Do you regret pre-ordering SoTO?

Do you regret pre-ordering SotO?  

295 members have voted

1. 1. If you pre-ordered SotO, have any of the recent feature reveals made you regret your purchase?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What feature makes you regret your pre-order? (tick as many as apply)

• PvE Legendary armour
    • Relics
    • New Skyscale acquisition method
    • Nothing, I'm happy!
    • Other (please specify with a post)

On 7/24/2023 at 2:06 PM, Batalix.2873 said:

1) There is deliberate misleading of players by trying to work the game up as still being in full force, when it is really much closer to small-team maintenance mode.

You really don't have a clue what Maintenance mode means do you.

That means zero new content at all. No new maps. No new armor sets, no new anything. Just servers being alive and kept alive.

On 7/24/2023 at 2:30 PM, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Agree with everything but this part. IBS was "sold" as expansion like content.

But yeah, this seems like maintenance mode all over again, but unlike GW1 live team, there's no Linsey Murdock and John Stumme.

Only GW2 has never been in Maintenance mode, you should really actually learn what that means for an MMO.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

I'm finding it hard to personally justify pre-ordering this expansion compared to the previous three... It's being called an expansion, but it's not one, it's a seasonal pass where you have to wait months to get the whole package... drip-fed content was a Living World thing, so I'm not going to pay until the expansion's content is fully released.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

You really don't have a clue what Maintenance mode means do you.

That means zero new content at all. No new maps. No new armor sets, no new anything. Just servers being alive and kept alive.

Only GW2 has never been in Maintenance mode, you should really actually learn what that means for an MMO.

Since GW2 was announced, it recieved GW Beyond and balance patches.
And since GW2 launched, GW1 got several new skills, new weapons, graphical improvements and some QoL. 
Oh knowledgeable one are you going to tell me GW1 isn't on maintenance mode either?

• Confused 8

12 minutes ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

And since GW2 launched, GW1 got several new skills, new weapons, graphical improvements and some QoL. 
Oh knowledgeable one are you going to tell me GW1 isn't on maintenance mode either?

You're getting new playable content here, maps, story, skills, w/e. If that's maintenance mode for you then so is everything else.
Maybe you really just don't understand what these words mean and just think that it's maintenance mode if you dislike what's added?

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

We shall see.  I bought it and will go in with the expectation that we're only getting half an expansion's worth of content at best.  The hope is that the story is as developed as it was for the first two maps of EoD and PoF without open world filler like Gyala Delve.  I'm hoping that the meta events for each map are actually fun to play at not like Gyala Delve where it's just repeating the same thing over and over and the boss is just a sponge.  I'm also hoping that it does not release with as many bug as EoD did.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Where's my new map, new profession, new weapon type, new story, new NPCs, new cutscenes, new features, new mechanics, new voice acting, new armour sets, new materials, new enemies, new bosses, new quests, new currency and new events just to name a few in GW1 as of recent?

If you can't tell the difference between a continuously supported game and maintenance mode, maybe don't use the term.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

You seem to not understand that Gw1 was placed on Maintenance mode... after GW2 launched. 

Not when it was announced. GW1 has since been on that status since gw2 came out, barring a single elite skill for each profession added with the 15th anniversay.

Otherwise all festivals give the same rewards, there aren't any new festival armors, new skills, new maps, new content of any kind.

11 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You're getting new playable content here, maps, story, skills, w/e. If that's maintenance mode for you then so is everything else.
Maybe you really just don't understand what these words mean and just think that it's maintenance mode if you dislike what's added?

I think it goes in hand with people's obsession over saying GW2 is dead or dying. Maintenance mode is basically the step before that.

9 hours ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

Where's my new map, new profession, new weapon type, new story, new NPCs, new cutscenes, new features, new mechanics, new voice acting, new armour sets, new materials, new enemies, new bosses, new quests, new currency and new events just to name a few in GW1 as of recent?

If you can't tell the difference between a continuously supported game and maintenance mode, maybe don't use the term.

It's their word they use everywhere because they know it's not good, but don't bother to actually know what it means. So they make it a meaningless phrase.

• Like 2

As others already stated before me,
it is not a single feature but rather the overall lack of features, the hollow promises of "something" in the future, that grind my gears.

I understand that there is a limit to adding new elite specs, but I do not feel equally compensated for not including new ones.

Adding new weapons to classes is fine, but asking for "full price" for some future update that is not just couple (<5 ) weeks away, is bonkers just as is with the limited selection of weapons that are added. (I want spears for land ;( )

The mockery of a "season pass" to fully let the masks down and show the ugly face of capitalism greed.

