"A peak inside the Wizard's Vault"

This seems kind of similar to the Endeavours system in Elder Scrolls Online. The underlying motivation is different - that was put in when Microsoft bought Zenimax to comply with Microsoft's policy on loot boxes, which is that anything in them can be earned by playing the game. I never buy loot boxes so I had mixed feelings on that because it's nice that I can now get some of the items from them (and especially that I can buy exactly what I want instead of having a random chance and more likely ending up with something I will never use) but it's annoying that it enables them to stick around longer.

But I've found I actually like the endeavours themselves, which surprised me. I don't use many of the points because it turns out there's not much in the loot boxes I like, I recently hit the semi-arbitrary limit I set for myself so until the loot box with the only top tier mount I like (for the ESO players: it's the Psijic Spectral Steed) returns I could stop doing them, but I've found I don't want to. I will do fewer of them, especially skipping the more tedious weekly ones, but I'll keep doing the ones I find interesting. Which is basically how I approach the dailies in GW2. I don't do them every day, but sometimes I'll feel like doing them or I'll notice I've already completed one and I'll look at what else is on the list for things I want to do. It can be a fun prompt to re-visit an area I haven't been to for a while and more than once going to a map for the daily has turned into seeing someone asking for help with something, and ended up with me doing a meta event I haven't done in ages. (Sadly ESO's endeavours aren't as likely to escalate like that because there's less repeatable activities in that game.)

The difference is that GW2's current dailies give me a bit of gold which I barely notice going into my wallet and some XP scrolls, whereas doing endeavours slowly (very slowly) builds up points I can use for items I otherwise wouldn't get (because I never buy loot boxes), and it sounds like the Wizard's Vault will be similar with the added advantage that stuff won't go away after a period of time so I won't be in the same situation where I've now got far more points than I need for the thing I really want but have to keep waiting for it to come back. I hope it doesn't take as much time to save up for the top rewards though. (Although if I'm right that the 1,300 points shown in the screenshot is a maximum that seems unlikely.)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

I have one question, and it's a rather important one as what I'm seeing first in the screenshot is SPVP...
Do we need to do all of the dailies/weekly to maximize the acclaims, or is there a limit?

Like, will we be FORCED to play SPVP if we want maximum rewards?
Because if that's the case, it's a big fail in the "anxiety free" argument.

it looks like 6/6 and there is not much scrool down

i do pvp but im against ppl are forced to pvp.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Sad to see the traditional/current daily system and login rewards go.

I was certain they would keep the old system for those players who don't own SotO and that this new system would be only accessible by owners of the expansion.

So it's true, no more free 2 gold per day. Hopefully, the new rewards will hold something for everyone. 🙂

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Sad 2

......... of all the things they could do to kill this game, adding a battle/season pass is so high up there its... I just... 

I don't actually know how to respond to this one. The season pass in D2 is why I hate that game with a passion, the fact that if you played Destiny 2 now, you are playing a different game entirely then when it released because ALL of the content from release and 2 DLC's that came after have been entirely removed from the game so that no one can ever play it again for the rest of humanity. 

If they truly add FOMO to GW2 after its existed for 12 years as a game you can put down at any time and return too at any time and not miss anything (besides lw1 stuff but that's already back anyway, and besides their relic system which already messes with this) It will start to prevent people returning entirely. The game is living on people who return to it, if people stop coming back, no one will replace the people quitting. Please. Do not go the FOMO season/battle pass route. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

28 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

......... of all the things they could do to kill this game, adding a battle/season pass is so high up there its... I just... 

I don't actually know how to respond to this one. The season pass in D2 is why I hate that game with a passion, the fact that if you played Destiny 2 now, you are playing a different game entirely then when it released because ALL of the content from release and 2 DLC's that came after have been entirely removed from the game so that no one can ever play it again for the rest of humanity. 

If they truly add FOMO to GW2 after its existed for 12 years as a game you can put down at any time and return too at any time and not miss anything (besides lw1 stuff but that's already back anyway, and besides their relic system which already messes with this) It will start to prevent people returning entirely. The game is living on people who return to it, if people stop coming back, no one will replace the people quitting. Please. Do not go the FOMO season/battle pass route. 

