SEASON ONE IS BACK!

Gripz.5683

It's out. We're about to find out about the tuning. Based on the first instance it's somewhere between core and EoD. They don't deal quite that much damage, but can take at least a little bit of a beating. I'm running a bladesworn on my first run through and some veterans actually survived a fully charged dragonslash. 

I imagine the tuning will also be made for core specs. As it's part of the f2p experience.

Edited by Gripz.5683
  • Like 3

After Starting a new account, I was really hoping that A-Net would have added core mastery points to Season 1. Starting out you don't have great gear and have to craft it(ascended). On top of that 1-25 fractals, it's really hard to get people to do the required things for low-level achieves or get a group together to do them. Putting in core mastery points into Season 1 would relieve some of these problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season for sure! 

It's been what 8/9 years? I need a refresh on that story and it always bothered me that I couldn't replay Escape From Lion's Arch if I ever made a new character and wanted to do a full Story run. 

That instance was insane!

I'm pleasantly surprised how well this works in story journal format. I didn't exactly have fond memories of the releases back then (the spread-out nature made the story difficult to follow for me, especially since I missed a crucial week every now and then), but this was actually fun.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

I'm pleasantly surprised how well this works in story journal format. I didn't exactly have fond memories of the releases back then (the spread-out nature made the story difficult to follow for me, especially since I missed a crucial week every now and then), but this was actually fun.

Same here! It was very well put together as a full fledged episode. I only experienced battle for lions arch, so I didn’t remember how the story format went then, but this was done like it was meant to be in story journal from the beginning! Very excited for the remaining episodes!

• Like 4

On 4/19/2022 at 4:13 PM, mythical.6315 said:

They a use CC frequently if that’s what you are asking about. 

No not what I was talking about. I was talking about how regular Cantha enemies have 50,000 hp and do large damage compared to where your average player is after finishing core tyria. 

If this content is meant for people with core builds coming from core tyria doing their 1k dps it won't work out.  People will complain of the difficulty jump.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Confused 7

48 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

No. Regular Cantha enemies have 50,000 hp.  

If this content is meant for people with core builds coming from core tyria doing 1k dps it won't work out.

Well there are no DPS checks so it doesn't really matter.  I did notice some inconsistencies among a few several of the veteran mobs that felt like elites but all of the other mobs felt normal

• Confused 2

I really enjoyed the episode. It does feel a bit dated, but not terribly so. It was pieced together coherently and wow, we finally have a real introduction for Braham and Rox. New players will no longer be confused who the Dragon's Watch characters are when they reach season 2, because they'll have met everyone in season 1. I am pleased for that reason alone. Also found the achievements fun for the most part, and not too difficult to complete. Some of them helped flesh out the events of the episode nicely. Great work overall.

Bobby Stein mentioned there would be some new elements in the s1 reintroduction to fill things out or make transitions more functional. I'm not sure how much was new in this episode, but there were several lore notes that mention Icebrood Saga characters like Crecia Stoneglow and Efram Greetsglory. That was interesting to see those seeds planted a little earlier. Makes those characters feel more cemented in the world/lore.

I am curious how it would feel to finish the personal story and transition into this. Might be a little awkward?

One thing I'm sad to hear though is that they're cutting a lot of content from the original season 1 and just focusing on the parts about Scarlet - all of the Southsun Cove content, for one. It's a great shame because I never got to play that section originally, and I was looking forward to doing it with this reintroduction. 😞

Edited by Zola.6197
  • Like 4

It is nice to see it back. I have played from release until end of 2013. Then I came back in 2019. So I missed the last parts of the season 1 - especially that one were Taimi was introduced. (I like her.) The ingam recap is bad. And the 3 hours long video ... a bit too long. I want to explore this myself by playing.

My guess is that this is in preparation for the Steam release. Players on Steam are very picky eaters. Small bugs that interrupt the playing (crashes) ... and such stuff with the inconsistency in the story (season1 missing until they now started to restore it) - might get the Steam forums spammed with "do not play" threads. Such a hassle - but that is how the majority is there.

There are a ton of other games and people nowadays have low patience in general. After speed rushing through the core story a lot might "warn" others - without season 1. But this problem now will be solved.

Looking forward to this and the new players Steam might bring into the game.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Zola.6197 said:

I really enjoyed the episode. It does feel a bit dated, but not terribly so. It was pieced together coherently and wow, we finally have a real introduction for Braham and Rox. New players will no longer be confused who the Dragon's Watch characters are when they reach season 2, because they'll have met everyone in season 1. I am pleased for that reason alone. Also found the achievements fun for the most part, and not too difficult to complete. Some of them helped flesh out the events of the episode nicely. Great work overall.

