Why doesn't GW2 have the option of 1x1 duels??

(English is not my first lenguage. Sorry some mystake)

Hi. There are few things that GW2 lacks for this to be the most perfect game I've ever played.

Beautiful, the best armor skins, the most fun and varied classes and the main thing: the best PVP of an MMOPRG on the internet.
I just love PVP in GW2 but there's one thing I miss a lot: 1x1 casual duels.

Why after so many years we still don't have this simple addition? I look at all those toons standing in Lion's Arch (bored) and wonder if it would be like this if we had the duel button.
Thoughts?

Edited by hatozeni.5721
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

• hatozeni.5721 changed the title to Why doesn't GW2 have the option of 1x1 duels??

They added in probably the best middle ground we will get: Guild Hall Arenas.

An argument could maybe be made to have each city with a closed off arena, but outside of that, No thanks to duels, its one of the few features i dont ever want to see added. Especially open world duels. Had my fill of toxic people in other games with that feature.

Edited by Dante.1763
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dante.1763 said:

An argument could maybe be made to have each city with a closed off arena, but outside of that, No thanks to duels, its one of the few features i dont ever want to see added. Had my fill of toxic people in other games with that feature.

a) Toxic people can be toxic without it. It isn't the feature that makes people toxic, no worries about that.

b) A duel requires consent. So you can't be forced into it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Aplethoraof.2643 said:

a) Toxic people can be toxic without it. It isn't the feature that makes people toxic, no worries about that.

b) A duel requires consent. So you can't be forced into it.

A.) Arguments have been had for years. Those against will never change their minds, those for wont either. Want to dual? go to the guild hall or PVP/WVW. Places where PVP is meant to be done, not in the open world, not in cities.

B.) I dont even want to get an invite for a dual. I dont want to see anyone ask me, in any chat, and i certainly dont want get a single whisper about dualing.

C.) Anet cant even make the block function work properly, i doubt they could this.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Aplethoraof.2643 said:

That'd be fun. There is nothing really at stake, so no need to worry about it being balanced in PvE terms. Similar to how Guild Halls have a PvP arena that is balanced in PvE (which honestly makes it a bit more fun :'D).

It would be cries of nerf or buffs since most of the classes aint balanced for 1v1 fights.

Since they hardly can balance it as it is why throw in more wrenches in the works?

Edit.

Add to that pve and pvp dont use the same balance.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dante.1763 said:

An argument could maybe be made to have each city with a closed off arena, but outside of that, No thanks to duels, its one of the few features i dont ever want to see added. Especially open world duels. Had my fill of toxic people in other games with that feature.

I don't see problems. Many games the 1x1 is like this:
1 - Click on the player you want to duel.
2 - Click on the DUEL option.
3 - The player invited to the duel will receive a notification
that you want to have a PVP duel against him.
4 - The invited player would have the option to accept, decline and in the options tab he can choose "Never receive a duel invitation" (if he hates it).
That simple.
Notes: You don't die if you miss the duel. When your health comes to an end only a winner screen appears, the duel is interrupted and your health goes to the maximum.
This already exists in many MMOs. I don't understand why GW2 doesn't have it yet.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

It would be cries of nerf or buffs since most of the classes aint balanced for 1v1 fights.

Since they hardly can balance it as it is why throw in more wrenches in the works?

Edit.

Add to that pve and pvp dont use the same balance.

And this is the other big reason for it to never happen, And it WOULD happen.

Edited by Dante.1763
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, hatozeni.5721 said:

4 - The invited player would have the option to accept, decline and in the options tab he can choose "Never receive a duel invitation" (if he hates it).
That simple.
Notes: You don't die if you miss the duel. When your health comes to an end only a winner screen appears, the duel is interrupted and your health goes to the maximum.
This already exists in many MMOs. I don't understand why GW2 doesn't have it yet.

Players by and large in this game who play PVE, do not want ANY Pvp in it. The few times anet has even tried to add it into the game, its backfired, drastically.

The bandits out in Silverwastes used to be a spot where players could fight each other(One player had to pay the bandits.), It now is no longer that way. So much salt over this, it got patched out in less than a week if i remember correctly.

