Constantly dying in game, it's very frustrating

Macabre.3829

2 hours ago, Tsakhi.8124 said:

While I don't "main" any certain class, Guardian is probably one of my favorites to play. I have roughly the same HP as you do and I do okay because I play defensively as a Guardian opposed to offensively . That being said, I think this might be helpful: Use sword or mace in main hand and focus or torch in the other. The reason I say focus is because it gives you a DoT attack and an attack that blocks 3 attack with Aegis, and if you have it with a specific trait (Communal Defense under the Valor trait line.) it covers an additional 5 people with Aegis as well. Again. I have a weird play style and specialize in giving out those heals. I suggest the sword and torch due to it giving you a distance closer and that sweet, sweet burn (and cleansing conditions). Aside from that, I really can't think of anything else. Good luck and try to stick with it. 

I would not recommend an off-hand torch without the condition damage to support it (offensive playstyle, mind you). For a defensive, damage-over-time build using mace or sword, I'd imagine focus to be better. 

If you want to go for those sweet burn ticks as guardian, you have to invest in it. Otherwise, you're better off hitting at 'em with power blows. Guardian has decent autos on sword, and the 3rd chain attack hits fairly hard even without critting.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Macabre.3829 said:

I'm not a newbie. I have ascended weapon on two characters and berserker gear. Yes it's probably why I'm dying so often because my hp is 12k, but it's still really stupid.
I just ALT + F4 a quest in the crater quest in season 3 where the anomaly kept kicking me into the falling debris and getting one shotted again.

Stupid kitten design.

Tank is not 12k health and DPS armor. Try marauders for Damage builds for some sustain. Otherwise go get some Celestial gear. if you're level 80. If you do run Marauders try Runes of Rage for high sustained DPS that is inexpensive and effective.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Macabre.3829 said:

I'm not a newbie. I have ascended weapon on two characters and berserker gear. Yes it's probably why I'm dying so often because my hp is 12k, but it's still really stupid.
I just ALT + F4 a quest in the crater quest in season 3 where the anomaly kept kicking me into the falling debris and getting one shotted again.

Stupid kitten design.

Hello :)

Unlike you, I'm new, not any ascended, playing engineer in holo spec with full berzerker gear and I didn't get any trouble at any point of any story and currently aiming for S5.

Here is how I think about build when I'm alone : 
- DPS is NOT the priority.
- Staying alive IS the priority
- Add mobility (25% speed or the most swiftness uptime you can) to help kiting aoe/risky boss move
- Add sustain if you class have some (for me it's holo heal passive + heal-bag on crit, I'm sur gardien got some heal here and there too)
- Add break stun => And don't waste it ! 
- Add break bar when needed => And don't waste them

Read carefully all your trait/skill/utility, when I play or dicuss with players, I've figured out that most of them, even if played for way longer than me wasn't aware of name or effect of their skill.

Aim for a defensive build 1st (mine have a very high uptime on protection, with trait that make it stronger and the break stun holo add even more mitigation when needed)
This way, you can solo most thing, including ALL HoT HP on each maps, in your own if take care and you'll not have to worry about gear or max hp (I'm at 14k in full zerk).

Their is also food that give heal on crit or over time, very cheap, and some sigil to help keeping buff (+10%) and pack rune who help with that too (if power, dunno for condi).

Once I was getting better I started removed some defensive trait for more dmg. And now I've 3 build pre-set-up depending on what I'm going to fight and all have the exact same gear, only skill and trait change.

Hope it help, you can do it too, take your time, try many thing ! And if I'm logged, I'm in EU, don't be afraid to ask for help ! MMO is more fun with ppl anyway. No one should mock people who struggle, just help them ^^

Have a nice day ! 

• Like 8

While some profession and gear combo can sustain really well through most attacks, at some point you will need to use defensives cooldowns to stay alive regardless of your build. The most basic defensive action you should learn to use is dodging but every class have access to defensive traits and utility skills.

