So, can we finally get rid of transmutation charges?

Gibson.4036

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That is definitely one of the troubles with outfits. ArenaNet likes their FOMO marketing, so you have a limited number of choices at any given time, and no idea when the ones you might like will be available again.

Also, $9 for an outfit to bandaid a character's look until endgame is pretty pricey.

You guys know you can use the same outfit on every character across the account you dont have to buy 1 for each character right?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

You guys know you can use the same outfit on every character across the account you dont have to buy 1 for each character right?

Totally.

Good plan for a stable of clones. 😄

Workarounds, however, are a way of living with a problematic system, not a way of improving it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

I agree with you anet could and probably should remove the transmutation charges but they probably won't and at least unlike other issues in this game if you are bothered enough by their existence you can earn more or get infinite with enough gold.

I think it would be nice if they removed them but I'm not gonna hold my breath and i think there are more pressing issues.

I don't really get why this is what's bothering you when years ago they've removed the makeover kits from the bl chest and now you almost can't earn them at all. I feel like your energy would be better directed at that over a currency that's relatively easy to earn

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Redsnabba.9172 said:

I agree with you anet could and probably should remove the transmutation charges but they probably won't and at least unlike other issues in this game if you are bothered enough by their existence you can earn more or get infinite with enough gold.

I think it would be nice if they removed them but I'm not gonna hold my breath and i think there are more pressing issues.

I don't really get why this is what's bothering you when years ago they've removed the makeover kits from the bl chest and now you almost can't earn them at all. I feel like your energy would be better directed at that over a currency that's relatively easy to earn

Since you didn’t quote anyone, I’m going to take this as a response to the OP.

For what it’s worth, I agree there are much bigger issues in the game. Making this one didn’t keep from participating in threads about those issues, though. And the length of this thread isn’t a reflection of some deep passion of mine against TCharges.

Mostly, I thought the implementation of the skin randomizer was a good moment for ArenaNet to reconsider a mechanic that’s mostly a minor annoyance, but does affect the way some of us play the game.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

+1 for this!

i have a lot of transmutation charges, so its not like i'll ever be spending money on them anyway.

but i'd sure change my outfit more if i knew i could do it freely!

oh i'm going to cantha? lets make a cantha-ish transmog,

oh i'm going to the shiverpeaks, let me transmog a scarf!

Edited by Liewec.2896
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Since you didn’t quote anyone, I’m going to take this as a response to the OP.

For what it’s worth, I agree there are much bigger issues in the game. Making this one didn’t keep from participating in threads about those issues, though. And the length of this thread isn’t a reflection of some deep passion of mine against TCharges.

Mostly, I thought the implementation of the skin randomizer was a good moment for ArenaNet to reconsider a mechanic that’s mostly a minor annoyance, but does affect the way some of us play the game.

Yeah no I agree and it would be nice but don't hold your breath. I think very likely we'll just have to end up having to deal with the system we've got for this one because I don't see anet doing something about it without a bigger protest because $$$.

Also I think it's a good idea to make suggestions to improve the game, don't get me wrong. It's just that in my experience anet doesn't do much until there's a significant part of the user base demanding something and if we're gonna demand something I'd rather it have a major impact on the game than something we at least have a solution for but i do hope i'm wrong and anet removes the charges anyway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Archenblade.3405 said:

Get outfits if you want "Change it whenever you change biome" Flexibility.

Where's the fun in using a premade outfit? I'd never do that, I wanna make my own unique outfits. That's why I think we really need something like custom outfits.

39 minutes ago, Archenblade.3405 said:

Earning the right to make your character look obnoxious is part of starting the game. it isn't penalizing new players. it is rewarding older ones.

I can agree with that. There's something to being dressed like an idiot while levelling. 🙂

Edited by Abnaxos.4305
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Abnaxos.4305 said:

Where's the fun in using a premade outfit? I'd never do that, I wanna make my own unique outfits. That's why I think we really need something like custom outfits.

I can agree with that. There's something to being dressed like an idiot while levelling. 🙂

Then earn or buy transmutation charges.

We used to have transumtation stones one for 1-79 and another for 80

If I remember right the only one we could earn was the 1-79 lvl skins so we could not even change lvl 80 skins without paying.

