would you be willing to pay a subscription

Tort.1975

@Sinful.2165 said:I think it's pretty funny that so many players balk at the idea of paying a subscription for a game they invest SO MUCH TIME into.

How much does going to the theatre and watching a movie - alone, no food/drink - just the ticket for admission? Around $14. For maybe 2 hours of entertainment. Gods forbid you spend that same amount of money per month on entertainment. That's 720 hours on average. Somehow you all are willing to pay $14 for 2 hours, but not 720?

Do you like amazing new updates to come regularly? Do you enjoy your favorite game not being AT ALL pay-to-win? Guess what! There's an entire team of skilled professionals that produce that content. They pay soooooo much for bandwidth so all you cheapskates can connect to their service and enjoy their hard work.

GW2 is one of the absolute few games that haven't gone disgustingly P2W with their gem store and doesn't charge a subscription fee. It's an endangered species balanced in a precarious position where there is really no better options on the market. I guarantee when a more modern MMO is released - subscription or not - GW2 will be hurting for resources. All the people left behind who think $14/month is too steep are not going to be keeping the servers online.

Your math is misleading. Yes technically if you pay a 30 day subscription you get 720 hours of game time, but it's physically impossible to actually use all of them because you'd have to go without sleep and then you would literally die. Or you'd fall asleep at the computer out of sheer exhaustion. And that's just 1 factor - that's assuming you have nothing else in your life except the one game, and somehow money to pay for it and the computer, internet connection and electricity to run it.

If you've been reading the comments you'll know one of the major reasons a lot of people are unwilling to pay a subscription is that we're not in that situation, or even close to it. We have jobs and families and other hobbies and interests which take up our time, so that if we paid a subscription we'd end up paying for a lot of time we don't get to use. It's not that people can't afford it or don't want to pay for the game - it's that a subscription model does not offer good value for money unless you know in advance you'll have plenty of time to play, and will want to use it on that game.

In that situation buy-to-play works much better. You pay for the game or for DLC or in-game items or whatever and then it's available for you to use whenever you have time to play. And assuming the studio have priced things appropriately to cover their costs it results in the same thing for them - they have money to keep developing the game.

Also I tend to think the cinema is a bad analogy (even though it's the one everyone always uses, maybe for this reason) because IMO full price cinema tickets aren't good value. It doesn't have the same problem as a game subscription, at least for me - if I buy a ticket to see a movie I've already made sure I'm going to be free for those 2 hours and that I want to spend it watching this movie, but it is expensive for what you get. But then there's so many deals around these days that it's easy to avoid that, I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a cinema ticket.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason i play gw2 and not other mmos is mostly a matyer of obligatory sunscription fees, i would love to try out Ff14 but i dont want to keep paying for something i already bought. Subscriptions also put you in this weird position where you have to constantly play to feel like you get your money's worth out of it.

I'd be down to a Voluntary (Premium) Subscription model with no p2w aspects. Maybe cosmetic benefits like exclusive mount skins or like an exclusive legendary gizmo(only available in PvP atm). Mistfire Wolf would be cool to get as well. Maybe a custom title. Maybe if you play on a free account, and buy the sub, you could be upgraded into a core account.But the thing is, even if I'd be okay supporting ANet with a subscription, I don't want to force it on everyone and I don't want it to have any unfair benefits, because that would make me feel like a scrub, which I'm not.

It goes against the game paying a sub. But, I do wish to support the game when I put so many hours in, so most months I buy gems.

Honestly I was talking about this stuff in map chat in DR last night. I wish they would offer free premium area trials once a month or something. Show people what they are missing. F2P should get a bit more incentive in my opinion.

@maddoctor.2738 said:If you answered yes in the poll: set a goal for yourself and start buying a set amount of gems every month. Here, you got a subscription.

Lol Id pay a sub fee if the game gave me as much content as other mmos with sub fees. In itw current state it doesnt even deserve microtransactions.

But ye in your eyes pof has given us more content in terms of raids and fractals than hot did.

I still have no idea any reason people would be against a sub. It would not affect a single player who doesn't sign up so I don't see why people care.

It could be something as little as

Gain x amount of gems a month (whatever equals the subs fee worth as normal price). Gain 10% more xp at all times. Maybe some transmutation stones and a couple black lion keys or something. Or maybe free teleports.

This wouldn't make one single affect on anyone who doesn't play the game as this game has no p2w features in game. If a player wants it they can get it if not who cares.

