What weapon would not work for a future expec ?

Dawanarth.4601

9 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Well, the leaks came out before phase two, and every weapon was correct in the last beta. So it looks like the leaks were real. That means thief scepter, ranger hammer, and engie mace.

As much as I wanted the return of the Bunny Thumper, scepter on Thief is probable the last straw.  I'm probably not going to buy EoD at this rate.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

As much as I wanted the return of the Bunny Thumper, scepter on Thief is probable the last straw.  I'm probably not going to buy EoD at this rate.

Interestingly the (hollow and fake) return of bunny thumper almost made me not buy EoD. The thing that made bunny thumper work in GW1 was the fact that rangers had an entire trait line that reduced cds, and made normally slow hammer ccs spammable. I guess the new spec might include a trait that reduces all cds on hammer abilities, but I still feel it wouldn't be the same. Of course in spvp there's still the issue of single digit damage on cc abilities as well.

As a ranger main, I felt bitter disappointment to see hammer as the 'leaked' ranger weapon. I might be pleasantly surprised by it during the beta, but given how things have gone so far, I'm putting my money on keeping bitter disappointment.

• Sad 1

I would say warriors with scepter. I can already imagine them waving around the scepter going "I CAST BOULDER!" Then picking up a bolder and tossing it at the enemy. Or "I CAST FIRE BALL!", taking out a torch, lighting the scepter on fire and then tossing it. Maybe cast a 'sleep' spell by bashing the enemy on the head and causing a knockdown effect.

For Elementalists, it would be the hammer, but they are getting that, so I will say any more melee weapons. Not really for theme, but just due to the backlash it will receive.

For Rangers, honestly, I can see them with any weapon, but imagining them with pistols is amusing to me as it is so antithetical to their core. So let's give them a ghost version of their pet, as symbolism to their ideals being dead.

Guardian, also a tough one, I can see them using basically anything, but a pistol seems really weird to them as well. They seem too 'holy righteousness' to use one of those if that makes sense. I suppose they'd become a Knight Templar, using dark versions of their spells, or being a monster hunter kind of like Blood Borne.

Thieves, hm...Hammers. Let's give the slippery thief that is supposed to be a hit and runner a giant clunky weapon. The mechanic of the spec is that every attack stuns, but it also stuns yourself as you trip and fall over yourself as it is the first time you ever picked up something heavy in your life.

As for Mesmers, that one is a tricky one, as they use weapons weirdly. I also want to say Hammers for them, as they are a very Finesse caster type and hammers are like the complete opposite of that. So lets have a mesmer shatter their illusions with a big FU hammer.

Revenants is a hard one as they can channel the skills of basically anyone, so anything works for them, so instead of weapon I will focus on a legend. Legendary Tsunami Stance, Shooshadoo the quaggan. Channel this legend to swim around more efficiently I suppose.

For the Engineers, let's go with melee power axe, because like Eles, Engineers also do not like melee power weapons anymore. So having another one will likely cause some problems. But thematically, I don't see them using bows, they could use trick arrows, but that is more of a super hero trope.

And finally for Necromancers, I want to say bow, for some reason it just seems wrong like thematically it just doesn't really work out well. I suppose it can fire snakes from bows, and that would be amusing.

On 9/26/2021 at 11:24 AM, Dawanarth.4601 said:

Like for example a Thief with a shield would be quite improbable, or a Warrior with a Sceptre ?

If you are looking at weapon value (how many classes can use it/making most out of making a legendary version)

Note that meta and popularity is a changing factor. Keep that in mind too.

Weapon Value with Updated Espec Leaks

All Specs and the weapons they can currently use.

Greatsword, sword, axe, staff look good to craft first bcs they are widely used.

Edit: While my post looks far cry, links are still interesting to check. 

Edited by fatihso.7258

12 minutes ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Are you familiar with tectonic music?

Warrior/Ranger: I use that horn to signal my allies to attack, giving them buffs

Elementalist: I Call upon the element to channel through my breath

Necro: I call upon shades to attack my enemies

Engineer:

https://i.imgur.com/CHIzJC4.png

The most improbable weapon in GW2 is quaggan on a stick.

We already have choya on a stick, and quaggans are too...squishy.  The logistics of replacing smooshed quaggans after every hit is too burdensome to be an effective weapon.  The other problem is that Charr might end up eating their weapon.  All it takes is some garlic and butter.  

In terms of game mechanics, the recharge animation of tying a yuppy quaggan to the stick would be too long that players would ragequit.  Not to mention that the ammunition system would depend on the mass abduction of the quaggan population.

I mean, skritt on a stick?  Se that's far more doable.  They can do that whirling attack and you got the equivalent of a circular saw right there.

Rabbit on a stick?  Are you kidding me?  That thing would top the damage charts.

Krait on a stick?  Forget the stick, the krait is a stick.  Plus all those spines and them fangs make for great condition application.

But quaggan on a stick?  Too smushy, too much of a hassle, and just overall not a good weapon.  The only pro is smashing that blubbery squishball in the middle of it's cooing.  Other than that, there is zero upside to quaggan on a stick.

/thread

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/26/2021 at 10:24 AM, Dawanarth.4601 said:

Like for example a Thief with a shield would be quite improbable, or a Warrior with a Sceptre ?

Warrior =/= Scepter, why not? Warrior just use the empty stick of a magical wood pin and hit enemies with it in their head like every other decent mage would do. What do think mages are doing when they run out of juice? 😄

PS Don't tell anyone, but that is why "slow" is the major condition everybody are running around with lately DS

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437

All current weapons are possible since Anet doesn't follow normal weapon conventions. They can do whatever you want. A weapon is merely something you hold and gives you a set of skills...lol.

A shield in the hands of a thief could have them reflect conditions back at the caster, or they could even slide on it like a snowboard to rush and do a knockdown or something. lol

A scepter in the hands of a warrior could be a 100% melee-counter weapon that gives boons and heals when countering incoming attacks. "The force of foes releases the trapped magic within the scepter, and only a warrior is skilled enough to turn direct hits into glancing blows. "

• Like 1

I wouldn’t say any weapon would not be able to work for any of the specs. When new elite specs are released, a weapon is only one facet of that elites identity alongside the new mechanic, skills, and overall theme of the elite. So long as the weapon supports and contributes to the overall theme the new elite spec is bringing in, any weapon will be able to work.

You can say “oh a warrior won’t work with a scepter that doesn’t make sense”, but if you frame it as “this new elite spec with these new mechanics and theme works really well with a scepter that is the thematically relevant for what the elite is trying to do” then any weapon will be able to work in its own situations.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Afyael.1740 said:

To me a Thief + Warhorn be quite weird. You got a thief trying to be stealthy but carrying around a warhorn to blow?

Maybe if they changed it to be like a blowdart or something like that...

14 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

yeah cause rifles and pistols aren't loud at all.

This got me thinking, the idea with the rifle or pistol is that the thief is hidden up until the point where they shoot something.

So who would be hidden up until the point they blow a warhorn? A scout. Someone who secretly goes into enemy territory, then calls the troops at the right time and has them come flooding in.

It's possible to think through any weapon for any proession, really. It's all in the story you tell to get there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TwiceDead.1963 said:

Land Spears.
 😭

I don’t understand this passion some have for spears on land.

I think of spear as a grunt kind of weapon, the armament of faceless hordes. Or fishermen.

Wait, now I’m remembering the Dora Milaje. Especially as depicted in that scene in Falcon/ Winter soldier. 

Never mind. We need land spears.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1