The Untamed - new ranger elite spec

Jijimuge.4675

7 minutes ago, covahlam.6391 said:

Oh yeah, you're probably right that 5 is the skill shown at the 24 second mark. Also, after rewatching I'm curious what the hammer spin does. The ranger uses it twice during the video, but it doesn't look like it actually hits anything.

Not sure what it does, but at 00:34 it looks like it's the 3rd element of an autoattack chain perhaps?  If so, I'd guess that it's just an AoE

I love CC and interrupt builds so this does sound interesting to me. I also like the inverse take on Soulbeast. Yes, it's not "new" per se. But it still explores a different facet of Rangers than Druid and Soulbeast. As others I'm more concerned about the pet focus. The pet system in GW2 just isn't too great in many scenarios.

Visually I'm okay with the darker green. But I really disliked the wobbly plantlike exploding space pimples on Druid and won't like them any better in green on the Untamed.

Adding some extra (energy?) management on ranger is something I like the sound of even we are still missing some info to know how it works (I miss some of the management of soulbeast). It can be really cool to have to bounce effects between the pet and ourselves. It does not look like there are support skills in the trailer but if there are some decent aoes / utilities I will try it mid in PvP.  I hope it makes up for some weaknesses of core ranger.

Edited by aymnad.9023

Oh boy.  

If we hypothetical that it is one pet and energy management based--why would combining two of the worst aspects of ranger be a good thing in ANY way? 

Because, we're (potentially) talking about micromanaging a single pet long enough to build whatever 'wild energy' is.  Even then, all we have to go on is CA form is short lived and drains while you are in it (drains more if you do anything but run around), so 'wild stance' will not last very long.  

I'm sure all the 'drink moar water' crowd on Twitch will be happily meme'ing the dev who will be oh so excited to show off  'big numberz' during the Friday stream, but I for one think this idea belongs in the bin.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

The pet will instadie...around the end of the video you can notice how the Bolstering mechanic ends on the tiger while staying on ranger, chances are we're talking about a resource management mechanic that will most likely run out during a zerg fight.

I pray for an "on and off" instace like soulbeast mode..what I expect is a resource managemet like druid in which case...yeah it will fail in wvw zerg fights

It doesn't end, it transfers from the pet to the ranger. The narration makes it very clear too ("the power of nature flows back and forth between the untamed and their animal companion").

So it's a buff you can swap between yourself and your pet. Now whether it's a hot potato you need to often juggle between the two of you, or strictly a choice of who can get the most benefit out of it remains to be seen.

• Thanks 2

Yeah so far what little the trailer gives I think will be a good fit for Ranger.

The pet buffing seems interesting and I am also curious about whether this spec will be limited to a single pet like Soulbeast is.
I kinda feel like maybe we will but at the same time what mechanic will come into play to serve as a pet res if we do?

Soulbeast had the merge thing going for it, this spec does not appear to have anything like that so unless one of the new pet buff abilities provide some kind of pet revive then it makes sense that the pet swap will remain.
Speaking of pet buffs.. new F skills or are these the utilities?
I'm betting on utilities personally.

I can see this spec being a good combo with the Marksman traitline, specifically because of Predators Onslaught and Moment of Clarity.
Dem CC's are going to be awesome! 
Also got some Skirmishing and Nature Magic traits in mind as well which may play well with this new spec, I can't wait to see it in game and check out the new traits ^^

Trailer also said Daze! specifically and Warhorn also got Daze added to it a while ago as well.
Rune of the Mesmer, you're gonna be a fun one 😄 

Edited by Teratus.2859

I feel like they barely showed anything about this spec and it bothers me in a way, not too much to speculate. But it seems it isn't going the Bunny Thumper route, so no quickness hammer. It also seems to increase the defense of the pet as the cat did not melt immediately from being attacked. So durable cats, yay? It also looks CC heavy which is pretty cool I assume. I feel like this one will live and die by numbers unfortunately, and may have some very heavy competition with Soul Beast. 

3 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It's going to do 0 damage in competitive play.

Nah, I can already see this thing hitting like a truck when it's daze's are combined with Predators Onslaught, Moment of Clarity and Runes of the Mesmer.
Rock Gazelle may also become more popular for additional Daze.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Nah, I can already see this thing hitting like a truck when it's daze's are combined with Predators Onslaught, Moment of Clarity and Runes of the Mesmer.
Rock Gazelle may also become more popular for additional Daze.

