Weaponmaster Training Beta Feedback: Revenant

Rubi Bayer.8493

• ArenaNet Staff

The Weaponmaster Training beta event for Secrets of the Obscure is open to all Guild Wars 2 players from June 29 until July 2! Try out the combat changes that are coming with SotO on August 22 and let us know what you think. You can leave your feedback for the revenant in this thread.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

• Off-hand Shield, no damage, works for support build/traitline, locked under legends + energy bar, run Guardian/Firebrand support instead in WvW
  • Greatsword, works in PvE, run Warrior instead in WvW for crowd control/DPS
  • Short-bow, range too limited, aoe small, run Soulbeast instead in WvW using Longbow + Staff
  • Herald: can pulse Facets as support in Zergs, the weapons from above won't have much impact in real WvW combat, unless they have some sort of perks such as give energy back maybe or allow faster legend swap?
  • There was that Revenant build from a while back using Demon stance to spam confusion (eats lots of energy), it would make sense if Greatsword some how spread the confusion condition in combat, or had higher DPS on target with confusion, hence disrupting healers, though I believe it was nerfed, hence run Mesmer instead in WvW
  • My sympathies to Revenants and Heralds at this stage, it was 1 of my favorite professions too aside from Guardian at launch 🙏
Edited by Woop S.7851
typo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 12

I only care about Greatsword on other builds than Vindicator. Greatsword is such a good and balanced weapon after they totally killed Staff in competitive. 

Oh and at least our prayers were answered early by allowing all builds to access Shortbow, which is awesome option for Core Condi or Herald QuickCondi builds. 

• Like 12
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

I only care about Greatsword on other builds than Vindicator. Greatsword is such a good and balanced weapon after they totally killed Staff in competitive. 

Oh and at least our prayers were answered early by allowing all builds to access Shortbow, which is awesome option for Core Condi or Herald QuickCondi builds. 

Yup GS replacing staff should be interesting, I'm looking forward to checking that out today on my Rev. This is for WvW btw. I am using SB right now running Renegade, Invocation and Salvation/Retribution (depending on zerg or not). Staff has always been an 'oh kitten kitten kitten' swap when suddenly being jumped or accidentally eating some wombo combo. GS has the block and some mobility in the leap, but can also do a bit more offense. I might have just been using staff wrong, but I feel like GS will take a more even share of time with the SB instead of being a backup.

Edited by nosleepdemon.1368
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Athef.6879 said:

Are you going to read the outcries of the frustrated Herald playerbase here at least, or is it still gonna go ignored?

core ranger with staff and dagger core warrior, altough vindicator with shield will lack shield trait for CD's  but herald wtih GS sounds catchy : }

like some one said on another thread, this will result on some weapons being  strong and others very very weak useless point.

My prediction is Anet  change or create one or another skill on those weapons to fit a more generalistic role or usage towards when not being used on the elite that boosts that weapon, for example Shield 5 on vindicator or in Renegade sounds weird and looks weird, a more fit skill should replace when keys skills towards some legend are used outside their legend.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

1 hour ago, Angesombre.4630 said:

The revenant has many bugs that haven't been corrected for months and years. It would be nice to have a look at the related posts.
Hopefully the message will be read here at least.

Revenant sword 3 works like that since its release :) its a feature!!!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Batalix.2873 said:

Core Rev really needs more weapons generally and we haven't had a single focus espec since launch.

Give Rev focus in addition to scepter. It just makes sense.

Absolutely 100% this. Scepter + Focus would be the ideal addition here, not just Scepter. Anet is giving out double sword to Necro (which, despite being the same weapon, is functionally still two weapons) so this shouldn't be an issue to give Rev both a Mainhand and an Offhand

• Like 12

Herald with sw sw / GS feels good, omega damage, can use brutality finally. But weakness to cc did not go anywhere. 

Shortbow on anything is also good.

shield not good on anything, its rooting antimeta weapon, unless it is pve support build. 

Gs on rene should is very strong in pve, maybe palacren will be good again with this. or even dps rene, i heard about some crazy numbers.

for pve, double swords and gs will only be compared for damage because they dont give much else there, so swords will not be used, like ever. 

• Like 1

No mention of Hammer?

2nd skill needs some fixing. Been broken for years since the changes. Hitbox is too far out and the hitscan is too small as players can jump over with the right timing.

Inspiring Reinforcement AoE is also broken, the combo field is too low for projectile finishers to work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Polar.8634 said:

Herald with sw sw / GS feels good, omega damage, can use brutality finally. But weakness to cc did not go anywhere. 

Shortbow on anything is also good.

shield not good on anything, its rooting antimeta weapon, unless it is pve support build. 

Gs on rene should is very strong in pve, maybe palacren will be good again with this. or even dps rene, i heard about some crazy numbers.

for pve, double swords and gs will only be compared for damage because they dont give much else there, so swords will not be used, like ever. 

Honestly with how much giga damage GS has innately, I may actually go Core Sw/Sh - GS. 

