Chances of Revenant using dagger at some point?

Ulysses.2058

What do you think our chances of using dagger, as a new e-spec or possibly new core weapon, are?

I'm working towards a 3-gen legendary and variants, and thought about sword first but honestly, its design is pretty bland compared to others. On the other hand, I find dagger to be one of the best skins that weapon has.

I mostly (almost exclusively) play Revenant, and I'm between crafting sword for utility, or holding materials and hoping for a future dagger for us. Thoughts?

If we assume that a new elite specialization is potentially years away, and that Revenant can currently use 8/16 available weapons (and that's not assuming they add like, mainhand axe, offhand mace to an elite specialization), you're probably best off just crafting what you know you can actually use for now. There's plenty of time to gather more materials for a legendary dagger should the need arise, and you'll know about the new weapon/specialization a long time before you actually get access to it, if EoD is anything to go by.

• Thanks 1

My advice here is: Don't craft ANY legendary on the basis of something that might happen. Because it might not, or it might have a playstyle you weren't envisioning (I'm pretty sure I remember someone being so confident that warrior would get pistol that they made HOPE in advance of EOD. They weren't wrong, technically, but I don't think they were happy either). At most, consider banking the resources you'd need so that if it is announced, you can make the legendary quickly - but if it isn't, the resources can go into something more useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A range weapon plz , shortbow is the only decent ranged weapon for rev. and is locked behind renegade .

Nor herald , nor vindicator have range option ... and don't tell me i forgot hammer , hammer is so weak and slow i don't even consider it being an option , a virtuoso afk dagger 1 deal more damage than a rev. spamming all his hammer skills.

Edited by zeyeti.8347

23 hours ago, Jin.8501 said:

If it's main hand yes. Offhand rarely brings any gameplay difference weapon wise. 

Ummm.  You must not play competitive  modes …

22 hours ago, Sandzibar.5134 said:

Swap you soulbeast dagger for the Ren shortbow skills you get.

Heck no! Sbeast dagger is one of the worst weapons in the game!

Rev needs more core weapons to be on par with other specs. Rev has 3 support role capable elites and only staff and shield as support weapon(and shield is offhand with only 1 skill to support team, and only for herald). So Rene or vindi don't have second support set. It has only 2 choices for main hand and only 2 offhands as core. While those weapons are good, it feels like rev is unfinished profession compared to others

• Like 1

Is possible that the next expansion doesn't bring up any new specializations, and even that instead of a new core weapon x profession ANet just choses to allow the spec weapons to be wielded for the core Rev (or all specs, albeit the more you open the hand, the harder is to keep the "balance"). So I won't put much % in the chances of getting an specific weapon.

Definitely open spec weapons to the core profession would be nice, since the core builds are oftenly weaker and forgotten in balance patches, and also because a lot of the spec weapons would be weaker than inside the spec (example: shortbow's performance relies heavily in all the traits the Renegade line provides), so those additions wouldn't instantly make the core classes broken.

4 hours ago, Polar.8634 said:

Rev needs more core weapons to be on par with other specs. Rev has 3 support role capable elites and only staff and shield as support weapon(and shield is offhand with only 1 skill to support team, and only for herald). So Rene or vindi don't have second support set. It has only 2 choices for main hand and only 2 offhands as core. While those weapons are good, it feels like rev is unfinished profession compared to others

I think having an additional condition weapon is probably more critical than an additional support weapon. Mace is reasonably decent for blasting fire fields, and Salvation provides enough healing from sources other than your weapons that you don't really need two weapons that are explicitly healing weapons as long as your healing power is high. I think guardian, mechanist, and maybe elementalist (considering every attunement as a separate 'weapon') are the only professions where you can get all of your weapons to be explicitly support-oriented, and for guardian at least, they often forego mace because staff, shield, traits, and possibly utilities are often enough. Broadly speaking, though, revenant still suffers a lot from having been initially designed as a no-weaponswap profession (something that might have worked if the weapons had actually been designed for that...)

4 hours ago, Polar.8634 said:

Just craft them all lol

Well, that's the dream, innit? If you play every profession, dagger is probably relatively high on the list for utility purposes - it's used by six out of nine professions, and all of those professions use it in at least a few meta builds. But if someone isn't at the point where they've got everything and they're looking to make a weapon for a specific profession, I think 'don't speculate, wait until the profession in question actually gets that weapon' is good advice.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

you don't really need two weapons

its only in pve where enemy is not moving. it does not work in competitive. herald and rene are used in pve, ok, vindi can only support competitive since no op boon, and he has only one weapon. even in pve, mace + shield does what for support, like 3k heal and blast might, great. it is absolutelly underwhelming compared to any other "supporter" weapon set. for rene even worse, staff and mace + axe, condi set. and what i say is rev needs more then just 1 weapon, but lack of supporter options while having 3 support specs is just outstanding. 

1 hour ago, Polar.8634 said:

its only in pve where enemy is not moving. it does not work in competitive. herald and rene are used in pve, ok, vindi can only support competitive since no op boon, and he has only one weapon. even in pve, mace + shield does what for support, like 3k heal and blast might, great. it is absolutelly underwhelming compared to any other "supporter" weapon set. for rene even worse, staff and mace + axe, condi set. and what i say is rev needs more then just 1 weapon, but lack of supporter options while having 3 support specs is just outstanding. 

You know support core guardian uses sword more often than mace, right? Support builds usually have a weapon in there that is there more for utility than direct support. You'd probably be right in that support rev in competitive probably wouldn't be using mace since players are more likely to move out of it... but hey, maybe not, since in sPvP even heal support builds generally have some damage since all the amulets that focused entirely on healing and durability were removed.

Historically, support (and hybrid) rev in sPvP has a tendency to be either weak or absolutely broken. They've made at least three attempts that I can think of, and every time they've had to pare it back pretty quickly. Which in practice means they've been weak more often than not, since unless they do hit that sweet spot, it's better for support rev to be weak than overpowering, and in the sPvP context, it's hard to balance a high-sustain build that can repeatedly push people off point (druid has the same problem).

I don't think adding another support weapon is likely to change that calculus. Now, if revenant was to get some kind of ranged condi/support hybrid weapon, I wouldn't turn it down, but it'd probably need to be a 2H weapon to get all that on one weapon.

it's extremely improbable for revenant to get another new core weapon (trident only happened because revenant had two underwater weapon slots, but was only able to use a spear). but to tease the question: what revenant could really benefit from is a one-handed range weapon; if I had to pick, it'd be main-hand axe or scepter. could be power, healing, support, or condi, I don't care.

Edited by mirage.8046

9 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

know support core guardian uses sword more often than mace, right?

I don't mind any weapon with good utility, it would benefit both damage and support builds, just not something which benefits only one build, like GS or god forbid hammer. I know Anet cannot balance rev for ages, it is not a reason to stop demanding it. As for now i play these rev builds for years, they never change, they don't have flexibility in traits or in weapons. New quick herald appeared from the most recent, 1 different trait from DPS herald, same gear just bit more concentration, and gameplay of it even more braindead. Ofc i play other classes for difference, still want rev to get some more options