does your server defend?

AvengeDeathToo.4580

got into an argument in team chat today, we lost two t3 structures because our tag in ebg was farming ppl in smc and didnt want to come defend at home bl.  This seems to happen more and more on our server.  does this happen on other servers as well?  just curious.  btw they didnt take smc, just ran around killing enemies.  

• Thanks 1

Sounds like the server I'm linked with. :s All they do is run around the lord's room to farm the same 10 defenders that are coming back over and over again. And it wouldn't be as bad if they weren't so skittish to have to pirateship said 10 poor folks.

But did people give reports in advance? They're not just going to respond to anything without proper info/timing because they won't be able to get their group back into EBG easily and then half the squad is waiting in queue or something. That is, ruining the fun of 40-50 people just for some structures.

Like if people go "HALP THEY ON LORD", I'm going to pretend to not see that.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2

Depends on the commanders and groups running. On my link server we have regular commanders, like 3-6 of them every night that will respond to defend something if they can, depending on group size involved. But yeah... more and more these days you will find those organized "fite" groups going around trying to farm smc and keeps for bags, gets pretty boring when they're doing it with fat boon balling groups, the only thing that can challenge them is other fat boon balling groups.

Also scouts need to start giving proper information and not play 20 questions. You don't need to type out five lines with a single piece of information over 2mins when you could have abbreviated it into one. Linking objectives does nothing for a scout call. If you want a response, especially an immediate one, then type in the needed information, people won't respond to something they don't know what's there.

No one is going to send a zerg to take on two people at a camp, but call out two people at the camp and you will get roamers flying down there. Tell us there's a zerg of 25+ at wg with golems and you will see people respond quickly, while just linking garrison will just get more questions for the next 2 mins of who's there?, numbers?, which side? siege? I want to slap every lazy scout upside the head these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Depends on the commanders and groups running. On my link server we have regular commanders, like 3-6 of them every night that will respond to defend something if they can, depending on group size involved. But yeah... more and more these days you will find those organized "fite" groups going around trying to farm smc and keeps for bags, gets pretty boring when they're doing it with fat boon balling groups, the only thing that can challenge them is other fat boon balling groups.

Also scouts need to start giving proper information and not play 20 questions. You don't need to type out five lines with a single piece of information over 2mins when you could have abbreviated it into one. Linking objectives does nothing for a scout call. If you want a response, especially an immediate one, then type in the needed information, people won't respond to something they don't know what's there.

No one is going to send a zerg to take on two people at a camp, but call out two people at the camp and you will get roamers flying down there. Tell us there's a zerg of 25+ at wg with golems and you will see people respond quickly, while just linking garrison will just get more questions for the next 2 mins of who's there?, numbers?, which side? siege? I want to slap every lazy scout upside the head these days.

Yea, if you just link an objective with no context, I'll just ignore it.

That's basically telling other people to scout it, and then that begs the question "what is the point of you anyways?"

There's also this one "scout" we know that likes to link stuff after it's been captured.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

tbh: it really depends on the situation of the squad, how the  maps are looking like and the information given. 

In our case, if we were caught in a fight in SM, with enemies permanently running to us (giving us free lootbags) our commander probably won´t port (or probably wouldn´t even be able to port soon enough, because enemy zerk/cloud would keep people infight). 
Additionally, EBG is usually the most stuffed map. Once you leave (especially with a full squad) you probably won´t get back (especially with a full squad). 

And then there´s the thing with information. 
For a call like "[insert objective name  here] inc" nobody will port, because we lack critical information. Doesn´t matter if  T0 or T3, because it could just be 2 roamers tagging  it. 

Here´s an example of how a GOOD scout call looks like: 
Where? How many? Who? What siege? Objective Status?

Homes keep inc, 30+ red @ water gate, 4 rams gate 90% dropping fast

this is the the information commanders need to make a decision. if possible ofc. 

• Thanks 1

It just feels like only player numbers matter now so it is a waste of time to defend objectives when outnumbered.  It only makes sense to defend if you can put up a fight and collect bags.  Arrow carts need a buff to increase their damage against seige or seige HP needs a decrease.  It is too easy to place proxy catas instead of having to think and use seige strategically.

6 hours ago, AvengeDeathToo.4580 said:

got into an argument in team chat today, we lost two t3 structures because our tag in ebg was farming ppl in smc and didnt want to come defend at home bl.  This seems to happen more and more on our server.  does this happen on other servers as well?  just curious.  btw they didnt take smc, just ran around killing enemies.  

Isn't the bigger question why you couldn't muster tags on both EBG and HBL at once?

The answer to your question could range from anything between that the commander didn't see your calls or being comfortable to take on the group that was hitting you to that the commander just was in a very thankless position being expected to hop around to respond to everything if the opponents had multiple groups or if your server's map distribution at the time simply meant that the commander couldn't expect to get his group on map.

If you ever joined or tried to command yourself you'd know that these are pretty common issues for a tag. On many servers when you begin to break into prime most maps tend to fill up to such a degree that continuing to hop around will just break your squad up over a handful of different maps and people ending up in queues left right and center. If a map begins to be populated (to 30%, 50% or whatever) it is perfectly reasonable to begin expecting that map to be able to fend for itself. Now we don't know the context of your example since you did not provide it. However, point being, that context is obviously very important.

