Ingame voice chat communication

1 hour ago, LSD.4673 said:

How on earth did Discord become the standard VoIP program? Vent, Teamspeak -- both lightweight, good quality programs for years. 

My guess would be $$$. For vent, ts, mumble, etc. you need to run your own server or pay someone else to run the server. I think at least one of them also requires more payment if you want group sizes above a certain size for your voice channel.

Then there is "ease of use". For Discord you just provide an invite link. For the others you usually have to an address and sometimes a password.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

For what, posting gifs? If you're not gen z, what on earth do you get out of Discord?

gen x reporting in.
posting gifs is fun.
also discord lets you set up stickies and share other useful stuff. it's basically a voice client and a forum wrapped in one thing.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

No ty. Getting flashbacks from fortnite 👀 bailed out of there pretty fast. 

if they added this, it would become a new requirement to join squads in all gamemodes. Which would drive away players who doesn’t want to talk, having language barriers and ppl who prefer chatting. There are plenty options for ppl wanting to communicate with voice already. Use them. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LSD.4673 said:

For what, posting gifs? If you're not gen z, what on earth do you get out of Discord?

I’m assuming that you haven’t been on a populated and highly utilized discord server. It’s not a gen z thing as people of all ages use discord. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

How would you report (because an official in-game voice chat must have that function) violations? Either verbal abuse or adverising unallowed stuff?

There would be no chat for mods to check, and I highly doubt that a recorded version of every single spoken conversation would be saved anywhere. Also, even if they are saved, it would be a terribly long and boring job for mods to listen to each one, compared to just reading written chats.

Edited by Susy.7529
  • Like 5

Dont know about ingame voice tbh.

when i see what happens in other games i dont want to chill in open world and have someone suddenly come across streaming hitler speech around.

pvp and wvw would prolly end up in a flamefest like in other pvp games where there is hard calling names and players who humiliate others etc. One would need to mute it anyways.

i rather would like to see anet to work on updating the engine to use our cpus properly and that before i grow old and have to retire from the game for aging reasons…

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SlateSloan.3654 said:

Dont know about ingame voice tbh.

when i see what happens in other games i dont want to chill in open world and have someone suddenly come across streaming hitler speech around.

pvp and wvw would prolly end up in a flamefest like in other pvp games where there is hard calling names and players who humiliate others etc. One would need to mute it anyways.

i rather would like to see anet to work on updating the engine to use our cpus properly and that before i grow old and have to retire from the game for aging reasons…

Well considering you can only talk to your own team now in wvw you know who to blame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

I’m assuming that you haven’t been on a populated and highly utilized discord server. It’s not a gen z thing as people of all ages use discord. 

I have. It's awful. The joy of muting the resident music bot. The wonder at a chat application eating 400MB of RAM. The fun of having .gifs knocking chat text out of whack. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

12 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

How on earth did Discord become the standard VoIP program? Vent, Teamspeak -- both lightweight, good quality programs for years. 

Now we have the bloatware that is Discord. Emojis, gifs, bots playing music. Awful.

In-game voice chat would be fantastic, but the server costs, programming involved and the people who would inevitably stick with Discord (and the lack of investment in the game by NCSoft/Anet) means it will never happen. Plus they lack the mods required to deal with their bot problem, never mind an inevitable racist voice spammer problem.

Because it’s not just a VoIP program. In fact, it’s the best platform for communites to gather online right now. This “bloatware” you speak of is entirely optional if you strictly only want voice comms for you and your “vet gamer” friends.

Also, what computer are you running if discord isn’t ‘lightweight’ enough? Sorry but you sound like the old grandpa that yells at kids who are just having fun doing their own thing… Like, just dont use Discord then.

Edited by HowlKamui.5120
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, LSD.4673 said:

Now we have the bloatware that is Discord. Emojis, gifs, bots playing music. Awful.

In-game voice chat would be fantastic, but the server costs, programming involved and the people who would inevitably stick with Discord (and the lack of investment in the game by NCSoft/Anet) means it will never happen. Plus they lack the mods required to deal with their bot problem, never mind an inevitable racist voice spammer problem.

Might it be that it became the standard for game chat because it has all these extra functions?

And as for lightweight, discord runs in a browser if you want, and you can even run it in your phone. That seems pretty lightweight to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/7/2022 at 1:14 AM, Susy.7529 said:

How would you report (because an official in-game voice chat must have that function) violations? Either verbal abuse or adverising unallowed stuff?

There would be no chat for mods to check, and I highly doubt that a recorded version of every single spoken conversation would be saved anywhere. Also, even if they are saved, it would be a terribly long and boring job for mods to listen to each one, compared to just reading written chats.

how do you report anything even in chat only? the report function is so miniscule and outdated that its not even funny anymore

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Ouch. Someone's been stung enough to raise a strawman. "Vet gamer", what even is that?

It's a voice chat program. Calling it a "platform for online communities" is hilarious "brand ambassador" speak. 

I was always under the impression that the voice feature of discord was a nice plus, often used since it's basicly free (yet the quality imo is way inferior to actual voice chat programs. Main reason for most is probably that you can basicly set up a free guild/community hub that makes organizing events and getting in touch with each other easier.

But maybe that's just me actually having tried and using discord instead of going on a crusade based on hearsay?

• Like 1

I am 56, technically not a boomer by a whole year.  I never liked TS or Vent, they were way too complicated.  Mumble was ok, and I was skeptical about leaving it for Discord, but within a week of using Discord I was a convert.  My guilds tend to communicate in text far more than in voice.  Discord provides so much flexibility with that, and intuitive use of text and voice channels, that my long-time WoW rp guild finally ditched our forum to just use Discord.  The only thing it's worse at is ease of looking at old conversations.  It does help that I have two monitors so I can keep Discord visible while playing fullscreen games.

As to ANet developing voice chat in game, I'm fervently against that.  It's not nearly as simple on a technical basis as it might seem, and I don't think it's in their skill set just in terms of providing consistently good quality audio across all the machines that would be running it, let alone finding ways to keep it user-friendly and within ToS.  Also, I simply don't want to hear constant non-immersive chatter, not to mention the instant harassment a female voice can receive.  New World has in-game audio.  I was in a beta, playing a female character with a piratical name, Jenny Fine.  I spoke up as part of the general players figuring things out discussion, and got a couple of male sounding voices admiring how fine I was indeed and following me around.  Dudes, I'm old enough to be a grandma, away with you.  I have almost never been harassed in games, and this minor level of it didn't bother me hugely , but proximity voice chat enabled it.  With Discord I choose who hears me and who I hear.

Discord has spent years refining what it does.  I can ignore the flashy extras -- I don't have Nitro -- while engaging meaningfully with decades-long friends, plus getting clear callouts in coordinated game fights, having voice to help explain game mechanics or HP gathering, etc.  All of you asking ANet for in-game voice?  Did you see what happened with templates, a technical design that should have been in their skillset?  Do you think you'd actually be happy with whatever they cobbled together?

I like ANet a lot.  I don't think I'd like the results of any attempt they made at in-game voice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1