SotO Supply Drop - is it worth it?

I was going to do a version of this calculation for myself and thought I might as well make it public. The idea is to add up the value of the items you actually want and compare that to the asking price to determine if it's good value or not.

For the Black Lion vouchers I very strongly recommend checking which skins are included first. It will not be all of them - only items of that type that have been sold on the gem store directly. Not ones from black lion chests, in-game rewards or other sources and may not include newly released ones.

Here's the actual prices:
Amnytas Feathered Raptors Pack (3 raptor skins) - 1,600 gems (based on the cost of other gem store 3-packs)
Cape Voucher - 500 gems (based on the cost of back items in the gem store)
2 Heroic Boosters - 300 gems
Backpack & Glider Voucher - 700 gems (based on the cost of backpacks and glider combos in the gem store)
/Readbook Emote - 400 gems (based on How to Dance Vol 1)
2 Guarenteed Wardrobe Unlocks - 30 Black Lion Statuettes
Communal Boost Bonfire - 300 gems
Finisher Voucher - 600 gems (based on the cost of finishers on the gem store)
Weapons Voucher - 600 gems (based on the cost of weapons on the gem store)
3 Seven Dragon Dye Packs - 960 - 1,200 gems (based on the price for 1 or the price for 5)
5 Black Lion Chest Keys - 450 gems
2 Miniature Claim Tickets - 20 Black Lion Statuettes
Golden Black Lion Key - 50 Black Lion Statuettes

So in total you'd spend 6,410 gems and 100 Black Lion Statuettes to get all this (and you'd get at least 6 statuettes back from using the keys). But I think it's unlikely anyone wants everything on this list enough that they'd pay for it (and the people who might probably already have all the gem store skins, so even then you'd need to disregard those vouchers). So my advice is to think about what you would pay for, add up the cost of just those and see if it comes to more than the 2,400 gems the supply drop costs.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 1

I'm reeeeally stuck on buying the supply drop this year. I LOVED previous supply drops, particularly the 2021 anniversary one (first one I bought). I'm assuming there won't be an anniversary one due to this one, but man... It sure doesn't seem as shiny as previous years, does it? The EoD ones didn't have the super cool mount selects like previous ones, but in comparison to this one, it at least had weapon selects. I like shiny new things. I like Anet and want to support them. But, gosh, even though this calculation of gem value is the highest out of all of them, why does it feel like it's not?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

For me I do an extra round of calculations: there's a lot of things on the list I could have bought but didn't, sometimes that's because I don't want them at all but at other times it's because I don't like them enough to pay what they cost, so having checked what they cost I think up a 'sale' price that I would have paid and use that.

• I'm a sucker for mount skins so I'd buy those - 1,600 gems.
  • I haven't bought any capes but I have considered one - let's say I'd pay 200 gems for one.
  • I wouldn't buy heroic boosters.
  • There's a few backpack & glider combos I like but apparently not enough to buy them at full price (or I'd have bought them)...so let's say 450 for that.
  • I wouldn't buy the emote, wardrobe unlocks or a bonfire.
  • I don't use finishers often and have a few I really like so I wouldn't buy another.
  • I like some of the weapons, but again not enough to pay for them when they were in the store so let's say I'd pay 300 gems for one.
  • I don't buy dyes on the store but do buy them with gold - that would save me about 60g (which is 155 gems at the current rate).
  • I don't buy keys.
  • I don't need the mini claim ticket but could make about 20g selling them, which is 77 gems.

So that's 2,782 which means it's just about worth getting for me.

1 minute ago, methozbbf.1928 said:

I'm still wondering whether to go for it or not!?
In a few days GW2 will have its 11th anniversary - will there be a birthday drop?

I think it's unlikely, they normally put them at least a few months apart.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Oh, this is a good idea!

2 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

For me I do an extra round of calculations: there's a lot of things on the list I could have bought but didn't, sometimes that's because I don't want them at all but at other times it's because I don't like them enough to pay what they cost, so having checked what they cost I think up a 'sale' price that I would have paid and use that.

• I'm a sucker for mount skins so I'd buy those - 1,600 gems.
  • I haven't bought any capes but I have considered one - let's say I'd pay 200 gems for one.
  • I wouldn't buy heroic boosters.
  • There's a few backpack & glider combos I like but apparently not enough to buy them at full price (or I'd have bought them)...so let's say 450 for that.
  • I wouldn't buy the emote, wardrobe unlocks or a bonfire.
  • I don't use finishers often and have a few I really like so I wouldn't buy another.
  • I like some of the weapons, but again not enough to pay for them when they were in the store so let's say I'd pay 300 gems for one.
  • I don't buy dyes on the store but do buy them with gold - that would save me about 60g (which is 155 gems at the current rate).
  • I don't buy keys.
  • I don't need the mini claim ticket but could make about 20g selling them, which is 77 gems.

So that's 2,782 which means it's just about worth getting for me.

I think it's unlikely, they normally put them at least a few months apart.

