When are you going to balance builds in pve?

Sparetent.9756

Honestly, am so bored of finally finding something I enjoy playing, and it's useless! So I play it, because it's fun, and have to spend 10-15s killing stuff while everyone else walks in and one-shots every mob that they look at!

Example, trying to do the "Kill 100 Jade Mechs" weekly, and can't even tag a mob before it's melted by a Necro or something else.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 23
  • Sad 1

How do you propose they balance this around a system that allows players to choose, for example, all defensive and healing traits and stats?  Should such choices be rewarded with competitive DPS?  And if they were, what about the builds that choose all damage traits and gear?  If they're balanced to deal the same damage as tanky/healy defensive builds, shouldn't they get the same defense?  At that point what choices are you really making?  Might as well just force people to choose tank/healer/DPS, automatically assign them stats appropriate to their role selection, and then give me a few low-impact trait selections to support that choice.  That's easy to balance, right?

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, Sparetent.9756 said:

Honestly, am so bored of finally finding something I enjoy playing, and it's useless! So I play it, because it's fun, and have to spend 10-15s killing stuff while everyone else walks in and one-shots every mob that they look at!

Example, trying to do the "Kill 100 Jade Mechs" weekly, and can't even tag a mob before it's melted by a Necro or something else.

What are you playing? Maybe use the http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWAAA-e

So you can show us?

• Thanks 1

@Sparetent.9756 if a build is enjoyable as you say don't worry about it.  Put it this way if you also had a glass cannon full dmg build that mob that dies in seconds will simply die even faster.  If you want to max out your mob tagging, pop a single aoe spell on your setup, otherwise simply pick another area to play.

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Sparetent.9756 said:

If it takes you 10-15s to kill regular enemies the fault doesn't lie with the game, you're either wearing junk or what you're enjoying is not traits made for damage.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Sparetent.9756 said:

Balance problems exist, you're right about that. But if you think there is that big of a difference between properly made builds, you're being delusional. Unless you consider getting every traitline that is meant for survival, support or some other utility and expecting it to deal as much damage as a pure dps setup a proper build, the fault lies with your own gameplay. 

There is also the matter of condi vs power. If you play a condi build while killing trash mobs, veterans etc. that's akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

The classes are actually rather well balanced against each other in PvE. They are grossly overpowered, but everything is almost equally overpowered.

It's actually a feat with current balance to make a really bad build for open world. I applaud you TC, you still seem to have managed to pull it off.

My advice: spend 5 minutes on researching builds or weapons used. Or if that's to much to ask, just go full celestial and randomize the rest. Full celestial will take care of most stuff in open world content and it makes no difference if you decide to run condi and power weapons mixed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Passerbye.6291 said:

Balance problems exist, you're right about that. But if you think there is that big of a difference between properly made builds, you're being delusional. Unless you consider getting every traitline that is meant for survival, support or some other utility and expecting it to deal as much damage as a pure dps setup a proper build, the fault lies with your own gameplay. 

What do you mean my old AFK Bauble farm Soldier's Herald running Salvation and Retribution has no damage? Unbalanced game!

15 minutes ago, Passerbye.6291 said:

There is also the matter of condi vs power. If you play a condi build while killing trash mobs, veterans etc. that's akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Reminds me of the complaining I witnessed in the Crystal Desert some months back that Mirage can't kill small trash as fast as a Soulbeast.

• Haha 2

To be a bit more constructive.  I think the tools are there to make builds that give a good balance of whatever it is you're looking for.  You just have to be smart about it.  I think a lot of inexperienced players especially come up with these concepts that they really want to work, but they don't understand the mechanics well enough to realize the impact of the choices they're making on overall performance.

When I first started out, there weren't all these resources available for solo players.  Experienced players just said to use berserker gear.  But I really struggled with sustain going by that advice, and I made my situation worse by taking defensive traits and utilities to compensate.  That just made for a build that was still low sustain but also really weak damage!  From that perspective, almost anything seemed like an upgrade, so I came up with my own homecooked builds based on concept (water ele with zealot gear!) and they were just as terrible.

Today we have better resources and there are builds available for more than just "Go zerk or go home!"  If you want high sustain, you can do that without giving up all of your damage.  But again, you have to be smart about it.  So, if you don't know enough to make your own build that you find satisfying, I would advise using the advice of more experienced players to come up with something that works well enough that you don't feel miserable playing the game.  That may require giving up on some of the ideas you had for your build (like my poor water ele!), but I think ultimately you should be able to come up with something that you find enjoyable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Why do you assume it's a balancing issue? What builds are you using? It's hard to tell what the actual problem is with builds you are using. Pretty much every spec can be built to tag and kill stuff in a reasonable time in OW content. If you provide more info, people can give you more specific help. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 12/31/2023 at 6:33 PM, Sparetent.9756 said:

Well depending on your build you might have to accept you'll be slower at killing, but exceed somewhere else, if you do not exceed anywhere else, your build has major issues, either by lack of synergy or gear quality.

If you do however exceed in something else and that something else does not interest you, maybe it's time to change a few things.

