Pistol in SotO? Rly, Anet?

Ram.5981

On 6/27/2023 at 10:17 PM, Peter.3901 said:

Don't worry, rangers got double mace dude... nothing can be worst than double maces on a ranged class...

Ranger trivia: The term "ranger" doesn't come from fighting at range; it's a term for someone who protects a range of land. They're survivalists who need to learn how to be good at a bit everything, including ranged combat, but they're also deadly melee fighters, like Aragorn in LOTR or... even bunny thumpers I guess. A ranger who doesn't know how to use their melee skills is a sad sight indeed... /preach

But anyways, I think the "arcane archer" would be more of an intuitive fit, especially considering there's a precedent already set with the Ice Bow. But there are also examples of "arcane gunners" in fiction, so I guess this could potentially be interesting. I don't know what the theme of the new expansion is, but maybe it could open up a lot of "Victorian mecha-magic" sorts of looks and skins. There's no saying that magic has to be completely exclusive from tech, after all. You know, kinda like... the entirety of Canthan and Asuran society. It may not everyone's cup of tea, but not everything can suit our whims; I still don't really like the Tempest much, for example. And while the pistol is usually a 600-900 range weapon, there's always the possibility it could have a unique 1200 range for this class. There has been precedent of them mixing things up before, like 1200 range hammers and melee staves.

Also keep in mind with their new weapon liberation system, we can still (probably?) use the new elite spec without necessarily having to use a gun, so you can still be a "traditional" mage if you want.

I just hope, if nothing else, that they make an effort to make NEW ANIMATIONS AND EFFECTS for the new skills. The previous elite specs recycled so many animations they felt a bit boring sometimes. I really, really don't want to see another "spin to win" animation -- it just feels like such a dumb thing to do in combat. Like... it's entirely possible to cast and create whirling effects without turning into a dreidel. Warrior axe spin and elemental fire overload? A bit cringe (certified opinion™). Ranger Whirling Defense? Now that's a cool skill.

1 hour ago, tanpopo.9102 said:

But anyways, I think the "arcane archer" would be more of an intuitive fit, especially considering there's a precedent already set with the Ice Bow. But there are also examples of "arcane gunners" in fiction, so I guess this could potentially be interesting. I don't know what the theme of the new expansion is, but maybe it could open up a lot of "Victorian mecha-magic" sorts of looks and skins. There's no saying that magic has to be completely exclusive from tech, after all. You know, kinda like... the entirety of Canthan and Asuran society. It may not everyone's cup of tea, but not everything can suit our whims; I still don't really like the Tempest much, for example. And while the pistol is usually a 600-900 range weapon, there's always the possibility it could have a unique 1200 range for this class. There has been precedent of them mixing things up before, like 1200 range hammers and melee staves.

I'd probably be exaggerating if I said 'half', but certainly a significant proportion of pistol and rifle skins look like they're not only more suited to projecting magical energy than bullets, but in many cases like they shouldn't even be capable of firing bullets, but that's what every existing pistol- or rifle-user except mesmer is doing with them (unless they're using a legendary that changes the projectile animation). Some are based on open world bundles that are energy gun weapons. If anything, it's a little odd that Arenanet hasn't gone harder on the 'magical energy bolt gun' theme already. 

1 hour ago, tanpopo.9102 said:

Also keep in mind with their new weapon liberation system, we can still (probably?) use the new elite spec without necessarily having to use a gun, so you can still be a "traditional" mage if you want.

There isn't an elite spec next expansion. After that is an open question, though.

• Like 1

I would have liked to see longbow/rifle, but pistol rounded out the list for me.  I think any of these weapons could make for a cool concept.  My only concern is that because this is only a weapon unlock it won't be supported by everything else that goes into making the weapon fit the class with elite spec weapon unlocks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Just look at what they have done to staff over the last 10 years (or more accurately, what they have not done), and you kind of get the impression that anet doesnt want ele to have a good 1200 range weapon.

Hey, if 600 range with sluggish projectiles on hammer makes it 'mid-range', then clearly 900 is all the range you could ever need outside of a mortar-style bombardment/support weapon, right? Right?

