It would be great if "stack on green circle" training was added to the game

It's up to you to stack on other people. People will visual effects off can't see it on others.

5 hours ago, Majic.4801 said:

Wait... you're supposed to stack on the green circle?

It's supposed to split the damage between everyone in the circle, but it seems to not split and hits twice. It's vaguely explained in the story, but since it doesn't kill you and the NPC will stack on you, it can be entirely ignored.

17 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

It's up to you to stack on other people. People will visual effects off can't see it on others.

It's supposed to split the damage between everyone in the circle, but it seems to not split and hits twice. It's vaguely explained in the story, but since it doesn't kill you and the NPC will stack on you, it can be entirely ignored.

There is no NPC, it's implemented as one of the random champion kryptis mechanics, and champs can spawn in the presence of only three players.

It's not possible to do that when 4 of you are fighting a kryptis from a rift, the other three are spread out, and move away when you try to stack. And then I watched all of us become downed. One person accused me of trolling and trying to kill everyone when I said to stack on my green circle as I was running towards people to try to get them to stand in it. Thus, it is not just people not knowing the mechanic, it's also people who either don't know the mechanic, or are trolling, giving people the wrong information as well. One would think it would be obvious to stack, after the call to stack has been ignored and everyone has been downed because of it, but no.

Stacking on green circles has been a mechanic in OW since at least when the Drakkar fight in the Bjora Marches came out - it is not a new mechanic. It is implemented as one of the random champion kryptis mechanics, and champs can spawn in the presence of only three players.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Hesione.9412 said:

There is no NPC, it's implemented as one of the random champion kryptis mechanics, and champs can spawn in the presence of only three players.

It's not possible to do that when 4 of you are fighting a kryptis from a rift, the other three are spread out, and move away when you try to stack. And then I watched all of us become downed. One person accused me of trolling and trying to kill everyone when I said to stack on my green circle as I was running towards people to try to get them to stand in it. Thus, it is not just people not knowing the mechanic, it's also people who either don't know the mechanic, or are trolling, giving people the wrong information as well. One would think it would be obvious to stack, after the call to stack has been ignored and everyone has been downed because of it, but no.

Stacking on green circles has been a mechanic in OW since at least when the Drakkar fight in the Bjora Marches came out - it is not a new mechanic. It is implemented as one of the random champion kryptis mechanics, and champs can spawn in the presence of only three players.

In the case of the SotO champions, they're right though. The mechanic with them is bugged and green circles just seem to down everone in them. I tried and tried, even stacking 5 people, damage was not reduced one bit. Breaking line of sight to the boss avoids damage, and failing that, quick rezzing is the only cure for now.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Hesione.9412 said:

It also occurs in the story, which is where it's explained, but can be entirely ignored since it doesn't kill you and the NPC will stack on you.

I think all professions technically have a way of mitigating or preventing this damage, but in many cases it would require running a specific elite spec just to do so (e.g. Ranger having to run Untamed to get Perilous Gift, or Thief having to run Specter to get shroud). They’re also wildly different in both how precise the timing needs to be and how quickly they can use it again.

Tempest’s “Rebound!” seems the obvious choice to allow small groups to survive this mechanic (5s of invulnerability for allies), but it should just work as intended and also not trigger at all for < 3 players, and only trigger on one player then to allow the other two to stack.

Edited by Manpag.6421
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

It may be bugged but as of now you must get out of LOS for SoTO only champs casting the green circle or you die. If this is intended I don't know why they couldn't make a different circle animation for this for some reason. Hide behind a rock or even standing behind the boss works (If boss turns around you die though). I have confirmed testing with friends you can stack multiple green circles and not take any damage as long as you're all out of line of sight (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT FOR EVERYONE TO BE OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT OR DEAD!!!).
To put it shortly:
Stacking in green circle is death if boss is in line of sight even if you have 40 people in it.

