Can someone explain these Pants? 🤔

Doggie.3184

1 minute ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

It's complicated: men and women have different expectations and standards of beauty, which causes the designers to make the skins look different between the sexes.

I see. Then males are expected to have blurry unpolished textures as their form of beauty. 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Can someone explain these pants?

Unfortunately, I can. They're ported from what the related NPCs wore at launch. As for the quality, I'd assume it's just as bad on the NPCs too. ArenaNet is terrified of the male butt (a lot of pants repeat the front texture on the back; it's kind of horrific once you notice it).

Lastly, for the stark difference between male/female styles: Sure would be nice if they're going to make two drastically different versions of the same armor piece that they implement the look for both genders. Can't tell you how many times I've shown someone a look and they tried it on their female character only for a neat pair of boots to turn into flats or a pair of slacks to inexplicably turn into three pieces of ribbon tied around the thighs. On the other hand, some of my male characters would look excellent in three pieces of ribbon and a pair of mystic booty shorts; get on it, ArenaNet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 11
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Unfortunately, I can. They're ported from what the related NPCs wore at launch. As for the quality, I'd assume it's just as bad on the NPCs too. ArenaNet is terrified of the male butt (a lot of pants repeat the front texture on the back; it's kind of horrific once you notice it).

I think it's also because on the NPCs neither of these would actually be seen because they're always worn with a robe over the top.

I'm assuming this is the medium armour version where, due to the way different armour weights are split up, the robe is part of the chest piece even though it's below the waist. On the light version (and I assume the heavy version) it's over the top of the leggings and covers them entirely and since NPCs always wear the full set together I suspect the leggings were designed as a kind of back-up so if a player managed to see under the robe for whatever reason they wouldn't be naked and didn't get the same degree of attention as something that would be visible.

It's something that probably should have been changed when they made them available as armour skins, but I suspect there wasn't a lot of time allotted to porting an existing skin, and I think changing how it looks might have required a different person to splitting the existing model into pieces.

(Personally I'm disappointed that I know the female version doesn't look like that on light armoured characters because it would be perfect for my elementalist. Both my elementalists actually, the male one would look good in them too.)

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I think it's also because on the NPCs neither of these would actually be seen because they're always worn with a robe over the top.

I'm assuming this is the medium armour version where, due to the way different armour weights are split up, the robe is part of the chest piece even though it's below the waist. On the light version (and I assume the heavy version) it's over the top of the leggings and covers them entirely and since NPCs always wear the full set together I suspect the leggings were designed as a kind of back-up so if a player managed to see under the robe for whatever reason they wouldn't be naked and didn't get the same degree of attention as something that would be visible.

It's something that probably should have been changed when they made them available as armour skins, but I suspect there wasn't a lot of time allotted to porting an existing skin, and I think changing how it looks might have required a different person to splitting the existing model into pieces.

(Personally I'm disappointed that I know the female version doesn't look like that on light armoured characters because it would be perfect for my elementalist. Both my elementalists actually, the male one would look good in them too.)

It is probably because the way the different bones for the 3D rigs are set up.

Medium has those attached to the coat for the trenchcoats' animation while light and heavy has them on the pants for light skirt/robes and heavy butt capes.

5 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Lastly, for the stark difference between male/female styles: Sure would be nice if they're going to make two drastically different versions of the same armor piece that they implement the look for both genders. Can't tell you how many times I've shown someone a look and they tried it on their female character only for a neat pair of boots to turn into flats or a pair of slacks to inexplicably turn into three pieces of ribbon tied around the thighs. On the other hand, some of my male characters would look excellent in three pieces of ribbon and a pair of mystic booty shorts; get on it, ArenaNet.

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Also to add to both of the above, is that they are originally designed for Norn, who for both lore and design reasons end up with more revealing armor sets typically.

I finally got around to previewing them in game and realised that because it's medium armour a lot of the chest pieces have at least a bit which hangs below the waist, so the end result is often not that revealing, it's mainly the gaps down the sides which show. I think it works well with the Marauder Jacket, the Elonian/Spearmarshal's Jerkin, Viper's Jerkin or the Whispers Secret Longvest. (Or the Funerary Jerkin, but I don't think I'd ever use that because of the weird giant wing on the back and the two on the chest.)

There's also some combinations which are certainly revealing but don't look as...I can't think of the word, but it looks more like an intentional outfit and not just a lack of clothing. One obvious choice (humans only) is the Assassin's Coat, but I think the Carapace Jerkin works well too, or the Nightmare Court Guise for a weird combo of lots of clothing that still shows a surprising amount of skin.

• Like 1

Easy. Games have traditionally been designed for - and by - guys that grew up with Frazetta and Royo sci-fi art. Female armor has pretty much never been functional. 

When kitten 2 came out Wal-Mart made them add more clothing to Julie, the lead character. Through a family connection we got an earlier master copy and it was pretty skimpy. My son really liked the game (and got an autographed copy from Levelord). 

13 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

I see. Then males are expected to have blurry unpolished textures as their form of beauty. 😞

I think what you are really asking is why dont it look skimpy on males. For the same reason my females cant have this bad A looking set  Witch's Outfit human male front - Witch's Outfit - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)  and are stuck with this fluff Witch's Outfit human female front - Witch's Outfit - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

Easy. Games have traditionally been designed for - and by - guys that grew up with Frazetta and Royo sci-fi art. Female armor has pretty much never been functional. 

When kitten 2 came out Wal-Mart made them add more clothing to Julie, the lead character. Through a family connection we got an earlier master copy and it was pretty skimpy. My son really liked the game (and got an autographed copy from Levelord). 

kitten 2?! Ha ha 

The game's name is not dirty in any way, shape, or form... the censoring on these forums is getting ridiculous ha ha

(It was a Heavy Metal game)

Gender-locked armors have always been dumb.

It doesn't just affect males in this game, but also Asura and Charr females, who wear the male versions of the armors and thus get such exciting options as "boring pants #1", "boring pants #2", and "boring pants #3" (on a race that's covered in fur and doesn't even need pants, to top it off.)

They even went to great extents to give male characters as few robes as possible because these look like dresses on female Asura and Charr and that wasn't considered lore-accurate. One of the few exceptions is the Twilight Arbor armor, which looks beautiful on either gender, and strangely enough the Raven Ceremonial armor looks just fine on Asura and Charr females, so I guess someone forgot to tick the "no fun for Charr" flag during development.

While ArenaNet is fairly progressive, sometimes they make some questionably conservative decisions, especially in regards to how characters are allowed to look.

@ OP: One thing to beware of is that the Raven Ceremonial Gown (leggings) aren't meant to be used alone. The chestpiece replaces the leggings entirely, so its likely the devs didn't think about how they should look anyway. There's other armor sets with the same problem, like T3 Asura cultural armor and Flame Legion armor, where the unused armor parts are just provided for completion's sake.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 2