Bobby Stein mentioned there would be some new elements in the s1 reintroduction to fill things out or make transitions more functional. I'm not sure how much was new in this episode, but there were several lore notes that mention Icebrood Saga characters like Crecia Stoneglow and Efram Greetsglory. That was interesting to see those seeds planted a little earlier. Makes those characters feel more cemented in the world/lore.

I am curious how it would feel to finish the personal story and transition into this. Might be a little awkward?

One thing I'm sad to hear though is that they're cutting a lot of content from the original season 1 and just focusing on the parts about Scarlet - all of the Southsun Cove content, for one. It's a great shame because I never got to play that section originally, and I was looking forward to doing it with this reintroduction. 😞

Its not confirmed that Southsun Cove is getting cut entirely, just that its getting downsized. I don't remember the source but I remember reading recently that all three Southsun epsiodes would be merged into one, which is why Canach and Ellen's story had to be cut, so we'll see.

Those two were mostly part of a "Return to Southsun" type thing that was basically filler.

Also, there's hints that we'll be seeing Southsun Cove again in LWS6 and the devs might've moved the major story beats there since the past events will no longer be canon.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, somehow I never get much gaming time on Tuesdays (not for the same reason each week, but something always seems to come up). But as weird as it might sound I'm still enjoying knowing that it's out and especially that I don't need to worry about missing a day because it's not going anywhere. (Although I'm hoping I'll get to play it this evening.)

My free time has always been limited and unpredictable, it makes playing most MMOs totally impractical and means I often had to pick bits of each release to prioritise in Season 1 and accept that I'd miss the rest. I don't think I realised until the start of Season 2 how stressful that sometimes got to be but ever since Anet switched to permanent releases I've really enjoyed being able to take my time with it. I'm really looking forward to being able to play Season 1 at my own pace, taking my time with it.

• Like 3

Going to take the opportunity to play other games for a few months, I think. Not that a rehashed S1 is necessarily bad, I just don't have much interest in revisiting old content again. Especially after already doing it in the events last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

12 minutes ago, ArjukKagrim.6049 said:

It was not accessible last year, so you got me interested in how you could play it then. Do you have a time machine?

Some of the LWS1 story missions had been reintroduced in 2020 for replay via the Scrying Pool in the Eye of the North. Also, the Twisted Marionette instance, which originates from LWS1 as well.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

Kinda like the idea to have it back as I couldn't experience like a half of it myself due to private life forcing a break back then. However they should have made the titles unobtainable because it devalues them and makes them nothing special anymore. This way you could easily see who plays since start and who doesn't. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Cynder.2509 said:

Kinda like the idea to have it back as I couldn't experience like a half of it myself due to private life forcing a break back then. However they should have made the titles unobtainable because it devalues them and makes them nothing special anymore. This way you could easily see who plays since start and who doesn't. 

You could only see it if they happened to choose to show that title. Also it doesn't really show they were there from the start, just that they happened to be there for that specific release and chose to complete the achievement which gave that title.

Someone who started in January 2013, made a charr or norn and helped refugees 75 times because they were in the starter maps, then quit before getting to level 30 because they didn't understand the game and were just going around the same maps over and over would have the Volunteer title. Meanwhile someone who had been playing since the first betas but happened to miss those 2 weeks, or didn't click on 75 sign posts because they were busy leading groups through Fractals and helping new players get equipment from dungeons wouldn't have it, even if they'd played every day before and after.

(No I'm not either of those players, they're both examples I made up, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are people who resemble both of them.)

Besides how long it's been since you bought the game, or even how much time you've spent logged in, don't really mean anything. I've been here since day 1 and been online for over 7,000 hours and there's people who bought the game last year who know the mechanics better than I do and have completed things I've never done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ben K.6238 said:

Going to take the opportunity to play other games for a few months, I think. Not that a rehashed S1 is necessarily bad, I just don't have much interest in revisiting old content again. Especially after already doing it in the events last year.

Yeh I had the same feeling, it was like didn't we just do this?  I don't have the sentimental feelings that older players have since I was not playing gw2 for the original release of season one.  It's also a little weird in timeline playing as a revenant lol.  It's easy achieves, I like seeing people's excitement, it does feel a little dated but not bad.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1