Give back old LA please

Banto.8761

I like the new LA, while I appreciate the old one from looking back at it...wasn't playing GW2 then....I like the progress in storyline.  Then again I went through WoW's cataclysm, where the world was forever altered, and while I might miss some of the old stuff, it was part of the story.  Having a scrying pool revisit to old LA might be interesting, but not replayable content, and LWS1 isn't making a return. 

I view the current LA as a bright, shinier rebuild to overcome the sadness of destruction and the wake of bad times.  It's lively and more of a monument to progress.  Nothing wrong with an old sea port, but things change.

• Like 1

I dont think they will. I miss old LA I avoid new LA as best I can because it hurts my eyes. Without getting into style differences between the two and saying which is "better" what I really miss is that old LA didn't hurt my eyes to hang out in light and contrast wise.  New LA is much too bright white similarly so South Sun and the snow covered maps. In any of those maps I have a much harder time trying to read chat and read the in game event related text in the upper right. That is, it hurts and strains my eyes to try and read the white text used for most things that happen to mostly be on clear or semi-transparent backgrounds. It also looks empty and most of the empty space is whitish concrete look (not nice in the least) I never understood why they took that particular direction. It looks so cheap other then the marine themed shapes and I also like the shades over certain places, but overall everything even in the shaded places just lacks contrast with in game text far too much for me to ever like it or want to hang out.

Side note: if the game just had a setting or slider to toggle or adjust window transparency that would at least resolve technical reasons I hate LA but it wouldn't resolve it feeling empty. If LA got used more for special events like Halloween that took up the space regularly that would also make it feel less empty, but has not been used like that since year one it seems like.

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Exactly what gave it some charm and character....as opposed to a soulless theme park that even corporate Disney would be embarrassed to claim.

Hehe I get that.

I'd have much preferred the first LA concept though that was shown I think in the Manifesto trailer, the old LA we got just didn't appeal.

Ultimately though im a Gw1 player, none of the Gw2 Lions Arches can compared to the original which sadly is nothing more than a sunken ruin in Gw2.
The current LA is closer to that old design imo although only in the sense that it's a fortress city.. design wise it's also vastly different.
Still better than a scrapyard though.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/21/2021 at 7:54 PM, Banto.8761 said:

You already have that area somewhere on your harddrives and you could turn it into another cashgrab item you can sell for 1000 gems or whatever.

I would actually buy this one, even if on a smaller scale, and honestly don't think it'd return any other way. I still miss old LA and dislike the new one. It has never grown on me and feels empty, lifeless and artificial. I avoid it as much as possible.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

New LA looks like someone’s concept for an Aquarium Themepark in Southern California.

Old LA had character and felt like it had history. It was worth exploring.

Plus it actually had places TO explore, which is is one of the biggest problems I have with NuLA as it has much fewer places to explore.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

Chances of Anet giving us back old LA: Between: Slim & Jack and Jack just left town. 

But also it's nearly 2022 and sadly can't see Anet changing LA at this late stage.  Also "New LA" can hardly even be called New LA :We've been stuck with it for years!  It's definitely not new for players that never played Gw1. 

Still am all for a VIP Lounge Pass "Return to Old LA" 

10 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

New LA looks like someone’s concept for an Aquarium Themepark in Southern California.

I agree with this. I love the idea of visual progress of an area but they went overboard with the redesign of Lion's Arch. I think the old Lion's Arch looked much more interesting and was more interesting to explore than this new themepark, as you aptly call it.

I don't think there's anything that can be done about it now, though. Damage has been done and now we have to live with it. A retcon or an instanced pocket dimension wouldn't be very satisfying in my view.

Edited by Kathkere.3068
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

But I like Theme Parks! Covid has taken away the Theme Parks IRL and now we can't even have a pixel one?

Old LA is still around, parts of it anyway, they are deep in the water. RIP and stay here.

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pre Scarlet LA had a panache to it for sure. I liked that it was grittier. It was a pirate city after all. New LA does not feel like a pirate city.

Old LA still had fish themed structures, but new LA looks like bubblegum seaworld, lacks the grit and panache of a pirate city, and I would 100% put 2000 gems down on a scroll to visit Old LA whenever I want to.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

On 12/21/2021 at 9:54 AM, Banto.8761 said:

Why can't you just release it as accessible area like Mistlock Sanctuary?

Yes, that would be the best way to bring it back: as a VIP area. It has been suggested many times over the years.

I am starting to think that they might not be able to relocate the whole instance elswhere without redoing it from scratch.

• Like 1

I know Anet is too busy looking how they can boost conditions even further whilst letting power builds look like a pure joke.
But as i said. It would have been much less work for them to create a pass thingy like Mistlock Sanctuary than developing a whole new map. Looking at the responses i smell there can be a coin made. 

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, Banto.8761 said:

Looking at the responses i smell there can be a coin made. 

The forums represent a very, very small portion of the user base.  Could there be coin made?  Maybe, but would it make a profit over the development needed to implement this suggestion?  Only Anet knows and I'm guessing it's not.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

The forums represent a very, very small portion of the user base.  Could there be coin made?  Maybe, but would it make a profit over the development needed to implement this suggestion?  Only Anet knows and I'm guessing it's not.

Than maybe we should just close down the forum then, since its meaningless anyways.🙄

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

As someone who did not play the game before the destruction of Lion's Arch, I would love to be able to experience it. Judging from videos, old Lion's Arch seemed to have a lot more detail and more places to explore. As previously mentioned, it would be great if there was an alternative way to visit it. Both for the nostalgia of people who has played the game since the beginning, and for newer players who want to be able to explore it for different reasons.

• Like 1

there are two major reasons why i like the old LA more.

1) it actually has a charm

it looks alive, like it has bin build over the decades and got bigger as time goes.

2) it has no bloody intro movie

no really , who's bright idea was that?

the new one is empty, charmless and overall not a city but a theme park.

it should be renamed, lobsterland would be fitting, add a roller coaster in it while we're at it.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1