Why I think this game is dying

ComeAndGetThem.3152

OK I am a little drunk but hear me out:

When you play your main in pvp and try hard and have rating X and when you try a new class with very little experience and chill Q and still maintain rating X, then whats the point of try harding?

What does the game reward you with for tryharding? When the answer to this question becomes "nothing" then this game is dead. You stop tryharding and just troll. And so do others.

No salt btw, just pointing out something that came to mind while queing up at this hour.

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 1

10% of the playerbase are predominantly PvPers according to Mike O'Brien at one point. So if 10% of the population goes, is the game dying? I doubt it, since PvE is pretty kitten healty at the moment.

SPvP MIGHT be dying, but WvW is still active, again according to the devs.

So let's see. PvE and WvW are not dying.  PvP might be dying (but probably isn't).  So yeah, the game is fine.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Well, if you don;t see a difference between playing to the best of your abilities and just doing it casually with no effort put in, perhaps you should, i don't know, try harder? Or stop playing while drunk?

I don't drink. It takes an idiot to consume a substance that's both addictive and toxic to your body.

In any case, individual effort has no impact on WvW. That's my point. In sPvP sure, when there are fewer players, every individual action matters. In a 50v50 battle...Whatever. As I said: it's basically PvE.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I don't drink. It takes an idiot to consume a substance that's both addictive and toxic to your body.

In any case, individual effort has no impact on WvW. That's my point. In sPvP sure, when there are fewer players, every individual action matters. In a 50v50 battle...Whatever. As I said: it's basically PvE.

That comment wasn't directed at you mate. You drunk or something 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

27 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Do you eat fast food?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

I don't drink either but I sure as hell wouldn't make such a judgemental and asinine blanket statement like that about whats probably pretty close to three quarters of the human race.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

fun fact, everything can be addictive. 
Flies away.

I havnt taken this game as a serious pvp competitive scene in at least 5 years. When theres only one game mode ever available at any given time, and no separate balance for each game mode, it a 100% sign that the game is never under proper care essentially making it a failed game mode. The best thing anet is good at is pvp dissapointment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Let's put this in perspective, if the population was actually reasonable and not as whiny, how would the gamemode fair? There is no lack of things to do, lack of new maps or gamemodes maybe, but in PvP you're not meant to constantly bring out content to outright keep people interested, people need to enjoy what already exist at a constant pace too,you risk splitting and having too much otherwise.

At minimum at least 4 known game modes should exist, like KOTH, CTF, TDM and Domination.

Fun fact being we already have two of those, third being stronghold and rather unpopular however could potentially have gone better if players cared because it ain't that bad.

Population interest is partly to blame, the meta wasn't always healthy but we are quite past those now, hearing about trap rune DH or scourge being super OP is blown out of proportion. There's a lot of things to play RN if you get good enough, obviously some parts of certain professions could use some work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ideally, there should be a two-way communication between the pvp community, not just the favored ones, and the devs. Right now, I feel like we have been left in the black. There is NO channel specifically for this game mode. What's worse is that it was mostly disregarded during EOD event. 

Meanwhile, if you check the twitter accounts of the former e-sports circle, you still see a top level Anet representative communicating with them. Granted, it's probably for marketing purposes where they get a commission on sales made from the link. That's fine and besides, many of them are no longer active in the game. 

What bothers is me is that if they have time to communicate with former top players, why can't have they have time to communicate with us, the ones who still play. The ones who still buy gems and expansions. THE ONES WHO HAVE TO ABILITY TO GET OTHERS TO PLAY. FREE MARKETING. NO COMMISSIONS NEEDED.

It's just baffling that there's no word from the developers about pvp.

I'm certain they consult with some of the current top players. However, it would be nice if they opened up to the rest of the community. 

Not all PvPers are vile, rude and salty. 

Edited by Pimsley.3681
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 7:05 PM, ComeAndGetThem.3152 said:

OK I am a little drunk but hear me out:

When you play your main in pvp and try hard and have rating X and when you try a new class with very little experience and chill Q and still maintain rating X, then whats the point of try harding?

What does the game reward you with for tryharding? When the answer to this question becomes "nothing" then this game is dead. You stop tryharding and just troll. And so do others.

No salt btw, just pointing out something that came to mind while queing up at this hour.

Cheers

OP isn't wrong.  GW2 doesn't provide a lot of space for players to express themselves and evolve.  The only people who stick with this game and (try to) take it seriously are those with a semi-public profile or platform.  Everybody else can quickly recognize the artificial nature of GW2's pvp interactions.  If you don't quit outright after a month or so, you either become a deluded attention seeker or you burn out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Swagg.9236 said:

OP isn't wrong.  GW2 doesn't provide a lot of space for players to express themselves and evolve.  The only people who stick with this game and (try to) take it seriously are those with a semi-public profile or platform.  Everybody else can quickly recognize the artificial nature of GW2's pvp interactions.  If you don't quit outright after a month or so, you either become a deluded attention seeker or you burn out.

First of all, OP was drunk so I'm assuming his post was no-hold-barred, ultra sincere from the bottom of his heart  🙂 

Alcohol is supposed to slow one down physically and mentally but he's absolutely spot on about the reward mechanism or lack thereof this game provides. 

And Swagg, yes, I too recognize and am sensitive to the theatrical interactions. Not sure if it's a gift or a curse but I can spot on quite early if a person or a group is sincere or fake/two-faced. 

Despite the nature of the topic, I like this thread due the humor and light-heartedness of the interactions between fellow PvPers. 

Yup the ones that stick around usually have honey coming their way or at least are expecting some

I wanna add:

@Ronald McDonald.8165 is here so that lightens up the mood. Sometimes I see him at the mists and he has the proper costume down to a "T"

Sorry that was irrelevant but lets laugh and be merry. 

Edited by Pimsley.3681
  • Like 2