Drakkar has an event on fail where players fight each other, there was an outcry about that on the forums too. Is this one still in? yes, but it happens so rarely that it may as well not exist, and players still kitten about it in game.

I think theres another one that also got removed, thank god.

Further, see the above point about balance, PVP And PVE use nowhere near the same skill, and anet struggles to balance the game as is. Players would start crying about loosing duals in PVE adding more issues with balance.

Even further, i dont even want to get a whisper about duals, your system cannot ever prevent that, so i dont want it.

Edited by Dante.1763
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

8 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

Players by and large in this game who play PVE, do not want ANY Pvp in it. The few times anet has even tried to add it into the game, its backfired, drastically.

The bandits out in Silverwastes used to be a spot where players could fight each other(One player had to pay the bandits.), It now is no longer that way. So much salt over this, it got patched out in less than a week if i remember correctly.

Drakkar has an event on fail where players fight each other, there was an outcry about that on the forums too. Is this one still in? yes, but it happens so rarely that it may as well not exist, and players still kitten about it in game.

I think theres another one that also got removed, thank god.

Further, see the above point about balance, PVP And PVE use nowhere near the same skill, and anet struggles to balance the game as is. Players would start crying about loosing duals in PVE adding more issues with balance.

Even further, i dont even want to get a whisper about duals, your system cannot ever prevent that, so i dont want it.

Yesterday I was in Lion's Arch and suddenly a giant woman appeared beside my toon. At least 2 times my height and my character is a Sylvari considered tall. It really bothers me but I can't forbid people from customizing their character as they wish.
The same goes for the 1x1 Duel option.
You would not be obliged to duel with anyone and for you not to be receiving duel invitation all the time, just click on the option "Never receive duel invitation".
Since there would be the possibility that you do not need to duel with anyone how would that harm your game?

Edited by hatozeni.5721
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, hatozeni.5721 said:

(English is not my first lenguage. Sorry some mystake)

Hi. There are few things that GW2 lacks for this to be the most perfect game I've ever played.

Beautiful, the best armor skins, the most fun and varied classes and the main thing: the best PVP of an MMOPRG on the internet.
I just love PVP in GW2 but there's one thing I miss a lot: 1x1 casual duels.

Why after so many years we still don't have this simple addition? I look at all those toons standing in Lion's Arch (bored) and wonder if it would be like this if we had the duel button.
Thoughts?

An open world duel regardless of anything would need to be balanced by the PvE ruleset.

If you love the PvP in GW as much as you say, you understand this would be a bad thing.

The facility to duel exists in sPvP hotjoins and in the Edge of the Mists.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

To answer your thread title, GW2 doesn't have open world 1v1 because it separates game modes. You have PvE, PvP/PvE (WvW), and straight PvP, each with their own maps, balance, and systems. These different modes cater to different styles of play, and attempts to mix them haven't ended well. There is no shortage of threads about the pros and cons of mixing modes here on these forums if you are curious as to why.

If you merely want 1v1 duels full-stop, there are multiple dedicated areas in the game where you can have them. Want them in the open world? Costume brawls.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, hatozeni.5721 said:

Yesterday I was in Lion's Arch and suddenly a giant woman appeared beside my toon. At least 2 times my height and my character is a Sylvari considered tall. It really bothers me but I can't forbid people from customizing their character as they wish.
You would not be obliged to duel with anyone and for you not to be receiving duel invitation all the time, just click on the option "Never receive duel invitation".
Since there would be the possibility that you do not need to duel with anyone how would that harm your game?

they customizing their charater anyway they like dont take resources to implement that could go to something else.

Adding dueling to open world with all the programing and balancing do take resources that could be used for things more people would want.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The problem is, the minority of duelists who would be toxic about their desire to duel someone make it so that those who wouldn't be toxic about it get to miss out.

I don't want to get mails from people who won't take my setting of do not send me invites seriously and send me a mail in game or a whisper. Either asking me to turn it on or asking me why I'm ignoring their duel invite (depending on how the system is set up).

I wouldn't have a problem if ANet set up a specific map in PvE or utilized specific appropriate areas on PvE maps (there are some areas in PvE maps that look perfect for duel arenas) for players to go to if they want to duel and were serious about actually punishing players in meaningful ways if they harassed players who did not want to duel.