Also: I'm not trying to be unfair to you here, or drag this into depths far beyond your question, but I think there is a broader context here too and that what you're saying is very reflective of why we need Alliances.

I think your perspective, among many other recent posts where people complain about commanders or defense efforts or whatever mainly illustrates a behaviour where you expect things out of tags simply because they tagged up, overlooking that they too are just players and have no responsibility to you. It is this behaviour that I find so baffling in combination with the people who swear by that they are one big happy server community that they are afraid to lose with Alliances. People have to stop taking the tags for granted. If you want a tag on your map, you can be that tag. If someone else is tagged up the only thing you need to say to them is: thank you. They are creating content and sharing it, regardless if you value their content or not. If players flock to them it's not their fault.

If people do not like to defend it says more about the server as a whole than it says about a single tag that just happened to be around and doing something else.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501
  • Like 6

As someone who tries to run a public tag as often as possible (primarily for pips and siege content accessibility)

I hardly ever defend myself. Usually I will just prefer to flip it back unless there it's close or there is added value.

I also hardly ever have reasonable resources to defend with when enemy tag drops 5 guild catas per wall has them up in seconds and eats up other zergs with top meta builds. Meanwhile I have people having trouble figuring out how to press F to build and just generally happy to have some content.

Lately I am happy to flip entire maps only to have them flipped back for most wxp per hour on all sides. Having a "heroic" defender showing off dropping siege disabler so that T1 tower which was emptied out and meant to fall will do so a bit later seems almost wasteful even for them.

I would rather take SM 5 times than to take it once defend it 4 times after, every player optimizes a different value.

Not to mention cross map queues that cripple mobility cause for half the people it would seem nothing but EB exists, and it does usually get the most action.

Every time you tag up, there is going to be that one vocal expert who will ensure everything you do is wrong cause they would so it differently. I see it all the time, read about it on guild chat, "hurr durr this tag so bad" not overly constructive but somehow they never tag up themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, koxsos.6258 said:

As someone who tries to run a public tag as often as possible (primarily for pips and siege content accessibility)

I hardly ever defend myself. Usually I will just prefer to flip it back unless there it's close or there is added value.

I also hardly ever have reasonable resources to defend with when enemy tag drops 5 guild catas per wall has them up in seconds and eats up other zergs with top meta builds. Meanwhile I have people having trouble figuring out how to press F to build and just generally happy to have some content.

Lately I am happy to flip entire maps only to have them flipped back for most wxp per hour on all sides. Having a "heroic" defender showing off dropping siege disabler so that T1 tower which was emptied out and meant to fall will do so a bit later seems almost wasteful even for them.

I would rather take SM 5 times than to take it once defend it 4 times after, every player optimizes a different value.

Not to mention cross map queues that cripple mobility cause for half the people it would seem nothing but EB exists, and it does usually get the most action.

Every time you tag up, there is going to be that one vocal expert who will ensure everything you do is wrong cause they would so it differently. I see it all the time, read about it on guild chat, "hurr durr this tag so bad" not overly constructive but somehow they never tag up themselves.

Anet should read this(and actually act on it). The game mode encourages you to avoid PvP and just flip things because defending gives you nothing.

It's dependent on the whims of whichever commander is online, server doesn't matter.

Pug commanders will rarely defend but will try recapping everything. Attacking empty paper buildings on another map is what they'd most likely to be doing anyways .

Guild commanders might show up to steal glory after pug defenders are mostly wiped. A lot of times their group just goes afk at the spawn wp though, especially if they know the enemy also has an organized group.

Either way the chances are low you'll find a commander that seeks a challenging fight rather than an easy win.

On 12/14/2021 at 5:56 AM, GoldenPants.1870 said:

Only ever for the linked server, but to Monkey Master I’s credit, he is actually helpful because he does genuinly try and defend/make callouts.

Unlike some other people I’d know.

Oh yeah he does try and makes decent callouts. He also does put his money where his mouth is and will tag up from time to time.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:36 PM, AvengeDeathToo.4580 said:

Most of us veterans already either quit or play the game very little because there are very little "challenging" fights. So we just do whatever is most fun for us whenever that is available. There are plenty of 1-push-wipe PPT groups going around. Nobody wants to hop to defend garrison against Self-Claimed-Hero-Commander number 300000 with squad filled with 20 ranger dangers....

Overall it is a game, and you want little bit of challenge with it. If you just run around killing 20 man PPT hero groups, it is comparable to walking around doing nothing. You shouldn't take it personally when commanders or guilds ignore boring things for them.

Edited by Threather.9354
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 12/13/2021 at 2:29 PM, Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

We have monkey so of course we defend, otherwise we're gonna hear about it.

On 12/14/2021 at 3:56 AM, GoldenPants.1870 said:

Only ever for the linked server, but to Monkey Master I’s credit, he is actually helpful because he does genuinly try and defend/make callouts.

Unlike some other people I’d know.

what monkey still plays?!?! awesome lol, i would give some gold to be called a borlis noob again.