Gw2 is its own worst enemy

Ok,

so apparently we are a little over a month away from an expansion.

but you wouldn't even know it.

we have seen only teaser trailers and trailers for zones and class trailers.

All of which were tiny lil snippets that would invite no one new to play this AMAZING game.

Why have you guys not figured this out yet. 

GW2 has:

great combat: but you cannot tell that from the trailer

(also why don't u have an ingame option to choose from tab targeting or action thats obvious so people know it exists!!!

You have been told time and time again you hav the best mounts but No one who doesn't already play the game knows 

now we are a month away (supposedly) from an expansion

still no release date

there isn't anything that compare to a ffxiv trailer, kitten or even and elder scroll trailer.

ive met gw2 players who didn't even know we have an expansion coming out. 

This studios biggest problem is commitment. 
You consistently leave your player base in the dark. If your player base is unaware of the games future so will prospective players.

now dont get me wrong as a person who follows along very closely im excited for eod. But i have to put in the work to be excited because you dont do a good job of keeping us hype with the things you release.

Do better. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I agree, but I look at the promotional stuff for EoD and it looks like an almost complete lack of budget for marketing that is the problem.

But that being said I'm not sure why there's not way more of the stuff that costs very little like what we've had thus far. It's starting to look like the date might slip to later in the year because it feels like the hype train broke down.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Yttris.2945 said:

People could possibly be passing on GW2 as a whole and have either moved on elsewhere or stay while waiting for GW3.

Doubt we're ever going to get GW3. If we do, it's probably 10+ years away from now.

33 minutes ago, dace.8019 said:

I agree, but I look at the promotional stuff for EoD and it looks like an almost complete lack of budget for marketing that is the problem.

Arenanet has always had quite a different approach to marketing its games and to be absolutely fair - it's the worst by far in the Big Five. I REALLY and TRULY hope that Anet hires proper marketing people to actually market the great things that Guild Wars 2 has to offer! 🙂

• Like 6

Most...actually all of the promotional content released for EoD has been vastly subpar and insulting to the game's credibility.  These little zone reveals are basically just snip reels that any teenager can do in his dad's copy of Premiere.  They're not compelling, and I imagine from a prospective newcomer, the video gets skipped within seconds out of boredom and tarnishes expectations.  They make it look like Anet is either not taking themselves seriously or are hacks.  If it can't be done with the care that elevates the product, it just shouldn't exist, period.  Silence is better than indolent mumbling.  Of all times that they NEED to be upping the ante, now is it.  MMOs are dying; worthy competition are closing in for the kill, but apparently they didn't get that memo.

GW2 is bespoke, with unique art and presentation styles that lend a certain touch.  It actually worked phenomenally at initial release.  It set their stage and hooked people.  But not only are they not doubling down on it, they're just not trying to consider the fact that they will always be the 5th wheel in this genre if they don't take marketing seriously.

Edited by Borked.6824
  • Like 9
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Borked.6824 said:

Most...actually all of the promotional content released for EoD has been vastly subpar and insulting to the game's credibility.  These little zone reveals are basically just snip reels that any teenager can do in his dad's copy of Premiere.  They're not compelling, and I imagine from a prospective newcomer, the video gets skipped within seconds out of boredom and tarnishes expectations.  They make it look like Anet is either not taking themselves seriously or are hacks.  If it can't be done with the care that elevates the product, it just shouldn't exist, period.  Silence is better than indolent mumbling.  Of all times that they NEED to be upping the ante, now is it.  MMOs are dying; worthy competition are closing in for the kill, but apparently they didn't get that memo.

GW2 is bespoke, with unique art and presentation styles that lend a certain touch.  It actually worked phenomenally at initial release.  It set their stage and hooked people.  But not only are they not doubling down on it, they're just not trying to consider the fact that they will always be the 5th wheel in this genre if they don't take marketing seriously.

What is the name of the worthy competition?

• Confused 3

13 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yea but then your line about worthy competition closing in for the kill make no sence  mate.

Most of those people went to similar mmos like ff14 for example.

That just reinforces my point that Anet aren't trying hard enough.  Getting bested by a visual novel game.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Then maybe make a point first that can be reinforced so we can talk about it instead of vague doom and gloom sentences mate.

He did, you just refuse to accept it.

WoW is dying and FFXIV is sucking up all the players and not GW2. In fact a lot of high end PvE people have quit GW2 for FFXIV too. You have to do a spectacularly bad job for an asian MMO to do better on the western market than your product. GW2 is falling behind and EoD is anything but promising.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, witcher.3197 said:

He did, you just refuse to accept it.

WoW is dying and FFXIV is sucking up all the players and not GW2. In fact a lot of high end PvE people have quit GW2 for FFXIV too. You have to do a spectacularly bad job for an asian MMO to do better on the western market than your product. GW2 is falling behind and EoD is anything but promising.

So ff14 is the worthy competition closing in for the kill?

Cant say I agree could not even get past the base game in that one.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

17 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Nah, FF14 is not going for the kill. They kept their formula, and their formula attracted more of the wow reffuges. Its a good game in some aspects (like instance content)  and worst one in other aspect (open world).  Even ESO had an expansion released  at the same time of the wow debacle and it didnt attracted the same numbers of players. 

What amaze me is how FF14 do their marketing. Their trailers are far superior and generate a lot hype in their playerbase. Meanwhile the bubbles and rainbow EoD trailer  had to many mixed reactions. In a personal take, i think the Eod teaser was better than the trailer.

