New Thief Elite - The Specter

Graeaw.6329

10 minutes ago, Asum.4960 said:

Thief always had light magic themes with Shadow Steps, Stealth and Signets, so I don't see that being a break in theme. 

Especially coming from GW1 and the Assassin Thief filled in for, I'm glad we are finally getting more of those Shadow Magic elements covered in GW2 as well. 

And yes, Shadow Portal is a Thief Core skill - which again is on Theme with the Shadow Magic that's always been a part of Thief.

It's also worth noting that Shadow Portal replaced a trap which had a similar 'prepare a location to port to later' theme, it just couldn't port allies and was pretty janky overall so it wasn't used much.

• Like 3

That is kinda my point, for most of this games life, Thieves were considered along the same line as Ranger, Warrior, ect.  Gw1 thieves had much more interaction with magic (with Shadow Skills, ect).  It is nice to see Anet is at least attempting to bring some of that "Flavor" into GW2.  Not to step on toes, but when speaking to most players, new and seasoned, Most don't associate thief with "magic class". They have thief in as the Damage dealing fighters with stealth.  Now at least it opens the door to new possible niches for thief mains to try.

Just my thoughts.

Shadow Shroud was a more offensive skill that striped off boons from targets back in Gw1. Although it seems to be completely different, seeing it as the main profession was not unexpected although a bit surprising. I wonder if the spec will have a few skills that can mess with enemy boons as well.  I wonder if Shadow Form, what many were expecting, will be uses as an elite or a trait that boosts Shadow Shroud instead. 

8 hours ago, Felices Bladewing.3914 said:

i kinda like a concept, but i don't like the violett glow tbh. put the classic thief colours on it please

I actually love the purple mist, as it seems appropriate for shadow magic which seems to fit the theme, or as fitting as a magic thief is ever going to be.

50 minutes ago, DeceiverX.8361 said:

Beat me to it. 

This spec is absolutely going to either get nerfed into oblivion or core thief gutted even more.  The gank potential is just downright obscene. 

I'm assuming they're adjusting stealth for this spec...because I want to believe they're smart enough to realize stealth can and will cause problems otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, RyuDragnier.9476 said:

I'm assuming they're adjusting stealth for this spec...because I want to believe they're smart enough to realize stealth can and will cause problems otherwise.

Stealth or mobility. I said awhile ago that they wouldn't allow thieves to bounce or move instinctively like we can now if we're maintaining buffs and utilities in a fight. Something's gotta go or like Deceiver said, something in core will take the hit instead so they can promote their xpac Elite. 

I suppose there's also a chance that it might be perfectly unique and balanced.

2 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

I am officially hyped. 😀 Can't wait for the beta. My main's a thief, and thus far I've kept him as a Daredevil...but I might just be convinced to switch him over to Specter if this goes well. It looks awesome, and I'm excited to see how it plays.

I do not want to dampen your hype, I’m sorry. Please don’t think I’m being a debby downer. But anet had 2 separate elite specs to “wow” us. All the previews look and seem cool but in actual gameplay is where and when it matters. Which is where all of the elite specs thus far have fell short. But they can definitely prove me wrong! I want to be hype about this spec, I do! But don’t get all your hopes up.

• Like 3

Hmm, I'm cautiously optimistic about a good support spec for Thief, and like (and was mostly expecting) the shadow magic theme...I just kind of wish the animations and colors were a bit toned down. One thing I always liked about thief was the somewhat subdued animations and darker colors, Specter is giving me more 'Depressed Mesmer' than 'Master of shadow magic' vibes. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AikijinX.6258 said:

I do not want to dampen your hype, I’m sorry. Please don’t think I’m being a debby downer. But anet had 2 separate elite specs to “wow” us. All the previews look and seem cool but in actual gameplay is where and when it matters. Which is where all of the elite specs thus far have fell short. But they can definitely prove me wrong! I want to be hype about this spec, I do! But don’t get all your hopes up.

Nah, no hype-dampening here, you're fine. 🙂 Yes, actual gameplay is what matters - as has been seen from past previews/betas, where the actual spec tends to play a bit differently than the preview suggested. But I'm one of the (incredibly) rare few who have actually liked all the elite specs I've tried so far (I missed Willbender and Vindicator)...that includes Catalyst, which everyone appears to absolutely despise with a fiery passion hot enough to rival the sun. I'm easy to please.

And if it doesn't hold up, then I've got my old favorites/standbys Daredevil and Deadeye to fall back on. Personally, I'm good no matter what happens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

Stealth or mobility. I said awhile ago that they wouldn't allow thieves to bounce or move instinctively like we can now if we're maintaining buffs and utilities in a fight. Something's gotta go or like Deceiver said, something in core will take the hit instead so they can promote their xpac Elite. 

I suppose there's also a chance that it might be perfectly unique and balanced.

I'm hoping that if something has to take a hit at least on the Elite Spec side (in terms of what unique thing this elite spec will penalize), I'm really hoping it's stealth. With access to the Shadow Shroud, do we really need to use stealth when we're literally shrouding ourself in the shadows anyway?

I understand that they wanted thief that is more useful in parties, but I dislike scepter. They could have easily made Shiro type assassin with dual swords that uses gw1 deadly arts type hexes to boost dmg allies do enemies. The shadow magic is a cool idea for boosting allies though, but I wished they saved that for a different expansion. I mean we are going to Cantha, the origin place of assassins 😞

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Lex.3975 said:

I understand that they wanted thief that is more useful in parties, but I dislike scepter. They could have easily made Shiro type assassin with dual swords that uses gw1 deadly arts type hexes to boost dmg allies do enemies. The shadow magic is a cool idea for boosting allies though, but I wished they saved that for a different expansion. I mean we are going to Cantha, the origin place of assassins 😞

Agree, theres nothing l've seen with the sceptre that that makes me think it had to be there. Your literally smacking mobs in the head with it in the trailer. Magic based axe or mace would make more sense here. Sceptre is just lame.

Edited by BobbyT.7192
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Lex.3975 said:

I think it's the right call. After double Sword Shiro Rev and double Sword Willbender doing a low magic double Sword Assassin Thief would have imo been pretty samey, especially with how Thief already plays. Core Thief and Daredevil in some instances already took a lot of the Deadly Arts of GW1's Assassin, while Shadow Arts moved more into the backround.

So with going to Cantha, which introduced the Assassin in GW1, reexploring those different aspects of it in Shadow Magic seems very fitting to me.

• Like 2