I feel betrayed, got "buyers remorse" and am hugely dissatisfied with what feels like a rushed and taped together solution of a cash grab.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I EXTREAMLY regret pre-ordering the expansion. When the sold the pre-order then did not tell us that the weapons wouldn't even be involved in the expansion for another 6 moths. Like what is the point of the expansion then its not even a full product. I think that is so skeevy and greedy of them. The expansion that they advertised isent even a full product which they dident tell us untill just 1 month before release. Its such a rip off but what else do you expect from Anet they stay pulling kitten like this. 

Edited by Padra.1678
  • Like 7
  • Confused 5

I don't regret it at all. This has been a very cheap MMO for me and I'd gladly pay 25 euros for half of the announced features. I've never paid for anything other than the main game and the expansions and I've been playing on and off for a week short of 11 years. Not even 20 euros per year. So it has less content than some others? Still plenty for me at a more than reasonable price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Weird, I saw the very public and very prominent announcements that the contents of the expansion would be spread out over the course of a full year release schedule at the same time that the company opened up preorders. This delayed release aspect was included in the announcement of those features in the first place.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1

Honestly, I won't know until after it goes live.

The weapon freedom and the Relics are of most interest to me, but then again, I never shot for the moon with with legendary runes. lol

The pve legendary armor is of some interest to me, but knowing anet, it will likely require hours of map grinding with large parties of people who are mostly unavailable after the release.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zeivu.3615 said:

Honestly, I won't know until after it goes live.

The weapon freedom and the Relics are of most interest to me, but then again, I never shot for the moon with with legendary runes. lol

The pve legendary armor is of some interest to me, but knowing anet, it will likely require hours of map grinding with large parties of people who are mostly unavailable after the release.

That and you wont be able to finsih the pve legendary collection until 9+ months from now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

While this seems to be a way of acquiring Legendary items without having to play things like Fractals and PvP, it just adds more collections to the long list of collections I haven't been able to complete. Not happy at all about the loss of 10 achievement points from doing dailies. ONE laurel for 10 points???? REALLY??? I hate how the game is becoming more of a grind.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jahaan.1405 said:

While this seems to be a way of acquiring Legendary items without having to play things like Fractals and PvP, it just adds more collections to the long list of collections I haven't been able to complete. Not happy at all about the loss of 10 achievement points from doing dailies. ONE laurel for 10 points???? REALLY??? I hate how the game is becoming more of a grind.

The 10ap still exist for dailies

• Thanks 1

Guess I'll definitely know 9 months from now, thanks to the NeW aNd BeTtEr distribution system.
For now it's a "No I don't regret pre-ordering,I will probably never cash out for an ultimate edition again, at least not as soon as I did this time." I mean the story is fine so far, the maps are beautiful and the mount masteries are great. The Dailies are terrible and the relics are hot garbo. So it is basically what I expected. Woth a few buck but most likely not more than that.

• Like 1

I don't regret the purchase since I think I got decent value for the price. Compared to the price of going to a movie or out to a club or whatever, I'm not worried about "was it worth it." I get the idea of preorder being viewed as a vote of confidence in the game, but what "the game" means to each player is subjective. I suppose mine was a vote of confidence in the idea that I will get some entertainment out of it for some TBD period of time, and again for what I got the price was pretty good.

Do I like the relic system? I'm undecided on the system itself, but the mass deletion of specific effects that people designed builds around for years is total crap. I don't have any legendaries but the people who did have a legit beef and what got parceled out at launch is totally inadequate compensation for even the ordinary runes people had, much less legendaries.

Not a fan of the new map so far, even with the rental-scale the expansion gives you to get around with. If you already had a trained one, you are worlds and away better off than players like me who get the gimme version for use on the new maps. You can use yours almost anywhere, and it is almost certainly faster, more agile, and able to achieve better height than the handout version. Even so, the "streamlined" means of getting the mount was part of my decision to buy the expansion.

Overall I'm undecided on the new content until I play through more of it, but aside from the nuclear nerf they dropped on the runes and the resulting implosion of the metas, I haven't seen much to excite me either positive or negative.

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
clarity
  • Like 1

I may be in the minority, but I didn't pre-order Secrets of the Obscure.  When I asked myself, "Would you rather play SoTO now or in 6 months?"  I found myself learning more towards a 6 month break from the game.  I'll keep an eye of GW2, but I genuinely find myself missing Mike O'Brien's, "When it's ready," mantra.  I'd rather play a polished expansion than "a diamond in the rough," that needs 6 months of additional iteration.  That being the case, I'll consider buying into it in February if it improves itself, but the fact that it needs additional improvement and iteration immediately after launch is concerning.  I'd rather pay full-price for a full expansion than 1/2 now and 1/2 later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2