Changes to UNDERWATER combat [merged]

I have always loved underwater combat it. It was one of the things that stood out to me when I first got this game after it's launch. It was the first MMO I played that attempted to do that and all things considered, it is one of the better underwater combats I've played in gaming. I mean ..... it's not Mario Brothers .... but what is? I have been hoping for some time that a future expansion or a future Living World episode or two added more underwater and underwater combat. I think I'm one of the few people who kept weapons and gear up to date when it came to underwater combat. All my lvl 80's have Exotic weapons and well .... there are no Exotic breathers but I've gotten the best I can find on TP.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I read they will just buff the skills and utilities, atm theres nothing really to do with underwater gameplay.People shouldn't hype so much, later on they will bash anet for not delivering awesome uw content.I rather only expect what I read(buff to skills and utilities) and later be surprised if something big comes up, if nothing big comes after this I wont be disappointed either.

@Rasp Sabreblade.5421 said:Everyone is worried about aqua breathers and legendary weapons - SERIOUSLY????

What about the glaring fact the Revenant can only use 2 out of 6 legends underwater and only has access to 1 underwater weapon. Anet would almost have to release an entire revenant revamp to make this work or they just shelved the Rev.

Then Rev's can sit on the beach in our chairs (yep, chairs are more important then the cancer that is Mes, Necro & Warrior in WvW) and wave to the other professions as they swim into the next LS update (speculation on the LS), but I truly believe the revenant will get screwed again. Maybe Anet will add a bend over emote just for Revenant, since they don't/won't know how to fix the issues. And yes, I have posted examples of how to address some of the issues (even underwater).

Hey, Engi has only 1 underwater weapon too and all the professions have limited access to their pool of utilities underwater

@Lumpy Forehead.2193 said:

@Rasp Sabreblade.5421 said:Everyone is worried about aqua breathers and legendary weapons - SERIOUSLY????

What about the glaring fact the Revenant can only use 2 out of 6 legends underwater and only has access to 1 underwater weapon. Anet would almost have to release an entire revenant revamp to make this work or they just shelved the Rev.

Then Rev's can sit on the beach in our chairs (yep, chairs are more important then the cancer that is Mes, Necro & Warrior in WvW) and wave to the other professions as they swim into the next LS update (speculation on the LS), but I truly believe the revenant will get screwed again. Maybe Anet will add a bend over emote just for Revenant, since they don't/won't know how to fix the issues. And yes, I have posted examples of how to address some of the issues (even underwater).

Hey, Engi has only 1 underwater weapon too and all the professions have limited access to their pool of utilities underwater

Yeah it's not really the same thing. The engineer profession doesn't have weapon switching at all so it's not as bad that they (and elementalists) only have one weapon type. Engineer also has actual choices to make when it comes to the underwater skills they use. They can use elixir gun and other kits, for example.

Revenant has weapon switching so it has two underwater weapon slots but can only use spears. It can only equip Demon and Assassin Legends underwater, it can't use the elite Legends at all, which means there's no choice at all in a revenant's underwater skill selection, you have to use those Legends and a spear, or two spears if you want.

One problem I hope they address is that (at least for Elementalist) the underwater skills are restrictive in terms of builds. If I'm running a hybrid Sword/Dagger build with say Viper's or Griever's stats and go underwater, my damage output is crippled due to Trident not really being a condi-focused weapon (it's more like Power with some CC thrown in.)

If the next expansion revolves around water - eww, that'd be disgusting!That's like in the 90s, when you had to buy a full 2-CD set just because of ONE TRACK you liked. Now I don't want to miss out on on any content, but when it's underwater-themed, that'd ruin my day(s).

Underwater thief. Wow. Stealing your bikinis!

Excelsior.

I hope they fix a bunch of stuff underwaterCertain elites don't work underwater at all, an example would be Dragonhunter.Traps don't work underwater at all. which means you have use base utility moves.It's not bad but, I WOULD want alterative traps that work underwater instead, like underwater combat only moves or change the way that move works underwater.As it stands certain classes/elites don't have any decent utility skills underwater and if they are working on map with heavy underwater fighting, then this issue should be addressed.

Also underwater logic is messed up atm.A Warrior can't Headbutt underwater but can still shout... shouting underwater...

@"Zedek.8932" said:Underwater thief. Wow. Stealing your bikinis!

Yes, because the GW2 thief is comitting so much real theft on land.

Anyways, can't wait for the update! :) Less than two days to go. <3 Got really excited about it last night when doing the Koda dungeon paths, of which two involve underwater combat, and was thinking, "Two days from now, this will probably be so much easier to handle for everyone." B)

For me, personally, I have a destroyer themed main character. I love underwater combat, but despise the fact the only destroyerlooking helmet is is the Hellfire headpiece. His piece is obviously hidden when underwater.The perfect QoL part to go with this update would be for us to have access to all helmet skins for our underwater breathers.

I can already hear the argument “but that wouldn’t be lore friendly, we need mechanical filters underwater to breathe”.When was the last time anet considered lore when adding gimmicks/extra’s? (No offense to anet)

@Ayakaru.6583 said:For me, personally, I have a destroyer themed main character. I love underwater combat, but despise the fact the only destroyerlooking helmet is is the Hellfire headpiece. His piece is obviously hidden when underwater.The perfect QoL part to go with this update would be for us to have access to all helmet skins for our underwater breathers.

I can already hear the argument “but that wouldn’t be lore friendly, we need mechanical filters underwater to breathe”.When was the last time anet considered lore when adding gimmicks/extra’s? (No offense to anet)

I like your idea. I mean we probably do need filters to breathe underwater. But then again, who goes swimming in haevy armor? So yes, let's do underwater fashion wars!

A simple solution could be to combine headgear and breather skins into a new category named headgear and make it so that breathers use skins from that category. While at it, add the rime rimmed breather with it's effect to the newly created category.

Archived