So much defensive cooldowns to make up for Shiro's aggressive utility usage, and GS has more than enough damage to facilitate big hits when played right. With Shield, Sword/Shield swap will be incredibly powerful as a defensive set to make Revenant really durable with sustained damage. 

Edited by Yasai.3549
  • Like 1

GS: it does the most damage in pve. All power builds will use it.

SB: finally we have a functional ranged pve weapon. Might as well delete hammer (not that anyone uses it). Vindicator SB is very good in OW. Would definitely be the weapon to use solo against content not meant to be soloed 😁

Shield: I did not test it, but having a bunker weapon available is always great. 

• Like 1

SB Core Rev and Power Herald tested in competitive modes: actual banger, as we've expected. It really puts to perspective just how bad Hammer is, and I'm glad we finally have a non-bad ranged option for all builds. It also does Condi which makes both Condi and Power builds work well with it. Lmao what is Hammer anymore. 

Anet if you're reading this, please rework Hammer. It really needs alot of love. 

That aside, I tried Shield. It's not great. I really struggle to use it defensively when Shield 4 and 5 are so unwieldy to use or actually gets me killed because I have to root myself to block attacks, allowing enemies to set me up for a long train of hurt or I can't avoid a placed AoE the moment the Shield lets up. Really needs looking at how Shield functions, especially Shield 5. 

• Thanks 6

Vindi is my favorite class  . I have both power and condi toons . The short bow is a really  decent option for tagging bosses and such.  Better than that crappy hammer. GS Renegade was ok but with the dodge/endurance handicap keeps it from being a great weapon option. Plus I run Condi Renegade  although I did try it on a power build. Shield I never use so I didnt even bother with it. Shields in general in GW2 is pretty useless esp. with the long cool downs they have,

Edited by troy.3257
  • Like 1

I ran Retri, Corruption, Vindi in WvW with Celestial stats and SB/GS then later, Mace/Sword. Being able to combine SB's AoE with Alliance AoE produces a huge pile of damage, and you can easily poke/escape using road, triple dodge and both Alliance leaps. It's a pretty superb combination. The backup weapon's not really needed.

Roamed in WvW for a few hours with new weapons tonight. Content was light so I couldn't test much, but there were still some decent fights and a small handful of duels as well. Overall feelings are positive. In fact, I think Rev benefits greatly from having open access to all weapons as it doesn't have many options, especially a snowflake core Rev enjoyer like myself. In a lot of respects, the weapons fill in a lot of missing pieces that one could argue Rev has. 

95% of my time was spent playing full power core Rev. Mostly Sw/Sw GS and Sw/Sh GS. Generally speaking it didn't feel like my builds got hit with major powercreep. Offhand sword and staff are both extremely good weapons, so giving those up for the "new" weapons did indeed feel like a proper tradeoff. The damage from GS was very welcome, but the loss of the other staff utility was still reasonably noticeable. I didn't get much shortbow time in, but it felt alright. I think I'd have to adjust my build around a bit before actually landing on something that feels good. Shield felt alright as well, but a bit on the weaker side. I don't think it's a bad weapon by any means, but running it without the shield trait makes it feel very meh IMO. I think shield could use a bit of that 2023 powercreep, or instead just make the traited effect baseline.

• Thanks 2

Feedback! 

Shortbow! There's a trait in the renegade line that buffs shortbow and makes it cleave. This has to be baseline for shortbow to work. Trash!

Greatsword. Absolutely sick! Probably one of the few winners that I've tested. Power alac renegade, massive win. Power Herald, massive win. 

Power quickness herald. You guys changed the quickness application. Greatsword is very energy hungry and so is quickness application. This is honestly quite interesting. You are locked into what decision you've for the duration of your legend swap. The decision that you've made is applying quickness and sacrificed your awesome greatsword cooldowns to do it. Didn't feel to great. 

Shield? Meh. NEXT! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Roamer shortbow + satff Vindicator. Same tankiness as Vindivcator but now you can pressure at range as Renebow. Also, now you suddenly have 4 hard cc skills in a Vindicator.

perma quickness GS/bow Herald felt decent as well, m8 be even a bit strong if i used some sorta hybrid condi, so i would assume with cele gear.

I think it m8 work as well with Mallyx stance with the elite and quickness, with the trait to torment on chill since GS also has chill and vulnerability (there a jalis trait that makes more damage on targets with vulnerability if i recal  !? ).

Altough idk total DPS of the dual swords isnt superior to the GS lol

Edited by Aeolus.3615

6 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

So much defensive cooldowns to make up for Shiro's aggressive utility usage, and GS has more than enough damage to facilitate big hits when played right. With Shield, Sword/Shield swap will be incredibly powerful as a defensive set to make Revenant really durable with sustained damage. 

i tried out gs on core too, since it is high damage and has block it is cool, but idk for shield, i played wvw and it is mostly 1vx, if i was to use shield 5 i'd just die faster especially against condi/cele. i would only take shield on herald, if ever, due to trait which cleanses condi on shield pulses