Rune of the mesmer doesn't stack with Moment of Clarity.

Hit like a truck? Not more than what a soulbeast can do on the very same setup.

Maybe the spec comes WITH a truck so the pet can hit a moving target 🙃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Lazze.9870 said:

Rune of the mesmer doesn't stack with Moment of Clarity.

Hit like a truck? Not more than what a soulbeast can do on the very same setup.

Maybe the spec comes WITH a truck so the pet can hit a moving target 🙃

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but its anet.  Nothing says soulbeast won't get nerfed to make this do what it used to do 😂

My problem with Marks in general is that both Core and SB benefit heavily from BM, but only Core can take advantage of the extra line, because both also need WS since all the condition clear is there.  

I've mentioned it before but I believe this is where Commands come into play, as there literally has to be SOME use for them after they gutted our NM options.  

• Thanks 1

So I've seen a few people speculate that the new mechanic could work like rev energy or CA, but I think it would be interesting if it works more like holo's heat. It could be something where channeling this raw, primal magic grants the wielder increasing power/defense, but maintaining it too long runs the risk of being consumed by it's untamed nature. That way they could make the power of the "primal form" really strong with the trade-off being the risk of downing yourself or your pet if you're not careful.

It seems like the ranger has resistance at the very start of the video, so maybe you start pulsing defensive boons at certain thresholds. I can also see a stacking damage reduction buff or something that massively increases damage output the closer you/your pet are to being consumed if it worked like this. I think it could be a fun balancing act if executed well.

Edited by Tempest.8479
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but its anet.  Nothing says soulbeast won't get nerfed to make this do what it used to do 😂

My problem with Marks in general is that both Core and SB benefit heavily from BM, but only Core can take advantage of the extra line, because both also need WS since all the condition clear is there.  

I've mentioned it before but I believe this is where Commands come into play, as there literally has to be SOME use for them after they gutted our NM options.  

NM is a joke, I don't think I touched that line in over 5 years. And it was never meta for anything, other than the spvp spirit build years and years ago. They should have reworked that line along with spirits for the Druid.

2 minutes ago, mistsim.2748 said:

NM is a joke, I don't think I touched that line in over 5 years. And it was never meta for anything, other than the spvp spirit build years and years ago. They should have reworked that line along with spirits for the Druid.

BM/NM was very much a thing prior to shouts being changed to commands because of these:

Superior Rune of the Trooper - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

If those were still a thing, I wager we wouldn't see WS nearly as much because of Fresh Reinforcement / Celestial upgrade and the ability to stack massive boons for a ton of time.  

They REALLY need to have conditions removed on command or something to break us away from WS.  

Just now, RyuDragnier.9476 said:

Ooof, an elite based around the wonkiest part of Ranger (and my personal least favorite part). I'm hoping UI changes and general changes for the pets come with this so I can actually try to give pets a shot again.

No no no, this is exactly what the class needed.

/s

Wonder what the teaser would have looked like if they tried to fight moving targets.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I would guess the 'alternating' buff heals or revives pets. As it stands, I struggle to find this spec too interesting. You basically get 2 pets, the 'core' pet and the 'buffed' pet. The 'buffed' pet gets a new ability - so probably a choice between 4 or 5 depending on which variant of a pet type you take (like soulbeast). Hopefully it gets it's normal combat cooldowns reset as if it were a new pet.

I struggle to think of what could make having the buff on the ranger interesting. Probably ends up being very similar to Vindicator where the grandmaster trait affects its functionality, split between condi, strike, survivability.

Hammer is a new remorseless engine.. I guess that's good? They already have experience with this from warrior hammer, so hopefully it's just an upgraded version of warrior hammer - 2 disables and a big hit to capitalize on them.

2 minutes ago, Lazze.9870 said:

No no no, this is exactly what the class needed.

/s

Wonder what the teaser would have looked like if they tried to fight moving targets.

Valid concern, because the streams on Friday's they fight golems, which conveniently also don't move.  

Guess that'd be a bad PR look for the pet to go whiffing and waste all its wild energy, then get nuked by some random AoEs.  

• Thanks 1

Well, the name's a bit...dorky...but other than that it looks nice! I like the idea of a more pet-focused spec, since both Druid and Soulbeast either downplayed or outright dismissed the pet. It'll be nice to have something different. (And I like that they get a hammer.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1