Why only CatCommander

I hate cats I don't join Cat commanders. There I said it, and I am sure there are people that don't understand why this could be possible. But I don't care.

BUT:

Why haven't we had other types of commander Like:

• Dog Commander.
  • Fish Commander.
  • Mouse Commander.
  • Bat Commander.
  • Rat Commander.

Or even:

• Skritt Commander.
  • Quaggan Commander.
  • Dredge Commander.

It's would be nice to have a better choice. Is it because some kitten wanted to be a cat commander that we got cat commander? Or are we just catering for the love struck kitty lovers? I don't get what it is about cats people go nuts for?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 17
  • Sad 1

Does it matter what shape the tag is?

I suspect the starting point was wanting to add more varieties of commander tag and deciding a different shape would be easier to distinguish than more colours and the styalised cat face is distinct enough from the original, and also a fun novelty for players.

Anet do seem to like cats (I mean, one playable race is based on cats) so it probably seemed like a logical choice to them, but I don't see why it matters when choosing which squad to join.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I think Commander tags should be kept simple. At least the Catmander tag looks somewhat similar in shape to the original Commander tag, so that's okay. Adding a variety of other shapes/pets will only confuse players when they look at the map.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

My theory: Because all the people that made the catmander jp have probably long since left, so if we got another face for the commander tag they wouldn't be able to dream up the kind of nightmare jp needed to make you crazy before you get the new tag. 🤪

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 4/13/2024 at 8:55 AM, Reincarnated.1754 said:

I hate cats I don't join Cat commanders. There I said it, and I am sure there are people that don't understand why this could be possible. But I don't care.

BUT:

Why haven't we had other types of commander Like...

I'm not particularly a cat person either but I gotta say, OP, that first sentence of yours cracks me up. You won't join a catmander tag because you hate cats? Your loss, not anyone else's.  😂

BUT:

The answer to your question should be obvious to anyone reading this thread. The only animal tag we have is the Catmander tag. The only (living) animals we can get for our home instances are cats. (I added the qualifier there because we do get dead animals in our home instances - dead birds, left by the cats.) The only race based on a non-human animal we have are Char, clearly feline. (Are Asura based on rats? I dunno, I'm not gonna touch that one, since I know some Asura lovers). It seems pretty obvious that somewhere high up in the Anet hierarchy there is a crazy cat person with enough clout to force their catmania into Tyria.

Though there do seem to be some fish lovers (fish based backpack), bat lovers (bats hovering around a 2nd gen staff) as well as Quaggan and Skritt lovers (Quaggan backpacks,  and either Quaggan or Skritt can live in one's home instances, depending on story choices), somewhere in the Anet hierarchy. The most notable missing animals in all this are dogs. I'm not a dog person either though, so I'm not gonna cry about that. (Hmm, come to think of it, a ranger can get dogs as pets, iirc.)

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am fairly sure the catmander tag is simply a play on words for commander.

I suppose a lizard tag for salamander, or possibly a flame. 

After that, a leaf for salad-mander. (It doesn't have to be sylvari exclusive, but sylvari commanders will probably want one.)

For anyone who still likes Taimi there could be a walkie-talkie icon for a comm-mander.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Haha 4

On 4/13/2024 at 8:55 PM, Reincarnated.1754 said:

BUT:

Why haven't we had other types of commander Like:

• Dog Commander.
  • Fish Commander.
  • Mouse Commander.
  • Bat Commander.
  • Rat Commander.

Or even:

• Skritt Commander.
  • Quaggan Commander.
  • Dredge Commander.

It's would be nice to have a better choice. Is it because some kitten wanted to be a cat commander that we got cat commander? Or are we just catering for the love struck kitty lovers? I don't get what it is about cats people go nuts for?

skrit commader is very good for open world 

great idea

• Confused 3

i honestly for whatever reason thought there would be like a dragon themed tag you could get in eod, why i thought this idk but i still think it could be a cool idea. i dont see the problem at all with other tags but i also think your desperate avoidance of a silly image on a mini map is weird as well. so overall you made a good suggestion but the nonsense about the stuff is just not needed.

• Like 1

I think there is no need to create new types of Commander tag, just give us more colour choices on existing ones and maybe add a shiny outline on those tag icons on the World map for easier spotting.

Edited by Sugar Min.5834
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

It's been a while since I got mine, but wasn't the cat version from one of the cat commanders in the WvW jumping puzzles that are also part of the cat scavenger hunt? That would be why, I would wager, as opposed to it being , like, the first step towards marketing commander tag variations.

The herding cats was a good bonus joke.

• Like 2

For commanders who make a squad exclusively from the variants of a single profession. 

I suggest the Gerrymander.  The icon would be some ridiculous shape with uneven sides random projections and curves.

For example: a squad with just thieves, deadeyes, daredevils, and specters; but some are running builds that provide boon support, healing, ect.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4