Serpents Ire for Wizards Vault Weekly Rotation

I like the idea.

I actually like doing Serpent's Ire and even organising it, but I don't tend to do that unless I know at least 1 other person wants to do it. But all it really needs is enough people and/or good organisation, so I think it would work well as a weekly. That would partially fix the reward problem as well, because you'd get the AA as an additional reward. I've seen it succeed when it started with about 5, got up to 10 by the end of the first phase and about 20-25 by the end, but that was a well organised group (in particular they knew to spread out during the hunt for the Zealots and were able to break defiance bars whenever they came up).

I wouldn't want it to come up too often though. I like the Zen Daiju mini dungeon too but even I ended up skipping that one a few times because I'd done it multiple times recently and it kept on coming up. (Although if you get that and something like 'break a defiance bar' and 'use combo attacks' you can often do all 3 in one, which makes it quicker overall.)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kiroho.4738 said:

I would be fine with it, but I'm afraid this will end up in one of the two weeklies people (can) skip.
In the end it's just 50 AA and that's may not enough of a motivation.

Don't need to get everyone trying to do it, just give people a reason to do it this week so you're more likely to get it to happen.

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I wouldn't want it to come up too often though. I like the Zen Daiju mini dungeon too but even I ended up skipping that one a few times because I'd done it multiple times recently and it kept on coming up. (Although if you get that and something like 'break a defiance bar' and 'use combo attacks' you can often do all 3 in one, which makes it quicker overall.)

Yeah, they really need to add more minidungeons to the daily rotations. It gets tiring when it's always Vexa's Lab, Zen Daijun, or The Long Way Around, especially since they pretty much always seem to be paired with Activity Completer. Those three and Vasburg Armory really do seem like they're all that's in the rotation.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see this in there as an option as well. This meta has become the roadblock for another achievement I'm trying to get,

I still think the Wizard's Vault has issues in how it works, but it could be used as a positive to help players get some of the lesser attended group content done. As of now all we get are lots and lots and lots of repeats. I mean, I know one of the main themes of SotO is grinding the same content over and over and over and over, but that does not NEED to apply to the WV as well. 😏

• Sad 1

If I had the time and could find what looks like an organized map, I'd try it.  But if not, I'd certainly skip it.  Really the event needs to be fixed so that the difficulty and rewards match up.(this would help an number of events and metas)  If Anet don't match up difficulty and rewards better, it probably won't make much difference in the number of players doing the event.  

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Elden Arnaas.4870 said:

If I had the time and could find what looks like an organized map, I'd try it.  But if not, I'd certainly skip it.  Really the event needs to be fixed so that the difficulty and rewards match up.(this would help an number of events and metas)  If Anet don't match up difficulty and rewards better, it probably won't make much difference in the number of players doing the event.  

I just tried it today. At the very least, the first part of the event needs to be less of a blind hunt and the second part needs to scale to lower numbers of players.

Because yeah, compared to other metas, the pain of wasting 30 minutes or so was not nearly worth the potential reward. I completely understand why people avoid it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

i find it very strange that of all the meta events, jumping puzzles, world bosses, minidungeons, etc. they only added like 1% to the vault. its like the vault was designed by someone who doesn't play the game has no idea this massive world full of content exists, and its really getting exhausting doing the same things over and over again while the content that players actually need is no longer frequented with very few methods of drawing other players to it in the future.

they have this amasing tool that can fix so many problems and just won't use it for that.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

i find it very strange that of all the meta events, jumping puzzles, world bosses, minidungeons, etc. they only added like 1% to the vault. its like the vault was designed by someone who doesn't play the game has no idea this massive world full of content exists, and its really getting exhausting doing the same things over and over again while the content that players actually need is no longer frequented with very few methods of drawing other players to it in the future.

they have this amasing tool that can fix so many problems and just won't use it for that.

I agree that it's weird so few of each activity type are included, but if it was done by someone who doesn't play and doesn't know much about the game I'd actually expect the opposite: they'd find a list somewhere of all the jumping puzzles, mini dungeons etc. and add all of them to the rotation because they wouldn't know which to pick. So the problem would be wildly varying difficulty - one day we'd have Urmaug's Secret (which is very short, in a city and I'm not sure it's actually possible to die inside) and another we'd have Chalice of Tears as if that's the same thing because it's also a jumping puzzle.

