Relics Bring New Equipment to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

6 minutes ago, phokus.8934 said:

So not even having full legendary runes is going to unlock a legendary relic?  What type of crappy design is this?

For that it can be understanding as a relic seems working like another trinket but the anger is real (I give you a like) for the compensation thing (we lose the 6th bonus and get nothing equivalent). For resume, they remove one rune to replace it by another trinket slot.

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Confused 2

It all sounds nice for a new player, but it also sounds like you will be taking away some functionality from existing players. Or at least giving them some new hoops to jump though now. But the carrot on the end of the stick for some hoop jumping is new kit which look good and will be fun to do. So it's a bit of a mix.. sort of hard to sell the idea of making customers re-buy something they already have with relics. BUT this may be part of the sales pitch. If a player could say trade in 6 armor runes for a set they currently have to unlock a relic and all's good. It's a wash, but this is not made clear.  

The same goes with current legendary relic owners, it's not clear if we are going to have to put additional work in to use runes we are currently using like Scholar runes, or if we have to work to unlock that relic. 

File me under - needs more info. Could be good, could be meh. 

• Like 8

First the awfull story about dragons, you messed up 4 out 6 dragons story lines. 

The lies about the Icebrood Saga. 

The awul story of End Of Dragon.

The deleted season 6 of LW. 

The skyscale for everyone. 

The mess of the relics.

No more LW. 

PVP is dead.

No more Raids. 

We are ANGRY at you Anet ! Wake up, or the game will loose all of his fans of the first hours ! And once fans are disapointing and betrayed, they will not coming back ! You are playing with fire, and you will not win that game. Time to think again !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Nuunes.5046 said:

For a blog that took 14+ days to write so you guys could be as 'accurate as possible' you really left a lot of stuff vague, unclear, and has created a lot of speculation among everyone.

Are Legendary Runes going to be a requirement to acquire a Legendary Relic? Are we going to have to make 7 and then we get the Relic, or is 6 enough in the compensation part? If not, are we going to get a "Gift of the Relic" and then dump that with a bunch of Gifts to spend even more gold?
In a Quaterly Update in 2023. There are 3 Quarterly updates (NA Math), which one will it be? Because waiting 6 months and waiting 14+ months are VERY different things.

These "prestigiouSSSSSSS relicSSSSSSS". Does this mean that there will be different Legendary Relics that will only give a select choice of the effects? Does that mean we'll have a Legendary Heart of Thorns relic, Legendary Core Relic and Legendary Path of Fire Relic, etc?

What a clusterduck.

I'm not sure why people think that legendary runes will be a requirement for the legendary relic. The way I read it, you get progression towards the legendary relic for each legendary rune you have (including the 7th). If you don't have any legendary runes you will have to do all of it.

Now there is an interesting question here because if you were to get the legendary relic before you get the legendary runes, you might shoot yourself in the foot by doing it that way. So ideally people should make use of the time before next year to get those 6 or 7 runes together. Because otherwise you miss that progress and that will be costly I bet if you do it the other way around.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, at this point, seeing how kitten people are about the legendary runes/sigil thing, I kind of want Anet to make the grind even worse for legenary rune holders. For every legendary rune in armory, they should have to do an extra collection or something.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

That was a lot of words to say wait on a real answer and wait even longer on a solution.  

A single relic box per character is still not enough for screwing over regular runes.  At the very least provide one per equipment tab per character and offer all existing rune bonuses as a choice.    

The supposed "compensation" for legendary runes doesn't help at all while we wait. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

@Rubi Bayer.8493 can you please clarify "with a choice of three core relics (exact number subject to change)"?

People seem to be reading it two different ways. Is it:

1. One relic chosen among three options (exact number may change)

or 

2. Three relics (exact number may change) chosen among the forty core relics

Thanks!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It would have been really nice to see a before and after of the full rune set bonuses, too, of 1 rune set.

PS: please don't make all the relics into effects on Elite skill usage... (I'm assuming you won't, based on pre relic variety, but I fear you will, based on what relics you chose to show us). I much prefer the always- active- passive- bonuses.

PPS: the wording of the relic boxes implies we get to choose 1 relic from a selection of 3 in the box. (This would be a slap in the face.) Or Do you mean we can choose 3 relics from a selection of 40 core relics? (This option would actually make sense, considering that before SotO, we can have 8 equipment slots. Hopefully you'll allow us at least 2 more equipment and build slots with the expansion.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Long time player, rare poster.

I agree with a lot of others. Any compensation less of Legendary Relic at launch is not acceptable to players who already have a full set of legendary runes. The fact that Legendary Sigils are coming "sometime in 2024" is a sign ArenaNet did not fully design out this new system. If ArenaNet truly cannot deliver Legendary Sigils until sometime in 2024 then this entire new system needs to be shelved until it's ready. This is not something you ship piecemeal. 