+ those stones destroyed the item you wanted skin from each time.

• Like 1

After 10 years and ANet is still charging for wardrobe change 🤷‍♀️

One of the main sources of income is sales of skins from the gem store which cost averagely $5 - $10 a piece. It would be wise not to charge players for using them. This is one of the reasons that stopped me from buying more armour skins. So many of them and all needs transmutation charges after the first time. No way I am buying those gem store transmutation charges. I know there are other ways to get them, but it's never enough.

Did I mention that the game is already 10 years old? Charging for change of wardrobe should be a thing in the past. Long ago. Not everyone has the gold and time to craft legendary. I play this game to enjoy what I like to do and not to do chores.

Edited by Min Min.9368
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I kinda don't like the idea of transmutation charges being completely removed from the game and allowing free transmuting on all items outside of legendaries. Having legendary items myself I know the accomplishment that comes with it, but I can't say that I personally went after those items for the free transmog perk, it was for the stat swapping and the skins themselves. I wouldn't care or feel like the stuff I have is of any less of value if there was a level 1 basic white grade armor/weapon set with zero stats or upgrade slots and free transmuting for rp'ers/fashion enjoyers to use in towns and have no use otherwise, it wouldn't affect me. You would still need transmutation charges on everything else anyways if you don't have legendary items, so they would still have their place. This is how town clothes should have been re-worked to be fair. Free transmuting is always ultimately limited by the amount of skin variations you have unlocked anyways. I dunno maybe it would motivate players to collect/buy/achieve more skins and be more creative, shrug.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 1:20 AM, Min Min.9368 said:

After 10 years and ANet is still charging for wardrobe change 🤷‍♀️

One of the main sources of income is sales of skins from the gem store which cost averagely $5 - $10 a piece. It would be wise not to charge players for using them. This is one of the reasons that stopped me from buying more armour skins. So many of them and all needs transmutation charges after the first time. No way I am buying those gem store transmutation charges. I know there are other ways to get them, but it's never enough.

Did I mention that the game is already 10 years old? Charging for change of wardrobe should be a thing in the past. Long ago. Not everyone has the gold and time to craft legendary. I play this game to enjoy what I like, not to do chores.

The game is ten years old, you are correct. More than enough time to get legendary gear if getting enough transmutation charges is an issue for you. 

• Like 4

You transmute way too often if you're running out of charges. I literally have over 1600 transmutation charges, and that number is only going to go up now that I have legendary armor/backpack.

Either pursue legendary gear or buy charges from the gem store if you really prioritize changing your appearance so frequently.

• Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly can't believe how people are disputing the fact that the current transutation system is poorly designed. 

Dispute example 1: "How can you possibly run out of charges in the current system? I have tons and it's more than adequate for how often I need transmutation?"

Counter argument 1: Good for you. You found looks you're happy with for at least a week on each toon before changing your look out. Good luck keeping enough transmutation charge stock if you start wanting to change out more often than that. Some people like variety more often than you do. 

Dispute example 2: "Transmutation charges are an integral part of what makes PvP and WvW rewarding." 

Counter argument 2: There are ways to restructure PvP and WvW rewards that will still be rewarding without these needing to be a part of it. Also, I think it's REALLY bad game design in general to "force" PvE people into PvP for integral items like Transmutation Charges. PvP and WvW are by far the best ways to get charges. I know map completing cities is another way... it's way worse... do I need to argue about this? I don't want to get into it in detail about game systems/items that are integral vs. not integral. This isn't the place.

Dispute example 3: "The unlimited transmutation that comes with Legendary Armor fulfills this need. Don't take it away from Legendary Armor."

Counter argument 3: First, Legendary Armor is super valuable even without the unique ability of unlimited transmuation. Second, do you all really want a bunch of RP Sally's and Andy's going into Raids, PvP, or WvW that don't really want to be doing that content just because they want to access a way to get unlimited transmutation for one armor class?

Dispute example 4: "ArenaNet is not going to be likely to change a system that will directly result in revenue loss for them."

Counter argument 4: This IMO is the first argument that at least makes sense. But I think it's solvable. First, I'm not sure many people pay for transmutation charges because it's a pretty high cost for what it does. Second, I think there is a way to monetize a new system that I'll get into below. *** I can't believe I'm helping a game monetize me. ***

PROPOSED SOLUTION:

Anyone play SWTOR? Thier armor/skin template system worked pretty well and I'm modeling mine off of this. 