They would need to put in features to keep level 80's from fighting low level players - keep duels to between relatively equal levels. Players wanting to duel players of vastly different levels can go into PvP where everyone's on an even playing field.

However, since the work that it would take to implement dueling in an actually meaningful way to where it would make sense to add it and not just point people to the places where dueling can already happen would likely be prohibitive to the amount of money that ANet would be able to state came from adding duels. And as such, I feel ANet should use its funds towards things that would be more cost effective.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, hatozeni.5721 said:

That simple.

People know how it would work but ,by and very large, do not want it in open world. 

"Why are people giving me short answers or not responding well to my idea or wanting to talk about it". Because its been spoken about, at length, many times. To the point that pretty much nothing new can be said about it. 

Edited by Sigmoid.7082
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I don't think this is a hard "no", but I do wonder if there's a better way for those that want to duel to get what they want out of it. Maybe a special PvP arena? Yeah they have the guild hall thing but there's a lot of friction with that - you need to get there somehow (which means knowing some PvP guild, and joining or getting invited to their hall, etc).

Having a kind of "fight club" zone that allows spectators might actually be fun to watch even if you're not really good at PvP yourself. Though for all I know it might already exist - I've seen GvG streams in a map that kind of looked like this.

• Confused 1

Too add to what's been said already, one of the foundation design beliefs in GW2 is that you should be happy to see other players. Over the years and in practice this really depends on what you're doing but it's still clearly one of the main ideas of the game. If you want to fight other players, go to PvP or WvW or a guild hall but there's a very clear line between those and open world PvE.

If duels are allowed, suddenly that person heading straight toward you starts pinging alarm bells or a whisper from a stranger puts you on edge because it could be a request to duel or questioning why you auto-declined all duel requests.

There's also the risk of discouraging new players who may accept duels only to get roundly trounced and MMOs such as GW2 relies on player retention to survive.

I can understand the appeal of duels but currently there exists multiple ways to duel others but there would be a lot of work in implementing a dueling system, and that's assuming the engine can even handle it, something that's murky with GW2 with devs saying the PvE side of the engine does not allow for specific duels. (The jist is that there's no individual flags so a player can only be friendly to all other players or hostile to all other players, no picking and choosing, which would defeat the purpose of 1v1 duels)

• Like 9
  • Confused 3

Apparently it’s not easy to add to the game because of the separation of PvE from PvP as designed by the game at launch. 

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" (ANet Staff) said:

I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc. 

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Simply put, the game wasn't designed for it. All the pvp content in this game is designed around teams, and pretty much all the balance of like, everything, isn't designed around solo play.  Just because you can fight another player in a duel doesn't mean it's an actual game mode. As a result, it's an extremely low priority and there doesn't seem to be much of a desire in the pve crowd to really fight each other at all.

Not to mention it's already possible via EOTM, guild hall, or mists arenas.

What they really need to do is probably retool both EOTM and OS to contain multiple dedicated arenas instead of the huge wastes of space they are atm, not to mention instancing issues.

I guess they could introduce an area that attatches to like Lion's Arch like the Aerodome works now, so those people that want duels can go there, and leave the rest of us out of it.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2

omg... not this again.

We are back to the weekly pvp duel in pve request again.

I have psychic powers and predict 99% of the answers: Get outta here you freaking "insert offensive word"

Just to answer like every week.

Keep your dang pvp in your dedicated pvp areas and leave the good pve people alone !!!!

It's really not that difficult

Edited by Kurrilino.2706
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, hatozeni.5721 said:

It really bothers me but I can't forbid people from customizing their character as they wish.

Yes it would harm the game since nobody wants you guys in our beautiful pve world.

But i could counter with introducing PvE elements into the PvP world.

Well, you couldn't use your templates anymore and the zerks in WvW would run into hard walls to protect a bubble of PvE players fighting a meta event. But hey, maybe we can get a "don't accept PvE" button that grey's out the bubble so you don't have to look at people.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Do you want the truth then listen up closely. Everyone says gw2 has the best and most friendly community new or old players. Do you know why? Bcs we don't have open world competition for mining, gathering, grinding and no open world pvp neither duels.

Just add duels and watch the snowball begin rolling. I don't think Anet wants that bcs it does not fit in their goals and portfolio.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1