Anet can you make pistols viable?

While I have a thief and an engi neither have a viable spec with pistols. Engi dont even use them they just equip them and never shoot them, just go into kit spam!  Really disappointed thief has no viable pistol spec either, its rifle deadeye, staff DD, with pistols as an afterthought for those few times you cant be stacked. Even warrior dont have a viable option for main weapon pistol. I really want to use pistols since you didnt give ranger a rifle or pistols and untamed is a trainwreck because of hammer, I had hoped my thief or engi could make use of them , but sadly no. 

Edited by Artemis.8034
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

OH pistol for thief is actually a really good choice for many weapon sets, MH pistol could use some redesigns (along with the dual wielding system in general) but at least P/D is decent (to some degree).

As for engineer... let's put it this way: why A-Net made a weapon that fires exploding bullets (with sound effects, splash damage and everything) but still decided to not make these shots count as explosions (in spite of this profession having an entire spec based around it) is beyond me.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Tails.9372 said:

OH pistol for thief is actually a really good choice for many weapon sets, MH pistol could use some redesigns (along with the dual wielding system in general) but at least P/D is decent (to some degree).

As for engineer... let's put it this way: why A-Net made a weapon that fires exploding bullets (with sound effects, splash damage and everything) but still decided to not make these shots count as explosions (in spite of this profession having an entire spec based around it) is beyond me.

That is beyond weird.

2 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Also just to remind everyone, the engie pistol fires 50% slower than Anet says it fires.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Thief actually uses pistol a lot. Pistol/dagger Core and Daredevil is a thing in PvP. Pistol/dagger Deadeye is the best solo build if you wanna face Strong singular mobs. And double Pistol is so good at leveling, it pretty much invalidates all other weapon till 80. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Well, common to Lucky Noobs and Snowcrows maybe?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, misterman.1530 said:

Well, common to Lucky Noobs and Snowcrows maybe?

Heal scrapper is also meta in WVW.

It's undeniable mechanist is the most common engineer right now in PVE, where pistols was the default weaponchoice for condi up until a change to mace such that J-drive with maces is competitive (though less damage).

Edited by Infusion.7149

- Engineer : condition and condi-alac mechanist meta builds use pistols, main-hand and off-hand

- Necromancer : condition and condi-quickness harbinger meta builds use main-hand pistol

- Warrior : power dps bladesworn meta build uses pistol

- Mesmer : condi-quickness chrono and condi-dps mirage meta builds use off-hand pistol

- Thief : boon daredevil and condi-alac specter meta builds use pistol as secondary weapon set for extra CC

So all professions that can use pistol use them in PvE as part of their meta builds.

That's not even considering PvP/WvW builds which i'm not familiar with, and all other variations of PvE builds that players can come up with.

All in all, pistol seems to be in a very good place !

Edited by Joraan Adenard.2061
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

20 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Umm you dont actually really use the pistol if you look at the rotation logs you use bomb grenade and mortar kits, not pistol. Pistol is filler.  Why even have a weapon equipped you dont use as  primary damage. Maybe you people dont understand what i said. You dont use pistol as a primary damage weapon, you use kits. I rather shoot pistols than have to use grenades and bombs, lets face it shooting looks better than carrying a bomb, it aesthetically pleasing.  Shooting dual wielded handguns is not viable in any content outside of open world

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Umm you dont actually really use the pistol if you look at the rotation logs you use bomb grenade and mortar kits, not pistol. Pistol is filler.  Why even have a weapon equipped you dont use as  primary damage. Maybe you people dont understand what i said. You dont use pistol as a primary damage weapon, you use kits. I rather shoot pistols than have to use grenades and bombs, lets face it shooting looks better than carrying a bomb, it aesthetically pleasing.  Shooting dual wielded handguns is not viable in any content outside of open world

So what?  The same can be said of rotations from necro, guardian, etc...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Looking at the first link:

Priority

1. Shrapnel grenade

2. Pistol 4 -> pistol 3
3. ...
4 Pistol 2 

Of course it is viable. Take your thief to the Dps golem and do your normal Power Dps rotation. Equip Double Pistol press 3.  Do 15% less Dps while simplifying your rotation an looking good. If you for some reason don't get enough might, Unload isn't even a Dps loss.

And Pistol Dagger did so much golem Dps they nerfed it.

If you wanna have fun in the game don't look at optimized rotations.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Pistols are fine on their default classes.

I am very disappointed that Warriors, the class that specializes in dual wield weapons, doesn't have a main hand pistol. Offhand pistol is quite useless as much as Guardian's offhand sword. They don't work well with what is already available in their default weapon selection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2022 at 7:18 AM, Infusion.7149 said:

Condi Mech can run Mace instead of MH pistol, Condi Alac can as well if I'm correct.

In case of Heal Scrapper MH Pistol is used because there is no other MH only weapon for Engi, since you run Shield on hScrapper you are stuck with MH Pistol.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Joraan Adenard.2061 said:

- Engineer : condition and condi-alac mechanist meta builds use pistols, main-hand and off-hand

This is not his point about engi pistol. 

Yes you put mh but almost you dont use it. Kits always. Even autoaatacks are grenade skill 1. 

Engi pistol mh skills, especially autoattacks are too lame. I hate to use multiple kits. I changed to mace on my condi mechanist and I relieved now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Suyheuti.1732 said:

This is not his point about engi pistol. 

Yes you put mh but almost you dont use it. Kits always. Even autoaatacks are grenade skill 1.

That's the point of kits.  Always has been since launch.  Engineer weapons are balanced around kits.  No other class has kits.  Elementalist attunements are the closest thing to kits which is why elementalist's other skills end up being more utility in nature than damaging.

I am a engi main and Thief is a close second.  I have always used dual pistols on engi as I have mainly played condi builds.  They're not perfect but Pistol 2, 3, and 4 deal good damage and 5 is nice breakbar, just the auto attack sucks.  As for thief, dual Pistol unload spam got really boring for me but I have recently started playing pistol/Dagger in open world and I find it fun and very strong.

Maybe pistols aren't the top of the meta but they're not in the worst state.

• Like 1