Did you read the article about it at all, or just the more reactive forum posts?

I have no idea where you got the impression that a new daily/weekly reward system would mean removing previous releases from the game. Although that's also something GW2 already did - for the first year and a half all new releases were temporary and removed after 2-4 weeks, that's why Season 1 of the Living World was missing for so long. Obviously they changed their minds on that in 2014 when they switched to permanent releases for Season 2. But it's also nothing at all to do with the new reward system that this topic is about and I can't see how anything in the announcement could have given you that impression.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, PMoneyMobileRobot.4630 said:

But I also hate the look of this because it has jumping puzzles in it.  No offense, but that's one of the worst parts of this game.  Thank god for Mesmers letting you give Anet the finger.

Also, Pvp being in it.

Granted it's optional.

There are JPs and PvPs in the current daily system and also the previous one. I would assume that since the weekly section that we saw had only five things visible but 0/6 completion, there are probably about 10 options so you can still pick what you want. Yeah, 1 was PvP, 2 were PvE, and 2 were WvW, but we received a limited view.

16 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

You have to play PvP and WvW to get maximum possible rewards now.

Source? Don't go making assumptions and stating it as fact.

15 hours ago, Crono.4197 said:

Wait so they're taking away the Daily Login system? No more laurels and mystic coins from login? Just great...they're really trying to force people to do stuff they don't want to, eh?

Force people to play the game? Oh the horror. Who is to say that one of the daily "task" won't be to simply log in? Now instead of getting a scheduled reward, you'll get a currency. Unfortunately we didn't see what the purchase options are, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Mystic Coins or Laurels on that list for 3-4 days of login currency.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gorem.8104 said:

I’d read the blog. There is no fomo. It’s deliberately designed not to have it

The only thing it does is make rewards more expensive after a certain period, which is what gw2 has done many times with its systems

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

The only thing it does is make rewards more expensive after a certain period, which is what gw2 has done many times with its systems

For me this means ignoring what is available now for cheap and steadily accumulating currency. Then I look to the new offerings once I have amassed enough to ignore the “do it quick or it gets more expensive!” pressure.

I spent a month farming keys once for a new BL exclusive before it rotated out. Won’t do that again.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

The visual rewards are retained (albeit at more expensive price). There's also material rewards. If you miss on buying the (for example) clovers this week, are you sure you will be able to buy the double amount next week?

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Dalent.9358 said:

Source? Don't go making assumptions and stating it as fact..

Well they are not wrong to get everything now aka maximum rewards you have to complete every single daily in pve,wvw and spvp section.

You dont have to do it to complete the daily and earn 3 spirit shards and 2 gold tho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

For me this means ignoring what is available now for cheap and steadily accumulating currency. Then I look to the new offerings once I have amassed enough to ignore the “do it quick or it gets more expensive!” pressure.

I spent a month farming keys once for a new BL exclusive before it rotated out. Won’t do that again.

They didn't say one way or the other if the astral currency counter resets at the end of each season/cycle, so you may end up having to use it on something before the end of a cycle and can't save it up for a more expensive item during the next cycle.  So much left unsaid on what has been posted so far...why hold out when we're less than a week away?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Just now, Sylvyn.4750 said:

They didn't say one way or the other if the astral currency counter resets at the end of each season/cycle, so you may end up having to use it on something before the end of a cycle and can't save it up for a more expensive item during the next cycle.  So much left unsaid on what has been posted so far...why hold out when we're less than a week away?

Ooh, this is something I hadn't considered. That'd be terrible for casual players.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Is it just me or are they going to introduce grind as a new feature/reward system?🤔 Just thinking about it: they can just keep dumping cosmetics into the vault from now on, and we would get them by doing basically the same thing what we have been doing for the dailies...instead of placing the new items into their collections, for witch we would need to do new activities as a side quest, for instance how it was with the Caladbolg and many others-those were fun since the activities are tied to the items/cosmetics lorewise and such.The goal for players to have more things to do is good, but this one will always be at the back of the players head since we know its there and it will be the only way to get the specific rewards...with grind not fun. Seems to me as a step back from the innovation I love GW2 for.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

It'll undoubtedly be a wallet currency, and right now there are neither limits nor "expiration dates," so that'd be a fairly significant change.