Guardian specifically is a low HP class with plenty of defensive tool at his disposal. People often say it is a tanky profession because of those tools and not the size of his HP pool. But remember, not every situation require the same tool ! For example : Aegis may be an incredibly powerful boon against one big hit, but it is quite poor against a swarm of rapidly hitting pocket raptors.

If you are looking for a "facetank" open-world profession you may have more success with a bruiser-ish high sustain build. Various Necromancers build and celestial Revenant with the battle scar trait line are often recommended for this style of game-play. Personally, I got good result with celestial elementalist but that is me and you may prefer another class.

I would say : if you are attached to your guardian try out celestial Firebrand. But really, if a profession does not float your boar, try another one... then another one... until you eventually find something that really get you engaged.

Have a wonderful day. 🙂

• Like 3

The tank class is warrior not guardian.

I made a "tank" guardian to roleplay balthazar, is burn guard with a mix dire/rabid stats. but is expensive/trick to a new player.

move to use a warrior, or different stats.

try Marauder DragonHunter  if u feel bored, have a good balance between survival and just dont press 1 key.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Macabre.3829 said:

1) Event bosses.

Could you possibly give an example of what you mean by "event bosses"? World bosses maybe? In nine years of playing many different builds and often engaging with low level keyrunners, I can't remember ever dying at a world boss. The one person at each Mega Destroyer event who ends up in the lava is something of a meme, but those aside, I rarely see other people dying at world bosses either. HoT map metas can be more challenging, but it's often a case of learning the mechanics and knowing when to break the defiance bar.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, MikeG.6389 said:

Avoid the damage you can, use skills that can mitigate the rest. You can move during combat, you know.

Or run away, as you seem to have done...

Lol.

In all honesty - and I say this with zero judgment - this really doesn't sound like the game for @Macabre.3829. Again, that's not a judgment or "git gud" poke of any kind at OP. It's just that the things they're taking issue with demonstrate an extremely low level of engagement with the (generous amounts of) information the game itself provides, as well as with the combat system itself.

I'm sure if OP stuck around and actually tried, they could learn to play. But this is a game, and I hate encouraging people to train/endure, like it's some sort of work, academic task, or self-improvement necessity. If someone can't clear the very low bar of combat challenge story/open world provides, not sure it's worth anyone's time to sit around trying to fix it.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

If someone can't clear the very low bar of combat challenge story/open world provides, not sure it's worth anyone's time to sit around trying to fix it.

Actually in this case I suspect they could easily clear the bar if they wanted to, but they seem to have a hard time accepting that this game plays differently from other, similar looking games, and for some reason they don't want to adapt to that.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Macabre.3829 said:

Stupid kitten design.

Definitely change all your armor and trinkets to Marauders Stats. Leave your weapons as Berserker if you made them that way already. That will help. Don't switch back to glass cannon gear until you have a good handle on game mechanics and your class.  I'd also recommend consider trying other classes.  Necro and Ranger are very beginner friendly. It doesn't really matter how long you have or have not played other MMO's or this one. Until you have a good grasp on game mechanics and your class, you will die often on a glass cannon build. Everyone's learning curve is different and how long that takes. Time has no meaning.

Do you have anyone helping you? A friend? A guild? A helping hand can go a long way to easing up the frustration levels. Perhaps reach out to a guild or buddy, in game, for help and guidance. Are you on NA or EA?  Listing what server your on will often get you offers of help. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

Actually in this case I suspect they could easily clear the bar if they wanted to, but they seem to have a hard time accepting that this game plays differently from other, similar looking games, and for some reason they don't want to adapt to that.

Yeah by "can't," I guess I was also including "won't or not willing to." I'm not doubting that OP has the capacity and general gaming experience to do well here. It's just pretty clear they don't want to meet the game on its own terms, and I see no point in trying to change that. 

And that's not a knock against OP. There are a whole bunch of releases (Lost Ark is the big one, New World was another one that I thought looked and sounded like a train wreck well before launch) that I have zero interest in getting into. Not everything is for everyone.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tungsten Monarch.6058 said:

Tank is not 12k health and DPS armor. Try marauders for Damage builds for some sustain. Otherwise go get some Celestial gear. if you're level 80. If you do run Marauders try Runes of Rage for high sustained DPS that is inexpensive and effective.

