Will anet spend some marketing money to get more new players into the game around EOD release?

I think GW2 is the best MMO around, and I play a lot of MMOs. GW2 has very very challenging content if you are looking for it (Migraine, how I love you), and tons of content. The mastery system is fun, and builds are fun to play with. Will there ever be a GW2 marketing blitz? I wonder if anet knows how amazing their game really is and I wonder if they realize they could have a lot more players if they reached out to the wider MMO community more often. I know they put a lot of work into the game and I want others to try it out. Really the only thing missing is a bit more of hand holding once you get your first 80 to show you that there is a lot to do. Besides that, I think it's a winner and deserves to be in the top 5, at least. That's all. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1) How should we know?
2) Even if ANet spends money on advertisement, it's not a given that said ads will be targeting new playes, as they should.
3) ANet has a rather sad track reckord when it comes to marketing. So even if they'd spend some money on ads, the ads might still not do the game justice.

Yes, they absolutely should spend some money on marketing, but they should definitely let other people design the campaign.

• Like 8

I am following lots of gaming content and to be honest rarely see any GW related news,promos or anything and it's sad because the game itself (outside of grinding and achievement walls) is very good and innovative and the story is something filmmakers should do a movie about.

I hope the bests after the new expansion and I hope GW2 will pop-up more often and not just for the new expansion but more frequently later on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Neither did FF14 and New World, the social media pretty much did the job for them, while GW2 drove away the majority of its streamers.

As for EoD, I can only quote Steve Jobs:

The product suck. there is no sex in them anymore.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 4
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

From another game I am playing it made me realize GW2 is missing out on a lot of free/cheap advertisements in the form of cosplay/fanart/videos/merch and probably some stuff I am forgetting. Some of that is just from people making for themselves but a lot is also being encouraged from the various contests/in game events. I don't work in marketing so this is pure speculation but it seems like those might be better than direct ads since they come across as more "organic" and pervasive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 10:35 AM, Khisanth.2948 said:

From another game I am playing it made me realize GW2 is missing out on a lot of free/cheap advertisements in the form of cosplay/fanart/videos/merch and probably some stuff I am forgetting. Some of that is just from people making for themselves but a lot is also being encouraged from the various contests/in game events. I don't work in marketing so this is pure speculation but it seems like those might be better than direct ads since they come across as more "organic" and pervasive.

*Looks up tags on instagram* ... not sure why people tag "guildwars2cosplay" on their regular selfies XD ... or maybe it's a reference as a player XD

yeah, i wouldn't mind a updated Guild Wars 2 Themed PC build and yeah, a friendly Cosplay competition(online since whole pandemic).

Edited by jishi.7568
add extra links

Let's see what will come out around February that would more or less overlap with EoD:

- Lost Ark: Feb 11 - This will be a huge sweep, anything MMO-related around this date might get drown in the sheer amount of buzz this will generate for weeks before and after the release.

- Total War - Warhammer 3: Feb 17 - This is not as much danger, but it has a very strong fantasy fanbase.

- Destiny 2 - The Witch Queen: Feb 22 - Much less danger, but it has a very strong (albeit a bit dented) IP and much better marketing.

- Elden Ring: Feb 25 - It already has a very strong impact on solo fantasy open world crpg fans, so it seems dangerous, but doesn't have MMO parts such as GW2.

- ELEX 2: Mar 1 - A black horse? It also can generate some strong force within open world crpg fans.

I think the first half of the month is a lost cause, I wouldn't spend a cent on any MMO-related marketing. The most safest release date would be around the beginning of the second half, around Feb 20-22 maybe (Feb 22 is Tuesday, the usual patch/release day)? D2 is very strong on sexy sci-fi aesthetic and looter-shooter action, but it should be safe to promo a fashionable and well known fantasy counterpart.

2 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

I mean, looking at their EoD trailers, any marketing would have a deep focus on skiffing and fishing... Which is ok for us but I don't see any new potential players seeing an ad and saying "Fishing?! I'm installing this kitten now!"

Yeah I don't think a general marketing blast to bring in new players that focuses on EOD would be wise. I think a good 2-3 minute trailer just to spark interest of new players that is well put together (No crappy CG trailers like the EOD trailer) kind of similar to their old manifesto (ArenaNet's MMO Manifesto - YouTube) trailer may do the trick..  

15 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Yeah I don't think a general marketing blast to bring in new players that focuses on EOD would be wise. I think a good 2-3 minute trailer just to spark interest of new players that is well put together (No crappy CG trailers like the EOD trailer) kind of similar to their old manifesto (ArenaNet's MMO Manifesto - YouTube) trailer may do the trick..  

This is one of the ads I've seen. Thinks it gets across some of the good points about the game.

Do they spend anything on marketing at all I wonder? I think their marketing team is long due for an evaluation if that's the case😅

I say that mostly because I haven't seen anything much aside from what's been had in their streams. 😔

Pof and hot had more of a hype train I feel, maybe LS leading into that helped as well🤔

Edited by Serephen.3420
  • Confused 1

On 1/12/2022 at 6:01 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

^Sounds like a robot.  Lol.

It does, but that's just because the guy's thing is using TTS, but the actual content of the AD gets across the good selling points: no subscription, lots of story and content, great art, upcoming big expansion.

• Thanks 1