I know that anet dont have blizzard market Bombardment, but i remember that one month before shadowland release, each week they had something to "hype"... trailer, scenes, lofi music, art.... they went with everything. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alkariel.5670 said:

Nah, FF14 is not going for the kill. They kept their formula, and their formula attracted more of the wow reffuges. Its a good game in some aspects (like instance content)  and worst one in other aspect (open world).  Even ESO had an expansion released  at the same time of the wow debacle and it didnt attracted the same numbers of players. 

What amaze me is how FF14 do their marketing. Their trailers are far superior and generate a lot hype in their playerbase. Meanwhile the bubbles and rainbow EoD trailer  had to many mixed reactions. In a personal take, i think the Eod teaser was better than the trailer.

I know that anet dont have blizzard market Bombardment, but i remember that one month before shadowland release, each week they had something to "hype"... trailer, scenes, lofi music, art.... they went with everything. 

Well to be fair still over a month to go so who is to say Anet wont have the same marketing tactic each week before EoD release?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well to be fair still over a month to go so who is to say Anet wont have the same marketing tactic each week before EoD release?

they took time off for the christmas break with a post that said see you in the new year.

There has been zero communication since.

but thats barely the point!

this is the time to hype the game up. 
no be silent.

this is something they do regularly and its stupid.

there is tons of things they can talk about 

they said they are revamping the rewards system..  no info

they could detail strikes so new players know what they are

they could give raiders some hope that they plan on adding more raids

its like they have no plans and are just winging it 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Then maybe make a point first that can be reinforced so we can talk about it instead of vague doom and gloom sentences mate.

Its shortsighted on their part. Strike while the iron is hot, most people have no clue about GW2. There has never been a better time to introduce them to it. Final fantasy wont hold the wow crowd this i know, they only flocked there because of it was said to be a wow type of game. But sadly many wow players found out , myself included its far to slow for many tastes, and story driven is good, but not when it slogs along.  WoW had the best mix of story and action, GW2 dont have the deep story arcs WoW or FF has but it has good enough arcs and phenomenal action to satisfy many wow players.  They missed the boat on this, as a wow player they could have attracted millions esp with an xpac on the horizon.  

• Like 5

Fact is that WoW and FFXIV both have traditional MMO gameplay which is sluggish boring and it feels ancient. I can't stand those games. Especially if you come from 2000 games like God of War, Devil May Cry etc. Never understood why most MMOs feel so sluggish. That said, both those companies have multi billion budgets and can display huge ads. I remember back in 2019 while in Tokyo, Japan there were huge FFXIV banners in Shibuya, no one could miss it. Also, FF is a very well known franchise, I played most of their games (single player games). GW2 lost its momentum about 2 years after the initial release and got a bit hype for Heart of Thorns which they couldn't keep. It is niche and seemingly they simply don't have the budget for a huge marketing campaign. Just look at the trailer. The quality is from a 2000s CGI trailer, nothing more.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

I think it is only fair to give them credit for trying. They are organising these EoD streams sometimes, did put out one trailer a year and organised a couple open beta events.

This is at least something, and I think they learned to communicate with they player base bit better.

The problem is they are not reaching out to new/potential players at all. They focus on very specific features which probably doesn’t interest new player. Like who cares about boats and fishing whilst then elite specs are just missing flavour? Apart from maybe the mechanist it is really hard to say what each one of them is all about from an outsider perspective.

I can see their business model is all about luring in new players via lack of subscription fee as opposed to marketing. But nowadays I think people are used to investing in games so not many specifically look for free games. If anything it being free may make it seem bad. But that’s besides the main point ofc.

So there will not be any further hype prior to release I think they just don’t invest in that kind of stuff anymore

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Sorry but it really doesn't matter whether you agree or not. You're just 1 customer, and millions are choosing FFXIV over GW2.

Wouldn't say FFXIV is killing GW2 tbh, but it's certainly overshadowing it in the eyes of potential new players coming from WoW, and several new MMOs are on the horizon. Most of the current GW2 audience might be here to stay but an MMO without new players is a dying one. 

We needed a strong expansion to get back on track but EoD is just nostalgia bait, so far not even a good one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

These posts keep popping up and I wonder what the underlying concern is from posters and commenters.

It appears to be, in part, driven by wanting 'more players' in GW2.

So, if you were a game company and wanted to help build the community (aka increase the active and happy playerbase) what would be very easy ways to do that?  It is actually the thing GW2 is already doing.

By cross-promoting the game with Content Creators Anet is tapping into multiple streams of community engagement.  This helps promote the game to new players and keeps existing players engaged.  It may be as simple as retweeting a community post, or giving content creators Gems and Bundles to give away.  It can be as in depth as partnering with community driven events such as Guild Hall Beetle Racing, FashionWars events, Community Day Events/Marches etc.

I feel that, by investing in the people and content creators who are already broadcasting the message of GW2 that Anet is marketing to the people that they want to play the game. and doing so in a cost effective strategy.

Could Anet be doing more, cause, yes, more is always more, but, consider the player who buys the game cause they saw a banner ad on the New York Times website (or some other paid ad placement site).  Odds are, they won't stay engaged if there isn't a community they connect with.  We see this all the time with game/expac launches where a game will spike massively, and within weeks/months the population dives back down to typical numbers.

That banner ad doesn't provide the gateway to the GW2 community that content creators do.  Invest in the community and the game will grow.  Invest in marketing and you will make a few bucks.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3