875
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

To be honest there is stuff they could, will they? No, probably not. Just glad i had no hype for the expansion so i cant be overly disappointed

next to HOT and POF, it is still an extremely weak level especially when nothing else is announced, no new pvp mode, no new wvw map, no raid, no fractal ... I really have a bad feeling.

I had so much hype with HOT and pof, here there is really nothing for the moment. It's a bit hard to accept after months of DRM and boring content

Edited by radda.8920
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Unless they’re specifically holding back some features, this expansion will likely end up being no different than a living story season with elite specs. Something that we had to endure almost a year of content drought and about half of a year of DRMs in order to get. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As to how exciting fishing can be, I was solidly in the "it simply can't" camp until I tested New World's fishing in the recent beta.  I actually found myself looking forward to finding some water to fish in there.  It was a fairly simple mechanic but did require player involvement.  I'm fuzzy on the details now (silly aging brain) but basically you had to balance a filling bar by pressing and letting up on the left mouse button or the fish would get away as you reeled it in.  It wasn't hugely twitch reflex (I tried BDO's active fishing version and never managed to land a single fish in my free trial, but I was instantly doing well in New World) but it was engaging and fun.

If EoD's fishing is just click node and stare at screen waiting for bobber to ping  at a random moment so I can do a single fast left click, thus forcing my eyes and right hand to be dedicated only to that and not to moving the camera or glancing at Discord or typing guild chat banter, I will find it very difficult to engage with it and certainly won't do it past the bare minimum for achieves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

It's fishing.  Fish-ing.  How much more exciting can it be? 

its what i was saying for long time, "passive gameplay" dont have much appeal.

but i still think that feature can be great because of exploration of open world water zones,  so can be more than just "swiming", and ca be more that just "sit and fish".

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

its what i was saying for long time, "passive gameplay" dont have much appeal.

but i still think that feature can be great because of exploration of open world water zones,  so can be more than just "swiming", and ca be more that just "sit and fish".

If they do it...From what they showed it was all on a boat or on land. No noodling, spear fishing, bow fishing etc.

Edited by Dante.1763