Edited by Friede.7593
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/27/2023 at 12:40 PM, Friede.7593 said:

It may be bugged but as of now you must get out of LOS for SoTO only champs casting the green circle or you die. If this is intended I don't know why they couldn't make a different circle animation for this for some reason. Hide behind a rock or even standing behind the boss works (If boss turns around you die though). I have confirmed testing with friends you can stack multiple green circles and not take any damage as long as you're all out of line of sight (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT FOR EVERYONE TO BE OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT OR DEAD!!!).
To put it shortly:
Stacking in green circle is death if boss is in line of sight even if you have 40 people in it.

This is helpful and useful information, thank you.  So is this the Unstable Magic Ability - Sniper mechanic?  The wiki for that entry does not say anything about a green circle/yellow arrow graphic.  Is this a different mechanic?

Or are we supposed to figure all this out from yet another, miniscule 10 pixel wide box on the condition/boon bar that Anet expects us to notice buried with 20+ other boxes while trying to make sense of the completely obscuring spell/ability FX in mass combats?   (I really detest needing to track insta-kill conditions like that, I want to play the game not play some user interface)

On 8/27/2023 at 12:52 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

No, the Soto map champs green circle is line of sight based. So either it’s broken or they reused the visual mechanics for the stacking version

That's unfortunate if true.  That bug would be teaching players to do the wrong thing since trial and error is the only way to figure these mechanics and ArenaNet still haven't managed to get away from their GW1 tradition of not explaining their game systems adequately.

Edited by DoctorOverlord.8620
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

I wonder if part of the problem is that it's green. Red/green colour blindness is fairly common, and a lot of people don't realise they have it until someone else points it out. (There was a very popular reddit post where someone only found out as an adult after sharing a photo of Skittles he'd separated by colour.)

There's a lot of things which put red circles on players where they need to run away from other players, because if it hits one player it won't do much but if everyone is stacked up it can down the entire group.

I know the green one also has arrows pointing in, but they can be hard to see when there's a lot going on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/27/2023 at 5:35 AM, Hesione.9412 said:

Or, it could just be restricted to instanced content like strikes. A bit tired of dying to the rift bosses because people won't stack on the green circle.

A text on the screen should be the minimum.

As for training, there should be a training ground for several mechanics in general.
The training ground in EoD is nice and includes dodging, CC and combo fields. However, the problem is it's in EoD and that's not a place new players visit early.

The special training area could be perfect for this purpose. Green mechanics, CC, combo fields, all the ley line abilities many champions/legendary bosses have, maybe even some raid/strike mechanics. All this could be trained there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The whole open world Rift Hunt mechanic mess is what causes people to believe that green circles are bad. Now you see some new players run away from green during boss mechanics. GG. 😄

Why do you get down voted? You are 100% correct. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

i think you're supposed to spread the greens and then stack a certain number of players in each, so its a combination of orange and green mechanic. its the version used in the secrets of the obscure strike missions (dagda and cerus) that doesn't work correctly and just lets you stack everyone together.

the open-world versions all seem to work as intended.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Confused 1

The fact that even people on this forum aren't sure how they work and if it's always the same or if there's a few versions, or if some are bugged, makes me think it definitely needs to be made clearer somehow.

I doubt Anet are going to add a comprehensive tutorial for combat mechanics, because they've never done it before in spite of it being requested since the game coming out and having re-worked the new player experience several times, but they could at least make sure the markers are consistent across the whole game like they are for other things.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

The problem is 1) the open world version in SotO is broken, so it just kills everyone who stands in it instead of splitting the damage like it's supposed to and 2) everywhere else the mechanic is simply ignored and healed through (e.g. ToF, vale guardian).

I thought they fixed that bug a few months back. Or did I imagine that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The fact that even people on this forum aren't sure how they work and if it's always the same or if there's a few versions, or if some are bugged, makes me think it definitely needs to be made clearer somehow.

It can only be made clearer if it worked consistently. It does not however - each "green" implementation works a bit differently and has some unique spin on it. In some cases, the differences can be quite big, actually. Unless you mean reworking whole system so each different type of mechanic has clearly distinct (and easily readable) visuals. With "damage share" looking different than "have specific number of people inside to clear" mechanics, for example.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3