This is simply undoing work and progression some of the player base has accomplished and making them do it again. Would people be ok if something similar was done with the other legendary items such as armor, weapons and trinkets? I think not.  Expecting players to purchase a new expansion, lose their currently functionality, progression and power of their characters and then wait an unknown amount of time just to expend an unknown amount of effort to get it back? Utterly ridiculous if you ask me. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

@Rubi Bayer.8493 can you please clarify "with a choice of three core relics (exact number subject to change)"?

People seem to be reading it two different ways. Is it:

1. One relic chosen among three options (exact number may change)

or 

2. Three relics (exact number may change) chosen among the forty core relics

Thanks!

I shall too await clarification on this point, but since the full quote says a chest with a choice of 3, that would suggest the former option. The second option would be more welcome though and would eliminate a couple of issues

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

So what are you going to play then? I'm just curious, cause this will happen.

There is more to gaming than GW2, and more to life than gaming. And I suppose more to the universe than life.

Plenty of things to do. I'm using "no GW2" free time for a lot of things, doesn't have to be games.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

There is more to gaming than GW2, and more to life than gaming. And I suppose more to the universe than life.

Plenty of things to do. I'm using "no GW2" free time for a lot of things, doesn't have to be games.

Yeah, I have scaled way back on GW2. My PnP RPG campaign is getting more attention and money though.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

For posting on the forum it seems.

I'm still in my wind-down phase, and I do still admit to a lot of curiosity as to how much of a kitten storm the SotO release will be. 🙃

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Congratulations Anet....you gave a vague PR kitten answer that doesn't appease a kittening thing plus you've shown that you want this system to be a pain in the kitten for a kittening complete year.

Regardless of compensation, the legendary relic should be craftable from day 1....bad kittening decision.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

As many said, i also think the relic system should fully compensate those who had a full set of legendary runes. I share the sentiment and the disappointment in having to re-craft/work on a feature and part of the game i had cleared previously. Many have voiced their opinions already, which i share, so i won't be going further into that

That said, I would like to bring the discussion to easy ideas Anet could implement in the meantime. Here are some :

1. Give players with legendary runes so much of those (or an unlimited) relic-choice boxes so that we feel like we still have the effects of legendary runes 
  2. Postpone the relic system until the legendary relic is implemented
  3. Leave legendary runes in game with their 6th bonus as is or have an hybrid system while we wait for legendary relic

I would like to hear your ideas and realistic solutions, the less development required from Anet's side is probably the easier for them so i tried to keep it simple

Some of you guys had similar ideas, sorry for not crediting you

• Like 9
  • Confused 4

31 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I shall too await clarification on this point, but since the full quote says a chest with a choice of 3, that would suggest the former option. The second option would be more welcome though and would eliminate a couple of issues

Indeed. I'm pretty sure they mean option #1, but I do tend to foolishly hold out hope.

Most likely, the Relic Choice box is going to give us exactly what the level up reward will contain for level 60, a choice among three vanilla relics.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

One thing, is that compensation for those that own the runes when relics come out?

Or is it going to be an earnable compensation?

I mean... will this be something that if someone that has no rune yet, can also earn, once legendary relic is a thing?

I have 7 runes, so I get max I suppose, but this discussion I hear a lot amongst friends. Some are worried they have to rush runes.

(Personally I suspect the 2nd option since it's easier to realize, but like confirmation)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm disappointed by the legendary relic news. I was hoping that they'd compensate the rune situation and release legendary relics on launch, and now they're stripping functionality of legendary gear with no immediate access to the same level of QoL. The bonuses they are moving to relics are the very reason I made full runes, and now it feels like all that work I put into them no longer holds as much value.

So far, this expansion is founded on promises. Between legendary open world armor (undetermined quarterly update), the expansion's weapon unlocks such as dual pistol guardian and rifle mesmer (also undetermined quarterly update), and now legendary relics (quarterly update sometime in 2024, so at least we know it's not going to be in the first quarterly update), all of the promises keep piling up, and at this point I need a spreadsheet to keep track of what's releasing on launch and what's later. Expansions should be hyped by what is available at launch, not something months down the line.

Frankly, I've lost my excitement for the launch of this expansion. So many of the hyped features are going to be added post-launch at least 3 months after the fact. Imagine if EoD's elite specializations launched during the LWS1 rerun, if Jade Bot's secondary functions (loot radar, mount energy, trophy drops, etc.) were all from the Gyala Delve patch, and if Aurene legendary weapons weren't available on launch. That's what's happening here.

Please, just fast track legendary relics and add them to launch, since this is a feature we already had access to via legendary runes, to gatekeep this is just wrong.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

One thing, is that compensation for those that own the runes when relics come out?

Or is it going to be an earnable compensation?

I mean... will this be something that if someone that has no rune yet, can also earn, once legendary relic is a thing?

I have 7 runes, so I get max I suppose, but this discussion I hear a lot amongst friends. Some are worried they have to rush runes.

(Personally I suspect the 2nd option since it's easier to realize, but like confirmation)

People who don't rush the runes will most likely get nothing and have to bear the full cost of making the legendary 7 runes + relic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1