People act like if they add an optional sub fee to the game everyone who gets it automatically gets a dps increase and free full legendary armor sets with extra bonuses and 10 free legendary weapons every time they login. A sub fee would only help the game while in no way affecting any player not subbed.

@Fenom.9457 said:Absoultely i will pay if Anet hires more employees to make more content.

More content = more money.Quality of content can increase money

Again, check the comparissons between Destiny 2 (a paid game with paid updates) vs Warframe (a free game with what's widely considered one of, if not the, fairest premium stores in the world).> @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

I would be paying a subscription even without anything added.

Subscription models are just that much better.Why? Because if they can get money without the need of a cashshop, it means that all the skin content and other "comfort" items could be obtained through playing the game.Which is... kinda the point of a game. Playing it.

Of course that's ONLY if the gemstore stops being a thing.

Except that nowadays all subscription games also have a premium store. Do they have less stuff on offer, sure, but they still have it.

@Yannir.4132 said:I'd be down to a Voluntary (Premium) Subscription model with no p2w aspects. Maybe cosmetic benefits like exclusive mount skins or like an exclusive legendary gizmo(only available in PvP atm). Mistfire Wolf would be cool to get as well. Maybe a custom title. Maybe if you play on a free account, and buy the sub, you could be upgraded into a core account.But the thing is, even if I'd be okay supporting ANet with a subscription, I don't want to force it on everyone and I don't want it to have any unfair benefits, because that would make me feel like a scrub, which I'm not.

Thing is, these things eventually downgrade into the subscribers asking for more than non-subscribers.Also, like me, and others have said, more money doesn't equal better quality. In fact it can men just the oposite. 2017 was arguably the best year in terms of finance for GW2, and yet that money didn't translate into an improvement in the game's quality.

@Sinful.2165 said:I think it's pretty funny that so many players balk at the idea of paying a subscription for a game they invest SO MUCH TIME into.

How much does going to the theatre and watching a movie - alone, no food/drink - just the ticket for admission? Around $14. For maybe 2 hours of entertainment. Gods forbid you spend that same amount of money per month on entertainment. That's 720 hours on average. Somehow you all are willing to pay $14 for 2 hours, but not 720?

Do you like amazing new updates to come regularly? Do you enjoy your favorite game not being AT ALL pay-to-win? Guess what! There's an entire team of skilled professionals that produce that content. They pay soooooo much for bandwidth so all you cheapskates can connect to their service and enjoy their hard work.

GW2 is one of the absolute few games that haven't gone disgustingly P2W with their gem store and doesn't charge a subscription fee. It's an endangered species balanced in a precarious position where there is really no better options on the market. I guarantee when a more modern MMO is released - subscription or not - GW2 will be hurting for resources. All the people left behind who think $14/month is too steep are not going to be keeping the servers online.

LOL GW1 is still going with a healthy population and that game is 13 years old. I know quite a few people who play both GW's regularly including myself. We've done fine w/o a sub and as long as people keep pouring cash into the cosmetics there is no doom and gloom. Anet prided themselves on the fact that not only was GW2 unlike other MMO's when they released it but also the fact you DIDN'T have to pay a sub fee. That's a big Ol' double NO to the poll

I would vote for No, but went with Other just cause i dont want another profession(they cant balance the ones we have right now, add another wont help), dont care for housing(why dont play Sims or whatever if you want that lol) and I am also against new races(they wont fit the story and we allready have races that are neglected by the writers, Norns and Charrs)...more skins would be nice.

@Tasida.4085 said:

How much does going to the theatre and watching a movie - alone, no food/drink - just the ticket for admission? Around $14. For
maybe
2 hours of entertainment. Gods forbid you spend that same amount of money per
month
on entertainment. That's 720 hours on average. Somehow you all are willing to pay $14 for 2 hours, but not 720?

LOL GW1 is still going with a healthy population and that game is 13 years old. I know quite a few people who play both GW's regularly including myself. We've done fine w/o a sub and as long as people keep pouring cash into the cosmetics there is no doom and gloom. Anet prided themselves on the fact that not only was GW2 unlike other MMO's when they released it but also the fact you DIDN'T have to pay a sub fee. That's a big Ol' double NO to the poll

You know that's because anet uses all the infrastructure running GW2 to support GW right? It costs them next to nothing to keep that game online because it piggy backs off what they already do for GW2. GW is basically an extension of GW2 via hall of monuments. It's otherwise a dead game? Asheron's Call had a dedicated player base but the remaining players couldn't keep the servers online or the content coming. Same story with GW when GW2 bites the dust.