• Like 4

Maybe, it is more of a case of, you can only "earn" 1300 per *insert nominal time period here* but it's still just a wallet currency.  Can't see them wiping everything out each reset.

In the real world this could equate to your salary and bank balance.  The bank doesn't steal your, unspent, savings each year.

• Like 2

I agree it would be very surprising if they remove any saved astral acclaim at the end of each 'season'. I don't think that happens with anything else in the game. Even the achievements for completing festival dailies X times during a festival roll over from one year to the next.

The nearest I can think of is WvW skirmish track progress resetting each week, but even then you keep the skirmish tickets you've earned, you just get put back to the start of the reward track. It's annoying for people like me who can never finish the track within a week, but you still don't lose currency you've earned, it just slows down earning more of it.

• Like 4

It just occurred to me that I'll get to find out almost immediately how this works out for people who can't play much because next week if things go to plan for me I'll be able to play for a couple of hours on Tuesday and maybe Wednesday, log in briefly on Friday morning then nothing until the following Tuesday. (It sounds strange to say but if that happens it'll be a very good week for me, just not for playing GW2.)

Obviously I'll have to write-off dailies every day except Tuesday, maybe Wednesday and some very quick ones on Friday but I think I might try to complete the weekly just to see how it goes with very limited time to play. Normally I wouldn't bother with optional repeatable stuff like that if I have limited time, but since it's new and I'm curious about how time consuming it will be I want to try. Unless I can tell by looking at the tasks there's no way it's going to work.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

It just occurred to me that I'll get to find out almost immediately how this works out for people who can't play much because next week if things go to plan for me I'll be able to play for a couple of hours on Tuesday and maybe Wednesday, log in briefly on Friday morning then nothing until the following Tuesday. (It sounds strange to say but if that happens it'll be a very good week for me, just not for playing GW2.)

Obviously I'll have to write-off dailies every day except Tuesday, maybe Wednesday and some very quick ones on Friday but I think I might try to complete the weekly just to see how it goes with very limited time to play. Normally I wouldn't bother with optional repeatable stuff like that if I have limited time, but since it's new and I'm curious about how time consuming it will be I want to try. Unless I can tell by looking at the tasks there's no way it's going to work.

Yea, the system does not seem like it will be overly friendly to those that can't log in and play for a block of time each day. 
We still don't know how much 5AA will actually be worth, so on busy (real life) days it seems logging in may not even be worth the time to do anymore.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 8/16/2023 at 11:40 AM, Gorem.8104 said:

But old rewards from previous "seasons" will remain obtainable at all times, so you can't really compare the system to that in other games.

3 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Yea, the system does not seem like it will be overly friendly to those that can't log in and play for a block of time each day. 
We still don't know how much 5AA will actually be worth, so on busy (real life) days it seems logging in may not even be worth the time to do anymore.

Thankfully that's an unusually busy week even for me. But this is actually one of the reasons I got into this game, I liked the idea of MMOs since I first heard about them and my first was Ultima Online, but even back then my free time was limited and unpredictable so I couldn't commit to being online at a regular time every day/week which was needed to actually get anything done in that game. I tried Everquest and Runescape and they were less dependant on player-run activities, but if anything more demanding on your time.

For a long time I just thought MMOs weren't for me, then when I found out about GW1 and that it didn't have a subscription and could be played mostly solo I decided to give it a go and I've been playing GW1 and then GW2 ever since. Based on the times I've tried other MMO/'live service' games in most of them I'd have a hard time getting anywhere with a system like this even in a normal week, so the fact that it's only in an absurdly busy week that I'm not sure I'll be able to do much is a good sign.

I just thought that since the two happen to line up and I'm not going to have time to do much else with SotO I might as well see how it goes.

(And yeah, I got confirmation, it's all happening. Only change is it's Thursday evening I'll be online, not Wednesday.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are very few days where I cannot free up 30 seconds to one minute to log into the game if the rewards for doing so are worth even that small an amount of my time. The key for me is what I get for it. If those rewards are underwhelming then I will not log in unless I have a significant chunk of free time to play. I am looking forward to seeing the prices in the Wizard's Vault.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2