I think Elder Scrolls Online had that problem when they added a similar system (called Endeavours). Some days you get 'kill 20 skeletons' or 'kill 15 beasts' or some other common type of enemy. Other days it's the same numbers required but it's something very rare and hard to find. Once it was something that as far as players knew only appeared in a few quests and one DLC dungeon, until someone discovered by accident that a bunch of enemies which look completely different and have a different name are the same thing reskinned. That really looks like someone just pulled up a table of where each creature type is used and approved all the ones which are in open-world maps, without realising players had no way to know that.

To me the WV activities looks like someone cherry picked options, and my guess is either they based it on what they personally consider not too easy and not too hard (and ended up with a very narrow list) or they pulled stats on how often each one is completed and picked the most rarely completed ones that aren't stupidly difficult in the hope that it'd get more people to do them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danikat.8537 said:

To me the WV activities looks like someone cherry picked options, and my guess is either they based it on what they personally consider not too easy and not too hard (and ended up with a very narrow list) or they pulled stats on how often each one is completed and picked the most rarely completed ones that aren't stupidly difficult in the hope that it'd get more people to do them.

If that is the case and someone looked at Serpent's Ire and was like "nope, this would NOT go over well!", that should tell them something, too. 😁

On 11/14/2023 at 11:35 AM, odinsauge.7534 said:

Can we get that meta as Wizards Vault weekly?

This meta is almost not done anymore but needed for a bunch of achievements and collections.

Then most people would just ignore that objective. Serpent's Ire is IMO the worst meta-event ever added to the game. The design of it is extremely annoying. Even after you get past the gate of needing mobs that spawn in random locations the boss will go invulnerable every 5% starting at 20% health and then you have an annoying and prolonged for no reason, badly scaled intermission event.

For Serpent's Ire to be included in the rotation Serpent's Ire needs to be redesigned to be actually enjoyable and less of a waste of time. It would have to give ten times the rewards of Dragon Storm for me to even CONSIDER going there and with the current design I would probably still skip it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Neferpitouh.4356 said:

Strongly disagree. Only put popular metas on VW. I don't want VW objectives feel like a chore.

The point is, popular metas don't need the boost. 

But yes, Serpent's Ire does need some adjusting, too, before it is really viable anymore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neferpitouh.4356 said:

Strongly disagree. Only put popular metas on VW. I don't want VW objectives feel like a chore.

They could add a new slot for less desirable ones. Having more options for completing the weekly chest wouldn't hurt. How many people actually do them all? I don't imagine it'd impact the economy too badly. 

Maybe general community could post a list of metas which one way or another could have better rewards, even if only once per day or week, and give some resoning for it, like this event takes 15 min, and you need press buttons hard to complete, so maybe make it worth 4 gold with some fancy options in.

Any meta could be made interesting enought with daily clover, mystic coin, or just 3 rares.

9 weekly options with obligatory 6 is also good. So ppl can ignore puzzles.

Edited by evilcat.6817

On 11/14/2023 at 11:35 AM, odinsauge.7534 said:

Can we get that meta as Wizards Vault weekly?

This meta is almost not done anymore but needed for a bunch of achievements and collections.

The primary issue with Serpent's Ire is not with the rewards. They are bad, sure, but the main issue lies with the meta itself being just really "unfriendly" and badly designed. It would be far better to address that mess first, instead of pushing people into it and just generating more discontent.

2 hours ago, evilcat.6817 said:

Any meta could be made interesting enought with daily clover, mystic coin, or just 3 rares.

With the curent design, Serpent's Ire will never be "interesting" no matter how high the rewards would be. At best it might become an annoying chore you have to do, but you just can't make it something players might actually like doing without a significant redesign.

Notice, that good rewards for bad content just generates unhappy players who feel they are put in a lose/lose situation. You really do not want to go that way.

TL/DR version: sure, it's fine to promote content that is less popular now due to low rewards. It does not mean we should be promoting bad content however. And Serpent's Ire is just bad.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1