Remove the fishing mini game

I have had some problems catching fish -- apparently the Ascalonian fish are much faster than the Canthan ones, as they had far wider bars to cover and my slider was just about fish-bar sized and much slower than the fish -- but I feel excited to keep working on it.  The games where you have to just stare at your bobber waiting to hit the interact button at some random moment so you can't chat with anyone or look at anything but that spot on the screen?  The ones where you barely have to pay attention, but still can't give attention to anything else?  Those are the ones that make me hate fishing.

I think this mechanic might need some tuning, though I'm reserving judgement until I've fully mastered it and gotten higher fishing power.  But for me it's far superior to keeping my hand on the mouse to click a pixel at a random moment.

edit 02-06-2023 Since I keep getting pings for reaction to this post, an update:  I learned how to fish, got CSWAMM, got masteries up so some of the issues I mention and I ended up liking fishing a lot more once I got better slider bar control though I haven't fished much since getting the title.  If the reactions are about my boredom with bobber staring, I stand by that.

Edited by Donari.5237
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

No. AFK fishing is one of the worst things to ever plague MMOs and if a games going to implement it that way I'd rather it was never added at all. Archeage ocean fishing was the first one to do it right and this version is pretty close to that style. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

That's just the theme of this expansion. Make everything as annoying as possible. Players can't run out of content when they're too busy fighting the ui or trying to decipher a poorly designed puzzle game. 

Skiffs are annoying to use, fishing is annoying to use, the jade bot is annoying to use between the batteries and controlling it, and only having good use of it in particular areas.

I don't know. I had low expectations going into this but it's just one thing after another. But hey, the maps look cool and they checked a lot of nostalgia boxes between particular story beats and the location. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

1 minute ago, Bast.7253 said:

That's just the theme of this expansion. Make everything as annoying as possible. Players can't run out of content when they're too busy fighting the ui or trying to decipher a poorly designed puzzle game. 

Skiffs are annoying to use, fishing is annoying to use, the jade bot is annoying to use between the batteries and controlling it, and only having good use of it in particular areas.

I don't know. I had low expectations going into this but it's just one thing after another. But hey, the maps look cool and they checked a lot of nostalgia boxes between particular story beats and the location. 

I wouldnt say the skiff is hard to use. But yes, the jade bot feels needlessly restricted with batteries and the low number of charges.

• Like 5

I have to disagree. I really like it alot.  I play World of wacraft and fishing in dat game is boring. i falling a sleep sometimes because i need to listen splashing sound only but gw2 they make it so u have something to focus and u will not fall asleeping. 

Edited by Rendalmj.3152
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

I wish they would remove the mini-game control for fishing, but you can be sure it is too late for that.  Bummer, I was really looking forward to fishing in GW2.  Oh well, saving my mastery points to try the skiff and robots... 

i think maybe use mouse to move left and right rather than pressing 2 and 3 .....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Donari.5237 said:

I have had some problems catching fish -- apparently the Ascalonian fish are much faster than the Canthan ones, as they had far wider bars to cover and my slider was just about fish-bar sized and much slower than the fish -- but I feel excited to keep working on it.  The games where you have to just stare at your bobber waiting to hit the interact button at some random moment so you can't chat with anyone or look at anything but that spot on the screen?  The ones where you barely have to pay attention, but still can't give attention to anything else?  Those are the ones that make me hate fishing.

I think this mechanic might need some tuning, though I'm reserving judgement until I've fully mastered it and gotten higher fishing power.  But for me it's far superior to keeping my hand on the mouse to click a pixel at a random moment.

I agree completely. I think I know the game you're refering to and it's also one of my least favourite fishing mini games. Pushing 1 button then waiting for permission to push it again is not fun (I wouldn't even call it a mini game because you're not really doing anything) and it's even more annoying when you can't do anything else because you'll only have a second or two to push the button again or you'll have wasted your time and bait.

I knew from the preview Anet did that there would be more to fishing but I was still relieved to find that firstly getting a fish on the line always seems fairly quick so you're not stuck standing there waiting for long and secondly if you miss the bobber going it doesn't reset, you can just wait for next time, which means I can afford to chat and do other things while waiting without missing the fish.

I also like that there's more to catching a fish than just pushing the button. It's not my favourite fishing mini game and I've found it difficult a couple of the times I've tried it (but I might just need more practice) but at least you're actually doing something.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2

Fishing is announced: My god this mini game will be boring

Fishing is released: My god this mini game require my attention

This forum never fail to make me facepalm at it's complaints and lousy suggestions

Edited by Ultramex.1506
  • Like 11
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 6

It's a matter of take it or leave it. Do what you like.

What I don't like is that we have to do it as part of the storyline and that there is a whole line of achievements in things I hardly find interesting myself: Fishing and Skiffs. Really? Achievements in Leisure subjects??

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

This forrum never fail to make me facepalm at it's complaints and lousy suggestions

😞 i itry make suggestion i sorry

19 minutes ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

This forrum never fail to make me facepalm at it's complaints and lousy suggestions

Who ever asked for it to be a mini-game? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4

19 minutes ago, Rendalmj.3152 said:

look at you and your previous post you are complaining yourself lmao so funny..... the mini game isnt even hard and doesnt take 5 seconds

The only reason people come to this forum is to complain ha ha.  But yeah, I love fishing... but not this. That is what I have Ultima Online for. Best fishing in any game. 😎

• Confused 1