@Sinful.2165 said:

How much does going to the theatre and watching a movie - alone, no food/drink - just the ticket for admission? Around $14. For
maybe
2 hours of entertainment. Gods forbid you spend that same amount of money per
month
on entertainment. That's 720 hours on average. Somehow you all are willing to pay $14 for 2 hours, but not 720?

You know that's because anet uses all the infrastructure running GW2 to support GW right? It costs them next to nothing to keep that game online because it piggy backs off what they already do for GW2. GW is basically an extension of GW2 via hall of monuments. It's otherwise a dead game? Asheron's Call had a dedicated player base but the remaining players couldn't keep the servers online or the content coming. Same story with GW when GW2 bites the dust.

ROFL 13+ years later (HUGE maybe) for GW2, which unless the world goes into ww3 or something isn't gonna happen anytime soon. Still big NO on p2p. And GW1 is far from dead.....hit Spamadan mid week not to mention weekends. Whatever the means for GW1 it's still a healthy viable game and it's STILL RUNNING. It's like saying the sky is going to fall....the sky is going to fall to say GW2 will die out if no p2p. We know how that story ended

@Sylent.3165 said:I still have no idea any reason people would be against a sub. It would not affect a single player who doesn't sign up so I don't see why people care.Try reading again. People have explained why they are against it and why it affects every single player, whether they sign up or not.

The existing system already allows those who want to pay more per month to pay more per month and to choose exactly which cosmetic & convenience perks they want.

As an example, US$10/month will get you a new character each month and US$20 will get you a new level 80 character each month.

I don´t know if you know something about corporations or public accounting, but it´s basically the same with subscription as with taxes.

You pay taxes for public services like policing and street repair. Of course you will sooner or later feel that street repair comes rather low on the priority list of most communities because you run in the same hole in the street for basically years and then you see a group of policemen who sit around and eat their breakfast in no hurry because there is no current emergency they have to respond to. Of course you will complain about how the stupid cops waste your money and the street maintenance department never fixes a hole in the street and just forget about the literally millions of other holes on the street that have to be stuffed or the number of small scale criminality that would take place in your neighborhood if said lazy cops would not be there.

As with taxes the subscription of a game neither guarantees you that stuff you like will be done, just that something will be done with your money. Said something could be something vital like the payment of salaries, or it could be something of minor interest like toilet paper for the employees. Of course it makes planning for the accounting department easier, but is that really our concern?

tl,dr: Subscription without guaranteed purpose is likely to end up stuffed in a hole you not even knew it existed.

Cheapskate?

I have spent far more on this game than would be the case if I had been spending your described $14 per month on sub fees.

And I would leave were the financial model changed to a subscription. It is not a matter of money, but rather how that money is expected to be paid.

I dunno, one of the joys about this game is logging on and catching up with someone who hasn't logged on in 6 months - I doubt people would be inclined to come back if they had to commit to subs, which is kind of lame if you're only logging in to see what's happened in Living World. Making the game pay to play would kinda ruin the casual "pick up the game at any time" spirit Anet seem to have been striving for, and which is a big appeal of this game.

Let me begin with saying that I know this is a touchy subject and that there will be some strong opinions for and against it, so here go's.So we all know that there are features and content that we want integrated in to game such as

-New racesDon't care about new races.-New classesNot sure how many new classes are left that can't be covered by the Elite Specialization system anyway.-player housingDon't care for Player Housing.-more armor/weaponsThat's pretty much guaranteed anyway. But less focus on outfits would be nice.-quality of life featuresI just want saveable Build Templates for now.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a subscription. At least as it pertains to Guild Wars. I couldn't see myself supporting any other MMO, but I'm a bit biased as this is the series that got me into MMOs, and it feels like nothing else has been able to hold my interest. Would definitely love to see it grow, just not in the ways mentioned here.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:Absoultely i will pay if Anet hires more employees to make more content.

More content = more money.Quality of content can increase money

Again, check the comparissons between Destiny 2 (a paid game with paid updates) vs Warframe (a free game with what's widely considered one of, if not the, fairest premium stores in the world).> @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

I would be paying a subscription even without anything added.