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Haha 2

On 6/29/2023 at 10:56 AM, Genesis.8572 said:

And a longbow, as per the other common suggestion, could step on the staff's toes. What's your point? 

My point being the main-hand pistol has to play differently from the scepter; for all anyone knows, it could offer bouncing projectiles or short movement. That's why weapons have different utilities and purposes, so they don't all play the same way.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mirage.8046 said:

My point being the main-hand pistol has to play differently from the scepter; for all anyone knows, it could offer bouncing projectiles or short movement. That's why weapons have different utilities and purposes, so they don't all play the same way.

On this note, in fact, something both staff and scepter have is that both weapons tend to have something of a lag between activating a skill and doing the damage. With staff, it's mostly in the reliance on persistent AoEs for damage in fire and the delays in the effects of earth 2 and air 2. With scepter, it's mostly in the delays on fire and the long ramp-up of the air auto, although the latter is somewhat compensated for with the instant air 2.

Pistol skills, by contrast, usually have a speed-of-projectile effect and reasonably fast projectiles. So it could be distinguished by being more suited for situations where you need to land the big hits now rather than a second or two later, or over the period of a persistent AoE. This could be balanced by having less damage or reduced AoE capabilities.

• Like 1

It's tone deaf, but to me it also signals that they aren't willing to put in the work to give ele 5 new skills for each attunement with a 2h weapon or dual wield pistols. Doesn't matter if it's because they lack the time, resources, or they just don't want to do it. A hammer wielding bruiser with a magic technoball they tried to sell as a "traditional mage" was already a slap in the face, but now we've been pistol whipped. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

Y'all are acting like we won't be getting a second pistol down the line. The chances of that happening are a lot higher than some of you think because a lot of these weapon ideas have been well received by the community. Yes, I would have preferred dual pistols as well, but it does take a lot of work to make an Ele weapon to start with due to the attunement nature and weaver compared to other professions getting weapons. So, their reasoning on why makes a lot of sense to me. This way it is set up to allow an off-hand pistol later with less work on their end. P/P will come in time.

People just need to be patient and be happy we are getting this at all. Because, yes I have always wanted pistol from the get go for my spellslinger feel. Having one pistol still matches that feel for me. If I could make Harbi work with one, I can make this work with one.

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I like the idea of pistol elementalist, but I agree it would probably be better as an off-hand, which seems to be the slot where we're more lacking. Focus is a defensive set that gets used for condi damage due to lack of any alternative. Warhorn is support. Dagger is melee power damage. We need both a condi-dedicated offhand, ranged or melee, as well as a ranged power-focused one.

Still, I'm curious to see what we'll get.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

Y'all are acting like we won't be getting a second pistol down the line. The chances of that happening are a lot higher than some of you think because a lot of these weapon ideas have been well received by the community. Yes, I would have preferred dual pistols as well, but it does take a lot of work to make an Ele weapon to start with due to the attunement nature and weaver compared to other professions getting weapons. So, their reasoning on why makes a lot of sense to me. This way it is set up to allow an off-hand pistol later with less work on their end. P/P will come in time.

People just need to be patient and be happy we are getting this at all. Because, yes I have always wanted pistol from the get go for my spellslinger feel. Having one pistol still matches that feel for me. If I could make Harbi work with one, I can make this work with one.

Fingers crossed 🤞

On 7/5/2023 at 2:01 AM, DirtyDan.4759 said:

The name ranger has nothing to do with range.

omg thank you, that kind of argument drives me up the wall. rangers can be wildlife protectors, a guardian of an area, or scouts. I'm baffled that this is often a misunderstood concept of "ranger."

• Like 3

Maybe they'll do something unusual and give it 1200 range. Maybe they were trying to offer this on a single-handed weapon instead of a two-handed weapon so that it could have a more flexible playstyle based on the OH selection.

Edited by Einlanzer.1627
  • Confused 1

I think I know how the different elements will work.

Fire: Machine gun, rapid auto attacks and skills that apply condition stacks.

Air: Magnum rounds: slow, long range, skills have defiance bar breaking capability.

Earth: Shotgun, like a Taurus Judge or S&W Governor. Short range, applies bleeds.

Water: Super soaker, channeled abilities, maybe they can be used to blind enemies or something?

• Haha 1