unreal Engine 5 mmos hard times for gw2

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I can already answer that for you. It's both. If you win, you did it legitimately (barring some edge cases of bugs and exploits, of course), but you are doing it in a challenge that has, indeed, been rigged from the start in your favour. It's called an illusion of difficulty, and has been used in games for years, even before the idea of MMORPGs has been conceived. If you think it has ever been different, you are naive - outside PvP, a "real", non-rigged difficulty just does not exist.

You say that, but I remember quite a few coin-suckers from arcades back when I was a kid.  I'm pretty sure those weren't rigged in my favor.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Will "ai" make development easier? Yes. 

Does it guarantee better games? Not at all. Imo the best recepy is either a fresh, creative idea which you wont get from "ai" or a polished game based on a franchise with huge following or mix of both. 

Right now I dont see any big mmo in development that would jeopardise gw2's casual niche. If anything, the big ones in development seem to go in completely other direction. Im not really following so much though. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Using Unreal 5 doesn't mean automatically that the game will be good, bug free and fun to play...nor does it mean it will be the right setting for anyone.

And I do suspect that the first MMO that uses Unreal 5 is probably still years away of coming out, so I don't really see too many dark clouds gathering because of Unreal 5. If anything is going to kill GW2 in the next few years it'll be Anet's own doing. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

On 5/21/2023 at 4:39 PM, Gravitron.7982 said:

Man UE5 is just so realistic! Imagine playing an MMORPG with this level of photo realism? Insane!

Time has proven that the majority players actually despise photorealism in games. They play video games to escape reality and many top-tier budget games created with photorealistic graphics in the last decade have horribly flopped while indie games have taken off like wildfire.

This is because in general the effort required to make a game world seem realistic takes away from the artistic style and gameplay experience. On top of this, graphics that look too real end up looking fake to Humans because our minds don't actually take in that much detail at once and we're really good at immersing ourselves in approximations derived from artistic freedom since mentally and emotionally filling in the details of what is missing is exactly what stimulates our imaginations the most.

Playing a video game with a photorealistic world seems dream-like only because it is a dream. It doesn't seem dream-like anymore when it becomes a reality. It just becomes a manifestation of the exact same things you see (and ignore) every day in real life.

Next time you're outside, think about how much you actually pay attention to! Even though you're surrounded by a beautiful world, chances are you only notice a small amount of it.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

52 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Man UE5 is just so realistic! Imagine playing an MMORPG with this level of photo realism? Insane!

Looks like an environmental version of the uncanny valley to me. 

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

Time has proven that the majority players actually despise photorealism in games. They play video games to escape reality and many top-tie budget games created with photorealistic graphics in the last decade have horribly flopped while indie games have taken off like wildfire.

This is because in general the effort required to make a game world seem realistic takes away from the artistic style and gameplay experience. On top of this, graphics that look too real end up looking fake to Humans because our minds don't actually take in that much detail at once and we're really good at immersing ourselves in approximations derived from artistic freedom since mentally and emotionally filling in the details of what is missing is exactly what stimulates our imaginations the most.

Playing a video game with a photorealistic world seems dream-like only because it is a dream. It doesn't seem dream-like anymore when it becomes a reality. It just becomes a manifestation of the exact same things you see (and ignore) every day in real life.

Next time you're outside, think about how much you actually pay attention to! Even though you're surrounded by a beautiful world, chances are you only notice a small amount of it.

I can't agree with you here chief.

• Confused 4

This Cyberpunk demo is absolutely horrifying, and not in a good way. The way the architecture moves in background during shifts is just wrong, and made me violently ill after just 10-15 seconds of observing it. There's just something not right with depth dimensions. And as for overall quality, it indeed looks like a very high quality. Very high quality plastic, that is.

Would not recommend.

And Cyberpunk is the type of game where high quality realistic graphics would fit the best, unlike with fantasy MMORPGs.

Edit: also, contrary to vid title (which is likely just a clickbait) it's not UE at all, it's the normal game Red Engine, just heavily modded, in 8k, and with weird Reshade added on top of it. Which, as i have already mentioned, may increase some graphics quality, but also creates some new issues.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 5:39 AM, Balsa.3951 said:

throne and liberty another ncsof game coming out and a big one which im not will name but oh boy it looked like an mmo dream come true.

Throne and liberty will have auto-path and auto-combat. You can also develop a game in UE5, but if you put auto-combat on such a massive game it's an easy pass for me.

• Like 2

Meh. I’m not that into realistic graphics in games. It can even make me uncomfortable if it’s too realistic due to violence in certain games.

I don’t play games for the realism in them, but for fun. Some of my favorite games are pixels. (For example stardew valley) There is a reason they still make pixel games and they’re still successful. 

That said, the graphics unreal engine 5 have are impressive and I’m sure it will be amazing to play some games with this graphic. Depending on what kind of game it is. It will not make “hard times” for existing mmos that are successful though. “Wow killers” have existed for a decade by now if not longer. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Boz.2038 said:

The people here aren't ready for 400GB games, and it shows.

To be honest, the games aren't ready for it. Good graphics won't make a bad game better. The best they can do is to make you shell out money for an absolute disaster because you got baited by the first look. Which is something some game producers might be content with, but will not help a MMORPG to thrive for more than a week maybe.

• Like 2

Photorealistic fantasy mmo? Isnt it contradicting a little? Photorealistic dragon.....right. 
Anyway, like people said, engine doesnt make good game, neither does AI. To be honest AI npcs (those that people believe they will get) will only make game worse and too uncanny besides, many people probably believe npc will have unique lines and actions for each player but what about voice? Every AI sounds like robot, it will never sound like human. So you wanna go back to not voiced mmos?

Not to mention the PCs you would have to have to run photorealistic game with 200-300 players arround you. 

If we will ever get games like this and unfortunately I think we will, it will be long after GW2 is already dead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1