Subscription models are just that much better.Why? Because if they can get money without the need of a cashshop, it means that all the skin content and other "comfort" items could be obtained through playing the game.Which is... kinda the point of a game. Playing it.

Of course that's ONLY if the gemstore stops being a thing.

Except that nowadays all subscription games also have a premium store. Do they have less stuff on offer, sure, but they still have it.

@Yannir.4132 said:I'd be down to a Voluntary (Premium) Subscription model with no p2w aspects. Maybe cosmetic benefits like exclusive mount skins or like an exclusive legendary gizmo(only available in PvP atm). Mistfire Wolf would be cool to get as well. Maybe a custom title. Maybe if you play on a free account, and buy the sub, you could be upgraded into a core account.But the thing is, even if I'd be okay supporting ANet with a subscription, I don't want to force it on everyone and I don't want it to have any unfair benefits, because that would make me feel like a scrub, which I'm not.

Thing is, these things eventually downgrade into the subscribers asking for more than non-subscribers.Also, like me, and others have said, more money doesn't equal better quality. In fact it can men just the oposite. 2017 was arguably the best year in terms of finance for GW2, and yet that money didn't translate into an improvement in the game's quality.

Warframe doesnt get much content. It gets alot of updates which incentivise you to replay existing content/grind it.

I dont really want better content quality outside of bugs, production value of the fontent can be the same,i just want more of it.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Sylent.3165 said:I still have no idea any reason people would be against a sub. It would not affect a single player who doesn't sign up so I don't see why people care.Try reading again. People have explained why they are against it and why it affects every single player, whether they sign up or not.

The existing system already allows those who want to pay more per month to pay more per month and to choose exactly which cosmetic & convenience perks they want.

As an example, US$10/month will get you a new character each month and US$20 will get you a new level 80 character each month.

I dont want to pay for gemstore items, i want to pay more for more content.

I do not know how anyone can considder a system like pay 2 play be any good. In fact pay to play makes games worse not better WoW is the best example for this rule.

WoWs core design is not story or gamemechanics but a simple lootsystem and therefore they create new content that just makes the old content obsolete and til the last expansion they gave a shit about the rest of theire game which ended in lots of spaces to be completely empty.

Buy 2 play is a fair system for everyone as the gamedesigner get a reward for theire work which has to be good so people want to have it instead of a coregame you have to pay that is only expanded by another addons you have to pay for and so on.

The people here are allowed to spend theire money by free choice instead of beeing choked and said even you bought the game we do not let you play it anymore if you do not pay us even more. Pay 2 play is the cancer of the industry for consumers and most new P2P games just suck badly.

In fact if Star Wars The old republic had choosen for a buy 2 play system instead of theire shitty F2P and subscription system they would have had success even the gamemechanics are really oldstyle and often boring but people would be able to get the game in its full glory instead of a shadow that allways tell you you are not subscribing you are not getting to play properly (I have a F2P acc there that I started when F2P was implemented so I had the luck to get lots of those limitations limited to the auction house but even so lots of parts are restricted for me and thats mostly the reason I do not spend much time anymore playing it)

I can even tell by any means that all that complain about not enough content haven't seen the whole content before allready. I spend 3 months with one character only in the black citadell and have not even get all the content there and this content even changes from time to time not to mention lots of lots of events I never saw by now and for living story I have plenty of stuff left going back to LS Season 1 stuff.

People complaining about not enough content will nether get enough for theire kind of mindesetting as they are only focused at a certain part of the content that is limited in duration and range.

@"Endless Soul.5178" said:I've spent well over $1,500 USD on this game since March 2015. That's without a subscription. However, as others have mentioned above, the moment this game becomes subscription based, I'm out, and so is my money.

This is weird. You spend all that money mostly on your 5 million alts, right? All that stuff should/would be free then because of no Gemstore I guess (from the OP's idea at least).So with a subscription, you'd be much, much cheaper (roughly would've saved $1,000 - taking 40 months à $13 = $520), however, you would immediately quit if you had to pay a monthly fee. Mind to explain? And one of the other 8 upvoters, too, why they think that, uh, let's kindly call it "logic", is reasonable?

So far, many of the posters here (mostly 50%) are just barking because it'd cost money. Simple the principle of costing money. Others voiced their opinion which are fine and make sense, but your's really odd. Or just a part of the aforementioned 50%?

Archived