I wouldn't go celestial's on guardian. Either marauder or trailblazer, if you want that tankiness.

In short:

1. Don't enter Level 80 maps on a low-level character. It will always result in instant death.
  2. Guardian is not a tank profession, it has the lowest HP of the three heavy armor classes in this game. Its survivability derives from other aspects of the profession:Aegis, healing and high burst damage are its strengths.
  3. Learn to evade AoE. Movement is everything in this game's combat.
  4. Look for proper builds for your profession: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Guardian
  5. Adjust your graphics settings if you can't see combat markings on the ground.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Play Ele, Guard and Thief in Marauder's instead of Berserker's gear. [...]

That's bad advice and simply a very lazy approach. "Getting gud" (as in getting better acquainted with the game's mechanics, with combat movement, with your profession's skills) is the answer, you do not need full Marauder's for a Guardian.

42 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

The game is balanced around 20k HP, the devs say this in one of the recent streams.

Also inaccurate. That may be true for absolute beginners, but it is not the truth for everyone else. My Guardian has below 15k HP and doesn't have trouble to survive at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

That's bad advice and simply a very lazy approach. "Getting gud" (as in getting better acquainted with the game's mechanics, with combat movement, with your profession's skills) is the answer, you do not need full Marauder's for a Guardian.

Also inaccurate. That may be true for absolute beginners, but it is not the truth for everyone else. My Guardian has below 15k HP and doesn't have trouble to survive at all.

Marauders is acceptable in Open World or for people with ping issues. It's like 10% less damage which isn't particularly game breaking but a 60% increase in health.

It's suboptimal in organized group content as precision is usually capped with group buffs and one shot mechanics but as is, we're a long way from that in this topic.

That being said there is no need to bother with full marauders, as getting trinkets is most likely more trouble than it is worth.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2021 at 1:59 PM, Eros.6801 said:

I can only give one one piece of advice that is playing full dps build which included gears and food/utility is a disaster.

Full dps build was meant to be used in group contents where you are not alone and friends to cover up your mistakes so you can stay alive, by accepting the full glass cannon playstyle while soloing you are bound to bring upon yourself a massive pressure of concentrate on dodging, staying alive while dealing damg and this is the trade off of going full dps you lose def in return, this basically happens in any other mmrpgs so it's nothing new.

I've seen so many guardian around having this problem same as yours, some will overcome it by practicing what others already mentiond in this thread, some will seek to solve the problem by switching gears and as a guard fan myself i cannot stress this enough how good celestial guard can be (except raid).

Many great players in this thread already gave you valuable advices on how to play the class so ima stay out this part but you should open up a little.

While I agree for some people, this isn't really true. Most of my characters in the open world and story use full DPS builds and I do just fine with them.  It's not for everyone obviously but saying that you should only use full DPS builds with guys that can heal you just isn't true.

Zerker gear has been go to for many people for many years for more casual content.   You kill faster, things have less time to damage you. Sometimes you might die, but not as often as you'd think.    There are people who don't know the enemy that well, or can't read tells, or don't dodge well, or suffer lag and cant' get out of circles, and those people should build tankier, but I don't think that having a pure zerker build hurts everyone equally. I do just fine on most classes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

The defensive vs offensive gear debate doesn’t have to be so black and white. Training wheels can be a good way to learn your profession.

Whenever I start playing a profession and build I’m not familiar with, I often start with a blend of the two. Marauders or trailblazers on armor, zerker or vipers on weapon and trinkets. It gives a little space to learn my skills and get muscle memory for my key binds.

Then, as I get comfortable, I trade out the armor pieces for the dps traits.

If the OP hasn’t given up on the game, I’ll add that scrolling down the metabattle open world builds to the Solo section might be helpful. These builds are designed to solo Champs and other hard things, so they give a good amount of breathing room in regular content.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2