In case you can't abandon your existing build for reasons you alone may ever know, try changing background stuff like sigils/rune/relic, maybe even traits that you won't particularly miss.

One thing is true though, never expect to be the best when you decide to give up performance for fun or looks. I can assure you of that.

Being something fun is objective and can never be balanced around individual level. What you may find fun may feel absolutely bland to me and vice versa.

My main is a ranger and i have 4 full different sets and build's on that character.

Druid healer build for fractals/strikes

Soulbeast DPS build for fractals/strike

WvW build

and finally my favorite own made Celestial druid build. Now my druid build is extremely tanky and good dps balance with sufficient boons and heal that can easily solo HoT hero points without any issue. I always run this build in open world but i also know its not the highest dps build around, that's why i also keep my soulbeast build which is couple clicks away if i am joining any instanced content.

Nothing wrong with keeping fun and optimized gear and build on your main professions simultaneously and keep your fun build for 95% of the content while swapping to optimized for 5% when you are doing anything competitive. Seems a fair trade off to me.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 8:33 AM, Sparetent.9756 said:

You do damage either by condi or strike damage. You survive by vit, toughness ( not as important as it should be ), and healing power. 
If your taking that long to kill stuff compared to other then its probably you going too far into vit, toughness and healing power and not enough into what buffs your damage.
The truth is condi only takes 2 stats to do damage... condi dmg and expertise.
Well strike damage takes 3 stats... power, prec, ferocity.
You also get more overall stats going celestial gear and having a hybrid build.
See Hizen on youtube for great ideas for celestial open world pve builds if you want.
You also have dodge to negate all damage and boons like aegis to negate damage.
You then also have boons like might. 

You have to balance*** out all of that. I would assume you honestly probably need dif stats on your gear but I do not know what you're running.

If your taking that long you...
Invest too much into survival stats and need to dodge more. If you want to face tank everything then your not going to have much damage. That is a balance in gear. Even necro reaper with shroud will see shroud get burned out from taking too much damage if they go too squishy in pve. OR do little to no damage.
Invest too little into stacking boons like might when not in a group. They make a large difference even when solo. Might could be 750 to 1000 power or condi damage. This could get you from 2000 power to 3000 power. That is a 50% increase. This is a balance in traits. You may have to give up some survivability for some boon stacking and damage. 

It sounds like you're trying to play a group tanking build which in other games is a thing but gw2 has no dedicated tank. Also even in other games a dedicated group tank build is not going to do well solo tbh. If you want something with that feel there is builds but you have to balance in some damage on your gear and some ability to stack up boons in your traits. 
You can get the playstyle you want but you need to balance out your stats on your gear and some of your traits. 

What are you trying to play? What class / spec ? What gear are you running ? You could probably get some good sujestions on how to make a small tweak to get the feel you want!
PVE is not just PVE its open world // fractals and strikes // raids. Within each will have a different requirment for balance of stats and traits. 
Not saying you cant get the feel you want in regards to playstyle. Sometimes its the difference of a stat combination on your gear or even one major trait that when combined with what your doing makes a large difference in your damage. You may just be missing part of the equation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at OP's post history, this does indeed seem like a case of using wrong gears and traits.

Pretty much every class has a trait or two or a skill that converts outgoing damage to healing/barrier (relevant to OP, for ex. Invigorating Precision on DD and Restorative Strikes on Untamed) and with those traits, it's usually most useful to maximize DPS (while trying to get might, fury and quickness on self) to maximize heals and to minimize the enemies' life expectancy to minimize incoming damage.

• Thanks 1

This reminds me seeing people in PvE/WvW walking around with some random selection of stats they decided to slap on their stuff, random sigils and runes with no sync in mind at all and some random utilities with random weapon sets and it takes them years to kill something, for example killing a sentry in WvW like goddamn it's been 10sec and the sentry is at 80% 🤣 

I have even seen people dying to a t0 camp, like for real that is embarrassing since a t0 camp is equal or even less threatening than a group of mobs from the newest content in the game (for example SoTo)

Edited by DarkFlopy.8197
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2023 at 12:14 PM, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

If it takes you 10-15s to kill regular enemies the fault doesn't lie with the game, you're either wearing junk or what you're enjoying is not traits made for damage.

What, you don't like smashing bricks together repeatedly until one crumbles?  I suppose some of us have finer tastes then.  /sarcasm

Anyway, well done OP, good bait.  If you're not trolling though, I'd highly recommend either trying new things or playing at like 3am, or even just taking your time getting kills and tags here and there because the game is kinda designed for that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 6:12 PM, Raarsi.6798 said:

What, you don't like smashing bricks together repeatedly until one crumbles?  I suppose some of us have finer tastes then.  /sarcasm

Anyway, well done OP, good bait.  If you're not trolling though, I'd highly recommend either trying new things or playing at like 3am, or even just taking your time getting kills and tags here and there because the game is kinda designed for that.

Now now…..  if he wants to play hardcore difficulty, thats ok.    Ok until they start dragging the rest of us into it, due to lack comprehension.  

• Haha 1