New Thief Elite - The Specter

Graeaw.6329

12 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Sounds like lots of immob/stun, non-projectile ranged attacks. 'Shroud' could be anything. I doubt it applies barriers because it looks like it is a constant application. I'm betting it drains initiative to reduce damage or give condi reduction or something like that. 

One thing ... it will be weird to shroud another player with no benefit to yourself.  I hope Anet takes care of that somehow. 

You literally see the yellow barrier at 0:34 of the trailer

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jijimuge.4675 said:

Looking at the animations on the targets, it seems that blindness (shown 0:17) and torment (shown 00:20 to 00:21) are among the conditions they can apply - perhaps not a surprise...

The blind is obviously from Pistol 5; as for Torment, a more condi option is very welcome I guess. I'm getting kinda tired of D/D 3 and P/D 3

• Like 3

Looks sick! I like that thief support focuses on supporting a single ally. It goes with their theme well. As the enemies pick focus targets, you shield them from harm and hide in the shadows yourself to evade danger. I don't think it'll be that strong of a bruiser, but a clear support spec that can help turn the tides during critical pushes. This spec will help protect commanders in wvw from spikes, heavy damage dealers during team fights, and hopefully will have a viable condi option in pve, although that seems unclear still. I think this spec will maintain thief roamer role, but a roamer support, less about team fights and more about turning specific engagements and running the map to pick out those situations. 

I hope I'm not just dreaming too much, but thats what I hear in terms of playstyle. Roamer support, most used for burst support to turn the tide of a moment, rather than the traditional boon spam. Which is why I don't think it'll do as well in PvE as a support, but still maybe I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

It sounds interesting, they mentioned barrier and tethering abilities, so it sounds like a defensive supportive set which I can get behind. Scepter looks like it is melee though, could be either a good or bad thing. I am cautiously optimistic about this E-Spec, I liked the idea behind most E-Specs, and then they tend to flop on me. Hopefully this one fills the role it is supposed to.

Vaguely predicted:

On 10/2/2021 at 7:57 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

The scepter in the image kind of makes me think it'll be some kind of thief+necro take on the class. Maybe steal turned into a stance/transformation skill with traits turning from "...on steal" to "your next attack applies..." after entering it.

😛

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Knighthonor.4061 said:

Iam curious now about what the utilities will be

I think the tethering abilities are the utilities. If it is like other games, you link between people within range and so long as they stay in range you and the linked get buffs. Might be something like increased damage, or pulsing heals/barrier.

Just now, Harak.8397 said:

I assume it must be because of a trait but I couldn'y help noticing she drops a bomb at her feet when using certain "specter shroud" skill.

Yeah I saw that too, looks like a type of black hole spell, a radial pull that drags everyone to the center of it, those tend to be very useful spells in quite a few situations. Strong against Breakbar, and groups up trash. It's one of the few things that gave me hope for this one.

Ive noticed that the trailer doesn't show the spector using any stealth abilities.

With the comment in the beginning about thieves hiding in the shadows but spectors wielding the shadows it gives me the impression that maybe this spec doesn't get access to stealth but rather any stealth application fills up a new shadow resource that fuels the shadow shroud

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

In theory, this is everything I was hoping for Thief: scepter, shadow magic, allied support, more skills (via transform), a beautiful shade of purple...I even love the name as well.

In practice? Not gonna fall trap to the hype train again after the last 2 rounds of specs and am expecting it to be lackluster. Hope to be proven wrong because this is like my dream spec just based on the trailer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And suddenly it is as a thousand agnonized screams could be heard from warrior forum and than suddenly all went silent..

Gratz guys on escaping the warrior syndrome and actually getting a supportive e-spec that puts you on the map as something else than just dps dealers. Seems you'll be having lotsa fun with specter 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Felices Bladewing.3914 said:

i kinda like a concept, but i don't like the violett glow tbh. put the classic thief colours on it please

Yes, this violet and blue color scheme does not suit a thief at all. My first thought was: "Is this a mesmer? Am I watching the right video for sure?"

Edited by Dzheen.5291
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

14 minutes ago, Kayberz.5346 said:

Ive noticed that the trailer doesn't show the spector using any stealth abilities.

With the comment in the beginning about thieves hiding in the shadows but spectors wielding the shadows it gives me the impression that maybe this spec doesn't get access to stealth but rather any stealth application fills up a new shadow resource that fuels the shadow shroud

Or maybe stealth application is now the shadow shroud directly.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

OK ... and that doesn't make me conclude it applies a barrier. Why can't that just be the animation?

Because all of the boons, condis and combat mechanics in the game have set animations? 

Easy example is aegis which is depicted as an illusionary purple shield on the left arm of a character.  

The yellow aura in the trailer is the barrier animation....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrayHawk.7560 said:

The yellow aura in the trailer is the barrier animation....

Right ... and I'm not disagreeing that the barrier has that animation. I'm just not going to conclude this is a barrier simply because of it's animation; this isn't the first time we see Anet share animations for different things. I think that's far too assuming to make that conclusion.  Frankly, I don't think applying a barrier fits the theme all that well and it seems rather pointless as a mechanic as well ... but it's not worth arguing the point further until we get the full reveal. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 12