Tedious, mindnumbing, Newborn Skyscales

GRRRR.3521

1) Run all over Dragonfall and find 20 scales. Well, boring and the time pressure due to the brand didnt help but i got it done

2) Run all over Dragonfall and find 15 skyscales. Well, boring and the time pressure due to the brand didnt help but hey didnt i do this already

3) Run all over Dragonfall and find 20 eggs. Ha ha this one egg is right next to where one of the skyscales was earlier, im having negative fun

After that the quests got largely better. Im baffled. Where there really no other ideas for the first stage of this than the worst of early 2000's mmorpg quest filler design or was that around the time anet was abit in trouble and didnt have that many resources?

Please never unleash something like this on me ever again or at least dont have it relate to something kinda essential like a mount so i can avoid it.

EDIT: To be clear: I finished the quest and got the skyscale

Edited by GRRRR.3521
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

News flash: there are people (an quite many actually) that enjoy exploration and scavenger huts in games. What to you is "the worst of early 2000's mmorpg quest filler design" is actually content that many on the forums and in game have expressed to have enjoyed tremendously, myself included.

Personally I'd much rather do another dozend of such collections than the ones where I have to go around following the world boss timer to hope for my collection items to drop. The later is what I personally find tedious.

tldr: people are different. Just because one subset of the playerbase enjoys different kinds of content than another doesn't make any of that content bad in itself.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Negative fun + negative fun = positive experience. Why not pair it up with a costly weapon collection? 

Don't forget to visit the gem store.

No no no, you've got it all wrong
A negative + a negative = negative; it's just subtraction
A positive + a negative = just subtraction
A negative * a negative = a positive.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

First of all, Skyscsle is not essentiall. It's nice to have but you'll never need it to complete basic content.

Secondly, idk, I kinda enjoyed the hunt and exploring that map.

No idea what you mean by pressure, you can literally do that in small chunks. 

No need to complete it immediately, there's no time limit or brand or whatever, not sure what you're talking about.

So, one man's negative fun is another man's fun? I guess? Just because you're not having fun doesn't mean no one is.

And if you're not having fun, stop doing the unfun thing and come back to it later. It's not going anywhere. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, GRRRR.3521 said:

1) Run all over Dragonfall and find 20 scales. Well, boring and the time pressure due to the brand didnt help but i got it done

2) Run all over Dragonfall and find 15 skyscales. Well, boring and the time pressure due to the brand didnt help but hey didnt i do this already

3) Run all over Dragonfall and find 20 eggs. Ha ha this one egg is right next to where one of the skyscales was earlier, im having negative fun

I'll be honest, I too found the placing of those 3 collections one after the other VERY annoying. Should have been spaced out differently.

The only upside is that the collections after this part are better spaced out and less tedious imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

ANet's formula for calculating how long something should take to acquire:

Look at how long the equivalent task would take in a more reasonable game. Then at least cube it.

Why do some activities only once when you can do them 100 or even 1,000 times?

Look, I get that they need to increase player engagement, but making people do the same thing over and over again instead of giving them varied activities to do is like the lowest possible expended energy effort of game development.

That's been ANet's MO since the introduction of titles in the first game, and they're not going to go back on it now.

But I can appreciate that time spent developing interesting activities is time not spent on developing the next expansion or Living World episode.

• Confused 1

The challenge for anet developers is the enormous diversity in the user population. I play regularly with about 12-20 people, but even within that small group there are players with very different levels of engagement. Some play for a few hours a week; some live in the game. Some lap up the story and lore; some just want to hit mobs. Some are motivated by APs or event rewards; some just want to be sociable and chat with Guildies a lot of the time. Some enjoy challenges like Raids and T4 fractals; some will never countenance those options. Some enjoy changing their appearance every week; some find a look and stick with it. Some spend hours in PvP or WvW; some never venture into those modes. Some have a single character they always play; some have 50 alts.

So whatever content anet produce it will be too intense for some people and tedious for others. Some players will complete everything the day after it is released; others will never catch up with what's already out there.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

ANet's formula for calculating how long something should take to acquire

Back when I was young, people would design content, then design the matching rewards afterwards. Designing rewards, then design the content around those seems such a backward way of gamedesign 😢

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm on the last step of the skyscale grind myself (the currency grind) and will finally finish it tomorrow. When i first read what was required for the mount I was determined to dislike it. However having gone through most of the process at this point, I realized I really enjoyed the journey. It felt good and I felt like I accomplished something. Personally I thought the design was amazing and look foward to more content like this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

40 minutes ago, BadSanta.6527 said:

Good luck dude it is just the begining

Maybe i wasnt clear enough, i finished the quest and got the Skyscale already (ill add something to the op). All the other quests after the initial tedious fetchquest were fine, more or less.

As for it not being essential, what finally got me to do this was being left in the dust with my griffon on any train on any map that had any verticality. Since they promised more of that fabled Tangled Depths verticality in EoD i wanted to be prepared.

News Flash : Starting your post with News Flash makes me ignore that post 🙂

Edited by GRRRR.3521
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, GRRRR.3521 said:

Maybe i wasnt clear enough, i finished the quest and got the Skyscale already (ill add something to the op). All the other quests after the initial tedious fetchquest were fine, more or less.

As for it not being essential, what finally got me to do this was being left in the dust with my griffon on any train on any map that had any verticality. Since they promised more of that fabled Tangled Depths verticality in EoD i wanted to be prepared.

News Flash : Starting your post with News Flash makes me ignore that post 🙂

You can read here, people find the "Journey" appealing and have the feeling to have achieved something after they have grazed the same map 3 times in a row, sometimes at the same points.

How can you criticize this wonderful, totally developed and clearly thought out collection from anet. How dare you oô.

*irony off*

But let's be honest, will not be the first and not the last of such things. Since people seem to really like that ... to "discover" things several times in a row ^^'''.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do understand.

I'm working on the Return to LW achievements, and went to the wiki for some particluar thing, only to see that the particular thing I was doing was also part of a achievement for one of the legendaries I might pursue. Of course, that achievement isn't unlocked, so even though I'm doing it there won't be credit and I'll have to do it again.

A little frustrating to have to go back over and do the same thing again. But, that is kind of how these games are built.

Really, peak behind the curtain. There are people who play these games as a full time job. They constantly want something to pursue. There is not development team in the world that could create enough real content to keep them that busy for nine years. So we get daily cooldowns, long collection quests, and "go back and do it again for something new".

Until technology and design get to the pont where a sandbox game can actually create an enjoyable, long term story, that's what we have.

Honestly, I enjoyed running around the island repeatedly more than gettting 250 widgets from each LW4 zone.

Edited by Gibson.4036

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Agreed, although I was fortunate to have stacks of zone currencies in the bank.

I'm a little jealous of my son, who is now getting 250 of each currency dropped on his head just by getting to tier 3 in each Return to LW event.

Then again, he's been jealous of me mounting up and flying over obstacles for a while, so I guess it works out. 😄

• Like 1

I remember the skyscale collections got me to quit the game for a bit. I don't get how the griffon was so kitten fun, and the beetle was decent. But they botched the skyscale collection to feel so darn monotonous... 

I would love for them to go back and change some of that. Even though I already did it, I'm sure it'll be a sour point for a lot of new players.

• Like 1