You might wait to purchase this until later this week; I purchased the Supply Drop and the Amnytas Feathered Raptors Mounts Pack: This package includes the Sky Runner Feathered Raptor Skin, Island Sprinter Feathered Raptor Skin, and Charged Feathered Raptor Skin gives absolutely nothing when used. 

I've posted in 'Bugs' and sent a ticket to the CS Team.  I hope it will be fixed soon. 

Disregard.  User error; I'm an idiot. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Yes. That's a good list - saw this info included in the wiki as well. I decided to buy the supply drop. The 2nd one I got. (And I play since June 2019 ... also in 2012/13 but then there were no supply drops.) EoD one was easy cause of the contract board. Not much other interesting stuff needed and I decided that it was worth it. I love to upgrade the home instance with anything possible. (Only missing the chest from treasure hunter collection and the fractal cat.)

Here the decision seemed harder. Since I got 4k from the Ultimate edition still - not really in need of bank and storage expanders (though I still need to max out there - and plan to eventually max out until they increase the limit again and again and again) and I usually don't buy skins.

I guess the cape, backpack and emore are things I might use. Raptor skin - though an expensive part of the list - I'll avoid. Wardrobe unlocks and finisher voucher is also nice though. And the golden key - though I probably will get trash anyways lol. I try to safe the statuettes as good as possible and already checked the wiki for the mini vouchers. There are some that are account bound and cost 2 vouchers (where the mini originally was worth 300-400 gems or so).

I'd have loved to see a bit SotO relevant stuff (not just the borign skins 😄 / selectable license would have been better) included as well though. (Item to unlock a mid sized amount of acclaim for that new daily "vendor". Where it could be put in bank for people that do not buy SotO - for later use. And exlusively only in this drop available.)

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 12:54 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Kinda strange that its a raptor pack when the expansion it self heavily incentivise flying mounts.

Same i would have bought it if it had skyscale or even a mix of ground and flying mounts thats what would be nice. But mounts all the same, noty 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• ArenaNet Staff
On 8/15/2023 at 10:50 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

I was going to do a version of this calculation for myself and thought I might as well make it public. The idea is to add up the value of the items you actually want and compare that to the asking price to determine if it's good value or not.

For the Black Lion vouchers I very strongly recommend checking which skins are included first. It will not be all of them - only items of that type that have been sold on the gem store directly. Not ones from black lion chests, in-game rewards or other sources and may not include newly released ones.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this! I posted this elsewhere and thought it would be of interest to you: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last time I purchased a supply drop for mount skin(s), the skin was in a later mount pack. Customer support did, eventually, refund the one ticket I couldn't use from the pack but told me it was a one time thing and to be more careful. So why should I buy this one and risk shooting myself in the foot? I would like the read emote but based on my last experience... I'll pass.

Edited by LadyMari.7920
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

fyi, I bought the drop last night and was a bit disappointed in the raptor skins, with one exception.

All 3 and the skin that comes with SOTO deluxe/ultimate have the exact same saddle/armour/feathers etc with only some slight variation in body patterning which is not all that noticeable since it's mostly covered by the armour/saddle.

The only exception that I could see was the charged raptor had the lightning/glowy effect which also glows in the dark which looks great. Btw, this skin appears to have a fault in the left leg armour where the glow effect is bleeding through.

It would have been nice if there was more variation in the armour or feathers or the tassels.

• Like 1

I like to have vouchers since it allows me to get unavailable gemstore items when needed in Fashion Wars. Looking forward to /readbook emote as well.

But honestly, the raptor pack skin is a disappointment and it holds the biggest gem value in the drop. It only adds minor changes to Astral Ward raptor which comes with the deluxe edition. As others have said, there should be more variations in the armour, etc.

Either way, I bought it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes. I bought the standard expansion and glad I did as I feel have better value than getting deluxe (or ultimate). 

I expect weight on account value and care less about gold.

Does it have value on other players? Maybe not. But if I am wasting time in this game, better make it in style. :)

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, LadyMari.7920 said:

Last time I purchased a supply drop for mount skin(s), the skin was in a later mount pack. Customer support did, eventually, refund the one ticket I couldn't use from the pack but told me it was a one time thing and to be more careful. So why should I buy this one and risk shooting myself in the foot? I would like the read emote but based on my last experience... I'll pass.

As far as I remember none of the supply drops have had exclusive items. I might be forgetting something because I haven't gotten all of them but I think the appeal is the discount over buying the same stuff separately, not that it's the only way to get some part of the package.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

It's a great point until you factor in the free griffon skin and kryptis skin included in the game and the many more flying skins they might not want to spoil just yet.

They can just use older skins. I’d have thought new skins they can get more use out of in the expac would encourage higher sales of the supply drop. It shouldn’t affect later skins and will give a bit more variety

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 6:54 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Kinda strange that its a raptor pack when the expansion it self heavily incentivise flying mounts.

I suppose that's because they've just added the Astral Ward Feathered Raptor with the expansion and this pack contains three variants on that model.