My proposal for GW2 is to have skin templates - similar to our current armor and build templates - that are unique to each character. Each character would freely have access to 1-3 templates (depending on how hard ANet) wants to monetize this. You would then asign armor pieces to each individual slot in a template and save the template. Once a template is saved, these templates could be applied freely to any gearset, kinda like current Outfits. You would also be free to change your look to a different saved template. (Minor note: SWTOR also had a checkbox next to each item in a template that indicated if you wanted that item to show, or if you wanted the gear in that slot that's actually equiped underneath the template to show. A nice customization feature.)

How could this be monetized? A few ways - either seperately or together. Although, I'd greatly prefer to not have the second method. I'll list it regardless. 1) If you want more than the freely offered 1-3 Template slots, you buy them just like our current armor and build templates. 2) If ANet decides it wants to keep Transmutation Charges in the game, they can still be used to change an individual skin slot in the tempalte that already has a skin assigned to it, to something else. Basically if they want to change the template, it has a Transmutation Charge fee for each slot changed. 3) As kinda a hybrid between suggestion 1 and 2, which would over time severly reduce the number of Transmutation Charges used, you could charge the player Transmutation Charges (maybe like 10 charges) per skin template they want to unlock up to a set maximum. You could limit the number of skin templates that can be unlocked this way if you wanted and then charge flat fees for any desired templates over that amount if you wanted as well.

Summary:

There are many solutions out there that can be seen in other games for fashion/glamour needs. Of the MMO's I've played (SWTOR, FF XIV, Black Desert, ESO), SWTOR's system has always felt the best to me. And as I've shown, there are multiple ways to monetize this system to fit into ANet's current monetization system. 

Great example recently came to light showing just how limiting our current system is. Anyone go to Lions Arch recently to see the new Fashion Wars event that's only here for a week? It's a fun idea. It's an area with a raised catwalk where you can sign up to participate as a model or stay in the audience. The models are given a category to try to base their fashion around for that round. Some examples: Canthan Nightclub, Commander of the Runway, and Amnoon by Moonlight. Wouldn't it be a great fun thing to be able to change your fashion more frequently on a whim to participate? 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

SWTOR (and all of the rest you cited I believe) is a subscription based game so they're getting their money anyway.  Anet need people to buy transmutation charges to help support the studio.  How much do you pay per month for SWTOR?  Just pay Anet the same amount and get gems every month that you can then use to purchase transmutation charges.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

There are many "sub" contents to many players ARE endgame activities. Not just fashions. If a 10 year old game decides to go vertical progression in the midst of a dwinding population, I have the name for the 4th expansion. It's The End (ITE).

Remember the intro of ascended gears? The months of rage in the forum and the massive exodus that followed? That's real.

Edited by Min Min.9368
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Shao.7236 said:

Eventually you have to compromise. The current system works fine as it is.

I do agree that it works “fine”, but it could work better. The current system is kinda clunky because we started the game with the transmutation system, then got the wardrobe system in the 2014 rework of cosmetics.

Transmutation charges are an artifact left over from the old. I can’t look at the current system and think that anyone would design it this way if they were doing so from the ground up in the current state of game.

ArenaNet’s recent acknowledgment of Fashion Wars, from the new randomizer to the tongue-in-cheek April Fools event, seem like an opportune moment to ask if the current system is the best it could be, serving the players as well as ArenaNet.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

I do agree that it works “fine”, but it could work better. The current system is kinda clunky because we started the game with the transmutation system, then got the wardrobe system in the 2014 rework of cosmetics.

How is it clunky? And how did the wardrobe system contribute to that?

ArenaNet’s recent acknowledgment of Fashion Wars, from the new randomizer to the tongue-in-cheek April Fools event, seem like an opportune moment to ask if the current system is the best it could be, serving the players as well as ArenaNet.

Trying to use "appearance randomizer" (which isn't auto-applied, so it doesn't influence the existance of transmutation charges in any way) and a literal april fools event based on a known long-running meme look like a weak attempt at reasoning for any change.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1