Why would PvP players even buy the new xpac if there's no elite specs?

gerberlyfe.9736

If the savings from not spending development resources on elite specs is greater than the lost sales revenue from purely PvP players choosing to not buy an expansion then it is a net win, financially, for ANet.

That said, they may very well have options up their sleeves to generate revenue from PvPers.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

If the savings from not spending development resources on elite specs is greater than the lost sales revenue from purely PvP players choosing to not buy an expansion then it is a net win, financially, for ANet.

That said, they may very well have options up their sleeves to generate revenue from PvPers.

It's not just PvPers who want new specs/skills or weapons to open new ways to play their characters.

This whole thing is giving me post pof/IBS ptsd. It basically just looks like they are taking the current living world seasons putting them in one bundle and saying that's an expansion. 

I don't think many people will be happy with how this seems to be going. I want to hope for the best, but I feel this is going to be an uphill battle for them to prove that's it's not paying more for less of what we had.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

The announcement says the 'mini expansions' will include "new gameplay and combat features".

They haven't said what that means exactly, but it means there will be new abilities in some form. That might be elite specs or they might be moving away from that format (even players have been struggling to come up with hypothetical new elites that actually adds something), but there will be something.

Don't forget no one is being asked to buy the new expansion now, or even decide if they want it. It's not for sale yet and it's safe to assume we'll get a lot more info about what exactly is included by the time it is being sold. Even then no one has to buy it if they don't want it. You can keep playing the parts of the game you've already paid for without needing to pay more unless you want the new stuff too.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

I'm here for the combat-- gw2 always had terrible stories and writing, and EoD was the worst yet.

Why would I buy a new xpac if there are no new builds or classes, and I'm a PvP player?

Enlighten me.

Wait and see. I suspect there won't be anymore elite specs but there may be new reasons to buy expansions for PvP'ers. But no-one can enlighten you without knowing what these new expansions will contain in detail.

• Confused 4

13 hours ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

I'm here for the combat-- gw2 always had terrible stories and writing, and EoD was the worst yet.

Why would I buy a new xpac if there are no new builds or classes, and I'm a PvP player?

Enlighten me.

You don't, simple as that. 

If by some reason you like armor skins and expac has the armor skin you want... whatever.

Edited by stormemperor.3745

51 minutes ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

Have they ever stated that anything will be no more like, ever in the history of Tyria? 
They haven't said the raids are dead and yet here we are. 

Dungeons were ruled out.

But, this is a bit different anyway. This has no information on anything. If we assume that anything not said won’t be in it at this extremely early announcement, there will be nothing in the expansion at all - no collections, no achievements, no masteries, no elites, no rewards, no skins, no new features. They don’t mention it has a name - do we assume it won’t have one too?

I totally get the piling in on Anet given their form over the last 2-3 years, but at least wait until we know what is and isn’t being delivered before definitively ruling something out based on a vague announcement possibly releasing in a year or two’s time.

Focus more on feeding back what is wanted rather than reading into things prematurely. And if it doesn’t deliver, don’t buy it. I think a lot of us learned something from EoD and that was not to buy in to the hype.

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

They haven't said what that means exactly, but it means there will be new abilities in some form. That might be elite specs or they might be moving away from that format (even players have been struggling to come up with hypothetical new elites that actually adds something), but there will be something.

Then they should be really fast in mentioning in more detail what their plans for it are, because at this point we can only assume it's worth as much as the "expansion-level content" promises were for IBS.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Then they should be really fast in mentioning in more detail what their plans for it are, because at this point we can only assume it's worth as much as the "expansion-level content" promises were for IBS.

They never promised "expansion-level content" for the Icebrood Saga, some people just started parroting it as a fact after taking a single sentence out of context from an interview.

Edited by Sime.3681
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

On Teapot's stream Grouch remarked that there would be content for 'popular' game modes.

Last I checked PvP wasn't that popular...

Quite frankly PVP being unpopular is on Anet actively trying to kill anything vaguely competitive in the game. They never addressed issues and let them fester for years and here we are. It really feels like it is by design.
The whole shitshow probably started with the ESPORTS push while not having any development for PVP and after it failed because of it they dialed the development down even more like pinched maidens, "ooo people do not like PVP, lets putt all our money on Saturday morning cartoon story with no retention", while the most popular games on the market are PVP.
They don't want to learn that the PVP modes are their best retention in content droughts but need some attention .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

1. Update to sigils and runes

2. New amulets or add ring slots for further stat customization

3. look at old utilities/create missing elite skills from core

4. introduce new weapons for core game

5. could also do a new map each expansion

We're not going to get any new amulets because Anet listened to the crowd of simply deleting amulets instead of fixing them. Blame the community on that one. Support users only have ONE amulet to use, one. Power builds have ONE, maybe two. Condi is the only one that has MULTIPLE options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4